Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
treestump
Dec 20, 2004
what was David Coverdale to do?

Arkkon posted:

Now I have a great mobo and great RAM, but am hesitant to combine the two. My question is this: Am I completely screwed, or will the mobo, fancy as it is, throttle the speed of the RAM down and only use it at 667Mhz?

Most/all motherboards will do this automatically. You should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkkon
Jan 13, 2004
Yes. Yes I would.

treestump posted:

Most/all motherboards will do this automatically. You should be fine.

Thank you for making my evening.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
I'm trying to run a PS2/Gamecube on my LG L203WT LCD monitor. I need some means of getting the PS2 connected to the monitor (and I assume convert the image from one format to whatever the monitor runs on), but I haven't got a clue where to start.

For example; would this be what I'm looking for?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

WeaponBoy posted:

I'm trying to run a PS2/Gamecube on my LG L203WT LCD monitor. I need some means of getting the PS2 connected to the monitor (and I assume convert the image from one format to whatever the monitor runs on), but I haven't got a clue where to start.

For example; would this be what I'm looking for?

You might get better results with a PVR-150

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815116633

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Zorilla posted:

You might get better results with a PVR-150

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815116633

I've read that hardware-encoding video capture cards can cause some lag between input and output. Is there any truth to that, or is that just something that lower-end system encounters?

This is the same item you just linked, correct? I'm curious as NewEgg doesn't deliver to Canada.

Zellyn fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Nov 25, 2006

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

WeaponBoy posted:

I've read that hardware-encoding video capture cards can cause some lag between input and output. Is there any truth to that, or is that just something that lower-end system encounters?

This is the same item you just linked, correct? I'm curious as NewEgg doesn't deliver to Canada.

Yeah, that's the same one.

For lag, you may need some other owners' observations on that. Don't rule out that the box you linked may have lag as well.

I've only owned a cheap, crappy WinTV Go that I bought in 2001 and that had some lag, but I hear better things about the PVR-150.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
One more question: the way this card works is that it plugs into a port in the motherboard, in addition to my already existing video card. I then plug my console of choice into the video capture card, and this gets rendered in a window on my desktop, or something along those lines?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

WeaponBoy posted:

One more question: the way this card works is that it plugs into a port in the motherboard, in addition to my already existing video card. I then plug my console of choice into the video capture card, and this gets rendered in a window on my desktop, or something along those lines?

Right, by either using the included software or something like DScaler which has great support for Happauge chipsets. You're using an LCD monitor, so I already assume you're running at 60Hz, right? The picture will be smoothest this way.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
I just built a new computer with a widescreen HDTV monitor, and I'm having trouble getting games to work at my resolutions. The graphics card is a PNY GeForce 7900 GS and the TV is a Philips 23PF9945 LCD monitor. It seems to only support bizarre resolutions like 1088x612, 1128x632, 1192x668, 1216x684, 1232x692, 1240x700, and 1280x720. It's making gaming difficult, because I can't find games that support those resolutions. How can I trick games into thinking they're running at a normal resolution?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Cyrai posted:

I just built a new computer with a widescreen HDTV monitor, and I'm having trouble getting games to work at my resolutions. The graphics card is a PNY GeForce 7900 GS and the TV is a Philips 23PF9945 LCD monitor. It seems to only support bizarre resolutions like 1088x612, 1128x632, 1192x668, 1216x684, 1232x692, 1240x700, and 1280x720. It's making gaming difficult, because I can't find games that support those resolutions. How can I trick games into thinking they're running at a normal resolution?
That TV seems to have native resolution of 1280x768. Have you tried running 1024x768? It could be the most easiest solution if your TV doesn't stretch it. 1280x720 could also be good solution. Check from Widescreengamingforum if there is some hack to make your games work. How do you connect the TV to your computer?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

WeaponBoy posted:

That seems to be the common opinion and the computer's performance shouldn't affect it since it is caused internally in the card. I think the PVR-150 is one of the few cards where you can disable the hardware encoding and prevent the lag, but you are probably better off buying a card without hardware encoder. I don't actually see any benefit in buying a card with hardware encoder unless you plan to use it as PVR, for games and TV watching basic card is better. You can do the PVR even with basic card, just with more CPU use. I used to capture TV with a P3-500 without problem.

That SIIG box is decent option because you don't have to deal with OS, software and driver problems. I've used a Hauppauge for about 7 years now and I've had my share of those problems. Thankfully Dscaler has made things quite a bit better.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Hey, figured I'd try this thread first for help with a video card meltdown.

The fan died on my GeForce 8600. I figured it out when I started seeing artifacts while playing WoW. (Little dots and lines around the cursor and eventually freezing the video even though the keys still worked in the game the picture stayed static.)

Now I have a strong fan blowing directly into the case and the GPU core reads low temp but the artifacts still come after a bit. I'm thinking my card's fried.

I got the PC from Dell 1.5 yrs ago. I called them and the guy said my one year warranty's up. But I read somewhere that NVidia's cards have lifetime guarantees, and I was wondering if anyone knew what the best way would be for me to get a (free) replacement. Thanks!

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
Most likely the card's OEM, so you're still dealing with Dell there. As far as I know, the warranties are handled by the card manufacturers, not the chipset manufacturers.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
I have a question about fans...

First off, i have a stock 120mm jet plane engine in the back of my cooler master case. The case itself, has a 90mm in front of the hd bay, and im using the stock amd cooler. I was just wondering, would i honestly lose anything if i installed a 90mm fan instead?

Here is my Setup
(only things that really need airflow):
abit kn8 mobo
gig of value ram
Athlon 64 3700+
geforce 6600
250 gig sata hd

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

bo_chrud posted:

First off, i have a stock 120mm jet plane engine in the back of my cooler master case. The case itself, has a 90mm in front of the hd bay, and im using the stock amd cooler. I was just wondering, would i honestly lose anything if i installed a 90mm fan instead?

Replace it with a 120MM Yate Loon and you'll never hear it again.

utopian180
Oct 23, 2003
Dancing through Sunday
I have a laptop hard drive that isn't recognized in the bios of my desktop when it was not to long ago; I can't hook it up either via my IDE-USB connector, nor via my IDE-Laptop IDE converter, though I used to be able to. I tried sticking it in the freezer for awhile.

Are there any tricks left that don't rhyme with bumpers?

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Can i unplug the north bridge fan on my motherboard without frying it?

A little further explanation: the little north bridge fan on my MSI K8N NEO4..blah blah has started to make a horrible noise, so loud infact that i can hear it with music blasting over my headphones, and its inside my "silent" (my arse) Antec P180. I've tried everything i can to stop the noise by cleaning it, stopping it with my fingers for a few secs. etc but i guess the bearing is just screwed. Cant find ANY replacement for it, but would it be OK to just go ahead and unplug the fan? Is it really necessary?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

utopian180 posted:

I have a laptop hard drive that isn't recognized in the bios of my desktop when it was not to long ago; I can't hook it up either via my IDE-USB connector, nor via my IDE-Laptop IDE converter, though I used to be able to. I tried sticking it in the freezer for awhile.

Are there any tricks left that don't rhyme with bumpers?

Do you even know if it powers on? Does it click? We need some more info about the condition of the drive to suggest solutions.

CactusWeasle posted:

Can i unplug the north bridge fan on my motherboard without frying it?

A little further explanation: the little north bridge fan on my MSI K8N NEO4..blah blah has started to make a horrible noise, so loud infact that i can hear it with music blasting over my headphones, and its inside my "silent" (my arse) Antec P180. I've tried everything i can to stop the noise by cleaning it, stopping it with my fingers for a few secs. etc but i guess the bearing is just screwed. Cant find ANY replacement for it, but would it be OK to just go ahead and unplug the fan? Is it really necessary?

Buy this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118014

Assuming you don't have a massive graphics card that will get in the way of that heatsink.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 1, 2006

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
I, at the height of my stupidity, spilled Dr. Pepper all over my laptop.

After painstakingly taking it apart, cleaning it, and rebuilding it, and letting it sit for a while, it now works, except for one problem.

The computer will no longer accept a charge from the power supply.

However, it will accept a charge from the battery, and the adapter slowly charges the battery, except based on initial tests I do not believe that the adapter charges the battery while the computer is off.

At the current rate, the battery is losing about 1% of charge an hour while plugged in.

If I remove the battery, the laptop will not turn on at all.

I have tried using a different power adapter, with the same results.

Question is, is this something that can be solved by cleaning something that I may have missed? Is there any hope for me? If not, what part do I need to replace?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I think it's kosher to ask this here...

Does anybody remember which goon works for Mushkin? I remember reading about someone in one of the long core 2 duo threads but I cannot for the life of me find who it is.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

MrBuddyLee posted:

Hey, figured I'd try this thread first for help with a video card meltdown.

The fan died on my GeForce 8600. I figured it out when I started seeing artifacts while playing WoW. (Little dots and lines around the cursor and eventually freezing the video even though the keys still worked in the game the picture stayed static.)

Now I have a strong fan blowing directly into the case and the GPU core reads low temp but the artifacts still come after a bit. I'm thinking my card's fried.

I got the PC from Dell 1.5 yrs ago. I called them and the guy said my one year warranty's up. But I read somewhere that NVidia's cards have lifetime guarantees, and I was wondering if anyone knew what the best way would be for me to get a (free) replacement. Thanks!

I had the exact same problem on my 8500. If you feel comfortable doing so, seeing as your warranty is up, if you open the computer up and clean all the dust out you should get more life out of it. Doing this I've had my computer for 3-4 years. Although, now I've gone and ruined that by spilling pop on it...

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
What type of CPU and memory would work best with a 10 computer XP Pro network that's going to be used for data processing?

Amd, Pentium? What speed? How much memory will I need to make it all go along smoothly?

utopian180
Oct 23, 2003
Dancing through Sunday

utopian180 posted:

strwrsxprt posted:

Do you even know if it powers on? Does it click? We need some more info about the condition of the drive to suggest solutions.

It comes to life and clicks, kind of sounds like a double speed cricket. 2 clicks per second. Additionally, it is a 5400 rpm Hitachi-branded Travelstar.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

I have a question about memory.

My computer came with one stick of Micron 1gb PC2-4300, and I recently bought another 1GB stick to upgrade it to 2gb dual channel, however the 2nd stick only reads as 512mb and I can't figure out why.

According to Sandra, it's exactly the same as the other stick. PC2-4300, same speeds, etc. However it reads as 8x64. Brand is Centon.

If I stick it in by itself it still reads as only 512mb, so right now I have them both in and they run at 1.5gb dual channel. It's maybe worth noting that the stick that DOES read correctly is double sided, and the one that doesn't is single sided. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA5I915PMD, nothing high end but certainly capable of having 2gb RAM (up to 4gb, I think)

This has completely stumped me, I've tried flashing the bios and re-aligning the sticks, as well as replacing the stick. no clue what to try now.

Also, another question: does anyone know of a good place to buy PC parts in Europe, preferably outside of the UK? (Italy, Germany, Switzerland area preferred) something similar to newegg/OCuk that uses Euro. I can't find any decent US retailers that ship internationally.

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Conscious of pain, you're distracted by pain.
You're fixated on it. Obsessed by one threat, you miss the other.

So much more aware, so much less perceptive. An automaton could do better.

Are you in there?

Are you listening? Can you see?
I am building computers for people who are going to use it for Photoshop, Vectorworks, Artlantis, and other 3D/Modeling programs. Is there any reason to get a video card better than a 7300GS? I am putting this in instead of the "normal" 7600GT, and using the price different to get an E6600 instead of a E6400 (which will actually help render times and other CPU intensive tasks).
These kinds of programs don't really need a good GPU, do they?

chipicha
Oct 13, 2004

two_beer_bishes posted:

I think it's kosher to ask this here...

Does anybody remember which goon works for Mushkin? I remember reading about someone in one of the long core 2 duo threads but I cannot for the life of me find who it is.

Ohohoh, I do I do! And so does Fusionpit. He knows all the technical stuff, though; I'm just the phone bitch.

Exciting Jeff
May 23, 2005
I just purchased a new computer. Rather than buy new hard drives, I figured I'd just re-use my old ones. Unfortunately, they were RAIDed, which I sort of forgot. Now I just want to reformat them and use them as regular old hard drives. The BIOS recognizes them, but Windows doesn't. Neither does Partition Magic. Is there something that I can do here, or did I inadvertently brick my hard drives?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Exciting Jeff posted:

I just purchased a new computer. Rather than buy new hard drives, I figured I'd just re-use my old ones. Unfortunately, they were RAIDed, which I sort of forgot. Now I just want to reformat them and use them as regular old hard drives. The BIOS recognizes them, but Windows doesn't. Neither does Partition Magic. Is there something that I can do here, or did I inadvertently brick my hard drives?

Sounds like you need to load SATA drivers from a floppy disk (I thought we were done with this poo poo) by pressing F6 when Windows setup tell you to at the bottom of the screen.

If not that, maybe your motherboard has a RAID configuration utility that may allow you to put the old volume back together, build a new one, or start all over.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
What causes speakers to loudly pop when the volume knob is turned quickly, but otherwise sound completely fine?

Mr Bike
Dec 3, 2004

More tea Mr. Bike?
I have two hard drives in a RAID 0 from an old computer and I want to get the data off of them. I don't have the computer anymore, and I think it was the onboard RAID controller that I used. Is there an easy way to hook these drives up and get the data or will I have to install a RAID card in my current computer to access the data? Will that even work if the RAID controller on the card is different than the one I originally used to build the array in the first place?

quote:

What causes speakers to loudly pop when the volume knob is turned quickly, but otherwise sound completely fine?

This could be caused by dirt on the volume knob.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I'm looking for information about PPUs. More specifically PhysX. It is recommended by a game I play, but I am already able to run it on max graphics with my framerate being around 30fps and sometimes in the high 40s and low 50s.

Is a PPU really worth it, and if so is PhysX the way to go?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Not Virgil posted:

Is a PPU really worth it, and if so is PhysX the way to go?

They're really trying to push them, but right now hardly any games use them or get much benefit from them, and it doesn't look like supprot is going to take off or anything. Probably not worth it.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

SecretFire posted:

They're really trying to push them, but right now hardly any games use them or get much benefit from them, and it doesn't look like supprot is going to take off or anything. Probably not worth it.

Thanks, you saved me some money there.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I received a set of Boston Acoustics CR57 bookshelf speakers for a holiday-themed event, which retail for about $180. I'll be plugging these into my computer for music and occasional games - currently I have the cheap sound chipset on the motherboard but I'd be willing to spend a few bucks on a better soundcard if it's likely to make a difference. Should I expect these CR57s to be significantly inferior to another model I can get for around the same price (like some monitors, which http://shsc.info/Speakerguide seems to suggest)?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I am building a computer and having a whale of a time. Get it? No...

I've wired everything correctly (I think), but once I hook up a power supply to the outlet, the thing fucks up. When I turn on the power supply's on button, it whines, and doesn't really do anything. Nothing works and the only thing that seemingly happens when we turn on the computer is the noise.

My question I guess is... what is the issue. Is the wiring off, is the power supply broken, or what could the issue be. I'm open for everything. Thanks for the help.

Edit: Well, nobody has seen this, but I'm editing anyway.

We tried the power supply on a different computer and it worked perfectly fine, so it's not the power supply. The buzzing still persists when connected to the motherboard, but we think the motherboard might be the issue. Thanks for reading and pondering; if you have any other questions or answers, just let me know. Thanks.

uggy fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 23, 2006

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My brothers 9600XT has a really loud fan, and being the genius I am I sprayed it full of WD40. It definitely reduced the volume, but has since stopped the PC from making it to windows. With the fan disconnected it works fine.

As long as my brother isnt playing games on the PC, is there any danger to the card having it passively cooled?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Varvs posted:

My brothers 9600XT has a really loud fan, and being the genius I am I sprayed it full of WD40. It definitely reduced the volume, but has since stopped the PC from making it to windows. With the fan disconnected it works fine.

As long as my brother isnt playing games on the PC, is there any danger to the card having it passively cooled?

How does the fan run if it's hooked up but left unmounted from the video card? Maybe it can burn off the excess WD40 then?

Do you have any way of monitoring temperatures as well? Video cards should be pretty tolerant, but I'd be afraid of letting it exceed 80 degrees celsius or so, though that's pretty conservative.

utopian180
Oct 23, 2003
Dancing through Sunday
Can you buy a new OEM hard drive and use downloaded software from the manufacturers website to copy your Windows installation from the old, outgoing drive to the new drive?

Specifically, looking at;
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1200JB 120GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144118

I know that with most retail boxes this is possible, however can you download all the software for free that comes with the retail box?

edit: http://tinyurl.com/ymhqb7
This seems to be my answer.

utopian180 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 10, 2007

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

It's time to play Spot the Looney!
Will a Radeon X1950 XT fit in a Shuttle SN27P2 Barebone case? And/or: Where can I find more info about what cards will fit and which ones won't in Shuttle cases?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

utopian180
Oct 23, 2003
Dancing through Sunday
I handled and 1950 a couple days ago and it was bigger than my car. I would guess not; have you looked around for shuttle forums or somesuch?

http://www.sudhian.com/index.php?/forums/viewforum/4/
http://forums.kustompcs.co.uk/showthread.php?t=32253
http://www.2cpu.com/forums/archive/index.php/f-33.html

• Locked thread