Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Not really, his first one was ok but his shtick is pretty played out at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jerusalem posted:

Understandable, we found his ONE weakness as a pro-wrestler during the pandemic, one that would almost never be an issue anywhere ever in a regular pro-wrestling career: he absolutely NEEDS the crowds to feed off of to perform at the highest level. Going through that period of starvation and getting THAT reaction must have been glorious.

Okada's hosed Up Back and Okada Abandons The Rainmaker For The Far Superior World Famous Money Clip were both loving brilliant, genius is always unappreciated in its time.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yano's shtick really needs a hot crowd for it to click and well as we saw in the g1 a lot of the non Tokyo stops are not back to where they were before the pandemic. Plus Yano needs some new material too

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Yano could use a year in another promotion, New Japan have seen his act forever and need a little break to freshen it back up

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

Jerusalem posted:

Also love the couple of stone-faced dudes who I guess are not Tranquilo in there :allears:

Perhaps they are the most Tranquilo :thunk:

Burn Down Canberra posted:

https://twitter.com/kelen_59/status/1690737090181615617?t=qoYPnhGZ-XaPF_W29jHTuA&s=19

Photographer caught Okada having an emotional reaction to the crowd noise.

Love this beautiful boy.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
gently caress me, that crowd just filled me with an energy I haven't felt in years. There's absolutely nothing like a big time New Japan main event.

I'm just gonna go watch the entrances again a couple more times.

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony

edogawa rando posted:

Didn't really have a chance to watch the G1 due to timezone and work, so I'll go through them over the next few days/weeks/months.

Since I love Yano shenanigans at the G1, did he have any matches worth watching for a chuckle?

Him vs Zack was the most entertaining and creative match he had this tournament. You might dig him vs Cobb as well, but it's only a minute or two long. This years format meant he didn't get to work with as many people as I would have liked, I'd have preferred him in A block so at least there could have been another chapter of Yano vs Sanada plus him loving with all the new blood.

This is what it's all about.

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?
Work has been hectic so I've fallen behind, but I finally just watched Naito/Ospreay. Holy loving poo poo that was excellent. Match of the Year for me right now, though it's neck-and-neck with Ospreay/Omega from Forbidden Door. This Ospreay kid is pretty good, I think he might be going places.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Just going over this photo there is so much good stuff. Far left towards the top a couple of okada fans, middle of the top a father and son celebrating. Idk that match is going to be very special to me as a fan of this promotion. It's been a tough few years at times.

The first g1 final with cheering really had to be okada v naito. I'm so glad they run that match

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Dave gave Naito vs Ospreay 6 stars.

EVIL vs. Okada: 4.5
Naito vs. Okada: 5.25

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony

Kennel posted:

Dave gave Naito vs Ospreay 6 stars.

EVIL vs. Okada: 4.5
Naito vs. Okada: 5.25

Naito's finally in the six star club! Highest uncle dave ever gave him before was 5.75 for the G1 final he had with Kenny six years or so back.

He's also in the club of having had more than one match rated 5+ stars within a 24 hour period (along with Kenny and Ibushi- though Dave's mentioned seeing Flair do the same thing on untelevised matches).

This is a bit amusing to me as I've always felt like Dave's not really that into Naito, but by his own ratings he's now breathing extremely elite air.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Sooper Gila posted:

Naito's finally in the six star club! Highest uncle dave ever gave him before was 5.75 for the G1 final he had with Kenny six years or so back.

He's also in the club of having had more than one match rated 5+ stars within a 24 hour period (along with Kenny and Ibushi- though Dave's mentioned seeing Flair do the same thing on untelevised matches).

This is a bit amusing to me as I've always felt like Dave's not really that into Naito, but by his own ratings he's now breathing extremely elite air.

Off the top of my head okada got 5 stars for his match with ibushi night 1 of wk 14 and with naito night 2 of wk 14 too

Edit

Sorry mate I can't read lol. You said 5+ meltzer insanely "only" gave Okada v naito 5 stars (after originally giving it 4.75 like wtf it's the literal perfect wrestling match)

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 18, 2023

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Off the top of my head okada got 5 stars for his match with ibushi night 1 of wk 14 and with naito night 2 of wk 14 too

Edit

Sorry mate I can't read lol. You said 5+ meltzer insanely "only" gave Okada v naito 5 stars (after originally giving it 4.75 like wtf it's the literal perfect wrestling match)

Actually I think you've got the right idea! If we just look at two matches rated five star or higher in 24 hours, the sole difference is Okada gets admitted to that club, and he deserves to be in. So I'll just refer to it as you did from now on as it's better that way. I think a selection of Okada, Kenny, Ibushi and Naito really defines the neo golden age of New Japan pretty well even as much as I'd like to put Tanahshi in there too. I think Tanahashi's only missing because of match layout in those g1's, if he'd gone against say Okada and Ibushi in 24 hours back in 2018 he'd have no doubt done this too. Ishii as well.

Dave and Garrett talked about this a little bit yesterday, Garret noted that Naito and Ibushi are now in the record books for each having 11.25 stars combined in subsequent matches.

Okada's now tied with Misawa for second place in most five star matches, with Ospreay having a two match lead over both of them. Short of some horrific disaster Okada's almost certainly going to pass Misawa at some point in the next year. Ten years ago I never imagined these records would be broken...

I don't mean to clutter this thread up with star ratings talk, I'm not someone that lives or dies by them. As a long suffering Naito fan though it's often felt like he's gotten shafted in terms of recognition at many levels, so I'm excited to see him getting some critical acclaim of historical proportions.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Sooper Gila posted:

Actually I think you've got the right idea! If we just look at two matches rated five star or higher in 24 hours, the sole difference is Okada gets admitted to that club, and he deserves to be in. So I'll just refer to it as you did from now on as it's better that way. I think a selection of Okada, Kenny, Ibushi and Naito really defines the neo golden age of New Japan pretty well even as much as I'd like to put Tanahshi in there too. I think Tanahashi's only missing because of match layout in those g1's, if he'd gone against say Okada and Ibushi in 24 hours back in 2018 he'd have no doubt done this too. Ishii as well.

Dave and Garrett talked about this a little bit yesterday, Garret noted that Naito and Ibushi are now in the record books for each having 11.25 stars combined in subsequent matches.

Okada's now tied with Misawa for second place in most five star matches, with Ospreay having a two match lead over both of them. Short of some horrific disaster Okada's almost certainly going to pass Misawa at some point in the next year. Ten years ago I never imagined these records would be broken...

I don't mean to clutter this thread up with star ratings talk, I'm not someone that lives or dies by them. As a long suffering Naito fan though it's often felt like he's gotten shafted in terms of recognition at many levels, so I'm excited to see him getting some critical acclaim of historical proportions.

I enjoy reading your analysis!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
As someone sick of the Okada/Naito matchup, I thought the final was pretty good. Electric finishing stretch, counters on counters on counters as they've been wrestling each other for more than a decade now, and Naito won despite whiffing a Stardust Press (which is a move I still wish he'd permanently retire). I think in a vacuum the match would completely blow me away.