Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Our leatherback nest hatched overnight! :kimchi: it’s the first successful leatherback nest here since 2007. Most of them crawled out of the nest, but we found 3 stragglers and got them to the water :unsmith:

https://i.imgur.com/QZIp39P.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Our leatherback nest hatched overnight! :kimchi: it’s the first successful leatherback nest here since 2007. Most of them crawled out of the nest, but we found 3 stragglers and got them to the water :unsmith:

https://i.imgur.com/QZIp39P.mp4

Well, that's adorable.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Star Trek Lower Decks is back for a new season!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Thwomp posted:

Star Trek Lower Decks is back for a new season!

That’s good! Strange New Worlds has also been solid.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

After upgrading my telescope gear we had the Not Actually Blue Moon, and I posted in my local community page for anyone who was keen to come have a look. It was a hit, so I decided I'd try do a monthly night just to share something I love, and before I know it I got contacted by one of the distributors to offer more gear for people to enjoy.

How cool is that?!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That's awesome! It sounds like the company is full of nerds who love what they make

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

That is super cool.

My wife loves her cheap telescope. We keep meaning to get out for one of those stargazing nights in one of the parks.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

A little while back I kind of accidentally invented a system that has had some quite positive effects. I have a bunch of very broad categories e.g.
- Fitness
- Survival Chores e.g doing the dishes
- Long Term Chores like cleaning the oven
- Garden
- Passive relaxation
- Hobby or Project relaxation
- Life Admin
- Reservist Admin

On any normal day, I try and do four items. Including the relaxation is important because when you blob out and don't do much, hey you've completed a quarter of your goals and are now relaxed enough to do something else!

I've been doing it about a month and I find that I feel less like I'm treading water, and I've got a few things done ahead of time. If I'm feeling tired I just find really simple things to do, and If I have lots of energy I do some extra. Generally it has been quite positive not only in getting things done, but also in reframing what I have done to realize that I am achieving things that I want to. It's also been quite a lot easier to stick to than I thought.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 2, 2023

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Here's something super awesome. I posted in my local neighborhood page about hosting a stargazing evening. We wound up with a whole bunch of people coming and going, and 6 or 7 telescopes set up!!
Including an absolute monster of a 16" that a guy had custom built. What an amazing evening!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That owns.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Today was my last morning patrol on the Seashore here. The sunrise did not disappoint :unsmith:

Hey, it’s me!

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Super opossum Awesome

stinkypete fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 5, 2023

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I am 69 days sober

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
nice

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Soul Dentist posted:

I am 69 days sober

Nice

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Nice!

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Hell yeah

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Nice!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
It's the only AA chip I would actually carry lol

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

:nice:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Had Sony headphones that finally broke too much for duct tape to fix & was relying on Amazon basic fitness headphones that liked to switch to deafening mode without warning, so got wirecutter recommended earbuds at a reasonable price & holy cow that’s an upgrade, I’m late to the party but fun to pop them out of the case and they’re already on without having to fiddle with holding down an on button.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Had Sony headphones that finally broke too much for duct tape to fix & was relying on Amazon basic fitness headphones that liked to switch to deafening mode without warning, so got wirecutter recommended earbuds at a reasonable price & holy cow that’s an upgrade, I’m late to the party but fun to pop them out of the case and they’re already on without having to fiddle with holding down an on button.

The new wireless earbuds (all the brands) have come a long way from just a few years ago. I love wearing mine when shopping for noise cancellation.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Currently sitting in a lodge in Shenandoah national park, sipping a coffee next to a crackling fireplace.

Got here in the afternoon yesterday, hit up Hawksbill summit and Dark Hollow Falls before going to hang out at the taproom in Big Meadows’ lodge.

Hawksbill:

2 steps of Dark Hollow Falls:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Icon Of Sin posted:

Currently sitting in a lodge in Shenandoah national park, sipping a coffee next to a crackling fireplace.

Got here in the afternoon yesterday, hit up Hawksbill summit and Dark Hollow Falls before going to hang out at the taproom in Big Meadows’ lodge.

Hawksbill:

2 steps of Dark Hollow Falls:

Hell yeah, Shenandoah is a magical place. I’m also very partial to George Washington National Forest and also the Canaan Valley in WV.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Hell yeah, Shenandoah is a magical place. I’m also very partial to George Washington National Forest and also the Canaan Valley in WV.

It really is, and it’s more or less a day trip if you live in northern VA.

If you’re a veteran, you can pick up one of the Inter-Agency passes that waives your entrance fee at various federal recreation areas. The card says it’s good for sites belonging to:

NPS
Fish/Wildlife Service
Bureau of Land Management (the other BLM :v: )
Forest Service
Army corps of engineers
And the Bureau of Reclamation (idk who this even is, but they’re on the card).

Covers entry fees, but not anything else (not activities, camp sites, etc). Shenandoah is normally $30 for a week-long pass (for one vehicle), but the inter-agency pass got me in for free :)

We gently caress up a lot of things in the US, but the National Park System is one of the best ideas we’ve ever had. It has the most beautiful landscapes I’ve ever come across, and any day spent in any of the national parks is not a wasted day.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Got around to rewatching Andy Daly’s Review, still amazing & I like the attention to continuity & how James Urbaniak is nudging him to ruin his life. Picking up details like how from the start Daly is out of pocket for all expenses but never questions it even when he’s paying $200k for space tickets or $40k for a five minute cameo.

Pancakes Divorce Pancakes is one of the greatest tv eps of all time.

Also got around to watching the Onion’s Porkin Across America & that was also great and feels like a Review prequel.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

The new RoboCop documentary is incredibly good, when I heard about it I thought it was going to be fans wandering old sets but they got interviews with everyone from the director to main actors and all the staff with tons of new info I didn't know. It's so cool hearing about themes and production stories from Verhoeven, along with absurd trivia like how they called the junior executive back for reshoots just to spend an entire day having squibs go off on his body, or how the SWAT commander was supposed to be two roles but an actor in one of the roles came to Dallas two days early and impressed them enough they gave him both parts. The whole doc is on prime.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
In honor of Alien Day, 4/26 (Get it?!?), Im gonna go watch my favorite movie at the theaters.

I admire its purity.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

We’ve got an absolutely unflappable ( :dadjoke: ) killdeer that laid a nest right by our office! 🥺

Turtle pics are a few months away! Nesting season hasn’t started yet. Our turtle patrols start next week, first nest expected mid-May, first hatches expected somewhere around the 4th of July.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Spending the week in Edinburgh for work, which is probably my favorite city to be in since my wife first brought me here. Seriously, I loving love it here.

It's very :unsmith: for me this time since the last time I was here, I was on the verge of changing careers, and was scared but confident it was what I needed to do. I'm happy poo poo worked out the way it did.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

Spending the week in Edinburgh for work, which is probably my favorite city to be in since my wife first brought me here. Seriously, I loving love it here.

It's very :unsmith: for me this time since the last time I was here, I was on the verge of changing careers, and was scared but confident it was what I needed to do. I'm happy poo poo worked out the way it did.

Oh nice I really liked visiting there a few years back, their museums are fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Fuuuuuuuuuck I miss Edinburgh