Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I think it was probably Betty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s definitely implied to be Betty since she does the Vault reassignment right after the prisoners die

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And then she pins it on the desk lady.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Betty's a bad egg, I think.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

I took it as probably being Steph (eye patch lady). She's the only one other than Norm who expresses any inclination towards killing them.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's that, but it's also a direct plot line through Betty telling Norm that he has to be careful because of how impressionable all the Vault dwellers are. Foreshadowing of the twist and all that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

At the time I thought it was Norm or Steph. But the more I think about it, I think it must be Betty. Wrapping up loose ends before sending people off to their new Vault. A true restart, like a good middle manager would do. And she would be the most likely to blame it on the desk lady, which I originally took as an unfortunate happenstance based on her job.

Yeah, Betty murdered them. The earlier conversation between Norm and Steph was just a red herring.

edit: Also, I only just realized that the actress who played Betty played Blind Al in the Deadpool movies. I feel stupid.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 26, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think they try to imply that Norm might have done it, but he had no reason to in the long run. Betty had every reason to. Those raiders knew what happened in Vault 32. Betty couldn't risk one of them letting it slip that they didn't really kill the people there, they killed themselves.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

zoux posted:

My initial impression was that Norm poisoned the prisoners but now I'm not so sure. Do you think that's meant to be ambiguous or am I overthinking?

its clear that the Vault 31 folks did that.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

zoux posted:

She also did Jinx in Arcane and was very very good, and that's a high difficulty role to pull off without straying into obnoxiousness

Yeah, but Sweetpea is almost entirely done in 1st person and brain narration. Plus the main character is a serial killer and she's not the charming kind. She's kind of just a lovely person, even without the killing.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think part of the fun of the show was trying to guess the vault gimmicks before they were outright stated, added a fun layer of mystery that would of made the show worse without it.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

The Vault 32 crop failure, because Vault 31 was aware of it, but was it just a thing that happened and they stopped paying attention because they went berserk? Or was the crop failure part of the test of Vault 32, they have a bad water chip that every two years before an election it starts spraying salt on the crops.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I don't think there was anything sinister about Vault 32, that wouldn't make sense.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think Vault 32 likely had a setback, the crops having problems, and that somehow lead to someone finding out what Vault 31 was, which caused everyone to go berserk and start killing. Out of everything in the show, I think the Vault 32 situation is the worst handled. Mostly because it has a lot of holes in it once you learn everything. You'd think the overseer of 32 would have contacted either Bud or Hank about what was happening. You'd think someone from 32 would have tried to break into 31 or 33. And then you'd think Hank would be wondering why the overseer of 32 wasn't another person from 31.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The residents of Vault 32 knew that 31 was the source of the problem; they didn't know if the residents of 33 were similarly naive or how they would side if told the truth. So it makes more sense to try and break into 31 to deal with Management first. The overseer of 32 is shown to have died at their desk, and also their computer is busted. It's not clear how much Management monitors each Vault in real time surveillance, since they seem to be reliant on whoever the appointed overseer is in each one for up to date information. So in all likelihood the Vault 32 overseer was trying to send up an SOS to Management but somebody got to them first, or they got the message off and that leads to Bud triggering the mass psychosis/murder-suicide gas in 32 to wipe out the revolt. We find out in the season finale that all of the overseers in 31 are part of "Bud's Buds" but that doesn't necessarily mean that they all know each other or the entire list of who was kept on ice. The weakest link here IMO is Hank not recognizing Moldaver given what the backstory on what happened in Shady Springs but it's not impossible for them to just have never crossed paths or for Hank to assume she died in nuclear strike.

So much of it is left ambiguous to allow for the audience to theorize about what happened as much as to help the writers avoid being boxed in for future seasons. TBH it comes down to how much you want to see the gaps as flaws vs deliberate narrative choices.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The last time Hank saw Moldaver in person was 15 years before the series starts. Long enough ago for Lucy and Norm to forget about having actually been on the surface, and for her face to start to fade from Hank's active memory.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
I barely remember he faces of office randoms from 2 years back if they visibly aged. 15 years and a chunk of rads would not help.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
I'm really loving good with faces (case in point; two days ago I ran into my siblings best friend from childhood who I last saw maybe a decade ago, from behind but their ears tipped me off) however I know I'm an aberration and to compensate I am awful with names.

But while I recognise faces (or ears), I'll often have no loving clue how I know them - Had I been Hank in that moment and they'd seemed familiar I would automatically assume they where one of buds buds, not some "communist agitator" who'd not have made it into a Vault-Tec bunker.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Apr 27, 2024

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Threadkiller Dog posted:

I barely remember he faces of office randoms from 2 years back if they visibly aged. 15 years and a chunk of rads would not help.

This is like how in a recent Star Trek thread someone said how they’re okay with 23rd century Starfleet officers saying stuff like “Amazeballs!!!! I loving love science!!!” because they were casual at their municipal government office job.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
how are those things remotely the same?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
“I don’t recognize new hires’ faces until they’ve done their 6 month probationary period so I totally understand how Hank would not recognize the face of a woman who played a large part in him massacring a whole city”

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

For you, the day I nuked your city was the most important day of your life. For Hank it was Tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Dr.Radical posted:

“I don’t recognize new hires’ faces until they’ve done their 6 month probationary period so I totally understand how Hank would not recognize the face of a woman who played a large part in him massacring a whole city”

Hey, when you nuke a city to get rid of someone, you probably don't really expect to see them again.

You see what hank's problem was, didn't use enough nukes. :colbert: