Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Pak
Jan 26, 2004

I'm from the phone company...
Directed by: Russell Mulcahy
Starring: Christopher Lamber, Sean Connery, Clancy Brown

This is a review for Highlander the original movie (1986)

This in my mind was the best movie and far exceeded the subpar TV series. The movie is about a set group of people that are all born immortal. Highlander is the story of Conner Macleod who is one of those immortals. The movie starts with him in Scotland and how he finds out he is immortal to placing him in current day. It does this by a series of flashbacks that continue from the start to end, which were all done very well (except for 1). However as I mentioned there are other immortals and ultimatly all are trying to survive till the gathering which is where they will all fight, since only one of them can live.

The order of the flashbacks and when the flashbacks are shown make it all flow really well. Christopher Lambert played Conner very well, and you could see the emotional changes taking place in his character, especially the differences between the past and present. As everyone else that reviews this movie mentions, Sean Connery was in it for far too little time and it would have been nice to see more of his training Conner and maybe more bonding. Another actor we get to see who isn't in too many other movies is Clancy Brown who plays the main bad guy, who is also one of the immortals. He plays a complete psychopath that just wreaks havoc in the present day. Lastly the end battle is absolutely breath taking and the camera work was so well done (you have to see it, I really can not describe it)

RATING: 4

PROS: Fantastic sword fighting, flashback scenes were very well done, Sean Connery = badass, Clancy Brown is the most awesome psychopath
CONS: The second flashback with the battle in Scotland was pathetic (looked incredibly fake, didn't see any action)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091203/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
drat, you beat me to reviewing this.

This movie is definitely a guilty pleasure for me. I'm a big fan of the fantasy genre in general, but this is a really cool twist of the old sword and sorcery flick. Lambert is just weird no matter what he's playing, he almost seems like some kind of alien that learned to speak English and act in movies. I agree Clancy Brown is awesome, he turns an underwritten part into a great character. Connery sticks out quite a bit though, he's an Egyptian with a Spanish name who lived in Japan and speaks with a Scotish accent? I think I got it. Another awesome thing about this movie, the music by Queen.

The camera work in this was pretty revolutionary at the time. Mulcahy was one of the first directors to come out of music videos, and he brought a lot of the slick and glossy style of MTV to this, which combined with the music gives it a somewhat dated look, but it's still pretty fun to watch. Too bad the sequels are all garbage.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This is the first and best installment of the Highlander series. The television show is perhaps one of the worst things ever filmed (or rather, recorded onto cheap beta tape). The successive movies are among the worst ever made (with Highlander 2 STILL reigning as worst movie I've ever seen). It all started here.

From the opening scene of sweaty wrestlers intercut with a bumpin Queen song this is a movie with an energy all it's own. Lambert is acting in his normal autistic struck by lightning fashion but it actually makes sense in the context of the film. He's immortal, he can't bond with people so he acts unnaturally around them.

I could go into more detail but I won't since I'm not one of those people who have an unnatural fascination with the franchise (e.g., everyone who likes the tv show). It's a classic of its era though, and while it hasn't aged well, it's still a pretty good movie.

When it came out 5
Now 4

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
I've been putting off watching this movie for a long time. I've been burned too many times watching old movies from my childhood that I remembered as good but in retrospect, were not. Then we also have to take into account the absolutely wretched sequels that ignored any continuity with the movies that came before them.

However, the new DVD transfer is exceptional, and gave the movie a visual quality that I had never seen (seeing it only on VHS previously). Yes, it's dated. Yes, there are some questionable plot points and special effects that aren't very special. But in the end, it's still an incredibly good and original movie.

There's a reason there's so many sequels and a television series.

4.5/5

Captain Corny
Dec 16, 2000

Great movie for the action-movie lover, a solid 5 for this one. The sequels sucked though.