Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Dont buy more glass
Dont buy more glass
Dont buy more glass
Dont b- ooh only €6 for 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I really have to drive to that thrift store. No way I’m gonna find nice stuff like that here in the city. They usually only have very small jars.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Simultaneously I want to build a single big moss terrarium, but I only have the space for a small one...

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Sharing some pictures of sad terraria I found in a craft store

Handful of pincushion moss dunked into a jar with a coffee plant and a piece of bark, €60

Handful of unidentifiable brown moss mush and another coffee plant, €50

mrfart posted:

I really have to drive to that thrift store. No way I’m gonna find nice stuff like that here in the city. They usually only have very small jars.

I highly recommend it, its right next to the Antwerpsesteenweg so its easy to reach by car. I go every week or two and theres always some interesting glass containers, and if you need glass lid options you're gonna find em there in every shape or size.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Apr 28, 2024

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Craigslist came in clutch with springtails today. bought some from a young nerdy guy out of the local university. The pet store back in my hometown was asking $25 for an incredibly tiny culture, and the guy I met was asking $8 but I threw in a few extra bucks for some charcoal on the side and for his patience with me. He has a whole grow opp in his dorm room and when I get more confident/set up in this, gonna buy some rolly pollys/isopods from him.

Here's something me and Buglord Sr. worked on when I visited the family

Not totally wild about the moss on top of the log but Dad liked it so, thats what matters. This is his proof of concept. He bought some massive glass enclosure but I told him to hold off on populating this and let this one take off/die before he puts a lot more time and energy into the second one. There was also this real temptation to add more but I feel its a slippery slope to having a biologically/visually overcrowded terrarium.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Sr's definitely got the eye for depth

Those leafy plants will probably do well but i'm worried about the Tillandsia airplant to the left, if left on moist moss it's probably going to go brown and rot fairly quickly. Tillandsia do well in terrariums but they definitely cant be sitting on wet surfaces - if he has room he can directly superglue it to the bark (or some other piece of wood/rock/etc) with cyanoacrylate superglue. Be very sure about using specfically cyanoacrylate based superglue as that's plant/animal safe and can be used to directly glue plants.

Also YMMV but in my experience that specific type of moss will go brown quickly in jars and I havent really figured out why - I've tried using it in a couple jars now and even in the best of conditions where other moss types thrive it just ends up wilting. I've never been able to properly identify them but they're the common "sidewalk" mosses, I think:

Sheet or hypnum moss will grow like crazy if you drape it over some bark though!

buglord posted:

Craigslist came in clutch with springtails today. bought some from a young nerdy guy out of the local university. The pet store back in my hometown was asking $25 for an incredibly tiny culture, and the guy I met was asking $8 but I threw in a few extra bucks for some charcoal on the side and for his patience with me. He has a whole grow opp in his dorm room and when I get more confident/set up in this, gonna buy some rolly pollys/isopods from him.

A slice of potato and some more charcoal/hydropellets and you have your own springtail growing op too!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Can springtails "overpopulate" or do they just die down if they overbreed and there isn't enough dead plant to eat? Like would there be any reason to introduce a springtail predator of some sort to larger terrariums or would that just add another thing that can go wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Nah springtails self-regulate over time. That gif I posted earlier with the massive swarm of springtails, that same jar now has a fraction of the population since there's much less active mold to eat now. Springtails themselves don't eat any moss or plants either unless you have a truly excessive population (ie: "I cant see the plants thru my springtails") so it's not really ever going to cause an issue.

Isopods, though, is another story

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Apr 29, 2024