Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallucinojerks
Jul 24, 2022
Hi. I don't know how to describe what is happening to me very well, but I'm fairly certain that my internet access has been hacked somehow. I seem to be getting limited results as on search engines. It's almost like I only have access to a portion of the internet. I want to figure this out on my own, but I'm oddly paranoid now that I could click on a URL that could give me bad information to make this strange situation worse. Can anyone provide any guidance on various ways I can make sure my internet is functioning properly, and how I can fix it if it's not?

I really appreciate it and I'm sorry if I didn't describe my situation very well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Not sure if this thread is a joke or not but it’s highly unlikely your ‘internet access is hacked.’ Most likely you’ve got some malware or other poo poo on your computer.

hallucinojerks
Jul 24, 2022
Hi thanks for your reply. The thread is 100% not a joke, my concerns are real and I was honestly asking. I was thinking about switching my anti-virus so I maybe that will help. Thanks. If you have any other ideas about why a person's internet could be hacked, let me know.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

hallucinojerks posted:

Hi thanks for your reply. The thread is 100% not a joke, my concerns are real and I was honestly asking. I was thinking about switching my anti-virus so I maybe that will help. Thanks. If you have any other ideas about why a person's internet could be hacked, let me know.

If you're running a modern OS, it's pretty easy to not get viruses. If you're using Windows, turn on Windows Defender. I'd bet anything you've got something like a plugin or a browser extension doing some weird poo poo.

If you're really set on the idea your 'internet access is hacked' I would power cycle your modem, reset your router back to factory, and call your ISP.

edit: This is also the wrong subforum for this.

hallucinojerks
Jul 24, 2022
Hey thank you for the suggestion I will try that. I apologize that I made this post on the wrong subforum, I thought it was relevant to this subforum due to it being about gadgets and what not.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

It sounds like some kind of browser hijacking happening. I've had it redirect all searches to some shady website instead of google among other things.

Anyways, https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=170 might be a better forum for the question.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
DNS bro. It's always DNS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Are you on a Windows PC or a Mac?