Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you
Just checkin' in. Weather here is still too cold early morning for the commute but I think I will be able to get some practice in soon to shake off the winter rust. Just charged up to board to full and have to check tire pressure then we're good to go! Been too long!

Doing a trip to Vancouver Island mid April so may cruise around Victoria. Haven't really tried being a Onewheel tourist before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Just picked up a used pint for $400. Little beat up, but only 340 miles and the batteries checked out. Ridden it about 10 miles so far, and having a blast. Still building up the foot strength to stay on for more than a couple miles at a time.

Also was a great excuse to pick up an armored flannel, which I should have had for my e-bike anyway, and wrist pads. Anyone have recommendations on knee pads? I’ve got 30 year old bones and I don’t want to mess around

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Armored flannel seems hot. Do they make armored linen button downs in festive colors?

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Warbird posted:

Armored flannel seems hot. Do they make armored linen button downs in festive colors?

If they do I will buy one immediately.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

App13 posted:

Just picked up a used pint for $400. Little beat up, but only 340 miles and the batteries checked out. Ridden it about 10 miles so far, and having a blast. Still building up the foot strength to stay on for more than a couple miles at a time.

Also was a great excuse to pick up an armored flannel, which I should have had for my e-bike anyway, and wrist pads. Anyone have recommendations on knee pads? I’ve got 30 year old bones and I don’t want to mess around

I use the Leatt Dual Axis. They are spendy, but they are comfortable, don't slip down, and I have crashed in them and they worked. They also seem to be the favorite of the EUC riders around me, who go much faster.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Hello. I didn't realize that this thread was a thing.

I'm an overweight, pavement rider, with a onewheel xr and a little over 600 miles. Nothing special on the board save a fender with a bunch of stickers.

I'm in Az fwiw. There are bunch of people that ride trails out here and I'm not sure I want to risk by body.

2nd edit: Anyone have some good 3d prints for onewheel accessories. I've seen some wall mounts for the chargers. I'd like something where I can place my charging plug... which i've now lost... again. I don't have a printer but seems like there is a large overlap in the community considering it's usually a bunch of nerds with too much money on their hands.

sterster fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 31, 2023

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you
I have a quite large (for SLA) 3d printer. If anyone finds/generates a file they wanna try let me know and I'll check it out. If it works I can work on printing some up for goons who can pay shipping and a bit of resin. I don't have DMs but I check this thread fairly often.

IHear you on the foot fatigue. Thats always the first issue I have when I have been off the board for awhile. I found riding with my lead foot having the heel off the side of the board and my rear foot having a bit of toe off the side so my body was a bit angled across the board really helped. Also, really good skate shoes are amazing. Vans cush series are great and I'm a 6'1" 260lb full goon.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you
Finally got the board out for a 90 minute burn around town. See if I still go the goods. Couple stumbles but felt great, no foot fatigue or old man soreness. Now if the weather in the early morning would just warm up like a couple degrees I can start commuting again.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

shipwrek posted:

Finally got the board out for a 90 minute burn around town. See if I still go the goods. Couple stumbles but felt great, no foot fatigue or old man soreness. Now if the weather in the early morning would just warm up like a couple degrees I can start commuting again.

Nice. I've been out for a few rides this Spring, but between kids getting sick (and me too), and extended rain and cold, it's been only a few rides yet.

Passburger
May 4, 2013
I didn't expect to find a goon-EUC thread, a pleasant surprise for sure!

A friend kept trying to get me into EUCs, I was more interested in building a custom e-bike, but I finally gave in.

Been looking at used ones to start small, but there aren't many out here and the few I can find in my region are pretty well-ridden and expensive. I'm probably going to buy new Z10 from china as even the used ones here cost way more.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you
Finally! Rode Juan Whël to work! Weather has finally smartened up and I got my cool early morning run in. Truly the best way to start and end my day.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Passburger posted:

I didn't expect to find a goon-EUC thread, a pleasant surprise for sure!

A friend kept trying to get me into EUCs, I was more interested in building a custom e-bike, but I finally gave in.

Been looking at used ones to start small, but there aren't many out here and the few I can find in my region are pretty well-ridden and expensive. I'm probably going to buy new Z10 from china as even the used ones here cost way more.

Yeah, the trend has been for EUCs to get bigger and faster, and the small ones are generally old models. I had to do the same as you with buying an EUC new, as there's not too many used wheels on the market, really anywhere. On the plus side, I found it pretty easy to sell.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Bone Crimes posted:

Yeah, the trend has been for EUCs to get bigger and faster, and the small ones are generally old models. I had to do the same as you with buying an EUC new, as there's not too many used wheels on the market, really anywhere. On the plus side, I found it pretty easy to sell.

Oh drat, I thought it was just here...

Btw I found a KS 18XL on the used market in "working condition" with 6000km on it, but the person wants almost as much as a new z10 for it :negative: Gonna see how good that is and if I can haggle a bit.

Quick update, I've had my Z10 for 2 weeks now and I'm really loving it. As my first EUC ever, it was easier to get the hang of than I expected! Been riding it every day (outside of where I practised) for the past week and a half!

Passburger fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 30, 2023

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What's the current state of DIY kits?

I got really into snowboarding over the last year, and I saw the Onewheel type of devices recommended as a summer fix. However I also got wind of the OG company antics (being in Europe doesn't really help for warranty apparently). Meanwhile I found out about Floatwheel (from China(?)), but they take crypto for payment, so nope. Any other manufacturer/sellers to look for?

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's the current state of DIY kits?

I got really into snowboarding over the last year, and I saw the Onewheel type of devices recommended as a summer fix. However I also got wind of the OG company antics (being in Europe doesn't really help for warranty apparently). Meanwhile I found out about Floatwheel (from China(?)), but they take crypto for payment, so nope. Any other manufacturer/sellers to look for?

I don't really know much about this exact topic, but I do like surfdado's channel. He's been working on VESC programming for onewheels for a while and has some good insight. He's in the U.S. though, so that might change your equations. I've only looked into it a bit when I was thinking of VESCing my old XR, but ended up selling it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZs2DCckMs4

This one's a bit old, but prob a good overview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR207-4kg0o

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
I too have one of these suckers, an XR I've been riding since 2020. I mostly day ride with it so I'm somewhat used to dealing with traffic and confused pedestrians and dogs.

I've taken a few big tumbles including one where I broke my wrist. Imo the real cost of learning how to confidently ride one of these things is medical, as I had to take some serious falls before I learned the limits of the board. That said, at 34 I've been able to recover quickly and have not fallen in months now. If you take a gnarly tumble don't feel discouraged, it's part of learning.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
Learning to fall safely is a skill! It's going to happen and I encourage experimenting with falling off on a grassy or otherwise soft surface, with maximum protective gear on (elbow, knee and wrist guards, and of course a helmet). You will thank yourself later when you are able to roll off a wipeout at 18mph on concrete.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

Learning to fall safely is a skill! It's going to happen and I encourage experimenting with falling off on a grassy or otherwise soft surface, with maximum protective gear on (elbow, knee and wrist guards, and of course a helmet). You will thank yourself later when you are able to roll off a wipeout at 18mph on concrete.

This is a true skill which I'm hoping my 36yr old self still has muscle memory for. So far 2 tumbles in 750 miles doing mostly paved riding around the neighborhood.

Curious how many miles you guys out on in what time. I've had my board since 2021. Also curious when a tire change is going to be needed.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

sterster posted:

This is a true skill which I'm hoping my 36yr old self still has muscle memory for. So far 2 tumbles in 750 miles doing mostly paved riding around the neighborhood.

Curious how many miles you guys out on in what time. I've had my board since 2021. Also curious when a tire change is going to be needed.

I put about 1,700 miles on my XR over about 2 years, but I had other boards over some of that time too. I changed the tire at about 1,500 miles though I could have gone probably some more time before doing it. Almost all my riding is on streets. I replaced it with a whisper, but I hated that, so went with a new vega.

Have a bit over 800 miles on my GT and ~15 months on it. I have the slick tire, and it hardly seems worn at all. The downside is that it is very hard, and I need to run a lower pressure than recommended for good comfort/performance.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Since finding out about EUCs about a month ago (when one pulled up next to me at a stoplight) I've been thinking about them on and off... living in the SF area, it seems like it might work well around here: some transit but you'll still probably have to trek a ways (I live 1.5 miles from the BART station and about as far from Caltrain), pretty good bike lane presence, and most importantly I can just bring it inside with me at my destination so it doesn't get instantly stolen like a bicycle.

Having crashed a motorcycle in the past, I am not interested in hauling rear end. What's out there that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, has decent range (say... 30 miles?), and probably won't set my house on fire when I charge it? I've looked at some EUC forums but of course they're full of "yeah bro just buy the $5k one now, you're gonna buy half a dozen of these things anyway, and pretty soon you'll be wanting to go 35mph" poo poo.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Since finding out about EUCs about a month ago (when one pulled up next to me at a stoplight) I've been thinking about them on and off... living in the SF area, it seems like it might work well around here: some transit but you'll still probably have to trek a ways (I live 1.5 miles from the BART station and about as far from Caltrain), pretty good bike lane presence, and most importantly I can just bring it inside with me at my destination so it doesn't get instantly stolen like a bicycle.

Having crashed a motorcycle in the past, I am not interested in hauling rear end. What's out there that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, has decent range (say... 30 miles?), and probably won't set my house on fire when I charge it? I've looked at some EUC forums but of course they're full of "yeah bro just buy the $5k one now, you're gonna buy half a dozen of these things anyway, and pretty soon you'll be wanting to go 35mph" poo poo.

I'd probably get something like a V10F from Inmotion for your use case. Inmotion tends to be the 'higher spec' manufacturers - and the 'F' here denotes that they use high-quality LG batteries, vs. the no-name ones. Also this wheel is smaller & lighter than the big monster wheels, and has a good trolley handle. It's still 44 pounds, so while you can lift it up stairs and stuff, if you're going to take it on trains and stuff, you'll def want a good handle. I had a V11, which is 60 pounds, and it was a bit of a pain to take up and down stairs.

https://www.ewheels.com/product/new-inmotion-v10-v10f/

I'd personally avoid Begode.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Bone Crimes posted:

I'd personally avoid Begode.

I'll second and third that motion!

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Thank gently caress there's a OW thread, these things are dope as hell :yeah:

I flew my Pint with me to Montreal last year and had the original OW investor flag me down to chat, small world.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

White Light posted:

Thank gently caress there's a OW thread, these things are dope as hell :yeah:

I flew my Pint with me to Montreal last year and had the original OW investor flag me down to chat, small world.

Did you have any issues with the airline, flying with your pint? I hear they are legal but the airlines or security might give you a hard time.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

It's a mixed bag to be frank; some security will let you through if you explain things right, others will force you to check it in as luggage no ifs, ands or buts. I will say if you get caught in that scenario your board's battery should hold out fine worse-case scenario (traveled from Houston to Toronto back and forth with the battery doing fine), but would not recommend with long, cross-continental glove trips or it might kill the battery from holding a charge.

Your best safe bet is to manually remove the battery from your board, check in the oneWheel as part of your luggage, then bring that battery with you as a carry-on. When they ask what the battery is, tell them that this is for the filming equipment you checked in as luggage and that it MUST be brought as a carry-on or else the battery will die with the luggage. There's a form you can show that will explain this very case in their own ruling, it should not be a problem then but it is a pain in the rear end to do this. You'll have to reinstall it yourself once you land, but I don't think it's too difficult to do so and you get to watch all the people in the foreign lands watch you ride around your cool board like you stepped out of The Jetsons so it can be worth it.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

White Light posted:

it MUST be brought as a carry-on or else the battery will die with the luggage.

Wait! ¿ Batteries can die from flying? As in it's not unique to OW. What's the science going in here.

As far as flight I have an xr and wish I could fly with it. From my understanding it's 100% no go because of the battery size. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

sterster posted:

Wait! ¿ Batteries can die from flying? As in it's not unique to OW. What's the science going in here.

As far as flight I have an xr and wish I could fly with it. From my understanding it's 100% no go because of the battery size. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

It's cause the temperature drop from the altitude will gently caress with your battery being able to hold a charge, those type of batteries do not like being at cold temperatures for extended periods of time.

The only one that is airtravel safe is the OG Pint, the rest are too large for air clearance.

White Light fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 5, 2023

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Too bad FM hosed things up for the GT in regards to unplugging batteries.

k\o\w
Sep 11, 2003

Cuz's Uptown Barbeque
Cabins & Resort
"This Is Hit!"
I have wheels https://www.youtube.com/@kowz0r/shorts

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Nice, I like the googly-eyes on your T4.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
All 2023 OneWheel models are subject to a recall as they apparently have a propensity for stalling out and chucking their rider to their death. https://recall.onewheel.com/safety

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Whoopsiedoodle

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Not great!

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Future Motion pushed a new app version which required me to update the firmware on my OneWheel GT. I did that, and didn't have any issues, though some people have reported that it took them a few tries, or potentially bricked their board.

I think they took a carrot and stick approach, where they are using 'Custom Shaping 3.0' features as a carrot to install the haptic buzz safety feature. The haptic buzz is a buzz that you can feel and hear when the board hits performance limits, and is likely being added as part of an agreement with the CSPC.

I think likely they will also force all users to update via the app at some point. I think the update is only for GT right now, but I think the new haptic buzz will be coming to every board XR+ or newer. People are griping that they are only getting $100 in compensation for their onewheel + to buy a new board, as I guess they are not supposed to use it anymore?

I haven't had a chance to ride the board after I updated it, so I'll report back on my thoughts on the new features.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

So I just took a quick ride with the new firmware, and it seems.. good? I think this will differ from some hardcore riders, but for the type of riding I do, a limit at 20 mph via the buzz is good actually. The previous methods (tiltback and an alarm) weren't really all that apparent, so the buzz, which is audible and haptic, seems like a good warning system, as the other were pretty bad.

The new custom shaping seems good too, there are a lot of adjustment that will take significant time to unpack, but the adjustments really do change the ride significantly, and some address key complaints I had with the GT - like the lack of braking aggressiveness.

I've heard from others that this update is only about 70% of what the VESC boards can customize, though, but I'm not sure how much I'll be adjusting these, let alone more settings.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

So about a week ago Future Motion released a ‘new’ onewheel model. The GT – S series. This is an update of the GT model with a different battery configuration, increasing the voltage from 75V to 113V. This decreases weight and range somewhat, but increases torque and power output. They raised the top speed on this model to 25mph, from the 20 on the previous GT/XR. Also, it is $900 more than a normal GT, which is a whopping 40% more. Reviews seem pretty positive, but it’s pretty spendy. Also I wonder how they are managing this with the CSPC, as I kinda assumed that there was a limit similar to ebikes at 20mph for safety reasons, which this seems to break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That loving patent of theirs needs to void.