Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

What is Motogymkhana?

Motogymkhana is the sport of time-trial races on a predetermined course marked out by cones. (supposedly) Originally created by Kawasaki as a way to sell more bikes in Japan, it now has an international following.

With power and speed not being a hugely contributing factor, and the fact that you don't need an actual racetrack to race it makes it the perfect, truly international, motorsport. I in NZ can race against someone on the other side of the world cheaply and fairly.

What do I need?

You don't need much. It's an incredibly cheap sport to participate in.

• A motorcycle
  • An empty, flat, paved, car park
  • Some cones (or even some tennis balls cut in half, although these aren't to competition regulations)
  • A little bit of confidence.

Every bike is a KTM when it comes to Motogymkhana. It doesn't matter if it's big or small, a shitbox or brand new. I've seen people do it on everything from a 50cc scooter to Goldwings. With Supermotos, Busas, and Fat Bobs inbetween.

What are the rules?

The premise is simple. From the starting location follow the designated course around the cones and stop in the finishing location. Shortest time wins.

The following basic rules are usually followed:

• If you put a foot down, 1s penalty
  • If you fall off the bike, no penalty (but the timer keeps going)
  • If you knock over a cone 1s penalty (some leagues extend this to touching a cone)
  • If you do not stop in the finishing box, 3s penalty
  • If you do not do all 'obstacles' - DNF.

How do you remember the course?

Practice. Practice. Practice. The more you practice the better you get at remembering the course. The more courses you remember, the easier it becomes to remember new ones.

There can be some markers on the cones to help:

• Red Cones: Right Turn
  • Blue Cone: Left Turn
  • Coloured Cone w/ Yellow Band: You must do a 270 degrees or more rotation
  • Yellow cones: You go between them

I just wanted to watch some videos

Goon Cup 2023

Lets race each other!

The team over at M-Gymkhana run a yearly international competition. Each year there is a new layout, and each month for 5 months a new route around the cones. Everybody gets a month to practice and submit their times and a video of their run at the end of the month.

This year is titled: "The year of the Chevron". https://m-gymkhana.com/m-gymkhana-world-competition-wc-2023/

Participation is simple. Go out and practice, post your best time (and preferably a video of your run too) here by the end each the month. We can tally the times and declare a winner, who will receive a forums gift certificate.

Bonus, you can also submit your time to M-Gymkhana and see how you rank with the rest of the world.

The first course of of the cup is:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I bought some small cones and will do my best to not embarrass myself.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Years ago, some friends and I went to an abandoned parking lot and set up some cones to make a track and then did time trials on scooters.

After we got used to the course and the irregularities of the parking lot, we were dragging CVT cases around the corners.

It’s honestly some of the most fun I’ve had on two wheels, and I’d bet none of us cracked 35mph.

Assuming people have the space and can get this set up it could be really cool.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Toe Rag posted:

I bought some small cones and will do my best to not embarrass myself.

Nice! Looking forward to a video :D

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Years ago, some friends and I went to an abandoned parking lot and set up some cones to make a track and then did time trials on scooters.

After we got used to the course and the irregularities of the parking lot, we were dragging CVT cases around the corners.

It’s honestly some of the most fun I’ve had on two wheels, and I’d bet none of us cracked 35mph.

Assuming people have the space and can get this set up it could be really cool.

Somehow my club acquired a 50cc scooter I've nicknamed "The Molotov" by virtue of it having a rag instead of a gas cap. It's steering is twisted, it takes a good 5 minutes to convince it to start, the tyres do not hold pressure, and it's generally an all round piece of poo poo. But it's possibly one of the most fun pieces of poo poo to try and smash round some cones.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
If we have some dry days I'll try

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I went by the parking lot I intend to use yesterday just to practice some low speed stuff, and it's 2/3 fenced off for construction :negative:

This is the only reliably empty (and probably biggest) lot in the city. As such, it's where everyone goes to teach someone else to ride/drive/bicycle, so it can get crowded on the weekends, with people who don't know what they're doing. I'll have to go back on a weekday and see if it's any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Thursday is Gymkhana Day \ o /

Had someone take a video of one of my runs.
This was probably my worst run of the night. Stalled it at the start, rear-wheel got kicked out by a bump in the asphalt, and had unexpected stoppie at the end.
https://imgur.com/ky9T29c

My Best time: 00:47.135

Clubs best time: 00:43.738

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 9, 2023