Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Pro-Wrestling Champion for May, 2023?
This poll is closed.
:ussr: SANADA (IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) 7 11.48%
:greenangel: Athena (ROH Women's Champion) 10 16.39%
:hayter: Jamie Hayter (FORMER AEW Women's Champion) 2 3.28%
:science: Toni Storm (AEW Women's Champion) 0 0%
:megaman: Claudio Castagnoli (ROH World Champion) 3 4.92%
Tam Nakano (World of Stardom Champion) 1 1.64%
:gaz: Deonna Purrazzo (Impact Knockouts Champion) 0 0%
:viconia: Jake Lee (GHC Champion) 0 0%
Masha Slamovich (GCW Champion) 0 0%
:byodame: Rhea Ripley (Smackdown Women's Champion) 2 3.28%
:thurman: Bianca Belair (FORMER Raw Women's Champion) 0 0%
Asuka (Raw Women's Champion) 1 1.64%
Mizuki (Princess of Princess Champion) 1 1.64%
Steve Maclin (Impact World Champion) 2 3.28%
T-Hawk (G-REX Champion) 0 0%
Hagane Shinnou (Super Asia Champion) 0 0%
:smug: MJF (AEW Champion) 27 44.26%
Shun Skywalker (FORMER Open the Dream Gate Champion) 0 0%
Madoka Kikuta (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 3 4.92%
:btroll: Yuji Hino (KO-D Openweight Champion) 0 0%
Yuji Nagata (Triple Crown Champion) 1 1.64%
:tbear: None of the Above 1 1.64%
Total: 61 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant - for instance, Mayu Iwatani (IWGP Women's) and Roman Reigns (WWE) did not defend their titles this month and are temporarily removed from the poll (good thing Cody didn't win at Mania, the "story" of Roman Reigns as Champion is just too strong to have been halted!). The next "World Championship" in WWE recently won by Seth Rollins will not be added to the poll, as WWE themselves have made it clear the belt is a secondary (tertiary!) title for the losers who can't beat true champion Roman Reigns, effectively making it a second Intercontinental Title. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you think does/doesn't deserve the votes of other posters in this thread.

:ussr: SANADA (IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) - Before taking a backseat for most of the month due to the Best of the Super Junior Tournament running through May, handsome SANADA went to Wrestling Dontaku and took on his old LIJ stablemate Hiromu Takahashi to defend his title. Junior Heavyweight Champion Hiromu has made no secret of his ambitions to win the world title despite being a Junior Heavyweight, though unlike his other stablemate Shingo Takagi he has no plans to move up in weight... he wants to do it AS a Junior, an idea that Jushin Liger is enthusiastically, perhaps aggressively, behind. But it wasn't to be at Dontaku, as Hiromu put up a drat good fight but SANADA simply proved the stronger, more resilient and handsomer man.... only to be struck by a werewolf meteor immediately after the match, as in a shockingly quick return Yota Tsuji returned from his excursion and laid out all of Just Five Guys including the World Champion, and staked his claim for the next shot at SANADA's title.

:greenangel: Athena (ROH Women's Champion) - Athena continues to run roughshod over her competitors in ROH, with wins over Angelica Risk and Promise Braxton coming quickly, but it taking her almost 15 minutes to put down small lost child Skye Blue in their HonorClub match. The benefit of being ROH champion of course is that Athena is getting to lord it up and she's real, real, real good at that! It's just a shame she wasn't featured in the most recent AEW PPV in some capacity, she would have almost certainly delivered a better match than what we unfortunately got from....

:hayter: Jamie Hayter (FORMER AEW Women's Champion) - Hayter's first title reign got off to such a great start but unfortunately ended in a way that nobody was happy about. Having been injured (I guess? I assume that's true?), rather than face a situation with yet another instance of the women's title being vacated, it was turned into an angle where Toni Storm and her "Outcasts" had been repeatedly ambushing Hayter and using the numbers to put a beating on her to weaken her grip on the title. Hayter at least made it to Double or Nothing and wrestled a brief match full of shenanigans, run-ins and spray paint, but in 3 minutes a title reign that started with such promise was ended, with the hope now that she'll be back in time to make a hero's return at Wembley in August.

:science: Toni Storm (AEW Women's Champion) - As unashamed as she is about cheating to win now, Toni is equally unashamed to just straight up lie and claim she did it all herself and mock Hayter as using the crippling injuries she suffered (as the result of the ambushes of Toni and her Outcast teammates) to avoid being a fighting champion. This second title reign is a chance for her to really enjoy herself, after the first reign was tainted by people lying and pretending that it was an interim title, even though those don't exist (which AEW later admitted and agreed they were wrong about). Yes, everything's coming up Toni.... including a furious Hikaru Shida wielding a kendo stick and barrelling straight towards her at full steam!

:megaman: Claudio Castagnoli (ROH World Champion) - In addition to everything he's doing as an integral part of the Blackpool Combat Club in AEW (and in June he'll be appearing in New Japan too!), Claudio was able to fit in a couple of title defenses of his ROH title too! Beating Robbie Eagles and Serpentico in separate matches, Claudio is reveling in his career resurgence since leaving WWE, getting plenty of screen time, big wins, PPV main events, AND to top it all off he's proving good on all the promise he never not to showcase as ROH Champion during his failed attempts at the title in the mid-2000s. It's good to be a King, becaue Kings. Reign. Supreme. supreme. supreme. supreme.

Tam Nakano (World of Stardom Champion) - Tam went for all the marbles in May, and her gamble paid off. In a title vs. title match at Stardom's Flashing Champions show in late May, Tam Nakano faced Mina Shirakawa in a match where both the World of Stardom and Wonder of Stardom Titles were up for grabs. Beating Shirakawa in less than 20 minutes, Nakano - who was already on top of Stardom's mountain - now has more gold added to her collection.

:gaz: Deonna Purrazzo (Impact Knockouts Champion) - Purrazzo wasn't feeling under siege at Under Siege, because though her familiar opponent Jordynne Grace is a formidable one, she'd also never beaten Purrazzo in a match where the title was on the line... and May was no different. With four wins (involving the title) over Grace, Purrazzo would be justified in feeling secure, especially with Grace's contract with Impact coming to an end and her claiming she plans to take a break from wrestling. What next for Purrazzo? Not Jordynne Grace!

:viconia: Jake Lee (GHC Champion) - Running through the top guys of NOAH is a nice way to prove he belongs at the top himself, which is just what Jake Lee has been doing. After beating young (should-be) Ace of the promotion Kiyomiya to win the belt in March, then successfully defending against the arrogant Katsuhiko Nakajima in April, Lee then beat the older former Ace of the promotion, Naomichi Marufuji in May. The move from All Japan really seems to have paid off for Lee so far, though it being NOAH, there is always the danger of some grumpy old man lurking in the background ready to wrench it all away when they get tired of destroying Kiyomiya's remaining credibility.

Masha Slamovich (GCW Champion) - Continuing her busy run as Champion of GCW, Masha ran through New York, Detroit and Columbus across May as she defeated Alec Price and Mance Warner in singles matches, and retained her title in a Five Way scramble against Allysin Kay, LuFisto, Shazza McKenzie and Maki Itoh at The Way I Am PPV (her singles match against Mance was the very next day). She is NOT resting on her laurels, which may explain while she's currently also holding six other promotions' titles too!

:byodame: Rhea Ripley (Smackdown Women's Champion) - After defeating the massively popular hometown hero Zelina Vega in Puerto Rico in just over 7 minutes at the start of May, Ripley actually had a far easier time at the end of the month as she destroyed challenger Nattie Neidhart in just over a minute in their match at the Blood Money Show in Saudi Arabia.

:thurman: Bianca Belair (FORMER Raw Women's Champion) - Smackdown Superstar Bianca Belair who was drafted to Smackdown and is a Smackdown only wrestler and can only appear on Smackdown has wrestled ONCE on Smackdown once she was "drafted" to Smackdown. Then the Smackdown wrestler lost her title at the most recent Blood Money Show in Saudi Arabia, ending a record breaking longest reigning champion of the modern era title-reign which means.... something? Anyway, Bianca's cool, but that didn't help her against....

Asuka (Raw Women's Champion) - Yes, Asuka is finally a champion again, and since she is a Raw only wrestler she can now make appearances on Raw as the Raw Champion as opposed to the former Raw champion who was a Smackdown wrestler who just appeared on Raw anyway why not. Forget all that bullshit though, Asuka is cool, the crowd rightly loves her, she spits mist in people's faces, she's even added chili-flakes to the mist! As the saying goes, nobody is ready for Asuka.

Mizuki (Princess of Princess Champion) - Mizuki kicked off a fairly quiet month of May by successfully defending her title against Sawyer Wreck at TJPW's Yes! Wonderland show in just over 10 minutes. A foot taller than the champion, the image of Mizuki and Wreck going toe-to-toe was quite something, but size means little against the powers of that loving rabbit.

Steve Maclin (Impact World Champion) - Determined to prove that he wasn't just the beneficiary of Josh Alexander's forced vacating of the title, Maclin's second defense of the belt came in a bloody and some say horrifying match against PCO at the Under Siege PPV, where things got bloody. Very bloody. Jon Moxley nodding like Jack Nicholson in The Departed bloody.

T-Hawk (G-REX Champion) - It was a month of contrasts for T-Hawk. While he reigned supreme in GLEAT, defeating Check Shimatani to retain his G-REX title in the middle of the month, he had less luck going for another promotion's big title to wrap up May: more on that below!

Hagane Shinnou (Super Asia Champion) - Shinnou finally had their first defense of the title at the end of May, and fittingly his first opponents were the previous two holders of the Super Asia Title. In a three way match, Shinnou defeated Baliyan Akki and Minoru Fujita to retain the title at Gatoh Move's celebtration of the 5th Anniversary of Chaos Goblin Mei Suruga's debut as a pro-wrestler.

:smug: MJF (AEW Champion) - The smug sonuvabitch went and did it again! After doing everything in his power to prevent a four way match for his AEW Title, and attempts to bribe and pretend friendship with Sammy Guevara to convince him to lay down in the match, MJF ended up having to face the other three of the "Four Pillars of AEW" for his title at Double or Nothing. But while MJF barely ever wrestles, when he does it's always impressive, and this was no exception. A very active participant in a frenetic and action-packed match, MJF ended up managing to take advantage of the AEW Title being in the ring to set up rival Darby Allin to take himself out on the belt while doing his Coffin Drop Finisher, and MJF then made a point of pinning Darby for the second time in their AEW careers with a Side Headlock Takedown. Declaring he is becoming "bored" with wrestling and might just retire in 2024 and take the title with him, MJF spent the post-PPV scrum mocking Tony Khan, the other wrestlers in the promotion, and declared New Japan (co-hosting the upcoming Forbidden Door PPV with AEW) an indy promotion! This guy REALLY knows how to push buttons!

Shun Skywalker (FORMER Open the Dream Gate Champion) - Skywalker's second reign atop Dragon Gate was over in half the time of his first, as on only his second defense he fell, losing the belt to...

Madoka Kikuta (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - The young (well, it's Dragongate!) Kikuta went into Dead or Alive aiming to revenge the humiliating referee stoppage he faced in his first ever shot at the belt two years earlier... against Shun Skywalker! But this time, he succeeded!

:btroll: Yuji Hino(KO-D Openweight Champion) - Unfortunately, Hino defended his title in May. Unfortunately because it was against Yuki Ino. Ino is a good wrestler, and in any other circumstances seeing the two big boys slam into each other would be a good time. But Ino is also in Pheromones, and if you don't know what that faction is, count yourself lucky. Garbage match. Boo.

Yuji Nagata (Triple Crown Champion) - Nagata continued his late career run as Triple Crown Champion when he successfully defended the titles against GLEAT's G-REX Champion T-Hawk on Night 4 of All Japan's Super Power Series tour, and will be representing the top of All Japan at the joint All Together show with New Japan and NOAH in June.

:tbear: None of the Above - If you've tipped over the garbage can that is pro-wrestling and snuffled around for a Champion to vote for but found the offers on hand wanting, then None of the Above is the option for you!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

5 days to get your votes in, I had to give it to MJF this month mostly because SANADA took such a backseat due to BOSJ, and MJF was cutting great promos and had a fantastic match at the PPV to boot.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Didn't even look at any of the other options before voting SANADA

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
ugh I wanted to vote for Athena since she really should've won at least once by now, but it was absolutely MJF's month

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

How could it be anyone but the Big Dog?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

How could it be anyone but the Big Dog?

Tsuji won't be an option until next month

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Wanted to vote Kris Stat, couldn't.

Will never vote for heel MJF.

Voted for Athena, and it feels good.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Kikuta needs love

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

MJF had an all-time great title match, some incredible character work leading up to it, and had built intrigue towards what he's doing at Forbidden Door. Had to give it to him this month.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Punch McLightning posted:

Kikuta needs love

I concur. That match at Dead or Alive with Shun Skywalker (Which you can watch here. And honestly, you should) was spectacular. Top 10 match of the year to date from the more than 1,100 matches I've watched from 2023.

Hands down Madoka Kikuta gets the nod from me.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I voted for Rhea Ripley.

My reasons are my own, and I'll thank you to stay out of my personal life.

I don't have to tell you anything. You're not my real dad.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

As an app user I can’t vote, and he’s not an option, but it’s Orange Cassidy.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

RandolphCarter posted:

a compelling argument

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

RandolphCarter posted:

I would have voted OC if he were an option, too. Can he finally get to the feud against MJF already and it's just full blown Bugs Bunny exasperating Daffy Duck over and over and over again?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

maxwell

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

forkboy84 posted:

I concur. That match at Dead or Alive with Shun Skywalker (Which you can watch here. And honestly, you should) was spectacular. Top 10 match of the year to date from the more than 1,100 matches I've watched from 2023.

Hands down Madoka Kikuta gets the nod from me.
:hai:

His arc from getting injured in his first title shot, losing a year, working his way back up, then getting another shot at the same event on the same date against the same champion two years later was so good. It's the perfect payoff, and the callbacks in the match were fantastic. Highly, highly recommended.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just under a day in, just over 4 days to vote, and if you don't, then you won't. So you should, because you could!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just under 2 days in, just over 3 days to vote, can MJF's current lead be overtaken, or does he have it secured already? The only, the ONLY, way to know for sure is for you (YOU!) to vote!

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Athena

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/59hd6JZ.mp4

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
He's better than you, and you know it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

StarkRavingMad posted:

He's better than you, and you know it.

At just under 3 days in with just over 2 days left to vote, 45% of Goons agree that MJF is better than them. 55% are still in denial, but haven't formed a united enough front.... yet! But votes can change anything, so long as they're made :hmmyes:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

4 days gone, 1 day to go, voting totals are low and that's bad, so vote instead, which is good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Please vote, I'm begging you, it's easy and fast and makes you cool :smith:

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

B-b-b-blue justice 4 lyfe

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Please vote, I'm begging you, it's easy and fast and makes you cool :smith:

Sorry J-Ru, I didn’t see the thread until now. I would have voted for MJF.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Due in part (or perhaps, entirely!?!) to Sandman McMahon's blatant disregard for civic duty, we had a pathetically low turnout for votes in May, but we were still left with a winner. Returning to the winner's circle for the second time in three months, MJF's victory over the other 3 of the "Four Pillars" of AEW saw him unthrone April's winner SANADA who fell to third place behind ROH's Athena, who is consistently in the top vote getters each month but has never managed to win the whole thing. I guess that's because MJF was better than them, and we all knew it.... for May at least, who knows what June may bring? For the year so far, New Japan is beating AEW 3 months to 2, can another promotion or another champion step up to the plate too?

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

wrestling is dying.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sanada about your drat luck

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Don't look at me, I voted for Athena

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,