Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Hi there.

EA Games has released a Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes clone for the LOTR IP. I am bringing you this summary post as a member of the SWGOH goon discord and also as your friend in christ.

First off: Join the discord. We have literally 7 years of experience with heroes games and will advise you accordingly. Plus we are fun:
https://discord.gg/gXEKgMxg

Secondly, this is NOT A GACHA. Don't buy character chests with your gems that's not how this works. You will use gems for energy to farm your toons (and gear).

The goon guild is Something Smaugful, which you can search for/apply for when you hit level 10. Give us the high sign (here or in discord) when you apply so we know you're not a nasssssty pubbsie

Here are some more links:
Beginner's guide:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/14no_PxW-K9_7Tl2bcWLisP0Vz9fds-rGeIbrMEiSBoE/edit#slide=id.p

gg site:
https://lotr.gg/

Farming calculator:

Character shard locations:

fishtobaskets fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Reserved.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
:nexus:

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

It was mentioned in the OP but bears repeating:

DO NOT SPEND GEMS ON CHESTS!

Games like this are a marathon with long term development of your roster and resource management.

Teva
Feb 22, 2007

If SW:GOH didn't make you miserable enough, this ought to do a great job of putting you over the top.

Expired Vitamin
Jul 3, 2017

I hope I won't be bottlenecked farming infinite pipeweed to take my characters to gear level 8.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Expired Vitamin posted:

I hope I won't be bottlenecked farming infinite pipeweed to take my characters to gear level 8.

Narrator:

Lumberjerk
Dec 29, 2004
Merry Christmas, you flannel-clad bastard.
and my axe!

(please let me into your club, i just applied)

((in-game name is Lumberjerck to get around the swear filter))

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Expired Vitamin posted:

you need fifty leaves of three different strains to make 'a wizar'ds pipe' for gandalf relic level 1

Teva
Feb 22, 2007

Expired Vitamin posted:

It's crystals this time

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Cool, always wanted to give one of these a try before the power creep made the farming unbearable.

Just applied to the guild as RingBear.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I updated the OP with a better beginner guide and a link to the gg site, which has a ton of info including a tier list.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Jeez, I've played enough of these to have intuited most of the tips, but i do disagree with the hobbits being that bad a choice especially if you're f2p, doing the hobbit adventure gets you a 3 star you can slot into another team of 3/4 star hobbits and is probably the easiest team to power boost to clear the campaign. Plus these games usually will have another hobbit or road to rivendell gandalf the gray on a horse pop up to fill the team out later. I got the 4 star grozh whatever fella and then been pumping pippin and I'm still doing well with tier 5 gear (barely hitting mid 30s). Found it a lot harder to pump Eowyns folks fwiw, mostly cause they start at lower stars to begin with. Eowyn herself is a beast tho.

Any room in the guild? I do like having EowynsSweatySupportStraps by my name but it is a tad lonely...

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If you can pop on the discord we will get you in or post your ally code in here

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

518 535 558 thanks!

Verno5x
Aug 23, 2003

CRAFT OR DIE
Guild invite request sent from Verno

Kyro
Aug 1, 2021

I sang Bye Bye Bye
and all I got was this
STUPID AVATAR

Just applied to the guild
IG: Kyro

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Applied to the guild as Stick in game

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010
Applied to guild as Bobatron, also discord link is expired maybe in OP?

Kyro
Aug 1, 2021

I sang Bye Bye Bye
and all I got was this
STUPID AVATAR

3 days in and the F2P route ain’t to bad. I haven’t noticed any hero’s blocked by a paywall yet either as everyone seems to be grind-able or purchased with earn-able currencies

Teva
Feb 22, 2007

Yeah, that's basically their MO. Everything is obtainable, it's just a grind.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Nurraz seems like a real good candidate for another orc to level along the starter orcs and ghazh.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ZionestLord posted:

Applied to guild as Bobatron, also discord link is expired maybe in OP?

I think this is fixed. Not sure why it broke I didn't think those things expired.
https://discord.gg/gXEKgMxg

Android Lust
Sep 2, 2012

I am working handily every day to unleash a full goblin team on arena. God bless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Welp, just got a message that this is gone in May. I actually appreciated that I was able to progress pretty well without spending money