Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
There's a few reasons I can think of:
- just mix things up a little, like the contemporary Prime made beams into keys + weakness hitters instead of escalating stages of damage
- avoid the "ice beam is cool and all but now I need to shoot weak enemies twice" issue
- have another and later, yet another stage of missile damage, so you get alternating beam and missile upgrades instead of normal Missiles at some point being disgustingly obsolete compared to a charged Plasma shot. This makes missile spam able to keep up with [charge] beam damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

My biggest gripe about the way the missile upgrades are handled in Fusion (and in Dread, this seems to have set a precedent) is that there's no longer a choice of what you use. Super missiles replace all your normal missiles, then ice missiles replace those; you no longer have different ammo capacities for regular versus super missiles.

In a way, that's good, because it let them streamline the controls (no more pressing select to cycle between missile types, you just hold the missile button), but on the other hand it took away a strategic decision you could otherwise be making (do I use the powerful but limited super missiles, or do I spam the weaker missiles I have plenty of?), and the missile types felt different to use. This doesn't seem like a big deal (and, okay, it's not always that interesting a choice), but I definitely find the lack of it feels stifling by comparison.

(It also means there's one fewer type of pickup to be finding, which makes item-hunting feel more monotonous.)

It might've required some changes elsewhere in a way that wouldn't be worth it, but I wonder if Fusion would have been better off with the regular missiles upgrading to ice missiles, while super missiles were something else? Then you'd have the choice between freeze utility and high damage as separate things?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
It's a bit of a ruse coming from Super and Prime. I would just consistently forget that I had a freeze on my missiles.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I do quite like the system in Fusion in part because it was the first Metroid I played but I do wonder what fun could have been had with an alternative style. As in make super missiles separate from regular missiles and have it so that only regular missiles get the ice effect but both get the final missile upgrade.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It might also be because you can't disable your beams in Fusion like you can in Super, so ice is on missiles so you have a weapon that doesn't default freeze the enemy.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Simply Simon posted:

There's a few reasons I can think of:
- just mix things up a little, like the contemporary Prime made beams into keys + weakness hitters instead of escalating stages of damage
- avoid the "ice beam is cool and all but now I need to shoot weak enemies twice" issue
- have another and later, yet another stage of missile damage, so you get alternating beam and missile upgrades instead of normal Missiles at some point being disgustingly obsolete compared to a charged Plasma shot. This makes missile spam able to keep up with [charge] beam damage

Missiles deal 10 damage in Fusion, and Supers upgrade that to 30 damage. Ice Missiles change that to 40 damage, likely to make up for the fact that it's a partial downgrade since on freezable enemies, the first hit deals no damage.

Explopyro posted:

My biggest gripe about the way the missile upgrades are handled in Fusion (and in Dread, this seems to have set a precedent) is that there's no longer a choice of what you use. Super missiles replace all your normal missiles, then ice missiles replace those; you no longer have different ammo capacities for regular versus super missiles.

In a way, that's good, because it let them streamline the controls (no more pressing select to cycle between missile types, you just hold the missile button), but on the other hand it took away a strategic decision you could otherwise be making (do I use the powerful but limited super missiles, or do I spam the weaker missiles I have plenty of?), and the missile types felt different to use. This doesn't seem like a big deal (and, okay, it's not always that interesting a choice), but I definitely find the lack of it feels stifling by comparison.

(It also means there's one fewer type of pickup to be finding, which makes item-hunting feel more monotonous.)

It might've required some changes elsewhere in a way that wouldn't be worth it, but I wonder if Fusion would have been better off with the regular missiles upgrading to ice missiles, while super missiles were something else? Then you'd have the choice between freeze utility and high damage as separate things?

Maybe in a different Metroid game, but certainly not this one. Because of how much more linear the game is, the enemies and bosses scale with Samus's capabilities in terms of design. Your missiles quickly get obsoleted by the Charge Beam when you get it, where before it was just for Arachnus-X, Zazabi-X, and puzzle solving. Supers are what make missiles combat viable again, and several things would take ages to kill if you only had normal missiles. Not to mention your beam in Fusion is just super strong! Normal missiles would just be a false choice in that case. Being able to choose between freezing and supers might be nice though.

The beams in Fusion also don't stack. If you give yourself a lategame beam through cheating, you get all the beam effects and all the damage upgrades up to that point. Your beam starts off dealing a piddly 2 damage. Getting Charge Beam upgrades that to 4, and gives you a 20 damage charged variant. Wide Beam lowers that down to 3 damage and 15 damage charged, but you have 3 hitboxes which can stack so 9/45 damage. Plasma nerfs the charge damage down from 15/45 to 9/27, but in return the beam deals damage on every single frame an enemy touches it and Plasma Beam only goes away on hitting walls, which is a ridiculous DPS increase.

And that's not getting into the fact that a point blank charged shot deals additional damage to kill things even faster because of the flare hitbox at Samus's arm cannon. The Charge Beam is just ridiculous in Fusion and got super nerfed in Zero Mission.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 3, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Explopyro posted:

You'd be running out of buttons on the GBA. As-is it uses all of them, unless you moved back to a 'select to switch' method, which would have been a pain on the GBA even moreso than the SNES.

E: re: why ice missiles: ice missiles don't freeze bosses, so you're free to use them when you need damage, and your beam ttk isn't slowed down when dealing with normal enemies.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 4, 2021

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
One detail that I really like in Fusion is that most every boss that gives you a suit upgrade has something about that upgrade incorporated into how they fight you. Yakuza does little Space Jump flips, Serris has the same glow as the Speed Booster, and so on. Really drives home the idea that these are the X parasites that mutated from your individual suit components. Though I never figured out why the Varia Suit X parasite looks the way it does...

E: also yeha Vine ruled even if I only "got into Vine" after it shut down. There was a good six-month period in 2017 where the only things that I watched on YouTube were Vine compilations and PUBG matches. Simpler times!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 5, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Its got an extra thick shell and a protective barrier around it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Its got an extra thick shell and a protective barrier around it.

yeah, this i thought. p sure all the upgrade bosses reflect the power in some small way? (PYF little thing in games content, basically)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Sally posted:

yeah, this i thought. p sure all the upgrade bosses reflect the power in some small way? (PYF little thing in games content, basically)

So does that mean with Ridley, you're screwed? :v:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Found this and it suddenly seemed very relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rr2yDI3bt8

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

My week-long trip out of town turned into two weeks but I'm back now so the LP can resume.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Love the mechanical effect of Nightmare making your missiles too heavy to fly, I had forgotten about that.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Who would win in a fight, Mr. X from Resident Evil 2 or the SA-X?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

C-Euro posted:

Love the mechanical effect of Nightmare making your missiles too heavy to fly, I had forgotten about that.

a funny detail, too, is that you can still hit with the missiles if you fire them at just the right time to slam them into the generator when they briefly plop out of your cannon. they don't get fully disabled, it's just their flight path that gets cut off. not that this has any real use, and that phase only lasts a super brief time, but hey!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Welp, next episode's going to be fun.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I'd think it was pretty obvious where the security robot got its missile launcher from; it evolved it. It's a hostile, survival of the fittest environment, and having a missile launcher is clearly an evolutionary advantage :pseudo:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Johnny Joestar posted:

a funny detail, too, is that you can still hit with the missiles if you fire them at just the right time to slam them into the generator when they briefly plop out of your cannon. they don't get fully disabled, it's just their flight path that gets cut off. not that this has any real use, and that phase only lasts a super brief time, but hey!

I maintain that the optimal strategy is hitting nightmare in his dumb gravity gun with your missiles.

You stop my propellant? Fine. I will just throw them at your dumb face.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I forgot I still had two videos of this LP to upload. Oops! I'll post the last episode within the next day or two and then we'll be finished with the game.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The annoyance of the bad Speed Booster challenges that these games love to throw at you far outweighs any usefulness of the Speed Booster as an exploration tool.

There I said it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

And that's Fusion! I love this game despite the linearity, because its linearity allows it to tell an interesting story with twists, turns, and actual suspense. It's a super cool game, and I love that Dread carries on this style but manages to give the player more freedom than they would think on their first playthrough. It's a good time to be a Metroid fan once more.

Thanks for watching the LP! Hopefully I can do Dread at some point, but I'll need to invest in a new capture card before that happens. And I know that long-time viewers of my LPs are probably wondering if I'll ever get around to Prime 3 like I promised long ago, but that's also gotta wait for a new card to even be a possibility. Believe me, I've tried recording the game on Dolphin before, and my PC isn't strong enough to handle playing, recording, and doing live commentary all at once. Eventually it will probably happen.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Fusion is a game that really makes me wish I was better at Metroid. It seems like so much fun watching you play through but I was absolutely tearing my hair out through the power loss sequence and I feel like all the times I died undercut the impact the story had a little.

Thanks for the LP and I really do look forward to Prime 3 should it ever happen. Also another Dread LP!

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Yeah, Fusion may be really linear but it uses that linearity well to be different from the other Metroid games, and also ends up being one of the harder ones just thanks to its much more refined boss design and action. Dread pretty much directly builds off it in a way that makes it super obvious how the pitch for a Fusion remake must have looked, and showed how much Mercury Steam just really understood what Fusion was going for.

Thanks for the LP. It is always really nice when Fusion gets LP'ed because it just usually leads to a lot of people realizing how much better the game was than they remember.

Black Mage Knight fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 8, 2021

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Thanks for he LP! I actually wound up replaying Fusion along with y'all and have just caught up again. In fact, I had this draft saved in the SA app from like one or two updates in and I can't remember what the context was, but I clearly had some plan for it, so here's a Metroid Fusion shitpost I was sitting on for some reason to celebrate the end!

quote:

Samus: "You know they say all beings are created equal, but you look at me and you look at a space pirate and you can see that statement is NOT TRUE! See, normally if you go one-on-one with a bounty hunter you got a fifty/fifty chance of winning. But I'm part-genetic Chozo, and I'm not normal! So you got a 25 percent at best at beat me! And then you add metroid DNA to the mix? You--the chances of winning drastically go down. See, the mess at the BSL research station, you got a 33 and a third chance of winning. But I! I got a 66 and two thirds chance of winning, cuz the space pirates KNOOOW they can't beat me, and they're not even gonna try. So, with my metroid DNA, you take your thirty three and a third chance minus my twenty five percent chance (if we was to go one on one) and you got an eight and a third chance of winning in the BSL. But then you take my 75 perchance-chance of winnin' (if we was to go one on one), and then add 66 and two thirds…percents, I got a 141 2/3 chance of winning in the BSL! SA-X? The numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you in the BSL!"

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Sally posted:

Samus: "You know they say all beings are created equal, but you look at me and you look at a space pirate and you can see that statement is NOT TRUE! See, normally if you go one-on-one with a bounty hunter you got a fifty/fifty chance of winning. But I'm part-genetic Chozo, and I'm not normal! So you got a 25 percent at best at beat me! And then you add metroid DNA to the mix? You--the chances of winning drastically go down. See, the mess at the BSL research station, you got a 33 and a third chance of winning. But I! I got a 66 and two thirds chance of winning, cuz the space pirates KNOOOW they can't beat me, and they're not even gonna try. So, with my metroid DNA, you take your thirty three and a third chance minus my twenty five percent chance (if we was to go one on one) and you got an eight and a third chance of winning in the BSL. But then you take my 75 perchance-chance of winnin' (if we was to go one on one), and then add 66 and two thirds…percents, I got a 141 2/3 chance of winning in the BSL! SA-X? The numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you in the BSL!"

:allears:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

thanks for the lp, it was nice to get the chance to see the game in action again for the first time in a while since it was a game i enjoyed the hell out of when it was new. i'm glad we finally got an actual followup to it and a continuation of the series as whole, because the plot hooks it introduced were too good to just leave hanging for forever. also not going for 100% collectibles was one of the best parts of the lp because most of them are kind of annoying if only due to how much random backtracking you have to do for like. a power bomb pickup. or whatever.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
A nice tight LP of a nice tight game

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Fusion LPs are great. Thank you!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have fond memories playing this as a kid and it was fun to see you blast through the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Fun theory that came up during the last LP of this game: the SA-X turns into a giant frog in that fight because the original X parasite that infected Samus was mimicking a frog at the time :eng101:

Also I bought my Fusion cart used and didn't have a manual, and thus spent my entire first playthrough of this game not knowing you could aim diagonal. Let me tell you, that Omega Metroid fight sucks if you don't know how to do that!