Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

You know how this works now. Post your ADTRW New Year’s resolution. This is an auto-toxx thread and fluffdaddy will shoot you from his sniper tower if you fail. Most challenging completed resolution gets a prize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
For next year I am thinking this:

- Passing the 5-kyu JLPT and making progress on 4-kyu.
- Vacation in Japan at least once.
- Practice Japanese on average around an hour a day (goal here is sustained effort, not crunching).
- Practice drawing on average for an hour a day (sustained effort, not crunching or forcing myself).
- Finish at least ONE personal programming/gamedev project stuck in development hell, and by finish I mean get to a state where its functional and shareable.
- Lose 30 more lbs or whenever I start to see abs, whichever comes first for my body type/fat percentage.
- This is more of a stretch goal, get at least started on producing one video essay.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sb hermit posted:

Do 10 3 ep tests

I might up this to 50 if I feel up to it

again

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

In 2024,
I will read 3 more visual novels. I will not complain about this
I will watch 10 anime series
I will keep wrestling club up to date barring a significant excuse

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I'm going to beat the following:

Labyrinth of Refrain
Labyrinth of Galleria
Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei
Ever 17
2 more vns TBD later

I will also read a combined 350 chapters of manga, since it feels like it's been a while since I sat down and read a bunch of manga

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
After finishing gintama, i figured i should go back and watch a bunch of shorter series and films that i never saw in full. So i'll try to finish the following in 2024:

• Revolutionary Girl Utena and the film.
  • Princess Tutu
  • The original Puella Magi Madoka Magica and the Rebellion film
  • Your Name
  • Princess Mononoke
  • Violet Evergarden and the film
  • Cowboy Bebop
  • Ping Pong the Animation
  • Wolf Children
  • Grave of the Fireflies
  • Chihayafuru s3
  • Symphogear AXZ and XV
  • Yama no Susume s3 and s4
  • Yesterday wo Utatte
  • Hibike Euphonium 1 and 2
  • Katanagatari
  • Mind Game
  • Shinsekai Yori

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

- hit less than 15% body fat and start bulking/cutting cycles
- finish jlpt level 5 grammar on bunpro
- write an electronic music song
- read a visual novel

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'll also add that I'm going to finish reading all three volumes of Das Kapital this year as well. :commissar:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'll also add that I'm going to finish reading all three volumes of Das Kapital this year as well. :commissar:

Ah, so you have chosen death.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

haven't done this before but it's a good kick in the pants for certain things i want to accomplish so gently caress it:
  • 3-ep test 10 seasonals
  • Finish 5 seasonals
  • Finish the following
    -- Azumanga Daioh
    -- Evangelion
    -- Kaguya-sama
  • Attend at least 2 cons

symbolic fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 2, 2024

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i'll watch 50 anime movies that i haven't seen before.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I am gonna watch everything I haven't seen on Sight & Sound's 50 Key Anime Films list. I've seen a good chunk of it so I am also gonna rewatch anything that I haven't seen within the past two years. It'll be a good way to get me to finally revisit some movies that deserve it - like it has been at least 10 years since I've last seen Akira!

Also gonna whip together a Letterboxd list to rank 'em all as I go along and hopefully get better at typing up things instead of just logging and forgetting about it - that's not part of my toxx tho, just a side goal if you will.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hope you enjoy Legend of the Overfiend lol

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Hope you enjoy Legend of the Overfiend lol

yea it's something I've known *of* for 20 years but have never actually seen it since I know I'd have a bad time haha. but I guess the historical context is why it made that list.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The UK VHS release hit the tabloids and basically coloured the general impression of anime here for like the next 20 years and probably still does in some way.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

The UK VHS release hit the tabloids and basically coloured the general impression of anime here for like the next 20 years and probably still does in some way.

When put that way it sure makes sense why a UK publication would put it on their list!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i WILL finish death note, and finally watch Your Name

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Namtab posted:

In 2024,
I will read 3 more visual novels. I will not complain about this
I will watch 10 anime series
I will keep wrestling club up to date barring a significant excuse

Started 9 persons, 9 hours, 9 doors

Watched Afro Samurai

Wrestling club remains up to date

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Julias posted:

• Revolutionary Girl Utena and the film.

I have finished both of these, having watched the film twice back to back after finishing the tv series. I can definitely see how Utena was massively influential on many of it's viewers and contemporary artists in the anime/manga industry. I'm still digesting my thoughts on both, especially the film. I do think i prefer the tv series as a whole, for having a strong buildup and good depth to the various characters and themes that it explores, whereas the movie has gorgeous visuals and scenery, but lacks a lot of that character depth, especially without having prior knowledge of the tv series. This leaves the movie a weird piece of where it both seems to expect you to be familiar with the original work in order to grasp at a lot of the points and themes it's laying out, but is also acting as an alternate continuity that changes various aspects from the tv series in a confusing way, especially with regards to certain characters like Touga. I think i like having the movie act as a capstone to the tv series, because the climax of the film is way more of a direct, cathartic and satisfying resolution in the traditional sense than what the TV show ends on, but it still feels somewhat incongruous with the original tv show. In the end though, i'm glad to have finally watched both of these works, and will still be thinking about them for years to come.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Q1 check-in, overall not bad progress

symbolic posted:

3-ep test 10 seasonals
  • Dungeon Meshi
  • Tis Time for "Torture," Princess
  • Metallic Rouge

symbolic posted:

Finish 5 seasonals
  • Tis Time for "Torture," Princess

symbolic posted:

Finish the following
-- Azumanga Daioh
-- Evangelion
-- Kaguya-sama
still where i was with Azumanga and Eva, almost done with Kaguya-sama but i've gotten sidetracked with other shows for a little while now

symbolic posted:

Attend at least 2 cons
got back from number two on sunday so i can cross this one off fully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I posted it in the wrong thread but I finished 999 and VLR. VLR is a tad too long but it mostly came together in the end