Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Yeah, wool ftw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Socks aside, I went out for some practice yesterday (I feel like I'm getting there with a power stop even though that wasn't what I actually set out to do) and helped give a child some tips to get him from the classic "walking with wheels on" to "actually rolling a bit". Scoots! Practice your scoots!

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug

Literally A Person posted:

Prolly just get some quads

I did not do this.

mystes posted:

I would definitely take that. Just be aware that the sizing may be slightly more different between the macroblades and the twister xt than it would be with the rb skates, so make sure they fit ok and they're actually the right size for you when you get them.

I did do this.

It took another round of shipping drama but the Twister XTs finally arrived-- right when it's been raining for 3 days straight and also I'm about to go out of town for half a month. Oh well!! I put them on and scooted around in tiny loops in my house. Right away they felt much more maneuverable and fun than the Macroblades, I assume largely due to better wheels/bearings, but I think the hard boot also gave me a bit more confidence and made me feel less like a baby deer on ice. Kept the skates on for a while to test for hotspots and also because I was enjoying myself too much to want to take them off. I have somewhat wide feet + very high arches, and the fit is close, but it seems fine.

It freaked out my cat who is not used to seeing humans move like that. TBF if I saw a cat on wheels I might feel a bit freaked out too.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
I’ve heard good things about danish endurance socks from my inliner pals

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Falling down concrete ramps ftmfw

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm curious if other people think this video is correct or not:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6g4oTkND40

My issue is: when she shows video of speed skaters, they're using the double push technique, but when speed skaters don't use the double push technique and use classic form, don't they effectively do the thing she's claiming is a beginner mistake?

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 18, 2024

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I think she's right (I had lessons from her waaaayyy back when I first started, hi asha!), though showing speed skaters/the full crossing the center line stride is maybe a bit extreme and might get people a bit mixed up/thinking that they have to do it.

Also imo a bunch of those people used as examples are pronating like hell as well and not v-ing would help with that.

e: wow at the guy hitting 40mph with zero pads

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 19, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think physically you either need to use your front outside edges along the lines of the double push technique or you need to angle your skates and stay on your center edges (I think if you don't use your outside edges you have to v your skates at least slightly, because without stopping the horizontal motion by steering with your front edges you will be moving side to side more so in order for your front skate to be parallel to the direction of motion you would need to angle it).

I thought that in more traditional speed skating technique people did the latter, but maybe that isn't true (at least now). Looking at videos of ice speed skating, on straightaways I think it does seem like people do angle their skates out, though

I guess it's also possible that it used to be the case that inline speed skaters would angle their feet out and stay on their center edges, but that now the technique has been so influenced by the double push technique that even when not actually doing a double push people will still steer with their front edges?

I guess my main concern with the asha video is that, while the beginners she shows are clearly angling their skates too much and more importantly pronating, I feel like for beginners who aren't able to use their front edges that well it might not be helpful to tell them that they shouldn't be angling their feet at all, because that might not really be practical based on how they're skating?

If I saw a beginner pronating I would probably be inclined to give the opposite advice and encourage them to try to glide on their center edge while angling their skates slightly and doing a zig zag motion but ensuring that they are balancing cleanly with their weight over their front skate

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 19, 2024

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Anyone used the powerslide fat boy liners? I got the dreaded speed wobble and suspect it's my skinny ankles that aren't helping. These boots are maybe half a size too big as well.

Or it could be the 1mm rocker on a smooth road giving me less contact

mystes
May 31, 2006

If the boots are too big I don't think trying to fix that by replacing the liners is going to be an efficient use of your time or money.

You would probably be better off selling them for whatever you can get for them and buying new ones

It doesn't sound like the fat boy liners are super high volume or anything despite the name so I'm not sure they would fill in that much space

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Anyone used the powerslide fat boy liners? I got the dreaded speed wobble and suspect it's my skinny ankles that aren't helping. These boots are maybe half a size too big as well.

Or it could be the 1mm rocker on a smooth road giving me less contact

Hmmm, probably should pick up some quads....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

mystes posted:

If the boots are too big I don't think trying to fix that by replacing the liners is going to be an efficient use of your time or money.

You would probably be better off selling them for whatever you can get for them and buying new ones

It doesn't sound like the fat boy liners are super high volume or anything despite the name so I'm not sure they would fill in that much space

tbh I have a pair of 9s in the same boot (shell size steps down between 9.5 and 9 though) and it's not really any different. The actual foot fit is fine, it's just the ankle where it can only tighten so much because of the plastic cuff.

I could trim some more of it off I guess, these are FR1s so you can trim the ratchet strap on the buckle and the plastic "tongue" thing at the front, that might be the better one as it limits how much you can close it up.

Ultimately though, might just be skinny ankles.