Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I liked how the last turn started with your bombers in place and your meter practically full.

The whole turn was basically you just clowning around and maybe securing your power score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

FoolyCharged posted:

I liked how the last turn started with your bombers in place and your meter practically full.

The whole turn was basically you just clowning around and maybe securing your power score.

Yeah, a lot of that mission was just bullying Adder since I don't like him!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Collab with AdvanceWarrior: Recon Princess

A week or so ago, AdvanceWarrior suggested we record a joint commentary doing a video for his channel. We haven't done that before, but it was fairly interesting. I think this is the first occasion where I've commented on a game I wasn't playing in.

I also made this thumbnail image for it:

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Hard 30: Drake's Dilemma

This mission had a few redeeming qualities in normal mode. Not so on hard I'd say!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Hard 31: Rain of Fire

A much better mission, Jess vs a volcano (and also Hawke I guess)!

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Hard 32: Great Sea Battle

The Green Earth finale! This was a fun one to figure out. I think this is just about the fastest time possible, and I still managed to get 0 casualties and perfect power.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
The first of three recent Global League games I played. All tier 1, which is something I haven't done in a long time:

Advance Wars By Web: Recon Havoc

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Your Advance Wars By Web videos are definitely my favorite! The strategic breakdown vs. human opponents and based on map conditions are really entertaining and insightful. I hope you keep it up and would love to see how you fare against bigger name opponents or in tournaments (if that's of interest to you, of course).

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Holy crap that was a clinic on how to dismantle an opponent. And that recon was absurd.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Dirk the Average posted:

Holy crap that was a clinic on how to dismantle an opponent. And that recon was absurd.

It's the counterpart video to my The Worst Tank video. This is The Best Recon!

Broken Box posted:

Your Advance Wars By Web videos are definitely my favorite! The strategic breakdown vs. human opponents and based on map conditions are really entertaining and insightful. I hope you keep it up and would love to see how you fare against bigger name opponents or in tournaments (if that's of interest to you, of course).

Thanks! This is one of my favorite videos. Besides it being a good map and an interesting game, I thought AdvanceWarrior and I had well synchronized co-commentary on this one, and I also came up with an unusual concentration of jokes to add.

As for bigger name opponents, I'll certainly get there. I played several AWBW games recently, and my ranking has gotten high enough that I can now be matched with many of the big name fog players. (It helps that matchmaking is only based on elo for fog, and I'm a pure fog player whereas many of the top players get a good chunk of their overall elo from standard or high funds games)

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Tackling a viewer-submitted challenge to beat Hot Pursuit with the 3 worst COs: Sonja, Jess, and Sami

Hard 33: Hot Pursuit (part 1)

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Who do you think you'd use if you were using optimal COs? I'm guessing Max, Kanbei, and Eagle.

Also, I'm guessing the Mini Cannon weirdness was because the order didn't actually matter--the end result would have been the same even if the Anti-Air was shot first.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Fionordequester posted:

Who do you think you'd use if you were using optimal COs? I'm guessing Max, Kanbei, and Eagle.

Also, I'm guessing the Mini Cannon weirdness was because the order didn't actually matter--the end result would have been the same even if the Anti-Air was shot first.

Max, Kanbei, Eagle is indeed a very strong pick!

However, I think I might actually do Sami, Kanbei, Eagle if I didn't care about 0 casualties.

Sami can reach a missile silo faster than anyone else on the left side. With a missile from Sami and one from Eagle, Kanbei has a MUCH better time in the middle.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Advance Wars By Web: The Chosin One

Quite an interesting Advance Wars by Web match!

I've been wanting to play on this map for forever, and my opponent was very strong.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
The conclusion of that viewer-submitted challenge to tackle Hot Pursuit with the 3 worst available COs:

Hard 33: Hot Pursuit (part 2)

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
... Why are all the worst COs girls?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Fionordequester posted:

... Why are all the worst COs girls?

Sami isn't bad at all, but she is situational. It just so happens that this mission runs counter to her specialty. Sonja is likewise specialized for fog of war maps, and can be very powerful in the right situation (and is generally weaker in the campaign due to fixed starts and relatively predictable AI). Jess's issues are that the devs overvalued her CO Power's ability to resupply her troops, and that her weak infantry is a really bad drawback.

Also worth noting that Flak is probably the objectively worst CO, but you can't use Black Hole COs in campaign for obvious reasons.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Sonja's big issue is that the devs origally decided she needed a negative luck malus despite everything else about her being pretty vanilla and then over the course of 3 official games and a fan port of the vs mode nobody thought about removing that and making her not have functionally weaker units across the board for no reason.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

FoolyCharged posted:

Sonja's big issue is that the devs origally decided she needed a negative luck malus despite everything else about her being pretty vanilla and then over the course of 3 official games and a fan port of the vs mode nobody thought about removing that and making her not have functionally weaker units across the board for no reason.

For some reason every game changed her bad luck, making it a bit less bad, without taking it away... and without acknowledging it even exists in AW2 for some terrible reason.

If I didn't hate unneeded luck mechanics in general, I would say her bad luck is at least interesting in that it's almost unique. But her day to day and powers are so weak that she really doesn't need a detriment to balance her to begin with.

Dirk the Average posted:

Sami isn't bad at all, but she is situational. It just so happens that this mission runs counter to her specialty. Sonja is likewise specialized for fog of war maps, and can be very powerful in the right situation (and is generally weaker in the campaign due to fixed starts and relatively predictable AI). Jess's issues are that the devs overvalued her CO Power's ability to resupply her troops, and that her weak infantry is a really bad drawback.

Also worth noting that Flak is probably the objectively worst CO, but you can't use Black Hole COs in campaign for obvious reasons.

Sami is certainly very situational. In AWBW she is at the bottom of the bottom tier in fog of war most of the time. Lower than Jess and possibly even Flak when he's allowed. I've talked about the reasons why in some of my past videos. Basically, she's just horrible on most big-medium maps because her day to day advantages don't matter, but her day to day penalty affects tons of engagements. That said, there absolutely are some maps where Sami is solid, or even overpowered, so I agree with you overall.

I don't think Sonja ever rises to the level of being 'very powerful' though, unless a map is specially designed to help her in very artificial ways. At best she's mediocre in fog. In AWBW terms she's usually the worst or second worst of tier 3 in fog, which is supposed to be her specialty!

Against the AI she's also especially bad in this game because the AI just cheats to ignore everything she's supposed to be good at. You get +1 vision? That's cute, the AI is omniscient. She hides her units' HP? Nope, again, the AI is omniscient. Sonja is trash even on her own missions in this game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I think bad luck could have been played with by giving kanbei 0-5 instead of 0-10. With sonja's chance to roll for low damage it just feels bad. But with kanbei's elite that deal reliable, high damage in exchange for not getting to roll for lucky bursts, it would feel more like a deliberate design rather than just shifshafting sonja for no reason. As it is, she's got pretty close to an attack decrease on all of her units and diddly squat to back that up with.

It doesn't even make sense thematically for her. The only time she ever appears to suffer "bad luck" is when she underestimates Sturm at the end of the first game. At every other point she's a tactical genius making everyone play into her hands.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Fair enough on Sonja. I'd personally love to see her get 5 luck, always. It'd fit the calculating tactician theme to have the ability to perfectly predict every engagement while obfuscating the enemy's intel.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

FoolyCharged posted:

I think bad luck could have been played with by giving kanbei 0-5 instead of 0-10. With sonja's chance to roll for low damage it just feels bad. But with kanbei's elite that deal reliable, high damage in exchange for not getting to roll for lucky bursts, it would feel more like a deliberate design rather than just shifshafting sonja for no reason. As it is, she's got pretty close to an attack decrease on all of her units and diddly squat to back that up with.

It doesn't even make sense thematically for her. The only time she ever appears to suffer "bad luck" is when she underestimates Sturm at the end of the first game. At every other point she's a tactical genius making everyone play into her hands.

Dirk the Average posted:

Fair enough on Sonja. I'd personally love to see her get 5 luck, always. It'd fit the calculating tactician theme to have the ability to perfectly predict every engagement while obfuscating the enemy's intel.

I agree with you both, yeah! Having bad luck doesn't fit Sonja thematically or mechanically. It would have been better if she just had no luck at all, either 5% or maybe she gets 0% and her enemies also get 0% so she negates luck for both sides.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Melth posted:

maybe she gets 0% and her enemies also get 0% so she negates luck for both sides.

I really like that idea - drop the enemy's maximum luck by 10% so that she interacts properly with the luck COs. Gives her perfect information (hell, I'd support her being able to see decimal values for unit health/damage), while the hidden health of her units makes it tougher for any opposing player not named Melth to figure out how to efficiently deploy their units.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Dirk the Average posted:

I really like that idea - drop the enemy's maximum luck by 10% so that she interacts properly with the luck COs. Gives her perfect information (hell, I'd support her being able to see decimal values for unit health/damage), while the hidden health of her units makes it tougher for any opposing player not named Melth to figure out how to efficiently deploy their units.

If she's gonna get countered by Melth, I think it's only fair to let her counter someone like Nell. All luck negated!

Speaking of luck, here's a match where a combination of bad decisions and bad luck put me in a really tough spot:

Advance Wars By Web: A Tempest In a T-Pot

Probably the worst I've played in a year or two, which I think shows how much I've improved since I started!

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I feel like this was a question that was raised a while back, but are there any asymmetric maps? Have people tried to make one, is it even possible? Have you ever considered trying to make one?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Melth posted:

If she's gonna get countered by Melth, I think it's only fair to let her counter someone like Nell. All luck negated!

Speaking of luck, here's a match where a combination of bad decisions and bad luck put me in a really tough spot:

Advance Wars By Web: A Tempest In a T-Pot

Probably the worst I've played in a year or two, which I think shows how much I've improved since I started!

So your basic answer for "when do you black storm in a Hawke Mirror match" is "when it'll allow you to make some trades to pay for the cost of getting hit with Black Storm next turn"?

The T in T-Copter is for TRAITOR
(alternate answer - for THE WRONG UNIT)

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Veloxyll posted:

So your basic answer for "when do you black storm in a Hawke Mirror match" is "when it'll allow you to make some trades to pay for the cost of getting hit with Black Storm next turn"?

The T in T-Copter is for TRAITOR
(alternate answer - for THE WRONG UNIT)

Terrible Copter
Totally Worthless Copter
Trash-Copter

And yeah I think that's basically right. I would Black Storm when it allows enough heals, OHKOs or other value that won't get erased by a countering black storm that it's a net positive compared to the best non-Black Storm move I can think of.

Non-exhaustive list of things that give genuine value when using Black Storm first:
1) Full HP enemy units on cities/bases
2) Enemy units you can kill outright as a result
3) Enemy units you can now cripple to 1 HP or so that would have been too dangerous to touch before
4) Your own injured units getting healed, and then doing a good attack as a result instead of having to sit back.
5) Key wallbreaks you can unlock to hit a crucial unit like a rocket or artillery or bomber or something
6) Captures you immediately complete as a result.

Beartaco posted:

I feel like this was a question that was raised a while back, but are there any asymmetric maps? Have people tried to make one, is it even possible? Have you ever considered trying to make one?

There are some. A genre of maps that look vaguely like Europe or another region are popular for one example. Most don't really try to be balanced at all, and the ones that do try usually fail, so asymmetric maps have never been allowed in ranked play as far as I'm aware.

I did technically make one since I made a replica of Final Front, for example.

I also made a few on the actual GBA cartridge as a kid. Generally big old fog of war maps that just tried to look something like real terrain where the placement of forests and whatnot wasn't symmetrical but both sides had roughly even amounts overall. My notion was that as long as I didn't know which side had an advantage and we picked player 1 or player 2 randomly, it was effectively fair until we did find out which side had the advantage. And then I'd make a new map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
I was able to record a special challenge to wrap up the hard campaign with Final Front. But I think I'll now go back to the beginning of the hard campaign to redo some of the early levels with no casualties, and then return to Final Front as the very last thing