Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Problem description: Hello. I have an M2 drive and 4 HDDs (a,b,c, and d). This weekend I shifted things around my new case and now I can't get drives c + d to work / show in bios or windows. I'm hoping its some sort of bios conflict with the M2 or something and that I haven't blown them?
Attempted fixes: Rotated the sata / power plugs around the HDDs, the mb and psu. Drives a + b consistently work in whatever combination. Checked and reseated most of the plugs and cables and whatnot. Set the bios to default and changed any bios settings that looked promising. Looked for signs of life in bios and disk management.
I tried an old drive in there as well and I'm still pretty sure I could still only see drives a + b, which is why I'm hoping its a conflict and not a death sentence for any other drive nearby.
Recent changes: Rebuilt the pc in the new case a week back and all was working fine except the case had only had a 'cage' for 2 hdds so while another was on order, those 2 drives were sitting on the bottom of the case with a spot of velcro tape to secure (bad idea?). New cage arrived, put them in properly, now nothing from them.
--
Operating system: Current Windows 10 - 19042.630
System specs:
Asus Z370i mb / i5-8600k
Nvidia 3080
Corsair SF750 psu
Fractal Define 7 case
32gb ram
500gb M2 drive, 2x10tb drives 2x4gb drives (dead)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Any ideas appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure you're on latest motherboard BIOS.

Have you rotated the ports also? It's possible the power/SATA cables are okay but the ports aren't.

PS I'm assuming you mean 2x4tb drives. Because if they're 4GB then they're ancient and dead AFAIK. :laffo:

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Err yeah woops 4TB drives.
I think one popped up briefly when I turned the pc on this morning, so now wondering if its a power supply issue? This sucks!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Day 3: Bought a powered / usb HDD caddy to test things on. It will read an old ssd, but not an HDD. The PC will do the same.

Now working on the assumption that this room is cursed and is the doom of everything mechanical but the two remaining working HDDs. Will try the caddy on a laptop downstairs later.