Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
My husband keeps telling me that the non-GMO stuff is better than GMO and he likes it because its organic. - I keep trying to tell him non-gmo is NOT organic, it still has pesticides on it. The whole non-gmo thing is just a scam to charge more money for the same damned thing. I even brought up the pink salt that I got (because it looked nice in the shaker) and noticed it had the non-gmo verified label on it. - salt does not have genetices its a f' mineral.

So I am pretty much just looking for someone to tell me I am correct, but I will take everything into consideration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip-Mq1YHEag

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I can't think of a single thing actually wrong with GMOs. It's just idiot Whole Foods hippies maligning them for idiot hippie reasons.

Organic plants are supposed to be safer and potentially produce bigger, better, and more flavorful yields than non-organic, but organic produce is more expensive because the fertilizers and pesticides and whatnot that go into growing it break down faster (due to being organic i.e. carbon-based) and have to be applied more often, so the production costs are higher. However the quicker breakdown is also partly what makes it safer, since it means any potentially toxic compounds should be mostly gone by the time it gets to market, and whatever is left is easier to wash off because carbon-based.

I'm not 100% sure if there's a distinction between organic/non-organic and GMO/non-GMO, although I don't typically see organic products that aren't also non-GMO. I want to say there's a kind of "rule" that GMOs cannot be organic by definition regardless of how they're grown, but I don't know if that's actually true. I feel like if there is a distinction like that, then it's getting smaller as science and technology progress, but I may be wrong.

You are correct that not all non-GMOs are organic.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 11, 2023

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I think all organic food is non-gmo or mostly is. It's just paying the extra money for the non-gmo label that pisses me off. I have an idea in my head where I will geta regular tomato, a non-gmo verified tomato, and an organic tomato and see if he can tell the differance. But that requires wasting money that I don't have. so just an idea.