Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouchehog
Dec 19, 2002

The Campaign for Badger Rights
Forgive what may be a very dumb question. I've been wiring up parts of my house with ethernet. Almost all of the runs could have been done with cat 5e as nothing is too demanding on bandwidth - just 4k TVs. The 15m run from my NAS to my main PC is different - it absolutely needs solid gigabit speeds and would benefit from much higher speeds. I intend to get a 10-gig switch and card for that link. Likewise the 30m run up to the attic/loft may well, in the future, need 10-gig speeds as it will need to be switched up there to feed the bedrooms, so that cable is a significant potential bottleneck (although I don't intend to run that as 10-gig until I actually see issues).

I went with cat7 for everything on the basis that the cost of a 100m drum was not that more expensive and *shrugs* why not try and future proof.

The electrician I got to run the cables is used to cat5 but is new to cat7. The cables are are being pinned out as patch cables, i.e. straight through, and terminated in rj-45. When I then plug them in to test I'm only getting 100mb speeds (c.93mb on real tests) and the hardware reports the cable as 100mb not gigabit (1,000mb). This is on every cable. Using a store-purchased Cat6a 30m cable gives me gigabit speeds (c.600mb on real tests) on the same equipment.

I appreciate that I'm not using 10-gig equipment but my understanding was that cat7 was backward compatible using a rj-45 connection and would be recognised as gigabit capable by normal equipment and as a 10-gig cable by suitable equipment.

Am I wrong here? Is cat7 only useable at 100mb unless you have a complete 10-gig infrastructure? I can't see why it would be but nor can I see what the current issue is. My electrician suggests that cat7 loses speed over distance (which I agree with but the whole point of the certification is that it should handle 600Mhz over 100m and none of the runs is remotely that long, so this should not be an issue) and that I would need 10-gig equipment (which I accept in order to test 10-gig speeds but don't see why I should not get gigabit speeds using my current stuff, nor do I understand why it would then work at 100mb speeds).

Any ideas? I could pull it all out and use cat6a but that seems like a huge waste in cost and effort.

Tl;dr: Cat 7 over a 30m or less run, terminated with rj45 and pinned out as straight through/patch should work with my existing gigabit infrastructure, right?

Bouchehog fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Electricians have no clue how to wire network stuff. Show a pic of what was done.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Yeah if it's negotiating at 100BASE-TX then the electrician hosed it up, either do it yourself or find a low voltage guy to do it

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

It’s easy to blame the electrician but you should work forward to the wiring and not backwards from it, what’s your network look like? Are your switches and devices configured appropriately for auto negotiation? You can also run gigabit perfectly fine over 5e, half my work network infrastructure is 5e being fed from 10g bonded fiber and I don’t have any issues

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
wtf does that even mean? The wiring is obviously hosed up.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

It’s easy to blame the electrician but you should work forward to the wiring and not backwards from it, what’s your network look like?
OP got proper gigabit speeds with a different cable. Equipment isn’t the problem.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I'm just guessing here, but my understanding is that Cat6/7 need to be terminated with shielded and isolated end points, as demoed in this video. I'd guess they are terminated with the simpler 'thread and crimp' end points?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

redeyes posted:

Electricians have no clue how to wire network stuff.

Is this ever the truth.

There are pretty strict guidelines for network cabling. Shielding, termination, distance to 110VAC wiring, bend radius, stretching...

Any sparky worth his salt will have a proper network tester (no that's not the 30 dollar one off of aliexpress) and give you a report when he's done. (They never do that.)

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Cat7 is shielded and you should use rj49 not rj45 connectors. The good news for your installer is they're pretty much identical to wire and the only difference is the interaction with shielding.

It's very unlikely there's anything wrong with the wire with such a short run. Especially for 1g or even 10g speeds. It's just the crimping & the connector that are likely incorrect.

In the meantime, you could check to see if all of the wires are inserted into the rj45 head with the correct pinout. Cat5/Cat6 will negotiate at 100mbps instead of 1gbps if it doesn't have good contact with the 2 tx & 2 rx cables inside on both sides of the cable. Pins 1,2,3,6 are what matter. There are rj45 & rj49 pinout diagrams on google images. Wires can be inserted too far or pulled back and not make correct contact inside the connector. If even one of those four pins is off it will potentially negotiate at 100mbps instead of 1gbps.

If the rj45 aren't correctly done I'd consider doing it myself or using someone else, but if the electrician is someone you know or have used a lot and they're receptive to feedback then the choice is yours.

I'm genuinely curious if the wires are pinned correctly because intuitively I wouldn't expect cat7 to negotiate at sub 1gbps with rj45 but I've never tried it.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 28, 2021

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010

Khorne posted:

It's very unlikely there's anything wrong with the wire with such a short run. Especially for 1g or even 10g speeds. It's just the crimping & the connector that are likely incorrect.

This, very very likely something isn't crimped right in the keystone jack / rj45. It gets a bit tougher terminating the higher cat cables with solid core and the ton of shielding they have.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

redeyes posted:

Electricians have no clue how to wire network stuff. Show a pic of what was done.

Boy is this ever the case. I finished up the wiring in a friends place and there were so many little things wrong like network cables running parallel to mains power or a mix of Cat-5e and Cat-6 which made things more annoying than they needed to be.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
I had a bunch of cat7 cables and they were nice with braided jackets and all and a bunch of them failed after a few years. I read cat7 isn’t even a real standard yet so I wired my house cat6. The electrician needed lots of guidance but it wasn’t a big deal because he was 1000x better at pulling cables through my wall than I would be. I would 100% hire him to run network cables for me again.

I specifically asked him if he knew how to do cat6 and he was honest about never working with it and I showed him what a pita it was and why I asked and gave him a bunch of factory assembled cables to run.

I guess get a cable tester and go to work and in the future remember that electricians are used to dealing with light switches and not network cables. :(

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Cat 6 isn’t a PITA if all you are doing is punching it down instead of crimping. Which is what you should be doing for wall runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Cyks posted:

Cat 6 isn’t a PITA if all you are doing is punching it down instead of crimping. Which is what you should be doing for wall runs.

Any run of cable that enters a wall, crawlspace, attic or drop ceiling space should be punched down into keystone jacks. Solid wire does NOT like bending, but that's what stranded patch cables are for.