Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Someone has WAY too much time on their hands. But I would buy a PS2 and mod it to play this game.

Heh. Do they actually use Shostakovich in the series? (My high-school marching band did that piece my first year, and it is imprinted on my DNA.)

Gale Wolf, NOOOOOOO!!! (oooh, nice save Reuental!)

Yang Wenli's attack is AWESOME! (Well, of course--Yang Wenli is awesome!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Hokuto posted:

A friend of mine sent me this fan-made movie, and I found it pretty hilarious.

Super Legend of the Galactic Heroes Wars

This is fantastic. Kircheis totally hosed that upstart Julian up and Yan took care of business. Given theat I don't recognize some of those ships and attacks I am looking forward to seeing them in the show. Farenheit's onboard Thore-Hammer seems rather awesome.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Robot Bastard posted:

Heh. Do they actually use Shostakovich in the series? (My high-school marching band did that piece my first year, and it is imprinted on my DNA.)

I don't know, but if you're interested, there are comprehensive lists of every piece of classical music used in seasons 1 and 2 here and here.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Hokuto posted:

I don't know, but if you're interested, there are comprehensive lists of every piece of classical music used in seasons 1 and 2 here and here.
Thanks!

Huh. And there's no Shostakovich on that list...(no Holst either, which is surprising, I'd think "Mars", "Jupiter", or "Mercury" would fit very well into LoGH...maybe I could make a music video?)

Halverine
May 26, 2004

Endsay ookhay
Shokun! Episode 60 from CA is here:

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Yan-teitoku, HASSHIN!

Hey, quick question. I see that for 33-36, the batch torrent doesn't create its own subdirectory. Is that true for all the rest of the torrents?

Robot Bastard fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 10, 2006

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Cute, a "Maison Ikkoku" reference. Or do all Japanese housewives have aprons like that?

Oh, and

Yowza.

Robot Bastard fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 11, 2006

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!
Episode 60 eh? Oh dear.

This thread is about to E-X-P-L-O-D-E.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Daryl Surat posted:

Episode 60 eh? Oh dear.

So that ending was more than just a metaphor?

PS I like how the Chrysler corporation is still making cars in the 35th Century, or whenever it is that this is supposed to be happening.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Robot Bastard posted:

Cute, a "Maison Ikkoku" reference. Or do all Japanese housewives have aprons like that?

I don't think that was an allusion to Maison Ikkoku so much as the ideal Japanese wife fantasy. It was freaking me out the whole time watching. Greenhill continually whining about cooking pissed me off somewhat.

I greatly enjoyed the history lesson of the Goldenbaum Dynasty. Those who know Chinese history will recognize that it followed somewhat the experiences of the Qing what with the success of early emperors, the mixed results of austerity, and power-grab of a court bureaucrat during the reign of an old man. In regard to "the girl" with whom Julian will one day have hot sex are we thinking Kircheis' sister? I don't remember if he and Julian actually met, but I can think of no one else who make sense.

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

Man of Wax posted:

I don't think that was an allusion to Maison Ikkoku so much as the ideal Japanese wife fantasy. It was freaking me out the whole time watching. Greenhill continually whining about cooking pissed me off somewhat.

In all honesty, I'm not sure Mr. Yang's cooking skills will keep both of them well fed, it seemed to me it was a lot more along the lines "I have to learn to cook or WE'LL STARVE because my husband is useless". Remember he had his pension reduced so they won't be able to afford takeaway. Still yeah, the Japanese housewife stereotype is annoying, makes you wonder how long the Japanese are going to go on living like it's the 1950's.

Man of Wax posted:

In regard to "the girl" with whom Julian will one day have hot sex are we thinking Kircheis' sister? I don't remember if he and Julian actually met, but I can think of no one else who make sense.

I'm not sure thatSchenkoppever had sex with Kircheis, Man of Wax.

The Therminador fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jan 11, 2006

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Uberfrog posted:

I'm not sure thatSchenkoppever had sex with Kircheis, Man of Wax.

I don't get this. Sister != daughter. The amount of information to keep track of is too great. So, you are saying she's Schenkopp's daughter? Did they say that? I don't remember since she just kind of appeared and disappeared after five minutes or so

Man of Wax fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 11, 2006

Carbon Rod
Jul 23, 2003

Man of Wax posted:

I don't get this. Sister != daughter. The amount of information to keep track of is too great. So, you are saying she's Schenkopp's daughter? Did they say that? I don't remember since she just kind of appeared and disappeared after five minutes or so

Schenkopp said it himself in ep 60 when he was in the car with Dusty just about to run from the fuzz, named her and all.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Yes, my earlier speculation about Julian's GUUURLFRIEND was totally wrong, as it turns out. The red hair wasn't as much of a clue as I had thought.

Also, as for Piyo-Piyo, remember that this is a mid-eighties anime. I'm sure that a more modern series would have had Yang shacking up with the entire bridge crew of the Hyperion, and they'd all be hot chicks.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Actually, LoGH began in '88 and ended in '97. Season three, which we are on, was '94-'95. I guess the books were written earlier though and, even if they weren't, a lot of today's Japanese would still identify with that fantasy.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Man of Wax posted:

Actually, LoGH began in '88 and ended in '97. Season three, which we are on, was '94-'95. I guess the books were written earlier though and, even if they weren't, a lot of today's Japanese would still identify with that fantasy.
Dammit, I'm making a funny joke about harem anime! Just say "ha ha" and move on!

Num Lock
Apr 2, 2003
Just watched 60, and from the episode and the sad seeming ending I half though this episode was going to end in Yang getting gunned down after an ill-thought out attempt by his wife to free him. That’s how I would have done it anyway; this series doesn't have enough tragedy in my opinion.

So what does "Piyo-Piyo" mean anyway?

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Num Lock posted:

That’s how I would have done it anyway; this series doesn't have enough tragedy in my opinion.
From what other people have been saying, it sounds as though we're about to get as much as you'd like.

quote:

In "Maison Ikkoku" (a comedy/romance by the creator of "Ranma 1/2") the female lead is perpetually wearing an apron with a baby chick and "PIYO PIYO" embroidered on it. Jessica is wearing a similar apron in episode 60.

edit: Here's something I was wondering...did the Imperials order that the Alliance fleet discharge all the women in service? I notice that the Imperial fleet is all guys (although it's not as though the Alliance fleet is full of women, either.)

Num Lock
Apr 2, 2003

Robot Bastard posted:

edit: Here's something I was wondering...did the Imperials order that the Alliance fleet discharge all the women in service? I notice that the Imperial fleet is all guys (although it's not as though the Alliance fleet is full of women, either.)

Well sofar all we have seen of the Alliance fleet post surrender is a handfull of guys, hardly a repersentive sample. But I wouldn't put it past the Imperials to do something like that.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

:cry:

Why don't they make anime like this anymore? This is fantastic.

No goddamn :3 faces, cat ears, chibi sequences, in-jokes with the audience, emo "heroes"...

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

CuLT posted:

:cry:

Why don't they make anime like this anymore? This is fantastic.

No goddamn :3 faces, cat ears, chibi sequences, in-jokes with the audience, emo "heroes"...

Don't forget characters whose faces and hair are drawn with more than 5 strokes' worth of lines.

pyo
Nov 18, 2003

... !
drat right. I now have got two persons quite addicted to this and need all episodes up to date. :)

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

http://a.scarywater.net/ca/logh eps 61 - Central Anime (f138e778) .avi.torrent

It seems that in the distant future, centuries from now, Wagner operas will still be popular :q:

EDIT : vvv that's because I'm an idiot. fixed now

The Therminador fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 17, 2006

Num Lock
Apr 2, 2003

Uberfrog posted:

http://a.scarywater.net/ca/Legend of Galactic Heroes Episode 61 - Central Anime.avi.torrent

It seems that in the distant future, centuries from now, Wagner operas will still be popular :q:

At least it an't gritty future Punk/Rave were everybody ether looks like they are about to fight the predator, or fell into a vat of hair dye, random computer parts, glitter and glue.

Edit: Only three more hours to go!!

Num Lock fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 18, 2006

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

Num Lock posted:

It's the sound that baby chicks make. I guess the English equivalent would be "cheep-cheep."

Num Lock posted:

Link appears to be broken

Use this one.

Daryl Surat posted:

Episode 61. Oh dear.

I AIN'T KIDDING FOLKS

Specineff
Mar 10, 2005

Fun Shoe

Daryl Surat posted:

I AIN'T KIDDING FOLKS

Well, the action is certainly starting to pick up! [ep 61]Does anyone else think that Shenkopp's little speach about preserving individual human rights is a tad hypocritical, considering he's killed about a dozen people in the past 24 hours? I realize that his threats are bluffs, but it really seems that the only rights he cares about are Yang's. Not that that would be out of character, it just bothered me a little bit.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Oh Schenkopp, you and your zany antics!

PS did they switch animation teams? Next episode looks different. I don't recall Yang having such a long nose...

Num Lock
Apr 2, 2003

Specineff posted:

Well, the action is certainly starting to pick up! [ep 61]Does anyone else think that Shenkopp's little speach about preserving individual human rights is a tad hypocritical, considering he's killed about a dozen people in the past 24 hours? I realize that his threats are bluffs, but it really seems that the only rights he cares about are Yang's. Not that that would be out of character, it just bothered me a little bit.

I don't see anything hypocritical about killing people and preaching about individual rights. If you were talking about non-violent resistance then yeah. Should we even be spoilering this since its an episode that was released?

Edit: That was an awsome episode, and the next looks to be even better

Num Lock fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 18, 2006

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

Specineff posted:

Schenkopp may be Yang's buddy, but his actions are not so unselfish either, he also cares about his own rights. He knows that as the leader of the Rosenritter, his head along with the ones of his outfit would be the first to be offed if there's any trouble with the Empire, as had been said in the episode.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Uberfrog posted:

Schenkopp knows that as the leader of the Rosenritter, his head along with the ones of his outfit would be the first to be offed if there's any trouble with the Empire, as had been said in the episode.
Really, I'm surprised that they haven't just done it already, although I guess the politics are complicated (after all, the Rosenritter fled the Goldenbaum Dynasty, and the current Empire regime sprang up in opposition to that. From a certain point of view, Lohengramm and the Rosenritter are on the same side...

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

Also, the Empire and the collaborationist Alliance have mutual interest in keeping the new Alliance government sovereign and recognised. As such, as has been said by the characters in the show, it can't just go and kill the people it doesn't like (like Yang, or the Rosenritters) or it will lose any legitimacy. Which is not a good thing if that leads to more suffering of the general population, which has already suffered enough from the war.
The Rosenritter are like Yang, the Lohengramm regime doesn't really care about them as long as they don't cause any trouble, it's really just the collaborationists who are worried about not looking good and thus having their authority reduced by the Empire (which they justify as being unbeneficial to the nation).

Specineff
Mar 10, 2005

Fun Shoe

Uberfrog posted:

Schenkopp may be Yang's buddy, but his actions are not so unselfish either, he also cares about his own rights. He knows that as the leader of the Rosenritter, his head along with the ones of his outfit would be the first to be offed if there's any trouble with the Empire, as had been said in the episode.

That's a good point, I forgot about when they said that.

I guess I didn't need to spoiler my post, but I didn't want to catch any flak. :shobon:

Halverine
May 26, 2004

Endsay ookhay
Hey guys, back on to the subject of the music in this show, I had this shipped to me the other day and I sort of thought you might enjoy:
[url='http://www.point-blank.cc:16384/allowed/torrent.php/[Lone] Legend of the Galactic Heroes Best Theme Collection.rar.torrent']LoGH Best Theme Collection[/url]

edit: Updated to reflect new group name and added scans.

Halverine fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 20, 2006

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Thank you for this, it's much appreciated. :love:

Specineff
Mar 10, 2005

Fun Shoe
I guess it's my turn to deliver the good news.

http://a.scarywater.net/ca/logh eps 62 - Central Anime (f4c2ff36) .avi.torrent

edit: where is everybody :(

Specineff fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 26, 2006

froobly
Sep 12, 2003

These are my awards, Mother. From Army. The seal is for marksmanship, and the gorilla is for sand racing!
Probably just watching the episode.

Boy, they weren't kidding when they said "cascades of blood."

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

Specineff posted:

I guess it's my turn to deliver the good news.

http://a.scarywater.net/ca/logh eps 62 - Central Anime (f4c2ff36) .avi.torrent

edit: where is everybody :(

They've all died or possibly been sucked into the singularity generated by the birth of a new universe since the thread has now officially E-X-P-L-O-D-E...d as of this point in the show. Or maybe they'll wait until the end credits of the NEXT episode. Context shift alert!

Man, LoGH is really one of those shows I'd like to rewatch every few years, but it's so hard to bring myself to do it on my own. The only way I can ever try and manage it is to find some people I personally know and show them the series, but those who aren't bored by it immediately often give up partway around Season 2 on the grounds that "ALL the cool people are in the Empire and the Alliance has like, NOBODY except for like Yang and a few of his friends." It's not like you can tell them they're wrong about that.

EDIT: Hmm. Upon further checking, no threads will E-X-P-L-O-D-E for quite some time yet.

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 28, 2006

Num Lock
Apr 2, 2003
Attenborough's pirate cosutme was awsome and he should wear that as his offical uniform from now on.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Daryl Surat posted:

"ALL the cool people are in the Empire and the Alliance has like, NOBODY except for like Yang and a few of his friends."
Well, anyone who saw that "Super LOGH Wars" video now knows that there is at least one cool guy that the Alliance has yet to show us...and he must be really cool, because he gets his own action portrait a la Reinhardt and Seigfried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Robot Bastard posted:

Well, anyone who saw that "Super LOGH Wars" video now knows that there is at least one cool guy that the Alliance has yet to show us...and he must be really cool, because he gets his own action portrait a la Reinhardt and Seigfried.

That's Bruce Ashbey. You won't see any mention of him until you watch the LOGH Gaiden OVA series, which is almost as good as the TV series, and has a lot of really interesting background stories. :)