Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

This is just their joke but significantly worse, great work

tyvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

This was real good

For MOTD they should just remove the commentators and allow randomly selected fans to commentate on their teams highlights for 3 minutes

That was one of the red button options on Sky Sports for a while. Turns out it was utter poo poo, and also kept racking up fines for language, sexism, racism, and all the other things that you'd expect when you give some random "character" a mic and tell them to get on with it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

sticksy posted:

That ITK:

And now we know the real reason he had to go, he knew too much.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That was one of the red button options on Sky Sports for a while. Turns out it was utter poo poo, and also kept racking up fines for language, sexism, racism, and all the other things that you'd expect when you give some random "character" a mic and tell them to get on with it.
Vaguely remember one of these where they got a City and a United fan to commentate on the derby and it just so happened to be the one where City smashed United 6-1 at Old Trafford. Best detail was the City fan being from Manchester and the United fan being a Londoner.

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March
Exactly one other attempt has been made to recreate MOTD's surgically-middle-of-the-road presentation of football highlights, which must be both an incisive analysis of the matches and also accessible to the most casual of licence-paying fans. The pundits must be critical but personable, experienced but aspirational, Alan Hansen but Ian Wright.

What I'm ultimately asking, I suppose, is where did Andy Townsend park his truck?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

goddamnedtwisto posted:

also it was only ever fun if you enjoy watching a morbidly obese man whose team are winning 4-0 pulling up his shirt and rubbing his stomach approximately one inch from the face of an only marginally less morbidly obese man with his head in his hands

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

FullLeatherJacket posted:

also it was only ever fun if you enjoy watching a morbidly obese man whose team are winning 4-0 pulling up his shirt and rubbing his stomach approximately one inch from the face of an only marginally less morbidly obese man with his head in his hands

I was hoping no one saw me and my mate for the 1-6

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

tbf I can see why people enjoyed the 'bantz' bits that they showed later for a cheap laugh, but I would love to know from someone at Sky about how many people actually sat down each week to watch a live football match and decided that it would be improved by adding an audio track of essentially me and bape culture loudly arguing for 97 minutes about whether 1996 Robbie Fowler was better than 1999 Dwight Yorke (graded on dancing ability, coolness, dopeness, freshness, and number of reliant robins owned)

I would also like to know exactly how many people each week decided to switch on player cam, where you could watch what Wayne Rooney was doing at any given time (standing, looking, hacking up phlegm), as opposed to trivial elements of the sport like 'the ball' or so-called 'player in possession'

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The lads would love to hear such content!

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Wazzerphuk posted:

Exactly one other attempt has been made to recreate MOTD's surgically-middle-of-the-road presentation of football highlights, which must be both an incisive analysis of the matches and also accessible to the most casual of licence-paying fans. The pundits must be critical but personable, experienced but aspirational, Alan Hansen but Ian Wright.

What I'm ultimately asking, I suppose, is where did Andy Townsend park his truck?

Andy Townsend, sitting in a truck watching 6 camera angles of Ugo Ehiogu clearing the ball into the stands is the kind of coverage I miss.

If we could bring back Endsleigh League Extra too while we're at it, thanks.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Jack Wilshire's got a sad as hell interview with Ornstein about how tough it is when you're unsigned and fighting for a contract. It does give a lot of insight into life for the vast majority of people trying to make it in sport. For Wilshire it's different because he was such a star and public figure before being iced out, but a lot of the things he says and feelings he expresses are the sentiments shared by a lot of trialists.

He comes across as a nice enough guy and I hope he gets the chance to play somewhere else, because I do think there's a certain stigma he has in England that would make it hard for him to get the chance he wants.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Vinestalk posted:

Jack Wilshire's got a sad as hell interview with Ornstein about how tough it is when you're unsigned and fighting for a contract. It does give a lot of insight into life for the vast majority of people trying to make it in sport. For Wilshire it's different because he was such a star and public figure before being iced out, but a lot of the things he says and feelings he expresses are the sentiments shared by a lot of trialists.

He comes across as a nice enough guy and I hope he gets the chance to play somewhere else, because I do think there's a certain stigma he has in England that would make it hard for him to get the chance he wants.

Despite what he says in this interview, he does have the chance to play somewhere else if he wants - he just thinks he's too good for the teams that would actually hire him.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Vinestalk posted:

Apparently he was going to play in Serie B but couldn’t get a work permit due to Brexit stuff. He had some games for Bournemouth last year and it seems odd to me he hasn’t settled into the Championshp level.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Vinestalk posted:

He's still pricing himself out of a move to any club he's good enough to play for. Boo loving hoo. If he'd play for an average wage he'd be drowning in offers.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If the best offer he got was from a loving Serie B club I doubt wage demands have been his biggest problem

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Izzhov posted:

Despite what he says in this interview, he does have the chance to play somewhere else if he wants - he just thinks he's too good for the teams that would actually hire him.

sassassin posted:

He's still pricing himself out of a move to any club he's good enough to play for. Boo loving hoo. If he'd play for an average wage he'd be drowning in offers.

gently caress Jack Wilshere imo, just imo.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

He’s a wrong un

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
The Serie B team was Como (of the lake fame) and yeah, because of Brexit he can't sign for any Serie B team actually. Apparently he knows someone who knows somebody at the club and he was just training with them to stay fit.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

blue footed boobie posted:

Apparently he was going to play in Serie B but couldn’t get a work permit due to Brexit stuff. He had some games for Bournemouth last year and it seems odd to me he hasn’t settled into the Championshp level.

https://twitter.com/Lega_B/status/1432678947783942147?s=20

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
No Como

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
MLS is calling you jack

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Vinestalk posted:

His performance against Barcelona at Highbury is possibly the best I've ever seen from anyone in an arsenal shirt. He was absolutely ran into the ground that season and it probably ended his career, who knows what he could have become if we weren't so reliant on his creativity that season.

Hope he gets a second chance, his game was never about pace so there's always the chance of a late career renaissance.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Vinestalk posted:

Can't remember where, probably something pulled from a tabloid article, but I lol'd at the recent revelation that his 9-year son asked him why he's not playing anymore and that kids at school called him, "Jack Wheelchair." Some top bantz.

He could've been a great player, hard to say how it all went wrong between his numerous injuries, being overplayed, and his hard man / "I’m too good to play for X team" until no one else would take him attitude.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah he's had a lot of injury problems but he (allegedly, this all just scuttlebutt) really doesn't help himself by never sticking to training/rehab regimes when recovering from those injuries. Also he did apparently genuinely believe as soon as he went to Bournemouth he'd be their star player and even fancied his chances of getting back into the England team, which is all the funnier because of the period overlapped with Lingard's spell at West Ham (who of course Wilshere claimed had no place for a technical creative genius like himself).

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

sassassin posted:

yeah, supposedly Derby expressed an interest in signing him, then he asked for £80k a week and they Homered all the way back into the hedge and deleted his number

time to put out a sob story in the press about how your kid shouts at you every day to get up and go get a loving job

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/1433465364294381575?s=21

lmao

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The K in ITK stands for Khabib.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I wish it was little midget khabib instead of real khabib

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Corona to Xhaka is a done deal.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

hadji murad posted:

Corona to Xhaka is a done deal.

quote:

Arsenal’s Granit Xhaka ‘declined vaccine’ before testing positive for Covid-19

:dumbbravo:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Isn't this his second time getting the rona?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Don’t know, he refused the vaccine though.

At this point Covid is endemic to Arsenal Football Club.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I'd be pretty scared of contracting Arsenal if I was COVID.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Arsenal have had more cases this season than shots on target

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Bape Culture posted:

It's literally the only positive thing they have had this season.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Bape Culture posted:

Lmfao

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Someone make a September thread. Spurs fans take this opportunity to post the funny table in the OP

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Wake me up when September international break ends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3978342