Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hello December N/V thread title

https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/status/1465856255524851714

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1465860205695094785?s=21

Dumb rear end league

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

I had forgotten how great these are, but the DOPS suspension video in the linked tweet is art. The deadpan delivery. The completely superfluous “THIS IS NOT A HOCKEY PLAY”. The clear video of Lemieux, looking like a snapping turtle, biting Tkachuk when they first fall down. The explanation about how they can only suspend him for one bite, despite circumstantial evidence of more bites, because only this one was clearly on video.

Tkachuk stood up, holding his bloody right hand and yelling about how Lemieux bit him on it, and that’s not even the bite that Lemieux got suspended for.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I seriously cannot recommend enough you go see the video. The delivery is loving incredible.

https://twitter.com/StephaliciousD/status/1465863645498425351

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Caps just blew a 4-1 lead to lose in regulation. Cool cool cool.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

Also I think I was reading somewhere that sh% is overall low this year compared to recent years previous, it’s possible that all these career surges (Andersen, Campbell, Hart/Jones) are either simple variance or goalies have found a new way to cheat with their equipment that isn’t banned yet

Look at this fuckin' knob:

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

DJExile posted:

I seriously cannot recommend enough you go see the video. The delivery is loving incredible.

https://twitter.com/StephaliciousD/status/1465863645498425351

Big "we're all looking for the guy who did this" vibes.

Don't they also have as part of their video reviews of goals something like "the puck is in the goalie's glove, the glove is behind the goal line, but because you can't see the puck clearly in the catcher, there is no goal"? Or some variation of that until recently?

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Chad Sexington posted:

Caps just blew a 4-1 lead to lose in regulation. Cool cool cool.

Everything about that third period was embarrassing except for Samsonov.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/dimfilipovic/status/1465875122103803910?s=21

:stare:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Forsberg has four goals through two periods

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Cartoon Man posted:

Samsonov gets the fourth straight start for the Caps and has been (mostly) solid. We might be over the hump with him, we’ll see.

Lol, had to go and jinx it, didn't ya?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

eXXon posted:

Look at this fuckin' knob:

That tape job is something else too.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Cocaine Bear posted:

To be fair, as a Panthers fan, the only reason the Panthers didn't score 7 goals in that third period was because of Samsonov. Only the game-winner was a bad goal in my opinion.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

Only thing I can think of was that the refs felt the 5on3 already gave the Caps the winning goal and a bench minor would just be rubbing salt in the wound. I disagree with that, still should’ve got a bench minor. Ejection would’ve been overkill.

Why? I mean, I know the NHL referees are terrible, but abusing the referee should be an instant ejection in any sport.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The refs are probably under instructions not to run a coach unless absolutely necessary, as it just invites media firestorms and the league office prefers to handle it with a fine and a private "knock that poo poo off dude" phone call.

Probably could've/should've assessed a bench minor but the Caps already getting a long 5-on-3 at that stage of the game made it moot so they didn't bother. Game was pretty much over.

IMO it's still dumb as hell to freak out and berate a ref like that as a coach, because the ref is human and is going to remember that poo poo and will most definitely not give you any breaks next time he sees you. If I were a coach I would insist on treating even the most mouthbreathing officials with the utmost respect and limiting my criticisms to "dude you blew that one, watch the video later" and training my players to do the same. But I know many/most coaches, presumably including Brind'Amour, believe that screaming at refs is showing support for your players and galvanizes them or something.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 1, 2021

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

The refs are probably under instructions not to run a coach unless absolutely necessary, as it just invites media firestorms and the league office prefers to handle it with a fine and a private "knock that poo poo off dude" phone call.

Probably could've/should've assessed a bench minor but the Caps already getting a long 5-on-3 at that stage of the game made it moot so they didn't bother. Game was pretty much over.

It sets a terrible example. Booting him would entirely justified. Nobody freaks out when a baseball coach gets ejected. (Apart from the coach in question, who usually makes a show of it).
It also doesn't matter that it was a 5 on 3 at the end of the game. The rules shouldn't change depending on the situation. It's one of the biggest faults of the NHL.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

I know like three of the canes were out with covid tonight, but I'm super pumped to see Hintz get his first hat trick and win the game.

Also Holtby made some incredible saves. You picked a good one to go to Shinjobi.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Bizarre piece of hockey trivia: it was Braden Holtby's 500th appearance in the NHL tonight, and apparently he has more wins in those first 500 games than any other goaltender in NHL history in their first 500 games.

I don't even know how they track this poo poo, and yeah obviously wins are a team stat first and foremost. Still.. you would think that someone would have won more than 294 of their first 500 games.

**oh and yeah, there probably aren't more than a dozen of those 500 NHL games where he played better than he did tonight. stole the 2 points for Dallas.

https://twitter.com/SaadYousuf126/status/1465896273656127490

I mean come on

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 1, 2021

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

the caps should take a flyer on this holtby guy

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

ImplicitAssembler posted:

It sets a terrible example. Booting him would entirely justified. Nobody freaks out when a baseball coach gets ejected. (Apart from the coach in question, who usually makes a show of it).
It also doesn't matter that it was a 5 on 3 at the end of the game. The rules shouldn't change depending on the situation. It's one of the biggest faults of the NHL.

Yeah that poo poo drives me crazy, also ticky tac penalties to "even it up."

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Starsfan posted:

Bizarre piece of hockey trivia: it was Braden Holtby's 500th appearance in the NHL tonight, and apparently he has more wins in those first 500 games than any other goaltender in NHL history in their first 500 games.

I don't even know how they track this poo poo, and yeah obviously wins are a team stat first and foremost. Still.. you would think that someone would have won more than 294 of their first 500 games.

**oh and yeah, there probably aren't more than a dozen of those 500 NHL games where he played better than he did tonight. stole the 2 points for Dallas.

Sure but realistically you'd only be looking at goalies that played all or mostly in the 21st century when there weren't ties anymore. I would have guessed MAF but Holtby is a pretty obvious candidate given he played for 1st place teams pretty much every year. (and didn't play his first 1.5 seasons on terrible teams before he was really ready for the NHL like MAF did) If you looked instead at win% disregarding ties I'm sure Holtby would be a good way down the list.

e: Vasilevskiy will likely take this record from him in about 3 years

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 1, 2021

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Cocaine Bear posted:

51 shots against and he stopped 46. I'd say it's not his fault.

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you looked instead at win% disregarding ties I'm sure Holtby would be a good way down the list.

This chart looks a little outdated but I think he's still top 10 even if you count ties

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 1, 2021

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Starsfan posted:

https://twitter.com/SaadYousuf126/status/1465896273656127490

I mean come on

Miss you Holtbeast! Got his Caps jersey hanging in the closet, bought that after his Vezna year.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Holtby playing exclusively in the shootout era certainly helps him. And then I completely forgot just how insane the Caps were in the regular season. He went 48-9-7 in 15-16.

E: beaten on shootouts. Also amazed Holtby is only 32 considering how washed he looks.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Eric the Mauve posted:

IMO it's still dumb as hell to freak out and berate a ref like that as a coach, because the ref is human and is going to remember that poo poo and will most definitely not give you any breaks next time he sees you. If I were a coach I would insist on treating even the most mouthbreathing officials with the utmost respect and limiting my criticisms to "dude you blew that one, watch the video later" and training my players to do the same. But I know many/most coaches, presumably including Brind'Amour, believe that screaming at refs is showing support for your players and galvanizes them or something.

There probably was an element of gamesmanship to Brind'Amour's screaming. He managed to distract the refs and delay a faceoff by a good minute on the first penalty, giving his PKers some extra time to recover.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

quote:

From Page Six: Which retired player, honored by his former team in a pregame ceremony, angrily accosted a member of the club’s upper management because a friend of his had been a healthy scratch for the match and was thus unavailable to pose with him in uniform during the pregame festivities?

From Uncle Larry Brooks last week -- any clue who he might be gossiping about here?

Otis Reddit fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 1, 2021

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Dunno, but I have a feeling Rick Bowness was involved.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Was hoping it was Phaneuf being pissed at the Preds for benching Harpur on the 16th when the Leafs honoured Dion, but that doesn't quite match what Brooks is saying. I doubt he was pissed about Liljegren being scratched by the Leafs.

I can't think of really any other players that are both recently retired and honoured this year so far.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
That's what I was looking at -- Phaneuf. Maybe somebody on the Calgary side? But I doubt it.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The only reason I think it could be Dion is he played with Harpur a bunch in Ottawa, who was healthy scratched by the Preds when Phaneuf was honoured pregame on the 16th.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Otis Reddit posted:

From Uncle Larry Brooks last week -- any clue who he might be gossiping about here?

Did he specifically mean the Rangers? Brad Park was at a game recently but I can’t imagine him being “friends” with a current player. Unless he means friends with their dad or junior coach or some nonsense lol

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

WeaponX posted:

Did he specifically mean the Rangers? Brad Park was at a game recently but I can’t imagine him being “friends” with a current player. Unless he means friends with their dad or junior coach or some nonsense lol

He's best friends with Libor Hajek.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

He's best friends with Libor Hajek.

They will be reunited when Hajek is inevitably inducted into the HOF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3986634