Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for February, 2023?
This poll is closed.
:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) 17 34.00%
:kiddo: Kaito Kiyomiya (GHC Champion) 2 4.00%
:smugdog: Roman Reigns (WWE Champion) 3 6.00%
:abuela: Mickie James (Impact Knockouts Champion) 0 0%
:troll: Charlotte Flair (Smackdown Women's Champion) 0 0%
:pilot:Josh Alexander (Impact World Champion) 2 4.00%
:pirate: KAIRI (FORMER IWGP Women's Champion) 0 0%
:woomy: Mercedes Mone (IWGP Women's Champion) 15 30.00%
Giulia (World of Stardom Champion) 1 2.00%
Kento Miyahara (FORMER Triple Crown Champion) 2 4.00%
Yuji Nagata (Triple Crown Champion) 7 14.00%
:murder: Nick Gage (GCW Champion) 0 0%
:choco: None of the Above 1 2.00%
Total: 50 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well it was only a small number of people who bothered to vote, but the results for January of 2023 came in and... it was a return to normalcy! After AEW took the honor and broke a streak that had been going on since 2016, in 2023 January belonged once again to New Japan, and the Champion of the Month for a record 26th time (that's over 2 years as Champion of the Month!) was Kazuchika Okada! With 26% of the vote, it was a closer win than most, but he still beat his nearest competitor by 6 votes (every. vote. counts.), beating out TJPW's Yuka Sakazaki in 2nd place, and ROH's Athena and NOAH's Kaito Kiyomiya sharing third. Now we continue the long process of filling in the blank slots for each month: will Okada (or New Japan) be able to hold the position and reclaim the dominance it once had now that full cheering crowds are allowed back, or is AEW's stranglehold on Punch Sport Pagoda still unshakeable? Can WWE make an almost unfathomable comeback? Will some of the other promotions start gaining further traction? Only time will tell... so long as you vote!

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant - for instance,

Athena (ROH Women's), Baliyan Akki (Gatoh Move), Bianca Belair (Raw Women's), Claudio Castagnoli (ROH), Jamie Hayter (AEW Women's), Yuji Hino (DDT), Kaito Ishida (GLEAT), MJF (AEW), Shun Skywalker (Dragongate), and Yuka Sakazaki (TJPW) did not defend their titles this month and are temporarily removed from the poll. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you think does/doesn't deserve the votes of other posters in this thread.

:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) - Oh my God this loving guy. After defeating Shingo Takagi at The New Beginning in Osaka, Okada didn't wait for a challenge but requested Hiroshi Tanahashi face him at Battle in the Valley the next week in San Jose. Tanahashi agreed, and Okada defeated him in yet another great performance between the two of them. Okada ended that show sending the American crowd home happy, offering Tanahashi a chance to team with him again for a shot at the tag titles (held by Okada's own CHAOS teammates!), and there was a tease that he might form an intergender tag team with Mercedes Mone as well. With his swagger fully back, crowd cheering allowed back in full force in Japan, Switchblade Jay White banished from New Japan entirely... Okada is back on top where he belongs. And to top it all off, oh my God his big brothering of NOAH's Kaito Kiyomiya at Keiji Muto's retirement show was something utterly remarkable. Okada!

:kiddo: Kaito Kiyomiya (GHC Champion) - Kaito defeated Jack Morris at Great Voyage to retain his title... but it was NOT a great month for the young GHC Champion. After being jumped by New Japan's Kazuchika Okada after that match and finally getting Okada to agree to their special attraction match at Keiji Muto's retirement show... Kaito got OBLITERATED by Okada in dominant fashion, leading to much speculation that surely Kaito must have future matches/feud planned against Okada... because otherwise, ouch!

:smugdog: Roman Reigns (WWE Champion) - The big story in WWE for February was whether WWE would prove to be different from the past under the new (and rapidly being eaten by Vince McMahon) Triple H regime? Would they adapt to the huge popularity of Sami Zayn and a show happening in Montreal? Would Sami Zayn defeat Roman Reigns and finally take the title from him, with Sami facing Cody at Wrestlemania instead of Roman? How much of the current popularity of the Bloodline story was down to Roman and how much to Sami? If Sami lost, how would they attempt to soften the blow? Such enticing speculation, so many ways WWE could do something interesting and different and exciting! So anyway, Roman beat Sami and faces Cody at Wrestlemania.

:abuela: Mickie James (Impact Knockouts Champion) - Not resting on her laurels after saving her career and winning the title, James would face and defeat both Masha Slamovich and Gisele Shaw on consecutive nights to end February with her career and her title still intact.

:troll: Charlotte Flair (Smackdown Women's Champion) - A month after defeating Sonya Deville as her first title defense, Charlotte Flair faced a new challenge in... Sonya Deville. Who she beat. Again.

:pilot:Josh Alexander (Impact World Champion) - After defeating Geoffrey Percival Austere at MAW's Heart of a Warrior 3, Alexander would go on to defend his title twice more in February against Rich Swann and then New Japan's KENTA to close out the month.

:pirate: KAIRI (FORMER IWGP Women's Champion) - KAIRI got the chance to shine at Battle in the Valley that sadly Wrestle Kingdom didn't really offer her. In an incredible match that reminded viewers of how good both competitors were, KAIRI eventually lost her second title defense and her position as inaugural IWGP Women's Champion.

:woomy: Mercedes Mone (IWGP Women's Champion) - She looked at a little uncertain during her appearance at Wrestle Kingdom, but all that rust was gone at Battle in the Valley. The former Sasha Banks reminded the world why she was so incredibly popular for so long in NXT and WWE, delivering an incredible performance against KAIRI and winning the title to the delight of the fans in the crowd... including WWE's Bayley! Already set up for her next defense against AZM, as well as teasing an intergender tag team with Kazuchika Okada, Mercedes' decision to back herself continues to pay dividends.

Kento Miyahara (FORMER Triple Crown Champion) - February turned out to be a month to forget for the Best of the Best, as not only did he drop his Triple Crown championship to NJPW’s Yuji Nagata, but he could not lead his AJPW team to victory in the Tokyo Dome against a Kongoh team that featured his former dojo senpai, and nemesis, Katsuhiko Nakajima. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI!

Yuji Nagata (Triple Crown Champion) - Blue Justice reigns supreme over Japanese wrestling as Yuji Nagata becomes the fifth man to have held the top title of NJPW, AJPW and NOAH after defeating the ace of AJPW in a classic match where Nagata turned back to the clock. Nagata faces a tough test in his first defence in the form of the giant Shuji Ishikawa. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI!

Giulia (World of Stardom Champion) - Giulia finally put her controversial exit from Ice Ribbon behind her after defeating her former Ice Ribbon junior, Suzu Suzuki to make her first defence of the World of Stardom title and (shoot) reconciled with her former tag team partner Tequila Saya after the match. However, her business with former Ice Ribbon wrestlers isn’t over as she makes her second defense against Maya Yukihi in Yoyogi on March 4. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI!

:murder: Nick Gage (GCW Champion) - After six weeks, Gage defended his GCW Title again for the first time in 2023, defeating Speedball Mike Bailey - currently on a hot streak of great matches on the indies and in Impact - at GCW's Middle of the Night in a 35+ minute match.

:choco: None of the Above - Hurry up and vote! You forgot to last month and you haven't been able to sleep, and all food, drink and sex has lost its flavor, the only cure is to vote! Also the rest of you who did vote should vote as well! Whether it is for a champion or "none of the above", vote!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I was sorely tempted to give it to Mone because that match with KAIRI ruled so much, but holy poo poo what an incredible month Okada had.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Okada alone just for the Kaito match but the Takagi and Tanahashi matches put him over the top

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Looking forward to voting Okada in the tag champ poll but for now he'll have to settle for this

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I'm voting for Roman because I have decided I hate fun and/or joy this month.

Harumph.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

claudio defended his roh world title this month jerusalem

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

JOHN CENA posted:

claudio defended his roh world title this month jerusalem

According to cagematch he had a title match that airs on March 2nd, was there another one they didn't record?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ah i didnt know you went by air date.

:homebrew:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

(Almost) always do!

Just like everybody should always vote! There's just over 3 days left to get your vote in!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hmmmm. 2 champions this month had ****¾ matches: Okada (vs Takagi) & Kento Miyahara (vs Aoyagi). BUT. Kento Miyahara also had a ****½ defence (vs Nagata) so Kento Miyahara has to get my vote. He's having a ludicrous year.

And if you want to watch those 2 matches? Aoyagi defence & Nagata defence

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Kaito is going through a rough patch and needs your support.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Sticky Nate posted:

Kaito is going through a rough patch and needs your support.

I’ll be saving my GHC vote for GHLee next month

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
nothing from the champions I watch so cash rules everything around me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

2 days in (almost), 2 (or slightly more) days left to vote! So vote, vote like your favorite champion maybe winning this poll depends on it... because it does!

bartok
May 10, 2006

Okada deserves it but I can't not vote for Yuji Nagata

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Voting for Blue Justice

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

About a day and a half left to vote and I'm pleading with you, I am begging you, for God's sake vote!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

About a day and a half left to vote and I'm pleading with you, I am begging you, for God's sake vote for Kento!

Agreed

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hey, if Kento's fans want to vote for him, now's the time to do so! Same with every other champion's fans! Your vote (yes, yours!) can and will and MUST make all the difference!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Voted Mone for having a better match than Okada/Tanahashi on the same night which lacking all context means she is the next Kenny Omega.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lid posted:

Voted Mone for having a better match than Okada/Tanahashi on the same night which lacking all context means she is the next Kenny Omega.

Tony: Haha well of course, Kenny isn't going to fight Mer-
Kenny: I am gonna gently caress her up!

He showed up not to be friendly, but as an implied threat!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Being the annoying guy bumping this, because the vote total is pathetically low and it's into the last day of voting, come on!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There's 2.5 hours left, most of you have NOT voted so this is your last chance, and seriously... just vote!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

alright everyone. i've been holding you back as a prank but you can go ahead and vote now

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
If you didn’t vote for Yuji Nagata you hate justice and that’s hosed imho

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Shame about the low vote totals, but happy little Kazu went two months in a row. The AEW show today will probably make next month's top three quite a bit different

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

50 votes. Kazuchika Okada won, a record 27th time. That's great, but Jesus Christ that's a pathetic vote total. I guess I'll try to change things up next month but if people aren't going to bother to vote then I really don't know what else to do. New Japan dominated with 64% of the vote (and 3rd places's All Japan's Triple Crown Champion was New Japan Dad Yuji Nagata!) with Mercedes Mone coming within only two votes of equalling Okada. See you next month I hope!

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

As one of the two Kiyomiya voters I will take the moral victory (because there isn't another kind on offer)

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Lamuella posted:

As one of the two Kiyomiya voters I will take the moral victory (because there isn't another kind on offer)

My champ beat up your champ and stole his lunch money

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lamuella posted:

My champ drew with your champ and is also no longer a champ :(

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

SG Bamboo posted:

My champ beat up your champ and stole his lunch money

Joke's on you, Muto had already stolen that money.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
It's obvious that the complete absence of AEW world champions was the main reason for the decline in total votes.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

fez_machine posted:

It's obvious that the complete absence of AEW world champions was the main reason for the decline in total votes.

If only there was a thread where someone took the time to post links to some of the best Title matches every month...

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I've been a lame sad sack and not watching any wrestling for a few months so I haven't been voting.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
People need to broaden their horizons with regards to promotions they watch!

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Until polls work on the Awful app I'm not voting

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I voted, and do most months.

Because I am a nice boy.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Until polls work on the Awful app I'm not voting

this is my problem too, i go weeks without using my computer to browse the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well whoever makes that thing should do that thing then!