Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RC Cola posted:

Are tier 4 upgrades worth it?

Like all gen heroes, usually not due to having only 1 or 2 good sides. Reliable makes them a lot better, and you shpuld always check generated spells/abilities in case they are OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Eh, I find tier 4 heroes have a much higher chance of having like, 3 or 4 usable sides.

The chance of them being complete dogshit is still high enough that I'd never take a random t4 hero, but if I get to pick one it's usually fine.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Got loving robbed on this final boss fight lol

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'm unabashedly a fan of Raid just for how Smash Bros-y it feels. Also it's the only mode I've beaten Unfair on.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The bevy of different modes is one of the best things about the game, so I like to jump around a lot. But my most-played is definitely Normal Basic, it's just the right balance of complex enough to be engaging and easy enough that I can play only sorta paying attention while I unwind.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

God, new Wanderer has to just be one of the most busted heroes without any item support.

Why yes, I would love to do 16 damage to the Dragon completely free. Sure he's probably dying after that but he just did 40% of the job for you

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Wanderer, Warlock, Prophet, and Fate are my go-to run savers when I don't get any good item payoffs. Their base kits are all so powerful that they can drag some truly awful teams over the finish line.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I'm new to the game, so my evaluations are probably out of whack, but Pilgrim seems like one of the best T2 heroes, to the point that I'm kind of annoyed he's T2 because I never want to upgrade from him. He's great even without support, but even better if you have a red with vitality sides (or a busted hero to use the reuse dice side on).

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

He's good, but very swingy. Like, with Scrapper he's worthless, but Berserker loves him. He's good with most Force parties but doesn't offer much for Magical teams. I think my only real issue with him is that he has zero damage. I don't expect a lot of damage out of greys, but it's still nice if they can chip in a pip or two in a pinch.

Cleric is probably my favorite grey. Love those mana torches and her spell rules.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
A pinch of cleanse is always good but I am always going to slam pick Armorer. So many times you can parlay the smith side into a really high value pip like mana gain or poison, to say nothing of the high-roll if you get multiple actions.

Playing more Cursed-Ultra it really feels like Force is the most consistent. It seems the starting parties are locked to Basic, Force, and Mountain (two blues, two greys, and on green) and in Cultra the diversified field in Basic just means it's much more likely a curse will turn your Blue into a dead hero. Mountain is high-rolly since a housecat almost guarantees at least one loop, but the true reward would be hitting Vessel which I have yet to accomplish.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

He's good, but very swingy. Like, with Scrapper he's worthless, but Berserker loves him. He's good with most Force parties but doesn't offer much for Magical teams. I think my only real issue with him is that he has zero damage. I don't expect a lot of damage out of greys, but it's still nice if they can chip in a pip or two in a pinch.

Cleric is probably my favorite grey. Love those mana torches and her spell rules.

That's funny, because one of my favorite things about him is his consistency, because the stun sides are almost always useful, and the undying side provides value against the final bosses. I feel like I almost never have dead turns with him.

Edit: I will say I have topped out at Hard so far, so maybe the stun sides are less consistent when you're in Unfair and have extra HP/shield curses, but I'm assuming that would still only be for specific hallway fights with only 2-3 high hp enemies, since I've found I've had to have a pretty bad first turn to not get anyone into stun range.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 6, 2024

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RoboCicero posted:

A pinch of cleanse is always good but I am always going to slam pick Armorer. So many times you can parlay the smith side into a really high value pip like mana gain or poison, to say nothing of the high-roll if you get multiple actions.

Playing more Cursed-Ultra it really feels like Force is the most consistent. It seems the starting parties are locked to Basic, Force, and Mountain (two blues, two greys, and on green) and in Cultra the diversified field in Basic just means it's much more likely a curse will turn your Blue into a dead hero. Mountain is high-rolly since a housecat almost guarantees at least one loop, but the true reward would be hitting Vessel which I have yet to accomplish.

The permacurses and blessing greens got patchws out of cursed mode because they were too much

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'm kinda sad no default starting parties start with two oranges.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Quackles posted:

I'm kinda sad no default starting parties start with two oranges.

Strays is Grey/Orange/Orange/Random/Random.

It's one of the rarer offerings, though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

:getin:

edit: Reinforcement was the world's most surprised Goblin by the way. Who, oddly, did not run away and took his full turn! Bug?

goferchan fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 6, 2024

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

strays is my favorite party and it's not even close

(of the premade ones, not counting choose-party mode)

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

goferchan posted:

:getin:

edit: Reinforcement was the world's most surprised Goblin by the way. Who, oddly, did not run away and took his full turn! Bug?

I think Reinforcements are treated as completely out of game, so the Goblin never sees his own flag nor the massive HP delta

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Objectively a terrible idea...unless...

The duplicate sides also continue to duplicate the shifter-added keyword so it becomes keyword soup extremely fast. I swear I have seen keywords pop in and out depending on the order you use the duplicate sides, but I haven't been able to duplicate it.

RoboCicero fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 7, 2024

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Are the keywords guaranteed to be positive? If not seems like a deathtrap.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

distortion park posted:

Nah it can give "wrong type" keywords (i.e. boosting your enemies) or just good old Pain and Death

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Gizmo is the best item in the game and I will hear naught against it, as it rolls poison on my healing/defensive sides and boost/heal on my damage sides.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Got the option of item that added a random keyword to all sides at tier 8. Went for the mystery box, the answer was “hypnotize.” Sets the target’s damage sided to zero. Stuck it on Dancer and figured I’d autopilot to a free win. Final boss was the Hand, who rolled killed top hero turn one. Dancer missed her evade side, no rez or resist death heroes. Still won because Wanderer is good. In conclusion, Slice and Dice is a land on contrasts.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

distortion park posted:

They're not but you can aggressively fish for good keywords. There'll be the fair amount of like, selfpoison, selfpetrify, groupexhaust sides, but if you get a good inflictdeath then it's gravy. Being able to undo everything back up to the right moment in the chain also makes it a fair gamble.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Sorcerer with Twisted Bar and Nunchucks, Weaver with Pocket Mirror and Catnip. I never knew there was a mana limit, but at least I got an achievement.

(I also had like 50 rerolls at one point, and I kinda wish I'd kept going to see if those were capped too.)

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

5-Headed Snake God posted:

Sorcerer with Twisted Bar and Nunchucks, Weaver with Pocket Mirror and Catnip. I never knew there was a mana limit, but at least I got an achievement.

(I also had like 50 rerolls at one point, and I kinda wish I'd kept going to see if those were capped too.)

There is a reroll limit at 999 and it is also an achievement

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RoboCicero posted:

They're not but you can aggressively fish for good keywords. There'll be the fair amount of like, selfpoison, selfpetrify, groupexhaust sides, but if you get a good inflictdeath then it's gravy. Being able to undo everything back up to the right moment in the chain also makes it a fair gamble.

until you hit cantrip+groupdeath

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Tunicate posted:

until you hit cantrip+groupdeath

sometimes you slice, and sometimes you dice

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Hate to blow all 10 points on one blessing, but drat, that's +5 rerolls!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Why does that not mean you just can't reroll anything ever?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Soul Dentist posted:

Why does that not mean you just can't reroll anything ever?

It definitely does, which makes this basically a curse. Hoping that's :thejoke: and there was heavy sarcasm from goferchan but I honestly can't tell. If you got rid of the keyword somehow it would be worth it but good luck with that.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah lol it means no rerolls. Probably the worst 10-point blessing I've ever seen. (Tann, where's my green hero with a tactic that lets you spend rerolls?)

edit: Or an item that makes spells cost rerolls instead of mana

goferchan fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

goferchan posted:

Yeah lol it means no rerolls. Probably the worst 10-point blessing I've ever seen. (Tann, where's my green hero with a tactic that lets you spend rerolls?)

edit: Or an item that makes spells cost rerolls instead of mana

Allitem Lich Eye is the worst I’ve seen. Mana gain and Death to every side.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 9, 2024