Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halverine
May 26, 2004

Endsay ookhay
After a longer wait than usual:

Episode 63

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

Pardon the pun, but that episode rocked. No seriously, imperial armored troops versus crazy cultists, now there's a fight.

:toot:

The Therminador fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Feb 8, 2006

Num Lock
Apr 2, 2003
Ok that was a cool episode, and why the hell is this thread so slow. I bet its the lack of Giant Robots...

Halverine
May 26, 2004

Endsay ookhay

Num Lock posted:

Ok that was a cool episode, and why the hell is this thread so slow. I bet its the lack of Giant Robots...

Some of our number burnt out on the HK subs and can not wait for us to catch up so they are discussing the show elsewhere :(

Not me, of course.

Specineff
Mar 10, 2005

Fun Shoe
I am willing to discuss Julian's crazy flying kick to that cultist's face! Where do you learn to do stuff like that?

I'm watching through the series as CA releases episodes with a friend, and when that happened we both couldn't help but laugh. The angle of the camera (low shot) makes it look like Julian gets mad air and speed somehow, which, considering his normally demure disposition, came as a shock.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Specineff posted:

I am willing to discuss Julian's crazy flying kick to that cultist's face! Where do you learn to do stuff like that?

I'm watching through the series as CA releases episodes with a friend, and when that happened we both couldn't help but laugh. The angle of the camera (low shot) makes it look like Julian gets mad air and speed somehow, which, considering his normally demure disposition, came as a shock.

Julian is super-boy or something. He's really smart, a natural pilot and gunslinger, handsome, and, apparently, a very capable fighter. I wouldn't be surprised if he has his own command by age 18 and single-handedly destroys an entire imperial fleet.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Just once I'd like to see Yang Wenli do something like this:

Num Lock
Apr 2, 2003

Man of Wax posted:

Julian is super-boy or something. He's really smart, a natural pilot and gunslinger, handsome, and, apparently, a very capable fighter. I wouldn't be surprised if he has his own command by age 18 and single-handedly destroys an entire imperial fleet.

This is why I can't belive that they are not going to kill off Yang or otherwise remove him from the series so that Julian can take over as the main character.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Or kill off Julian so that Yang can turn into this:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Somebody should really update the Wikipedia article on LOGH, the descriptions of the contents of the side stories are messed up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_of_the_Galactic_Heroes

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

Gentlemen, I bring you... MORE CORN !
Episode 64 : http://a.scarywater.net/ca/logh eps 64 - Central Anime (fda3d1ee) .avi.torrent

froobly
Sep 12, 2003

These are my awards, Mother. From Army. The seal is for marksmanship, and the gorilla is for sand racing!
I like where things are going.

Now what's this with El Facile? I mean, that came out of loving nowhere. Isn't that where Yang and Lohengramm had their big showdown in the pre-series OAVs? As in, "The Hero of El Facile?" I have to watch those OAVs again, and see if I can figure out why El Facile in particular might rebel.

I also like how Lohengramm's not taking Severus', I mean, Oberstein's poo poo so lightly anymore.

Anyway, I'm glad this show still manages to give me a reason to watch it after all the initial conflicts have paid off. It's not Dragon Ball, where the story ends and the writer pulls another one out of his rear end, and it's not Monster, where the writer doesn't resolve anything until the very end, and then hastily at that.

Num Lock
Apr 2, 2003
El Facile was an alliance planet that was conquered by the Imperials back when Yang was a Lieutenant or something. The Alliance evidently felt that the planet wasn't worth defending so the Alliance military was withdrawing from the planet. Yang is the "Hero of El Facile" because he helped thousands of citizens evacuate before the Imperials showed up.

Given that history it's little wonder that the planet would declare it's independence from both the Alliance and the Empire. They probably chose now of all times because they expect Yang to come help them out.

PuppyD
Apr 2, 2003

On your base path, stealing your bases
I heard of this series before, but after reading this thread I picked it up. It is one of my favorite series to date, and they better sub all 110 episodes. Even people that normally don't like anime, would love this show. Great stuff.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Episode the 65th
Due to extreme busyness I am now slightly behind on LoGH. With any luck I shall have a three episode mini-marathon this weekend.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
http://www.hlj.com/hljlist2/?Scale=0&MacroType=MulMed&SeriTxt1=heldensagen&Dis=-2&GenreCode=All

Most of them are discontinued, though... :sigh:

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
Those are kind of cool but what I really want is H-manga. I have a feeling that it will all be predominantly gay though.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Nichol posted:

Those are kind of cool but what I really want is H-manga.
Um...why? I mean...I understand why you would want H-manga, I mean who doesn't, but why a LoGH doujinshi?

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Robot Bastard posted:

Um...why? I mean...I understand why you would want H-manga, I mean who doesn't, but why a LoGH doujinshi?
Fraulein in uniform==HAWT.

They're all thinking what I'm thinking:
(Except the guy with red hair, clearly he's created soley for yaoi projects.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nichol fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 25, 2006

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Robot Bastard posted:

http://www.hlj.com/hljlist2/?Scale=0&MacroType=MulMed&SeriTxt1=heldensagen&Dis=-2&GenreCode=All

Most of them are discontinued, though... :sigh:

I don't know. Those look pretty underwhelming. The detail on LoGH ships tends to be pretty low so this is all about adding your own personal touch.

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

Ep 66 is out at last.
http://a.scarywater.net/ca/logh eps 66 - Central Anime (c67fcca3) .avi.torrent

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

It seems the proverbial poo poo is about to hit the fan. A new confrontation will soon be upon us. I know it's a long way off, what with the the movies and additional 52 episode series and dozens of remaining episodes, but I was just thinking of how it would feel to no longer have more LoGH at some point. Glorious for a moment, perhaps, and utterly devastaingly depressing as well. I am convinced that this is not only the best cartoon ever produced, it is the best TV show (technically it's an OVA, but it was broadcast several times) I've ever seen and, very possibly, the finest piece of science fiction in any medium. This may sound hyperbolic, but for now I am convinced that it is the case. It doesn't carry the philosophical weight of the great SF novels of decades past, but is still intellectually valid and so hugely entertaining, mature, and emotionally satisfying that it deserves top recognition.

I am trying to get a friend of mine to watch LoGH, but it's hard since the show is so long. A lot of folks just don't want to make the committment. He likes SF so I try to convey the truly awesome quality of the series to him, but one can say very little that will convince a busy fellow to set aside time for 162 episdes plus movies.

Also, a technical question for those who have seen everything: I get the impression that the end of LoGH will be so monstrously epic that I will want it to be the last I ever see of the show. Can I watch the gaiden series before getting to the end of the main series? The movies, I know, are separate and can be watched at pretty much any time.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Uberfrog posted:

Ep 66 is out at last.
Hot. Looks like I'm just past the halfway point to this now (ep 35). The two fortress battle around 29-33 was incredible.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Man of Wax posted:

Can I watch the gaiden series before getting to the end of the main series?

Yes, you can. The Gaiden series is a set of prequels/side stories which give away nothing about the main plot. They exist in order to flesh out central characters and give more details for their backstory than the main series did.

The first half of the series focuses on Reinhard and Kircheis's early days as young officers' school graduates, and their subsequent rise through the ranks. Afterwards, you get to see more of Yang's experiences with El Facile, and a rather fascinating story about Yang doing historical research on a legendary genius Alliance commander who died years before Yang's time.

When I started watching them, I was afraid they wouldn't have the same feel as the main series. But then, the very first thing I heard upon starting up the first episode was the sound of a wineglass being thrown to the floor and shattering - I felt reassured after that. :D

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Question: There is apparently a "LoGH Technical File", and http://www.tvc-15.com/ apparently has something to do with publishing it. It was quite some time ago, but I was wondering if someone who can read Japanese could poke around and see if they could find the book.

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
Episode 67 now available:

http://a.scarywater.net/ca/logh eps 67 - Central Anime (39d8b805) .avi.torrent

pyo
Nov 18, 2003

... !
I am going to re-watch this from the beginning after I downloaded it again. New computer and spare time, hoy hoy!

Salaryman Yoshinoya
Mar 13, 2006
YOSHHAA! DIE WORKING BITCH!
I just started watching and I have to day this series is incredible. Probably one of the best sci-fi show I've seen in a long time.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Salaryman Yoshinoya posted:

I just started watching and I have to day this series is incredible. Probably one of the best sci-fi show I've seen in a long time.

YES
Hopefully you'll continue to feel that way, but in the unlikey event that you don't a Bush-style preemptive declaration of victory is in order: Mission Accomplished. Each new fan brings us one step closer to US DVDs.

Also, I showed the LoGH Wars movie to a friend who is into the show and he almost died of awesome on the spot. That really was quite the exceptional piece of work.

Out of curiosity, have LoGH role-playing games ever been made? Pen and paper, I mean. Or possibly a CCG? I am curious as to the extent of the merchandising associate with the franchise, beecause I get the sense that there is a fair amount out there, but all produced in rather limited quantity.

Salaryman Yoshinoya
Mar 13, 2006
YOSHHAA! DIE WORKING BITCH!

Man of Wax posted:

YES
Hopefully you'll continue to feel that way, but in the unlikey event that you don't a Bush-style preemptive declaration of victory is in order: Mission Accomplished. Each new fan brings us one step closer to US DVDs.

Indeed. I'm a huge political history nerd and love to read stuff like the power struggles and political intrigues of the influential and powerful people in history. I have yet to see another anime/cartoon or even sci-fi show that presented human nature, power and politics as deeply as LoGH.

Salaryman Yoshinoya fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 16, 2006

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
LoGH: The RPG would probably do best as a sourcebook for another game system. The characters aren't particularly superhuman. Indeed, you don't even necessarily need to give game stats at all! Just do a "Big Book Of LoGH" and let gamers work the details for themselves.

However, I think that the big issue would be the fleet combat. I've had some ideas in that direction, but I've never bothered to formalize them. Basically, the "character" is the commander of a division, and the division is filled out with no-name ships. The division moves and fires as a single unit. As a character gains experience, he can add more (and larger) ships to his division, and he also might get special abilities.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'd love to get into this as it's the last show on my Big List 'O Stuff To Watch but I'm leery about getting into another show full of unseeded torrents and no sources on hubs after I had to wait ten days to download a single early episode of GGG back in the day. Is there a site I can download all these from?

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Pierson posted:

I'd love to get into this as it's the last show on my Big List 'O Stuff To Watch but I'm leery about getting into another show full of unseeded torrents and no sources on hubs after I had to wait ten days to download a single early episode of GGG back in the day. Is there a site I can download all these from?
a.scarywater.net seems to be active for every CA fansubbed episode, and there's probably some active torrents of the HK stuff out there.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Pierson posted:

After few minutes, CA will automatically seed any torrent that has peers but no seeds.

pyo
Nov 18, 2003

... !
As I was re-watching this with my friends, I felt a strange annoyance against the "THAT man" speech they have all the time. I have only seen the first four episodes again, can someone remind me and say if that continues throughout the series?

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

Hildgrim posted:

As I was re-watching this with my friends, I felt a strange annoyance against the "THAT man" speech they have all the time. I have only seen the first four episodes again, can someone remind me and say if that continues throughout the series?

Up to episode fifty, no. I don't even remember it from the beginning. Really, the mystery tends to be how a person will react to something or whether a plan will work rather than "THAT man/thing/whatever" stuff.

Edit: I have a question as well. Do land fights ever get any better? Most of them exept for the Iserlorn Fortress capture just look really awkward. They also tend to suffer from the "Storm Trooper" complex of people shooting down straight halls and missing hand to hand attackers.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

sakesniper posted:

Edit: I have a question as well. Do land fights ever get any better? Most of them exept for the Iserlorn Fortress capture just look really awkward. They also tend to suffer from the "Storm Trooper" complex of people shooting down straight halls and missing hand to hand attackers.

I don't know, but since they've continued it this far in, I doubt it will improve all that much. They are pretty drat visceral though, which is cool.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
From the looks of things, the armor that the Panzergrenadiers (or the Rosenritter) wear is entirely bulletproof, so there wouldn't be much point in shooting at them. Also, everyone seems to throw Zephyr particles around all the time, so shooting would make everything blow up.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster

Man of Wax posted:

They are pretty drat visceral though, which is cool.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Then came the space battle in 51, which started slow with people catching fire and getting sucked out into space, then progressed into blinded men missing limbs colliding with eachother (one of whom fell onto exposed wiring and gets electrocuted), neatly segued into a guy holding his exposed guts and other organs in his hands while vomitting blood, and finally ended with a guy crawling on the floor since his legs are gone, leaving a trail of blood and intestines while crying for him mother.

Man, Star Trek never had any of that :wth:

Edit: Oh cool, a guy getting his face melted off and burning, impaled bodies everywhere. :wtc: was the change in management that resulted in this episode? I'm not complaining, though, it really complements the plot and isn't done just for the sake of it.

evilsake fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 19, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

I'm watching the Gaiden now and am suitably impressed. I've seen four episodes of A Hundred Billion Stars, A Hundred Billion Lights and it has been, as expected, highly enjoyable. Rheinhard and Kircheis' relationship is really disconcerting to me though. I didn't notice it before, but now that I've seen Rheinhard sulking for about forty episodes it's strange to see him being all friendly with someone again. That and, of course, there is always the possibility of something other than platonic with those two.

I'm looking forward to Sprial Labrynth more though since Yang Wenli is simply superior.