Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Anyone have any thoughts on Insignia? I was looking at this: http://tinyurl.com/2lbbof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Every widescreen HD CRT I've played around with in the stores have a 10-second pause between pushing the power button and viewing a channel. Why do they take so long for them to turn on like that?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yechezkel posted:

Every widescreen HD CRT I've played around with in the stores have a 10-second pause between pushing the power button and viewing a channel. Why do they take so long for them to turn on like that?

I think you'll find that most HDTVs are like that no matter the display type. I know my Samsung LCD takes about 11 seconds to turn on.

HDTVs are pretty complex electronic devices and like most things that are basically mini-computers, they take time to boot.

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

Orgophlax posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on Insignia? I was looking at this: http://tinyurl.com/2lbbof

It sucks. It has one HD input (component) and I see them in our warehouse all the time waiting to be fixed/junked out.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Lt. Jebus posted:

While its fun to hate on them, Samsung, Sony and Sharp are very clear on their websites as to whether they are stating Dynamic or Static contrast.

Hey, nothing wrong with trying to screw the customer into buying something they don't need, it's the essence of marketing. :) I'm not hatin', I just bought a 32" Samsung as well.

By the way, it's an LE-32R32B. I'm used to smaller desktop LCDs so when my room got dark in the evening, the crappy black levels were kind of shocking, but I doubt I could've gotten any better for $880. Plus after this amount of money spent, you kinda learn to love your purchase.

:unsmith:

Jizzle Drizzle
Feb 7, 2005

SKIBI DOO BOP I’M DA SCAT MAN
Would anyone be able to recommend a HD set for me?

I currently have a crappy 27" SD set that only has a single coax input, so I'm forced to run all my components into my reciever and then through a loving RF modulator, thus destroying any quality at all. Seriously, I don't even know why I have things hooked up to the reciever with S-video, knowing that it's just gonna end up crammed onto a single coax line, but that's a different story.

I've got about $500 to spend on a new set and I'm looking for the best bang for my buck.

I'd like it to be about the same size as my current set and I'd use the following components:
Wii
DVD Player
Occasional PS2
Laptop via s-video
Dish Network, right now it's SD, but hopefully I'll get HD within the next few months

What I'm particulary concerned about is that SD programming will look like total crap. I know it's kind of hard to avoid, but if there's a TV out there that will do that, I'd love to know!

I'm not Bick.

Donkey Kunt
Mar 19, 2006

I'm a cat.
Verizon finally released a channel lineup for my neighborhood as we'll be receiving FiOS in a few months. It has all the channels from Comcast and others that I want.
However, I prefer not to rent out the set-top box. How much does the box cost to buy for keeps? As an alternative, when does CableCard 2.0 come out?

Jizzle Drizzle posted:

Would anyone be able to recommend a HD set for me?

I currently have a crappy 27" SD set that only has a single coax input, so I'm forced to run all my components into my reciever and then through a loving RF modulator, thus destroying any quality at all. Seriously, I don't even know why I have things hooked up to the reciever with S-video, knowing that it's just gonna end up crammed onto a single coax line, but that's a different story.

I've got about $500 to spend on a new set and I'm looking for the best bang for my buck.

I'd like it to be about the same size as my current set and I'd use the following components:
Wii
DVD Player
Occasional PS2
Laptop via s-video
Dish Network, right now it's SD, but hopefully I'll get HD within the next few months

What I'm particulary concerned about is that SD programming will look like total crap. I know it's kind of hard to avoid, but if there's a TV out there that will do that, I'd love to know!

I have a Samsung LN-S 26". They have recently been phased out for the LN-T series. The price I paid for the LN-S had a decent SDTV scaler for the price. However, everything was connected via component and if possible it was running in a progressive image (DVD player, the few times a friend used a Wii on it via component).

Even with component, PS2 would look like rear end in some games because the textures are just low and usually interlaced. A $500 set at 26" would probably be a budget brand that would be a bit below the name brand in quality.

If you can throw $300 more at the problem, Amazon has what appears to be a great deal on their latest LCD television at that price. It's the newer model of my television. Anything below $800, I cannot really give a solid selection.

But as just a suggestion
http://tinyurl.com/2vvsyn

Monks
Oct 23, 2005
I'm thinking about buying this panasonic TH-42PX75U: http://tinyurl.com/2ewndo

At about $1500 w/ tax it's right at the max of my price range but that's ok. Am I making a mistake here? It seems pretty good but this is my first HDTV so I'm a bit nervous.

deadhoarse
Oct 18, 2004

Monks posted:

I'm thinking about buying this panasonic TH-42PX75U: http://tinyurl.com/2ewndo

At about $1500 w/ tax it's right at the max of my price range but that's ok. Am I making a mistake here? It seems pretty good but this is my first HDTV so I'm a bit nervous.

It's a decent choice, but it only has 1 component input. That's fine if you don't have more than a cable box and a DVD player, but anything more and you'll be wishing you had another component input.

edit: Sorry for the misinformation. Best Buy listed it with 1 component, but it has 2.

deadhoarse fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 16, 2007

Undersold
Oct 12, 2002

Join me for a glass of champagna
I just got http://tinyurl.com/y5jk7w delivered from my local Circuit City. It looks loving amazing. The HD channels look beautiful. I have it hooked up to a DVD player that doesn't upconvert and it looks great. It cost me $1199.99 and it was worth every penny.

pickitup13
Dec 16, 2005

Alright. I've been doing A LOT of going around to stores and really taking the time to compare HDTV's. I've concluded that the best "budget" brand ( in my experience) is Westinghouse. I've seen their 37" 720p set go for $899 and it really looks comparable to the other higher end brands. Not to mention that Westinghouse sells another 37" television that is 1080p for just a little bit more. (keep in mind that the displays in the stores are always running HD material)

So, here's what I want to know your opinions about : Are there any other budget brands that are better than westinghouse (the other brand I was looking at was Olevia)? Furthermore, since all the displays run HD material, are there any other cases in which higher end brands would completely outshine the westinghouse (such as viewing 480p material)? Would you generally reccomend their 37" 1080p TV?

Again, I was very set on buying a Samsung, but after really looking at these TV's up close, the difference between the Samsung and the Westinghouse (in the store) is very minor to me. The difference in price is huge. Just for reference, I'll be using this TV mainly for gaming with a nintendo wii and maybe an xbox 360. The 1080p Westinghouse also has stunning user reviews all around on sites such as newegg and Amazon.

Link to 1080p Westinghouse: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889234001

pickitup13 fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Apr 15, 2007

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

deadhoarse posted:

It's a decent choice, but it only has 1 component input. That's fine if you don't have more than a cable box and a DVD player, but anything more and you'll be wishing you had another component input.

It has 2. And 2 HDMIs. That should take care of most peoples' needs. You can always pick up an HDMI switcher from monoprice. The 75u series is getting pretty good reviews. I have the 60u which is fairly similar to the 75u, and it's nice. You should get a 50" if at all possible, though.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

pickitup13 posted:

Would you generally reccomend their 37" 1080p TV?[/url]

I wouldn't recommend any 37" 1080p TV. At any viewing distance greater than four or five feet your eyes can't tell the difference between a 37" 1080p and a 37" 720p. Go buy a Samsung or Sony 37" 720p LCD instead of a generic Chinese 1080p set.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

So I hate to do this, but I really don't want to spend a large amount of money and get burned, so I'm hoping someone can suggest something appropriate.

Basically as I mentioned previously, the HDTV would be used primarily for gaming (360 and hoping eventually a Wii). I actually don't really like large TV's so something around 32" is fine. I'd also prefer a CRT as not having true black really annoys me for some reason, but it's not a requirement. And (this will probably rule everything out) my budget would be under $1000.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I found this: http://tinyurl.com/25hkaq. Seems to have pretty good reviews. Any thoughts?

Orgophlax fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 15, 2007

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Orgophlax posted:

So I hate to do this, but I really don't want to spend a large amount of money and get burned, so I'm hoping someone can suggest something appropriate.

Basically as I mentioned previously, the HDTV would be used primarily for gaming (360 and hoping eventually a Wii). I actually don't really like large TV's so something around 32" is fine. I'd also prefer a CRT as not having true black really annoys me for some reason, but it's not a requirement. And (this will probably rule everything out) my budget would be under $1000.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I found this: http://tinyurl.com/25hkaq. Seems to have pretty good reviews. Any thoughts?

If decent black level performance is a requirement, then a budget LCD is exactly what you don't want. You want a Sony KD-34XBR970. Of course it's a mammoth of a TV and i think anyone who wants a 190lb. TV for a measily 34" is loving insane. You can get 42" panasonic plasmas in that price range. They won't have CRT blacks, but they'll still put every LCD to shame. No one doesn't like large TVs. I don't believe you for a second. :psylon:

Edit: Question of my own. Has anyone here owned both a Sony SXRD set and a plasma? I can't stand rear projection sets, but the thought of a 60" TV keeps drawing me back to the Sony KDS-60A2020. I'm trying to decide if a 50" plasma or 60" RPTV should be my next purchase. With the A2020 i'd be giving up sleek form factor and that wonderful plasma picture, but then i'd also be getting a huge set with 1080p and a still-decent picture. Unfortunetly i can't get a 60" plasma because at my short viewing distance 720p would look horrible. I suppose i'll run by Best Buy and Circuit City today to see how the silk screen effect is on the A2020. If it's as bad as the XBR1 i looked at a year ago, then plasma will be a no-brainer.

.Nathan. fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 15, 2007

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

.Nathan. posted:

If decent black level performance is a requirement, then a budget LCD is exactly what you don't want. You want a Sony KD-34XBR970. Of course it's a mammoth of a TV and i think anyone who wants a 190lb. TV for a measily 34" is loving insane. You can get 42" panasonic plasmas in that price range. They won't have CRT blacks, but they'll still put every LCD to shame. No one doesn't like large TVs. I don't believe you for a second. :psylon:
Well there aren't any plasma's under a grand so the beast will probably have to do.

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

Orgophlax posted:

Well there aren't any plasma's under a grand so the beast will probably have to do.

You can get the Panasonic TH37PX60U for just a hair over a grand, or the TH42PX75U (larger, newer, prettier) for an extra hundred.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I got my Panasonic TH-42PX600U for $1199.

$200 or so to upgrade from a 34" CRT to a 42" plasma seems logical.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Well that would be nice and all but under a grand is a strict requirement. I've found the Sony KD-34XBR970 for around $750 online so that's what I'm lookin at mostly.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Orgophlax posted:

My roommate bought the XBR about two weeks ago. It was a great TV, but it died within a week. Not that I think it's something that's overly likely to occur to everyone, however if it's going on a second floor, I highly recommend getting it delivered. Since we thought we could get it up the stairs on our own and failed, we had to bribe some delivery guys (who were at my place for another reason) to get it upstairs, then spend the better part of an hour getting it downstairs to return it. So again, great TV, but a really good idea to get it delivered.

pickitup13
Dec 16, 2005

Chemmy posted:

I wouldn't recommend any 37" 1080p TV. At any viewing distance greater than four or five feet your eyes can't tell the difference between a 37" 1080p and a 37" 720p. Go buy a Samsung or Sony 37" 720p LCD instead of a generic Chinese 1080p set.

Well, the typical viewing distance for this TV will be about four feet. However, I do see your point and will consider other 720p models. Basically, I'm just looking for the best 37" LCD HDTV for around a grand. I see that newegg has a sharp and an LG 37". Do you think those would be a better bet than the westinghouse?

pickitup13 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 15, 2007

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

I think I'm going to buy this today:

http://www.buy.com/prod/olevia-537h-37-lcd-hdtv-1600-1-dynamic-contrast-ratio/q/loc/111/203133142.html

I've read a lot of reviews at a lot of different sites and they are very positive... I'm gonna buy it unless someone can provide me a reason not to. I'm on a budget and this is the best deal I could find for a 37'' lcd TV with a built in tuner.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

ironlung posted:

http://www.buy.com/prod/olevia-537h-37-lcd-hdtv-1600-1-dynamic-contrast-ratio/q/loc/111/203133142.html

I've read a lot of reviews at a lot of different sites and they are very positive... I'm gonna buy it unless someone can provide me a reason not to. I'm on a budget and this is the best deal I could find for a 37'' lcd TV with a built in tuner.

That contrast ratio is really low, I don't know if you will care though.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

pickitup13 posted:

Well, the typical viewing distance for this TV will be about four feet. However, I do see your point and will consider other 720p models. Basically, I'm just looking for the best 37" LCD HDTV for around a grand. I see that newegg has a sharp and an LG 37". Do you think those would be a better bet than the westinghouse?

You can get a 42" good brand plasma for around a grand. I was looking at 32" LCDs when I price compared and said "gently caress it I'm buying a plasma".

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

ironlung posted:

You might want to take a look at this if you're willing to risk a phillips outlet refurb:

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=116991&t=492244

or, this new plasma is under 1k:

http://www.outlet.philips.com/b2c_r...=sduidp0t494575

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 16, 2007

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

I read through the thread and I think I have a handle on this.

I am looking in to buying a 50" or larger DLP in the next few months. I play a lot of video games, but I play only on the 360 & the PS3. So from what I seem to be seeing in this thread is that lag will not be an issue since the games are all HD quality. Is this correct?

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

SkaWes posted:

I read through the thread and I think I have a handle on this.

I am looking in to buying a 50" or larger DLP in the next few months. I play a lot of video games, but I play only on the 360 & the PS3. So from what I seem to be seeing in this thread is that lag will not be an issue since the games are all HD quality. Is this correct?

In modern sets input-lag pretty much isn't an issue period. But its even more negligible when playing on a 360/PS3/Wii through Component cables and above. So no worries for you

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Lt. Jebus posted:

In modern sets input-lag pretty much isn't an issue period. But its even more negligible when playing on a 360/PS3/Wii through Component cables and above. So no worries for you

Sweet, that was my only concern. Thanks!

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

furushotakeru posted:

That contrast ratio is really low, I don't know if you will care though.

I don't think it's low at all... for example my roommate's Vizio 37'' has a contrast ratio of 800:1 and is more expensive, and looks amazing. The contrast ratio on that set is what sold me.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Chemmy posted:

I wouldn't recommend any 37" 1080p TV. At any viewing distance greater than four or five feet your eyes can't tell the difference between a 37" 1080p and a 37" 720p.
It's pretty easy to tell if you're looking and it's actually more obvious the bigger the display. Using fixed-pixel sources like a PC just make it even more obvious and the lower resolutions less usable.

quote:

Go buy a Samsung or Sony 37" 720p LCD instead of a generic Chinese 1080p set.
Unless you're broke and/or cheapass, there's no reason to buy anything less than native 1920x1080. $1000 for LCD (Westinghouse LVM-37W3), $2500 plasma (Panasonic TH-42PZ700), $3000 projector (Epson EMP-TW1000). Rear-projection DLP sucks.

You know Sony hasn't built anything in-house other than a project in over 5 years, right? All Sony displays are is somebody else's product in a different case, cosmetic software changes, and the price jacked 40%+. Many, many consumer electronics use common components from other manufacturers. Sony remotes work with Westinghouse TVs, for example, which should tell you something.

Friends don't let friends buy Sony.

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 16, 2007

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
How much of a better picture is Plasma compared to DLP? I'm just curious because I watched the DiscoveryHD channel on a 50ish DLP and it looked freaking fantastic.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

maverick99 posted:

How much of a better picture is Plasma compared to DLP? I'm just curious because I watched the DiscoveryHD channel on a 50ish DLP and it looked freaking fantastic.

From what I have been told by a few friends that have it is that the picture is pretty much second to none. But from what I understand the burn in is terrible on plasmas, as well as the picture fading fairly rapidly over time compared to other sets.

Donkey Kunt
Mar 19, 2006

I'm a cat.
So has anyone gotten to use the new LED DLPs from Samsung?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HL-T5...2&s=electronics

I haven't seen it on that website, but I think I read somewhere it has a 16 microsecond response rate? Overall, it sounds like a neat innovation to rear projection DLP. I think it was the Texas Instrument DLP website, but it said that it had a bulb lifespan of 60,000 hours. Seems very energy efficient with less moving parts. The set hasn't arrived at Circuit City yet, so I haven't gotten to toy with it with my friend who works there. Anything new and exciting to come out of it?

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Moo Moo Bells posted:

So has anyone gotten to use the new LED DLPs from Samsung?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HL-T5...2&s=electronics

I haven't seen it on that website, but I think I read somewhere it has a 16 microsecond response rate? Overall, it sounds like a neat innovation to rear projection DLP. I think it was the Texas Instrument DLP website, but it said that it had a bulb lifespan of 60,000 hours. Seems very energy efficient with less moving parts. The set hasn't arrived at Circuit City yet, so I haven't gotten to toy with it with my friend who works there. Anything new and exciting to come out of it?

I have not heard of this type of TV before, but if it eliminates the problem with the rainbow effect then it seems like it solves the one major drawbacks of DLP sets.

Brosa Parks
Jan 28, 2005

Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed.

EnergizerFellow posted:

Unless you're broke and/or cheapass, there's no reason to buy anything less than native 1920x1080.

No, there's no reason to get a native 1080 set unless it's big enough/close enough that the human eye can tell the difference between a 1080i/p and 720p image. If you're sitting 15 feet away from a 32" set, it's just not possible to tell the difference.

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004

ilikegrapejuice posted:

You can get the Panasonic TH37PX60U for just a hair over a grand, or the TH42PX75U (larger, newer, prettier) for an extra hundred.

Why doesn't it show the resolutions it can support on any websites? I can find them easily for LCDs, but not plasma.

ROOMBA floorvac fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 16, 2007

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

SkaWes posted:

From what I have been told by a few friends that have it is that the picture is pretty much second to none.
Pretty much, yes. For direct-view it's plasma and "everything else." Just don't get one of those nasty cheap ones with a horizontal resolution of 1024.

quote:

But from what I understand the burn in is terrible on plasmas, as well as the picture fading fairly rapidly over time compared to other sets.
For modern plasmas this is largely no longer true. Plasmas made in the last year or two have burn-in and fade rates as good as, or better than, the last of the CRTs. Did you have burn-in and/or fade issues on your CRTs, honestly?

quote:

No, there's no reason to get a native 1080 set unless it's big enough/close enough that the human eye can tell the difference between a 1080i/p and 720p image. If you're sitting 15 feet away from a 32" set, it's just not possible to tell the difference.
You can easily tell, especially with fixed-pixel sources, just like I said before, plus it justs get more obvious the larger the physical display. I can see an argument for sub-32" 1080 not mattering, but for anything larger it's pretty obvious. Doesn't help that most consumer scalers suck, will continue to do so, and 1080i is rapidly becoming the definitive broadcast HDTV standard (sporting events are about the only thing in 720p).

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 16, 2007

Donkey Kunt
Mar 19, 2006

I'm a cat.

SkaWes posted:

I have not heard of this type of TV before, but if it eliminates the problem with the rainbow effect then it seems like it solves the one major drawbacks of DLP sets.

http://www.dlp.com/hdtv/led_hdtvs.aspx?strt=t&ct=633122629255838420&strt=t&gd=4475c9b0-2f14-442d-bef3-2952e305b381

That's the official website, and it doesn't look like it was updated. It has last year's LED DLP TVs, and according to some websites (Google DLP LED), the Samsung on that page was $4,000. According to Samsung's website, this year's 61" LED DLP is $3,000. Huge price drop from what appears to be a prototype of sorts.

I'm trying to find where I read it, but I swear one website said that these LEDs eliminates the rainbow effect. However, because the 2007 LED DLP TVs were just recently released, it doesn't have much information about them. All the information I can find is on the HL-S model from last year.

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

Moo Moo Bells posted:

I'm trying to find where I read it, but I swear one website said that these LEDs eliminates the rainbow effect. However, because the 2007 LED DLP TVs were just recently released, it doesn't have much information about them. All the information I can find is on the HL-S model from last year.

I think I saw on AVS or somewhere that they were significantly brighter (I remember people being disappointed with how dim last year's were, but I never got to see one myself) and that they fixed the rainbow issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

EnergizerFellow posted:

For modern plasmas this is largely no longer true. Plasmas made in the last year or two have burn-in and fade rates as good as, or better than, the last of the CRTs. Did you have burn-in and/or fade issues on your CRTs, honestly?

I have never experianced burn in first hand, I have just been told by other people. I heard the problem really occurs in video games because they have lots of static images like HUD displays and health meters.

Is the picture fading faster than sets that use different technologies still a problem?

Moo Moo Bells posted:

http://www.dlp.com/hdtv/led_hdtvs.aspx?strt=t&ct=633122629255838420&strt=t&gd=4475c9b0-2f14-442d-bef3-2952e305b381

That's the official website, and it doesn't look like it was updated. It has last year's LED DLP TVs, and according to some websites (Google DLP LED), the Samsung on that page was $4,000. According to Samsung's website, this year's 61" LED DLP is $3,000. Huge price drop from what appears to be a prototype of sorts.

I would be hard pressed to buy a $3000 dollar TV that I don't know anything about, no matter how good the claims, without hearing some reviews from people that have bought it. However I do have to say that those are some sharp looking sets they have on that website.

• Locked thread