Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist
Jun 13, 2001
If found outside nmp3s, please return.
Hey everyone. I miss port scanning for ftp's and downloading 128kbps or -v0 full albums with my buddies.

It's was a really great time. Anyone still around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
yes

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

no

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

hi

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Yes, it’s still in my safari bookmarks, I miss that place

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
Soulseek

make sure you share, though.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Billy Ray Blowjob posted:

Soulseek

make sure you share, though.

Fuckin tryhard 11s

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm gonna be honest i kinda forgot about it and i didnt know it was gone and I do miss it now.

there really are no mp3s.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

The Walrus posted:

I'm gonna be honest i kinda forgot about it and i didnt know it was gone and I do miss it now.

there really are no mp3s.

we finally got rid of them all.

(i helped run gravelstar)

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
rip friggybum

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm frustrated the site/irc is down

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
irc is up elsewhere

Pig Newton
Jun 4, 2004
yep still here

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

One of my real life friends ran OiNK from his bedroom

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dell_Zincht posted:

One of my real life friends ran OiNK from his bedroom

oh man i still remember the day it went down

what happened to him after all that?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Earwicker posted:

oh man i still remember the day it went down

what happened to him after all that?

After he was found not guilty in the court case, he moved out of the area I believe. Wonder what he's up to now?

I was bricking it when it got seized as I was among the top users

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

I miss the crappy club dearly. Still have yet to get rid of the bookmark :sigh:

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I miss OiNK :( What was a great successor, but didn't have the same charm.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Shoutout to the yearly best of threads. The 2004-2010 ones basically shaped my entire taste in music.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I remember showing friends

ACCOUNT SHARING

and them just being blown away by these lists of awesome music that were so easily downloaded.

I did actually eventually get banned for account sharing just dling myself for friends in different dorm rooms... Like 17 years ago. But still just used the account of the guy I gave an invite to. Look we are pirates ok.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
i will never forgive you for this

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Bumping this.

I was an OG user and it 100% shaped my music taste for the entirety of the 2000s. The absolute convenience of streaming services killed my mp3 piracy and anal retentive library curation.

RIP you absolute fucken legends.

I remember the days when someone would discover a public FTP and we'd all swoop in and dump a shitload of music on there. I was working at an ISP at the time and was able to use their bandwidth to download The Cure's entire discography in under 10 mins.

The whole thing was so well run and it really was an amazing community.

psylent fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 19, 2023

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
Look at you poor fools, beaten down by streaming services. I still have the mp3s. I may end up spending hundreds a month on Bandcamp, but goddammit, I have the mp3s.

e: in case anyone else is on there, let's be buddz: https://bandcamp.com/smekermann

e2: that community is definitely the reason i'm so obsessed with music, though. so many musical tastes and genres and different viewpoints. i really don't think i would have had as informed a music view if it had not been around. it really was an amazing project.

e3: what ever happened to minya? that guy got me into Hala Strana and the rest of Steven R. Smith's weird psychedelic americana. I need to thank him for that.

Smekerman fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 22, 2023

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Yep, still have my entire collection. I discovered so much great music thanks to nmp3s. turns out it wasn't LAME. get it? GET IT?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Smekerman posted:

Look at you poor fools, beaten down by streaming services. I still have the mp3s. I may end up spending hundreds a month on Bandcamp, but goddammit, I have the mp3s.

e: in case anyone else is on there, let's be buddz: https://bandcamp.com/smekermann

bandcamp is (or was) a great site/community and the last decent online music store holdout in a world dominated by corporate assholes. unfortunately, they were bought by epic games last year, and when employees started unionizing to protect themselves epic sold it to songtradr this year, and they just fired half the staff like a week ago.

it loving sucks and its only going to get worse. i really hope a new community forms soon because these are pretty dire times.

in any case, smekermann i absolutely remember you from nmp3's and still remember your review of my "romanian" album 1989, as well as a lot of great stuff you posted. here's my bandcamp pages, as listener: https://bandcamp.com/jonbernstein and as artist: https://disparition.bandcamp.com/

i'm still connected via social media with a few of old friends from nmp3s days and have met a few in person over the years and everyone ive met through that site has been a really great person i was glad to know and still am.

Smekerman posted:

e3: what ever happened to minya? that guy got me into Hala Strana and the rest of Steven R. Smith's weird psychedelic americana. I need to thank him for that.

minya is in san francisco working as a music journalist writing about techno, djing, and organizing parties. i haven't seen him in person or talked with him at length in many years, but he seems to be doing well and following his passions

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 23, 2023

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
The annual NMP3s compilation threads were fun. I used to do mostly Euro synthpop and chill/ambient comps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I always remember how someone named Peng something or other always seemed to be the one to post a ton of new releases. I always wondered how he so consistently has early access to all of that stuff.