Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

AlphaKeny1 posted:

There are a lot of starter decks as well as the champion decks mentioned above which aren't tournament legal but that should hardly matter. It looks like there are some Pikachu and Eevee starter decks from several years ago that aren't super marked up. There are also battle decks which are very low powered and meant to get you started right out of the box with 2 decks.

https://www.pokemoncenter.com/category/battle-and-theme-decks

You could also go a different route and buy a Build and Battle from one of the latest sets for about $20 which can then be supplemented with boosters and a trainer kit. If she loves to just open product I would go this route and encourage casual deck building, it's what I do with my nephew.

Thank you, exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The Battle Academy could also be a really good route. It's a set of a hard playboard with rules and turn order stuff all written out on it along with 3 premade decks (including one focused on an older Eevee). As I recall it even has a tutorial you can run through with one of the unshuffled decks to get a feel for how the game flows. It's like $20 on the Pokemon Center and you could potentially find it even cheaper at game shops.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The Battle Academy could also be a really good route. It's a set of a hard playboard with rules and turn order stuff all written out on it along with 3 premade decks (including one focused on an older Eevee). As I recall it even has a tutorial you can run through with one of the unshuffled decks to get a feel for how the game flows. It's like $20 on the Pokemon Center and you could potentially find it even cheaper at game shops.

It’s pretty consistently $12 at target and Amazon too. I think there’s a refresh soon

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

What’s the best way to learn how to play the game and deckbuilding? I understand there was just a standard rotation with the new set that just came out, so I’m kinda interested in relearning the game and going to local events

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

What’s the best way to learn how to play the game and deckbuilding? I understand there was just a standard rotation with the new set that just came out, so I’m kinda interested in relearning the game and going to local events

A few months ago I got two premade decks from Target for my partner to mess around without needing to deckbuild. We both got back into the grove of the rules pretty quickly (me: played first set in the 90s and took a long break, her: played casually with me only during the BW block). If you have someone to play with that should unearth your memories of how to play.

Otherwise, I play on the Pokemon Live app. Play moves ~kind of~ quickly but they recently introduced a log feature where you can see every play that was made.

As for deckbuilding, I don't have a ton of experience here but I am at other games. For Pokemon, it seems like there's no magic ratio of card types and depends on what your deck is trying to do. The game seems really hosed up, in a good way, for how you can use the deck or discard to thin out card ratios and Tutor our what you need. Some decks want to slam cards into the discard for easy retrieval.

My request to the thread:
I was using the Quaxly premade deck and that was overly efficient. Some cards rotated out, though, and I'm not sure what to move on to. Any suggestions from the thread? I have like 4k of the card-creation currency on Live so I can probably make whatever. I don't like the Lugia deck I've been seeing a bunch in meta.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 5, 2024

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

What do you do with cards that have rotated out? Sell em, keep em, trade em?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Ropes4u posted:

What do you do with cards that have rotated out? Sell em, keep em, trade em?

I don't think you can do anything with them on the web app. It pretty much tosses you so much in game currency* that you can build whatever you want.

*you can't directly buy currency

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
BUY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I have a bunch of first edition cards that I'm trying to get valued and sell. Does anyone have a good resource for doing so? I would prefer not to sell on Ebay.