Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Flop or not Waterloo is still a great flick. We likely wont get 20k soviets but you dont really need that many dudes nowadays anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I've been meaning to check this show out sometimes.
How does it rate on a scale from Last Samurai to Blue Eye Samurai?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

cant cook creole bream posted:

I haven't seen either of those but I can confidently say it is 400 billion times better than both of them combined. This is not intended as an indictment of either of those pieces of media, Shogun's just really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really loving great!

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

I think it's on par with Blue Eye Samurai, but they are very different. Where they overlap though is in the artistic approach to the subject matter, and they are both magnificent in that respect. This show is 95% politics and people talking, as opposed to Blue Eye that was more balanced w/ action.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Jerusalem posted:

I haven't seen either of those but I can confidently say it is 400 billion times better than both of them combined. This is not intended as an indictment of either of those pieces of media, Shogun's just really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really loving great!

dunno, the japanese really liked the last samurai - much more than the original shogun. Hell it even has Toranaga's actor in it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Saganlives posted:

I think it's on par with Blue Eye Samurai, but they are very different. Where they overlap though is in the artistic approach to the subject matter, and they are both magnificent in that respect. This show is 95% politics and people talking, as opposed to Blue Eye that was more balanced w/ action.

Blue Eye Samurai is definitely a follow up show to watch for all the people who were miffed at the lack of major action scenes in Shogun.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

Blue Eye Samurai is definitely a follow up show to watch for all the people who were miffed at the lack of major action scenes in Shogun.

Yes, absolutely. :haibrow:

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Blue Eye Samurai is a fun show with cool setpieces but it isn’t nearly as narratively or thematically coherent as Shogun, and it plays in a lot of weird racial tropes that Shogun eschews. Its fictionalized version of Japan is also much more divorced from reality and is essentially total fantasy.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

rating wise its up there with blue eye samurai, but it's a mostly slow burn character drama amidst big political thriller as a japanese period piece. very good bursts of action but its not an action show. more game of thrones than either thing you said

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sio posted:

Blue Eye Samurai is a fun show with cool setpieces but it isn’t nearly as narratively or thematically coherent as Shogun, and it plays in a lot of weird racial tropes that Shogun eschews. Its fictionalized version of Japan is also much more divorced from reality and is essentially total fantasy.

I'd argue the inverse. Blue Eye Samurai is laser-focused on the kind of show it wants to be and the story and themes it wants to convey. Shogun, by contrast is rather labyrinthine if you're not paying complete attention to it at all times. BES is a simple story told extremely well while Shogun is a complex story told extremely well. You're spot on about the other points though. BES uses the broad strokes of the Tokugawa Shogunate and the Sakoku edict as the basis on which to build a world suited to the story it wants to tell rather than Shogun taking liberties with things that actually historically happened.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
the only thing i know about blue eye samurai is that it has a japanese cover of for whom the bell tolls in it

and i cant conceive of how that show and shogun could be called similar other than 'in japan'

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

you see, there are samurai and there are a couple white people

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

you see, there are samurai and there are a couple white people

They're also set within a lifetime's length of one another, historically. So it's two different compare and contrast takes on the same stretch of history, one relatively accurate, the other hilariously not.

Also both shows are just really loving good too.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

rating wise its up there with blue eye samurai, but it's a mostly slow burn character drama amidst big political thriller as a japanese period piece. very good bursts of action but its not an action show. more game of thrones than either thing you said

Game of Thrones is the obvious comparison for this show and not totally off-base, but Shogun is definitely less violent or horny than GoT was. The intense dialogue remains though, and is as good as anything GoT did IMO.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
If you can understand Japanese or manage to find something with subs, NHK's Taiga dramas are always good. They did one on Tokugawa just last year I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Seems like the people in the Shogun Thread like the show Shogun.
I guess I'll watch the first episode then.