Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Raven Beak talks the talk but holy hell does he walk the walk. His fight is the best one in the game IMO.

Also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm fresh off a Hard Mode clear myself, and notably; it's really extremely similar to Normal Mode. It's like, nothing meaningfully changes except you can take half as many hits, but the boss design is always pushing you to the point where it's never that much harder to perfectly clear them than it is to clear them at all. So yeah if you eat a Big Laser you'll lose three or four entire tanks, but you're not any more likely to eat that laser than you are in Normal.

I never knew you could counter his lunge. But I did know that a power bomb will instantly destroy his fireball bullshit and give you a bunch of ammo, probably including a power bomb.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I'll be doing a full report and signoff a little later this weekend.

Of note is per what we said in the video, we won't be going full completionist. There's nothing to be obtained from doing so apart from logs. I'm certainly interested in reading them, but I also don't really care for running around for hours trying to find powerups that have no real purpose other than as collectables.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Natural 20 posted:

I'll be doing a full report and signoff a little later this weekend.

Of note is per what we said in the video, we won't be going full completionist. There's nothing to be obtained from doing so apart from logs. I'm certainly interested in reading them, but I also don't really care for running around for hours trying to find powerups that have no real purpose other than as collectables.

Not Logs but Chozo Archives which are images that give some background information.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

God, this boss. It took me a lot longer to figure out than you did, I needed to take a break and keep trying over multiple play sessions. (And also never quite worked out how to dodge the sun attack, I saw people discussing the power bomb trick and had to rely on that; I'm seriously impressed at how you solved that.)

The thing that's really interesting about this boss, to me, is how utterly daunting it feels at first, and yet it's so learnable that once you get good at each phase you can pretty much effortlessly catch back up to where you died last time. And with a little practice, it barely feels like a challenge even on hard mode. I'm very impressed by the design.

(Although, on the other hand, something about Raven Beak, satisfying as he is to fight, just doesn't feel like a Metroid boss. I'm not sure if it's as simple as him being on the same scale as Samus rather than some giant room-filling behemoth, or the focus on melee combat and countering, or something else, but it doesn't quite feel Metroidy to me.)

On the subject of ending rewards - all you get are image unlocks in the gallery, there's no further narrative content. There are 9 "Chozo Archive" images, the first 8 correspond to 100% items in each sub-area and then the final one for 100% overall. Then there are 6 ending images for finishing the game on Normal and Hard respectively within certain time limits (any clear, under 8 hours, and under 4 hours), and a final bonus one for getting the other 6 on one file. It's not hard to find these images on google if you want to see them, it doesn't really add anything to see them ingame.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Raven Beak posted:

What if Metroid, but too much

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 4, 2021

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Explopyro posted:

(Although, on the other hand, something about Raven Beak, satisfying as he is to fight, just doesn't feel like a Metroid boss. I'm not sure if it's as simple as him being on the same scale as Samus rather than some giant room-filling behemoth, or the focus on melee combat and countering, or something else, but it doesn't quite feel Metroidy to me.)

That's because he's a Megaman X boss. While obviously not Metroid, absolutely fits this game given Samus' vastly improved mobility.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Once I figured out what the sun attack was, I realised it was similar enough to a bunch of other attacks I've seen that I knew how to deal with it. Get as much distance as you can whilst being airborne and just bounce around.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 4, 2021

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Natural 20 posted:

Once I figured out what the sun attack was, I realised it was similar enough to a bunch of other attacks I've seen that I knew how to deal with it. Get as much distance as you can whilst being airborne and just bounce around.

I'm impressed, I don't think I've seen anyone beat that phase that way, but most people probably either discovered or looked it up and found out power bombs not only blew up the sun it dropped a bunch of powerups.

And since I know it was a topic of discussion earlier, we now have proof that yeah, Raven Beak's giant gun can indeed vaporize X, which is probably how he was able to stop their rampage.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bremen posted:

And since I know it was a topic of discussion earlier, we now have proof that yeah, Raven Beak's giant gun can indeed vaporize X, which is probably how he was able to stop their rampage.

It turns out that Samus's chozo powersuit was the baby version for Thoha nerds, and the Mawkin tribe kept the real good stuff for themselves.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Or it's just that she's half the size and that means her suit can only pack one eighth the firepower.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

And the twists keep coming. The final boss was really nice because it's so close to samus's abilities, only turned up to 11 (the SA-X was similar but it wasn't the final boss exactly). Also It's really cool that raven beak uses the Aeion powers from both this game and Samus Returns (oh and when his Lightning Armor is gold, he's completely invincible, though shooting him in that phase aggros him into doing counterable stuff more).

Being able to hurt things pretty good without charging is just a wave beam thing. And yeah it out-DPSes missiles if your shooty finger is fast.

He has a lot of moves where flash shift is great for getting around, but space jump does work for a lot of them too. And you do pretty much need to space jump for the beam burst phase and the sun unless you nuke it, and you need to remember to slide under some stuff, so it's easy to lose track of your verbs.

Apparently space bird wizard powers let you control being an X... and yeah, she was able to absorb the Thoha "Control metroids" power from QR-X. But the Metroid DNA should still be there...

The Golux fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 4, 2021

rbakervv
Apr 1, 2008

For the Emperor!!

The Golux posted:

Apparently space bird wizard powers let you control being an X... and yeah, she was able to absorb the Thoha "Control metroids" power from QR-X. But the Metroid DNA should still be there...

I'm hoping that the sequel, (please let there be a sequel,) has "Metroid Armor" as some kind of time-limited super mode, like hyper-mode from Prime 3. Though it should also have lots and lots of life-steal finishers.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

You could see Nat learning how to properly space jump in real time :allears:

The metroid drain at the end of the boss fight was a desperation move, but I think it's telling that she vaporized X-Raven instead of eating it when she had the choice.

I noticed that during the escape sequence Samus was eating enemies on contact. Little bit of integration with what was happening.

Bruceski posted:

The last Metroid is out of captivity. The galaxy is at peace.

The last Metroid is out of captivity. The galaxy better be at peace. Or else the Queen is going to come to have words.

The Lone Badger posted:

It turns out that Samus's chozo powersuit was the baby version for Thoha nerds, and the Mawkin tribe kept the real good stuff for themselves.

I think his suit was powered by the whole facility to fire that cannon, while Samus' metroid(?) suit was draining all the energy in a three kilometer radius to do the same.
E: when she was draining Raven Break the ship they were on was getting directly drained too, I think it's fair to speculate dude was directly hooked up to enough power generators for a decent sized town.

I mean, how much maintenance must his Custom Mobile SuitTM require, considering how bad a number Samus did on it during the boss fight? Her suit keeps 100% integrity until total failure and can recover from anything simply given energy.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Dec 4, 2021

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Raven Beak used that beam at the bottom of Artaria as well. But yeah he was probably hooked up TO THE ENTIRE PLANET. Also probably his suit is NOT partially organic, and thus why the X did nothing to him while he cooked them and canned them. probably shoved Quiet Robe into a locker to keep him alive or something since he still needed him at that time.

Also one last thing to point out, Samus claws him in the crack she made back in his suit in the opening cutscene. IF Raven Beak had fixed that crack in his armor, he would have won because his suit's exterior is metroid and X proof.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Dec 4, 2021

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

Also one last thing to point out, Samus claws him in the crack she made back in his suit in the opening cutscene. IF Raven Beak had fixed that crack in his armor, he would have won because his suit's exterior is metroid and X proof.

"This Scar in my armor looks badass. After all this is done I'm gonna pick up so many chicks at the Chozo bar... wait we're all dead... Fine, The Torizo bar 3 planets over" -Raven Beak, almost certainly.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How did Raven Beak turn himself into a load-bearing boss? And how many planets has Samus blown up now?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How did Raven Beak turn himself into a load-bearing boss? And how many planets has Samus blown up now?

Zebes, SR388, ZDR, and Phaaze.

Honorable mentions go to Dark Aether (planetary dimension) and the BSL Station.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I mean in this case, Samus did crash Raven Beaks Chozo Space Fortress into the planet, I am fairly certain that there were probably hilariously powerful explosives on that ship by default

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
My understanding was that Raven Beak was planning to hit the planet's self-destruct button as soon as Samus was on board the Itorash, since he wouldn't want the X leaving the planet either.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SL the Pyro posted:

My understanding was that Raven Beak was planning to hit the planet's self-destruct button as soon as Samus was on board the Itorash, since he wouldn't want the X leaving the planet either.

I presume he would have had robots load up the contained bio weapons in had in the capsules first.

AtomikKrab posted:

Raven Beak used that beam at the bottom of Artaria as well. But yeah he was probably hooked up TO THE ENTIRE PLANET. Also probably his suit is NOT partially organic, and thus why the X did nothing to him while he cooked them and canned them. probably shoved Quiet Robe into a locker to keep him alive or something since he still needed him at that time.

It probably is partially organic, but none of the organic parts are exposed like with Samus's suit. (If he is aware of the X it seems a good thing to do.)

For something that I noticed. Right before the Elite Chozo is fought, there are some Chozo ships outside the area. When Samus goes through that area on the way back to her ship, the two Chozo ships are gone.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

MonsterEnvy posted:

For something that I noticed. Right before the Elite Chozo is fought, there are some Chozo ships outside the area. When Samus goes through that area on the way back to her ship, the two Chozo ships are gone.

Uh oh.

We've established that all of Raven Beak's soldiers have been overtaken by the X.

So if those ships managed to leave the planet before all this went down, then—

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I am amazed that people keep trying to pull this poo poo with Samus. Ooh yeah I'll piss off the walking extinction event I'm sure it'll go better for me than it did for the last six guys!

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Quackles posted:

Uh oh.

We've established that all of Raven Beak's soldiers have been overtaken by the X.

So if those ships managed to leave the planet before all this went down, then—

Oh shi--

Even if Raven Beak wasn't already on the Itorash, he'd only count for one ship. Samus had her own ship to escape the planet with. Quiet Robe-X hitched a ride with Samus and immediately got absorbed.

It's entirely possible two random planets are about to get X'd.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SL the Pyro posted:

Oh shi--

Even if Raven Beak wasn't already on the Itorash, he'd only count for one ship. Samus had her own ship to escape the planet with. Quiet Robe-X hitched a ride with Samus and immediately got absorbed.

It's entirely possible two random planets are about to get X'd.

And then Samus will blow them up.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Thinking about it more now, do we know if Raven Beak was definitely only beaten by his cool battle damage? Samus drained a robot and at the end Adam was afraid that just touching a control panel would kill her ship.

Maybe when Samus was only trying to reenact G Gundam it would have worked, but when she went full Berserker Mode? Probably not. Worst case she probably would have clawed at the red LEDs for his eyes rather than through a crack in the armor.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

FeyerbrandX posted:

Thinking about it more now, do we know if Raven Beak was definitely only beaten by his cool battle damage? Samus drained a robot and at the end Adam was afraid that just touching a control panel would kill her ship.

Maybe when Samus was only trying to reenact G Gundam it would have worked, but when she went full Berserker Mode? Probably not. Worst case she probably would have clawed at the red LEDs for his eyes rather than through a crack in the armor.

Raven Beak had definitely shielded his suit against energy drain, and he was holding her even in metroid form without any ill effects until that claw ripped his helmet off. You can see it with the EMMI, she doesn't drain its energy until it exposes the spike, the EMMI's outer plating is probably resistant to energy drain.

The control panel is obviously not shielded because it reacts to Samus's touch and transmits both ways, easy energy drain.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
At the end of the Raven Beak bossfight, there is a cutscene where he grabs Samus by the neck and holds her in the air. She tries to grab his head, but can't reach, because his arm is too long. Later on in the cutscene (after all of the screaming) she tries to grab his head again and succeeds? Why is she suddenly able to reach his head?

Raven Beak is waiting in a space ship far above the surface of ZDR, presumably to stay away from the X. (And I guess so that he can decide when you reach him). There is a pod on the surface that can be used to reach the ship, which is how Samus gets to the ship. It is being guarded by an infested gold chozo warrior. Since this chozo warrior should maintain all of his knowledge from when he was alive, he should know about pods. Why doesn't he try to use it himself? Either to get to Raven Beak to try to infest him or to escape offworld?

I assume that Raven Beak had made preparations to destroy ZDR either as part of his plans or as a contingency against the X. It's possible his death triggered a fail-safe that destroyed the planet (he is kind of egotistical) or he deliberately triggered the destruction of the planet as he lay dying as an act of mercy.

The X being destoryable by high-powered beam weaponry makes Samus a bit less special, assuming that the last of the X didn't die on ZDR.

During my playthrough, I thought the reveal was going to be that Raven Beak wasn't actually hostile and that Adam and Quiet Cloth were lying. My thought was that during the first cutscene, Samus is actually the instigator of the violence between her and Raven Beak, since she pointed her gun at him before he did anything worthy of such a hostile reaction, so him defending himself is understandable, and he let her live because he wasn't hostile to her. And Adam seemed to know too much ("There should be an upgrade in this area").

AtomikKrab posted:

She actually just punches him so hard his whole helmet shatters. I don't think the crack in his helmet mattered.

Did anyone point out that Kraid didn't actually die at the end of his boss fight. He fell into the lava when the supports holding him up broke, but lava doesn't harm Kraid. The core-X of that Experiment also fell into the lava after its fight. We don't necessarily know that lava would kill a core-X. Could that be the source of the Kraid-X at the end of the game?

Nebrilos fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 9, 2021

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Nebrilos posted:

Could that be the source of the Kraid-X at the end of the game?

It's commonly theorized that the Kraid-X came from an X that found and assimilated Kraid's DNA from the stomach spike that was stuck in the wall at the end of the battle.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Nebrilos posted:

At the end of the Raven Beak bossfight, there is a cutscene where he grabs Samus by the neck and holds her in the air. She tries to grab his head, but can't reach, because his arm is too long. Later on in the cutscene (after all of the screaming) she tries to grab his head again and succeeds? Why is she suddenly able to reach his head?

A. Because her Metroid DNA is kicking her strength into overdrive.
B. Raven Beak loosed his grip even a little bit thinking she was out.
C. Rather than reaching limply, she did an entire swing of her body to give herself momentum to claw into him.

You can see in their scuffle that Raven Beak still has a grip on her even as he's being drained, but Samus at this point is full on pissed off and getting stronger with each passing second feeding off not only him but his entire drat ship.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Metroids can stretch anyway, she long range clawed his face

I am still in the camp that regardless of blowing off his helmet with the punch, it would not have worked without that super missile damage from the initial scrap.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Samus really really really wanted to claw Raven Beak's head off and at this point her genetic code is more of an unidentifiable gumbo. It wouldn't surprise me at all if she spontaneously evolved longer arms to claw him with.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Samus is a... uh

Samus is.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Samus is a Samus. It's probably the only applicable descriptor by now.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

It's commonly theorized that the Kraid-X came from an X that found and assimilated Kraid's DNA from the stomach spike that was stuck in the wall at the end of the battle.

iirc there's a bit of Experiment No. Z-57 in there so most likely it's the X core that fell into the lava from the Experiment No. Z-57 fight, managed to survive, found Kraid's skeleton or whatever(I think they're in the same section of the map?) and then found its way to the surface where it then found Raven Beak, and made a horrible fusion of all three.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I would like to mention this new video.

GMTK is a channel that does detailed game design analysis. What makes a game's design work? Is it understandable to people who are new to video games? Is it accessible to people with disabilities.

He found out by asking around on Twitter, that people seem to agree that Dread is the worst accessible game of 2021 in terms of controls. So many of the button combinations are so specific and precise that they're nearly impossible if you're struggling with hand coordination or whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IhQl1CBj9U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

They're not wrong, it is pretty uncompromising controls-wise. It would have been nice if they included alternate control mapping or assist-mode stuff like automatically swapping to grapple or missiles when relevant?