Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
They should do an entire show about that pig farm outside Las Vegas with the old dude and everything he owned was covered in rotting food.

Man, that episode made me laugh like none other.. especially the slop cart with the weirdest steering controls known to man.

Oh, and the truck with the back end filled with hot pig slop soup.

fuckin' nasty, but hilarious as all hell.

Fantastipotamus fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 20, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torsloke
Feb 17, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Today they gave the entire run of a show that I can only guess was the proto-form of Deadliest Catch. I think it was called America's Deadliest Season: Crab Fishermen, or just Crab Fishermen. I remembered watching a series on Lobster Fishermen between seasons of Deadliest Catch, but I had no idea that there was a Crab Fisherman show on Discovery before they ran Deadliest Catch. The funny thing about the show was, that besides the crab count, and the several boats, the general format of the show was much the same, just with a different host (who I am pretty sure also did the lobster one.) The show took place in 2004, which was one year before DC started right? I didn't see any familiar boats or faces in the few episodes I watched though.
My Tivo taped that, but I've only watched a little of it. It does have Sig Hansen and Larry Hendricks so far that I've seen.

I'm so into the "Catch" love that I bought the "Working on the Edge" book that they keep mentioning on "After the Catch". Some of the stories that guy was telling were unbelievable.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

That Las Vegas pig farm episode of Dirty Jobs was disgusting, easily one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen on TV. I never actually watched the whole thing because I was so revolted by it, I kept 30-second skipping through it. The best part was when Mike stopped quickly with a truckload of slop and it sloshed forward and into the cab.

You guys talking about "America's Deadliest Season" - there was apparently something that was a precursor to that too, called "Extreme Alaska" I think - they were talking about it last night on After the Catch.

Last night's episode of "After The Catch" was pretty interesting, especially the stories about the bar all the fishermen go to.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I wish they would repeat previous seasons of the show dammit! I want to see the first season. I just found out that it was the last season that was done "derby" style where basically it was a free for all race to get crab, as opposed to the quota system that debuted with season 2, when I first started watching.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

LordOfThePants posted:

That Las Vegas pig farm episode of Dirty Jobs was disgusting, easily one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen on TV. I never actually watched the whole thing because I was so revolted by it, I kept 30-second skipping through it. The best part was when Mike stopped quickly with a truckload of slop and it sloshed forward and into the cab.

As I recall, Mike mentioned that job on at least two later episodes and mentioned that the owner was offered some ridiculous sum of money for the land the farm was on and turned it down. That job seemed like one he seriously was surprised someone could love that much. I don't blame him.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

I wish they would repeat previous seasons of the show dammit! I want to see the first season.
They were showing an episode a day, last I checked, though it's on at 11 AM or so. They cycle through pretty fast because each season only has 10 or 12 episodes.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

smackfu posted:

They were showing an episode a day, last I checked, though it's on at 11 AM or so. They cycle through pretty fast because each season only has 10 or 12 episodes.

10 AM eastern, which I think used to be Mythbusters. I think last week I was watching Mythbusters at 10 because I watched it before Gilmore Girls, which is on at 11 on ABC Family.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
I love Mike Rowe and I would pay good money to see a dirty jobs episode entirely based on one of the Deadliest catch boats. Hell I would love to see him do a “Dangerous jobs” show, I know discovery had one on for a while so it would be great to see Mike Rowe doing one. Hell he does enough poo poo in Dirty Jobs that would make a lot of people want to die.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah, and that bait preparation job looked pretty dirty what with cutting off a bunch of fish heads and stuff.

Plus, it seems like Phil smokes so much that just being around him would cover you in a grimy yellow film.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Darth Freddy posted:

Hell I would love to see him do a “Dangerous jobs” show

I don't! I used to have "crab fisherman" and "ice road trucker" on my list of jobs to get when I give up on living. They used to be somewhat obscure, but now... And your show would ruin whatever I find to replace those two :smith:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The new ice road trucker show is pretty awesome though, you must admit.

There was at least a documentary or something about it before though, I could swear I remember one anyway.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

I just found out that it was the last season that was done "derby" style where basically it was a free for all race to get crab, as opposed to the quota system that debuted with season 2, when I first started watching.
And the real problem is that the derby style is what made it the most dangerous job! Like if a boat loses a prop now, they'll definitely go back to port and get it fixed because they have time. In the old days, they would need to keep fishing, because waiting would leave them with $0. And then if a storm came up, well they would just be screwed, because having half your power is not a good thing in a storm.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I finally saw the episode of Mythbusters where Adam gets zapped by the Ark, holy poo poo he looked pissed. I'm surprised he didn't quit over that.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

So is Discovery HD ever going to have HD Mythbusters? I know they're filming it in HD, I just know it :smith:

As for Jamie possibly being some sort of ex spec-ops spook guy, he sure forgets to lean into his shots. The exploding truck tire myth especially, a 12 gauge slug doesn't kick that hard, but he made it look like someone shoved the gun into his shoulder. Ouch :(

Beeb fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 22, 2007

P78M
Sep 1, 2004

tropical hot dog night
Corey Arnold is a photographer Discovery put on the crab boat "Rollo" last season. His photos are amazing: http://www.coreyfishes.com/

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

P78M posted:

Corey Arnold is a photographer Discovery put on the crab boat "Rollo" last season. His photos are amazing: http://www.coreyfishes.com/

Holly poo poo dude, these are awesome thanks for sharing.

Also for any one that watched the season final, I loved the greenhorn on Sigs ship, that kid went above and beyond to get accepted by the crew and sure as hell put a lot more out then most of the greenhorns you see on there. He really deserved the jacket he earned. I was cheering for the little dude.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Darth Freddy posted:

Holly poo poo dude, these are awesome thanks for sharing.

Also for any one that watched the season final, I loved the greenhorn on Sigs ship, that kid went above and beyond to get accepted by the crew and sure as hell put a lot more out then most of the greenhorns you see on there. He really deserved the jacket he earned. I was cheering for the little dude.

But will he be back on the Northwestern next season?

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

But will he be back on the Northwestern next season?

I hope so, the kid has a great camera personality and makes the show even more enjoyable. Hell I was surprised as hell he kept going up to the rail and losing his clothing and still kept at it just to get some respect. It is a hell of a lot better then the one guys kid who tried to remove a tooth with a pair of needle nose pliers, I don’t know why but that kid annoys the poo poo out of me.

One of the things I like and hate about the show is the deck hands them selves, some times they come off as the most arrogant gently caress possible and down right ugly as hell some times. While other times they come off as some of the most light hearted and caring human beings possible. The guy who jumped into the survival suit so he could dive over the side to help the man that fell over board is the perfect example of this, he comes off as a rather mean hard rear end even after he rescued the guy but did something a lot of normal people wouldn’t even be able to think fast enough to do it, much less get out there and go for it.

After the catch really goes into this and shows these fellows as a bunch of average people instead of the people we see out on the deck.

On the plus side Sig’s daughter is cute as hell.

More on the neat pictures.

I love how this one kind of gives you a idea of how small the deck is, at least on this ship.

And I would love to see the color tones on this messed with, dull the colors on the person him self while leavening the belt and knife at the original tone, giving focus to it.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

The Duke posted:

I finally saw the episode of Mythbusters where Adam gets zapped by the Ark, holy poo poo he looked pissed. I'm surprised he didn't quit over that.

If you watch, you can tell the "interns" really didn't want to do it and Kari looked like she was going to cry when he jumped back and just said deadpan "you guys did hook up the cattle fence shocker, didn't you?"

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:

Robot Relations posted:

If you watch, you can tell the "interns" really didn't want to do it and Kari looked like she was going to cry when he jumped back and just said deadpan "you guys did hook up the cattle fence shocker, didn't you?"

Yeah, he was pretty pissed.

My only gripe with the Discovery Channel is that they play the same drat commercials over, and over, and over. Other than that they should do more astronomy shows.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Robot Relations posted:

Actually Tori seemed really to dread what was coming the whole time, while Kari tried to keep her TV face on the whole time by constantly talking. I hadn't seen the episode in a very long time, but after becoming more familiar with the build team since then, it is pretty clear how horrible Tori was at showing he was nervous during that "prank."

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Actually Tori seemed really to dread what was coming the whole time, while Kari tried to keep her TV face on the whole time by constantly talking. I hadn't seen the episode in a very long time, but after becoming more familiar with the build team since then, it is pretty clear how horrible Tori was at showing he was nervous during that "prank."

Actually, yeah, now that you mention it, he had that look of shame and fear about what he was about to see. Really, that's a pretty dick thing to do as the show's producer.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

HanabaL03 posted:

Other than that they should do more astronomy shows.

And more futurism/technology shows. There used to be a ton of those, back in the days of Next Step and Beyond 2000, but other than the 2057 special I can't think of any recent ones. It is nice they seem to have stopped being the custom motorcycle channel and gotten back to some decent shows, though.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 23, 2007

Vonnegut Asterisk
Apr 14, 2007

Brandon, you put Pat White down this instant young man!
Building the Future is actually a fantastic series, and will help you on your quest of forward-looking shows on Discovery.

Trotsky1940
Sep 18, 2006

Robot Relations posted:

I read that a producer of the show conned them into it; Adam supposedly didn't like the guy anyway and he left shortly afterward.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Trotsky1940 posted:

I read that a producer of the show conned them into it; Adam supposedly didn't like the guy anyway and he left shortly afterward.

Yeah, the producer kind of forced them into doing it and I think Adam poo poo-talked him something fierce at some college visit they did after he left the show.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Which episode was this Jamie clip in? I remember them shocking him but I don't remember his reaction towards it so now I want to see it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DurosKlav posted:

Which episode was this Jamie clip in? I remember them shocking him but I don't remember his reaction towards it so now I want to see it.

This is lovely because it's someone filming their tv, but not that bad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buF-feh51eg

Once you know what happens you can rewatch it and see how tense everyone is.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

IRQ posted:

Wow, yeah. It's been a while since I saw that one, Tori really really wanted to put a stop to it. I know none of them did and tried to play along, but it's obvious that something was wrong.

OH HAY YOU JUST APPROACH THE IDOL AND LOOK INTO THE EYES OF GOD GIGGLE GIGGLE :j:

You guys didn't hook up the electric fence generator to this thing right? :raise:
<nervous laughter> uh... :smith:

keeper
Jun 5, 2002

IRQ posted:

This is lovely because it's someone filming their tv, but not that bad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buF-feh51eg

Tori was looking terrified in some of those scenes.

What makes that worse is how depressed Adam got when he couldn't do that awning ripping stunt with all the harnesses and pads, I imagine they had a different producer at that point. Or the insurance company was just paying more attention.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

keeper posted:

Tori was looking terrified in some of those scenes.

And the way he deadpan confirms that they hooked up the cattle fence thing is pretty :smith: too.

That was not only stupid, but kind of dangerous because while it wasn't lethal, anything above a few thousand volts can cause some serious injuries.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...
I've got a question about the Deadliest Catch on DVD. I was looking at Season 1 and it said it was presented in full frame 1.33:1, but I can't remember if it said whether or not it was original aspect ratio. My question is, was season 1 shot in 1.33:1, or is the DVD formatted to it? Perhaps it's just non-anamorphic? I know season 2 and 3 were shot in 1.77:1 from watching on Discovery (can't remember if season 1 was), and the Behind the Scenes show said that at least season 3 used high definition cameras.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

TheOneVader posted:

I've got a question about the Deadliest Catch on DVD. I was looking at Season 1 and it said it was presented in full frame 1.33:1, but I can't remember if it said whether or not it was original aspect ratio. My question is, was season 1 shot in 1.33:1, or is the DVD formatted to it? Perhaps it's just non-anamorphic? I know season 2 and 3 were shot in 1.77:1 from watching on Discovery (can't remember if season 1 was), and the Behind the Scenes show said that at least season 3 used high definition cameras.

I believe it was shot full frame because when they showed clips of that Season on After The Catch, they look out of proportion because they were being stretched to fit the widescreen format of that show.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Watching this Monkey farm episode of Dirty Jobs that I dont remember ever seeing before. The lady at this place is totally insane and I keep waiting for mike to just tell her to shut the gently caress up.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

DurosKlav posted:

Watching this Monkey farm episode of Dirty Jobs that I dont remember ever seeing before. The lady at this place is totally insane and I keep waiting for mike to just tell her to shut the gently caress up.
Yeah, I wanted Mike to just give one of the monkeys a swift boot. I think part of the reason they're so aggressive is because she's allowed them to run the place.

I know it's kind of a rehab clinic.. but.. seriously.

That whole 'cattle fence' thing is actually pretty dangerous, what with the shock running straight through the heart, from one arm to the other. I'd think it might be pretty easy to disrupt the natural heart rhythm, and I think Tori knew that.

I'm not sure if any of you have been shocked like that before (I've been shocked by a horse electric fence, and I think cow fences are even stronger because they're stupider and thicker-skinned), but it really hurts. And you're going to maximize the pain by going arm-to-arm. It also leaves you feeling all wonky inside, like all your insides feel weird and hosed up.. I would have been really pissed too. :(

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Have these ever been posted? I just found these classic videos of Mike Rowe when he used to work for QVC. Guy is loving hilarious, all he does is riff on the items instead of trying to sell them.

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=mike%20rowe%20qvc&search=Search

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler

The Duke posted:

Have these ever been posted? I just found these classic videos of Mike Rowe when he used to work for QVC. Guy is loving hilarious, all he does is riff on the items instead of trying to sell them.

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=mike%20rowe%20qvc&search=Search

This is the first that I have seen these, and they are loving amazing. Proof positive that Mike Rowe is the best person ever to grace my TV screen.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The best video is either "Animated Love" or "Katsak"

edit: if you want to see Mike Rowe tear it up on a karaoke machine watch the video called "My Way". loving awesome.

The Duke fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 25, 2007

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

Bob Sapp Please posted:

This is the first that I have seen these, and they are loving amazing. Proof positive that Mike Rowe is the best person ever to grace my TV screen.

He almost looks like the guy who ran for congress on heros, and thanks for this, its great.

Noah's Ark is also loving great.

Triple Edit
Mike Rowe Singing National Anthem
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1xhSBniwGbM&mode=related&search=#

And again
http://youtube.com/watch?v=tN78BWp8Hms&mode=related&search=
Mike Rowe cooks with naked ladys.

Darth Freddy fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 25, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

They never showed it on air, but the Do Girls Fart clip with Kari still makes me laugh out loud. They showed it during their college stops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JisgLhWghRQ

• Locked thread