Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Someone should tell J.K Simmons that he's too good for this then

I mean, he is, but this is also the 2nd most spot-on JK casting behind Spiderman's JJ Jameson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

he really makes omni man

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

They have a lot of great casting but then when they need to fill out the roster they let the few actual voice actors in the cast take on a ton of voices. Like in addition to Monster Girl, Grey DeLise also performs Shrinking Rae, Olga, Betsy Wilkins, Polly and Thula.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Jason Manzoukas' voice makes Rex sound distractingly old imo.

The casting, in general, is wild to me. Single episode cameos from Jonathan Groff or Jeffrey Donovan to play, like, random walk-ons. Or Callista Flockhart playing the babysitter.

I guess if you have the money.

Jon Hamm as Steve! It does seem a little over-cast to me, budget is always a consideration as far as renewals and it seems like an unnecessary cost to me. Not that they’re bad performances, everyone is doing a great job, but I don’t know how much more we’re getting out of Oscar nominee Sterling K Brown playing Angstrom Levy instead of Phil Lamarr.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Considering the huge cost of the voice cast I'm a bit disappointed. A lot of the dialogue sounds really unnatural. I don't know if it's the script or the voice direction or what, and I can't quite put my finger on it but it feels off.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
JK is killing it and Mark is usually pretty good, but a lot of the other characters just feel like people reading a script into a microphone. Even knowing that BugWife is Rhea Seehorn I still can't really hear that it's her, even after 6 seasons of BCS.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Why doesn't Robot have Rex's powers in his clone body?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Basically everyone in the invincible universe kirkman bothers to give an origin, and whose powers don’t originate from ‘is an alien’ are either government experiments, tech, or mystical object/curse. I honestly don’t even remember Rex’s origin but it’s probably not something cloning would duplicate. Not a bunch of mutants running around in the world, generally

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Maybe he would if he had made himself older. I have no idea when Rex got his powers and I don't feel like they've mentioned it for most people aside from Mark and Eve.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Good Citizen posted:

Basically everyone in the invincible universe kirkman bothers to give an origin, and whose powers don’t originate from ‘is an alien’ are either government experiments, tech, or mystical object/curse. I honestly don’t even remember Rex’s origin but it’s probably not something cloning would duplicate. Not a bunch of mutants running around in the world, generally

Basically yeah, there are very few cases of regular humans who just naturally have powers in this setting so robot not having them suggests there's an external reason why Rex has his powers.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Nuebot posted:

Basically yeah, there are very few cases of regular humans who just naturally have powers in this setting so robot not having them suggests there's an external reason why Rex has his powers.

I didn't read the comic so if this is a spoiler it's from this thread, but I think he said it in the show.

Didn't someone abuse and experiment on him?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I don't think the exact specifics of Rex came up beyond Rex saying that Rudy stealing his DNA is making his childhood even worse than it already was.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I don't think the exact specifics of Rex came up beyond Rex saying that Rudy stealing his DNA is making his childhood even worse than it already was.

Eve also mentioned that he was homeless when they first met, so his childhood sounds like it was pretty lovely, yeah.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

In the comics, there was another "Invincible Presents:" that went into Rex's background, much like Eve's. They may do a special episode between seasons for him

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It is darkly funny that he basically literally had the dickhead shot out of him.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

rex was extremely annoying and not funny at all before he got shot in the head but now he's okay

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

roomtone posted:

rex was extremely annoying and not funny at all before he got shot in the head but now he's okay

Young people think they're indestructible even when they don't have superpowers. Eventually something brings them down to earth and they realise they're mortal. That's usually when the arrogance gets knocked out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It’s so weird that people expect TV shows that present only moral exemplars who don’t make mistakes. People get upset at current storylines because they could lead to storylines they don’t like.