Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

X-O posted:

Hey guys. I’m not going to be around much for a while. My mom passed away earlier tonight. She had a sudden sickness but didn’t suffer long for this specific instance. But she’d been fighting kidney disease for two years plus. She went peacefully with all our immediate family at her bedside. I could not ask for a better passing but I’m still kinda broken right now over the suddenness of it. I’ll be back later.

Even when you're ready for it and made peace with it, it can still be rough. Stay well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
this fuckin year man. my condolences. """glad""" she went peacefully but still, take your time and take care, be with your family

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

X-O posted:

Hey guys. I’m not going to be around much for a while. My mom passed away earlier tonight. She had a sudden sickness but didn’t suffer long for this specific instance. But she’d been fighting kidney disease for two years plus. She went peacefully with all our immediate family at her bedside. I could not ask for a better passing but I’m still kinda broken right now over the suddenness of it. I’ll be back later.

Sorry for your loss X-O

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Sorry for your loss. We’ll behave ourselves while you’re taking time away. Take care of yourself.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

My condolences for your loss.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

My sympathies to you and your family, X-O.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Dark Horse has been acquired by a video game company. Hope that works out better for them than it did for Valiant back in the day.

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1473257787446775814

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Looking them up, they're just a holdings company who only owns a bunch of other brands? Is that right?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Uthor posted:

Looking them up, they're just a holdings company who only owns a bunch of other brands? Is that right?

Yes

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I think this is especially interesting in light of Dark Horse announcing earlier this year that they were planning on entering the video game business. I wonder if this acquisition was already in the works at the time, what with Embracer being in the business of video games first and foremost.

On one hand you hate to see the continued consolidation of media companies into an increasingly smaller group of giant conglomerates, on the other hand the Hellboy video game will probably be pretty cool.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
A friend pointed out people going "OMG, they own Hellboy!" despite it being creator owned, but also I know Mignola doesn't have the movie rights. Does anyone know what DH has the rights to re: Hellboy, Sin City, Umbrella Academy, etc?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

A holdings company called the Embracer Group, not ominous at all.

Next thing you know they are naming a Covid variant on a Transformer villain or something.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

A holdings company called the Embracer Group, not ominous at all.

Next thing you know they are naming a Covid variant on a Transformer villain or something.

Get your booster shots people, don't wanna get unicron

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

JordanKai posted:

On one hand you hate to see the continued consolidation of media companies into an increasingly smaller group of giant conglomerates, on the other hand the Hellboy video game will probably be pretty cool.

I've got a video playthrough of the first Hellboy game on my YouTube channel. It's one of the worst games I've ever played and I've played a lot of dogshit.

There's also the second Hellboy game but I haven't tormented myself with that yet.

So much of Dark Horse stuff is licensed or creator owned, I'm guessing that they were acquired as a facilitator. Or maybe someone really wanted to make Barb Wire 2.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

I've got a video playthrough of the first Hellboy game on my YouTube channel. It's one of the worst games I've ever played and I've played a lot of dogshit.

There's also the second Hellboy game but I haven't tormented myself with that yet.

So much of Dark Horse stuff is licensed or creator owned, I'm guessing that they were acquired as a facilitator. Or maybe someone really wanted to make Barb Wire 2.

The Hellboy movie tie-in is a lot better than the first game, but it's still just a middling licensed beat 'em up. At least it means the games are on an upward trajectory. :buddy:

I do wonder if Dark Horse has any kind of hold on the creator-owned comics they publish. I wouldn't be surprised if they have right of first refusal at the very least, which would still make them valuable as an intermediary for Embracer.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Uthor posted:

Yeah, Embracer just spent a few billion acquiring Asmodee (board game manufacturer) as well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Thanks for all the well wishes earlier in the thread guys. Appreciate it. I've had a busy week and tried to distract myself with stuff as much as possible. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I hope everyone has a good Christmas, or whatever you celebrate if not that. Stay safe out there guys.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Merry Christmas BSS.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Thank you! I was unfortunately unable to visit my family this year due to really nasty NE weather and some worries about my dad's health, but I got to video chat with my parents and my brother and his wife today, and have a brief but pleasant visit with my wife's family and our baby niece.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Ryan Bodenheim passed last week.

Jonathan Hickman wrote about it here: https://3w3m.substack.com/p/bode

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Naomi trailer

https://twitter.com/ava/status/1474055589697187840?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

New thread for the new year!