Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!

Part 8 - Wanted: Alive

The final mission in our unrelenting gauntlet to the end of the game. There were actually a few more deaths on this run that were conveniently cut out though you wouldn't really know from watching. This episode had us talking about a lot of stuff both about and beyond the game itself, especially when it comes to a certain Itagaki game I will never stop defending. I only wish my microphone wasn't loving up on my end during the post game wrap up discussion, so sorry if some of my commentary started to sound a bit glitchy. This is a bizarre, fun game, yet for all my love it still doesn't take the concept of the melee shooter hybrid as far as it could in terms of a complete, quality package. But maybe someday someone else will finally realize it. Or Soleil will be given another miracle and get to do this again.

That said, look forward to the bonus video for this LP where I have recorded a New Game Plus run of Japanese Hard difficulty. Emphasis on bonus because as far as the main attraction goes, this is the finale. Regardless, thank you for watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I learned recently that P.O.D. is still making music and touring, and have been doing so for like 30 odd years.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Thanks for the lp. I think you did the game justice and showed how it can be a pretty fun experience despite all the jank.

Edit:

110 Industries posted this on their official Wanted Dead discord

https://www.pcgamesn.com/wanted-dead/interview-overshadowed

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 12, 2024

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!

Bonus: Japanese Hard NG+ (Patch 1.12, No Commentary)

Behold, the full Japanese Hard NG+ playthrough I alluded to from the start of the LP. Considering that only the first stage is handled very differently from how it was shown in the Let's Play there was no point getting me and Kaboom to talk over this run. Compared to that, this is me playing at full power, despite there still being some sloppy sections that had me just scraping by. As u know im pro.

As the title shows, this playthrough was recorded on the most recent patch, version 1.12. The patch that made changes to the first Ninja encounter as well as a bunch of other stability fixes. It doesn't look that much more polished than how it was on the previous version, but the amount of jank this game had to begin with was always lower than people gave this game poo poo for. All the cutscenes have been spliced out of the video, save for door opening transitions and the Doc revive scenes, the latter I could skip through in game in a split second to begin with.

I won't reiterate key concepts about the gameplay as the LP already covered that, but some important notes I decided to highlight for this video.
  • This being Japanese Hard difficulty, the most obvious change from lower difficulties is the lack of recoverable gray health on attacks and finishers. You take damage, there's no getting it back without a stim pack. Playing through this on a fresh save is still doable if you know how to beat the game on Normal, but you'll need to take things a bit safer for the first half of the run.
  • Even with the changes made to the first Ninja encounter, I still chumped that rear end in a top hat in a way that would've worked all the same on release. Use Adrenaline to stun, throw fire grenade behind, do a dashing strike to push ninja into flames, ping pong back and forth until dead. I cannot emphasize enough how those grenades are one of the best tools this game offers.
  • Because I have all the skills unlocked going into NG+, the incentive to keep earning skill points is no longer there so I didn't mind taking the opportunity to go for gun kills in situations where it would've been more economical to set up a melee finish. I even demonstrate the new manual cover system added in the 1.12 update. Slow mo makes it more doable as you can tell when everything is frantic and enemies are moving in close range.
  • Speaking of guns, I did play this run without the Aim Assist as its frankly too powerful to the point of locking your aim in a direction you don't always want it to go. Unfortunately, this means you have to deal with the downside of it being off, and that is overshooting your aim because I'm using an analog stick instead of a mouse. Maybe if 110 and Soleil understood that people have side buttons on their mice and want to map poo poo to that, I would have reason to go with KB&M for this.
  • I mentioned in the LP the various ways one can deal with Riot Shields. What I did not realize was the case until watching an advanced tips video of the game and trying it, is that the Charge Attack for your sword can absolutely delete those things. Specifically the second hit at the end of the attack. Said Charge Attack is also useful as a near guaranteed form of delimbing enemies without the use of a deflect/counter attack.
  • Going back to the lack of drive to earn skill points, the lack of a proper scoring system in the main game is still the biggest thing I wish this game could add (in addition to a regular stage select). It's difficult to really gauge what would count as most optimal play from a scoring standpoint, but based on notes I took at the start and end of the playthrough, I would base it on the amount of SP earned. My end result in that case was 57,400 points. With that in mind, I'm sure another player out there could take that as a reference and get a better score than me.
I'm satisfied with this run, and I hope it can certainly inspire people to look at Wanted: Dead as something that is also a legit, one of a kind action game. I have my reasons for preferring Devil's Third in terms of hybridizing shooter and melee combat, but this game is at least available on modern systems and runs better. Either watch this video now or save it for later since it is nearly 2 hours long, but it definitely is something you could learn from should anyone want to play Wanted: Dead, especially on its highest difficulty.