Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances
Wait, mrk. So you listen with the speakers behind you? That's kinda weird...

Have you tried placing them both on the narrower wall (either on the other side of your bed or the opposite end of your room). That should get more coherent imaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

what the f/2.8 is going on here!
I'd been scouring the local FreeAD papers online (adtrader.co.uk) the past week for a new amp and last night found one that went live that day, I immediately noted down the number and gave the guy a call the following day at work.

The guy said he was surprised no one else had already taken it so I assume he had it advertised elsewhere too. The seller was a serious audiophile though, he had the latest kit from NAD and speakers with cables as thick as a £2 coin. I was wowed.

I did drive up there intending to bargain it down to £100 but when I saw it all in mint condition and the kit he has plus unopened papers and boxed etc I knew it was well looked after so just had a chat about his Exige and paid the asking price.

Well happy!

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

Pibborando San posted:

Wait, mrk. So you listen with the speakers behind you? That's kinda weird...

Have you tried placing them both on the narrower wall (either on the other side of your bed or the opposite end of your room). That should get more coherent imaging.

Yep but unfortunately the space available is not very suitable for speaker placement, it's weird I have a big room but not enough space to position speakers :p

Behind though they work just fine, if I buy a new desk I can put the speakers on the sides of the desk as currently the side cabinets stop me doing this.

wasp_f15ing
Feb 27, 2004

For once you must try not to shirk the facts: mankind is kept alive by bestial acts
Thats a great deal mrk, I bought that same amp ages ago for £299!

Well I have finally started to get a set-up sorted beyond my crappy Z-5500. I have been restricted to crappy logitech speakers for my whole time at university. Now that I have a house I can finally build a proper system :D

Well I only started a week or two ago, so its not that great at the moment.

Speakers: Yamaha NS-100 sister of the highly acclaimed Yamaha NS-200 (which I cant find!)

Amplifiers: Naim Audio Nait 3, bought off Ebay in superb condition. Oh god this amplifier.. at 30 watts I was having cold sweats after buying it on ebay, but my fears have thankfully been put to rest. This is just an awesome amp. The high sensitivity of the NS100 means the amp is doing great things on nearly every kind of music I throw at it. The only problem is the naim terminations, which mean the amp has to be at the end of any shelf/table etc. I am so excited at this amplifier. It makes me want to buy more naim, but yeh.. they are so drat expensive.

The other amp is for the Senn HD600, the Pro-Ject headbox se is a nice little amp for the music at night.

Heaphones: HD600 I am pretty sure most of you know what this thing does.

Subwoofer: Yamaha YSTSW-800, whilst being stunning for movies this sub is crap for music. It is just far too powerful. The 800w/1000w power is just way too much for simple music listening. Even at 7 o'clock is way too loud (6 being 0) I am am after a REL sub for my next purchase.

The PC is the source since most of my music is on there. However I am looking for an Arcam or Marantz CD player to add to the system.

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

How do you find the HD600? I'm looking at the 595 myself as my budget is £100 tops and the 600 seem to be a bit more than that. it may be worth the stretch if it's worth the extra cost! - btw your amp does look retro in an awesome way :D

-
@robbiekhan

wasp_f15ing
Feb 27, 2004

For once you must try not to shirk the facts: mankind is kept alive by bestial acts

mrk posted:

How do you find the HD600? I'm looking at the 595 myself as my budget is £100 tops and the 600 seem to be a bit more than that. it may be worth the stretch if it's worth the extra cost! - btw your amp does look retro in an awesome way :D

Well the HD600s are just so much of a step up form some headphones i've used before. The only problem with the HD600s and above is that they require amplifcation as a standard. I have read on a few forums that Grado are better if you don't want to spend money on amplification. That said I am pretty sure that the RA02 has a good headphone out. But check it out in the manual and see what the output is.

You will always get a better sound with an external amplifier. However your best going on head-fi.org to find out which one is in your price range. There are some cheap ones on ebay.

The HD600 goes for £150 on:- http://tinyurl.com/2kswvp

If you want to go they ebay route, then they have the model up, HD650 at £174.99 which is a bloody bargain. I am saving up for other stuff at the moment or i'd buy one! Make sure you use a nice connection from your soundcard to the amp when you do connect whichever headphone you buy, as the Senns pick up a lot of detail.

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

Thanks for that info! I have had the Grados before I got the HD485 and I do not like the Grado soundstage, it gave me fatigue after an hours listening whereas the Sennheiser soundstage is nigh on perfect. The comfort of the Grado line are also leave little to be desired but I will admit the sound detail and bass was outstanding. if only the soundstage and comfort were a little better (without having to modify them!)

The RA-02 does have a good headphone out, I thought the Kenwood I had before was excellent at powering both the Sennheiser and Grados but this is another level and I cannot put the dial above 9-olock without it being too loud for my ears to handle (but still no distortion at this level)

I will look at head-fi though as see what can be done :D

I have bought a Philips Interconnect cable to replace teh techlink one im currently using, fatter = better :)

mrk fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 28, 2007

phunkdust
Sep 12, 2006
pants included at no extra charge

wasp_f15ing posted:

Subwoofer: Yamaha YSTSW-800, whilst being stunning for movies this sub is crap for music. It is just far too powerful. The 800w/1000w power is just way too much for simple music listening. Even at 7 o'clock is way too loud (6 being 0) I am am after a REL sub for my next purchase.

Might be able to avoid that. Get some foam and stuff the port (I get those cheap foam camping mats for a couple of dollars and cut them to size, roll tightly, insert, they expand a little and seal the port) - should tighten the sub up a bit and reduce the volume somewhat.

You could also throw some attenuators in-line with the sub, 6dB should do

phunkdust fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 28, 2007

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

Pibborando I was thinking about what you said so today had a big shift around!

I need to get a 1.5metre desk though, 1 metre is too short and I can have the speakers wider apart with a larger desk!

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.

mrk posted:

Pibborando I was thinking about what you said so today had a big shift around!

I need to get a 1.5metre desk though, 1 metre is too short and I can have the speakers wider apart with a larger desk!

wow, impressive

joe87653
Jul 9, 2002

joe87653 fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 28, 2014

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

Nice, that blood red actually goes quite well with the mahogany coloured deskage, I like!

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Clean wiring job, like the TV mount and I have to say your desk looks kinda boss

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.
Nice NES collection! Here's mine:

Spybreak
Mar 22, 2005

Handle with care
Just moved in to a new appartment :)

Panasonic 42" Plasma
Yamaha YSP-1100 DSP
XBox 360 with HD-DVD addon
Wii

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Spent the better part of this weekend getting my "nerd cave" all set up, and I'm more than pleased with the results so far.

Sony 60" 1080p SXRD
JBL Venue series speakers
Harmony 880 and bluetooth mouse on table

Pioneer receiver
Scientific Atlanta 8300HD cable box (Time Warner)
Psyclone game switch
modded xbox for xbmc
xbox 360
modded ps2
wii

the thick rope of cables to the left runs to my PC

JBL surrounds, bookshelves, crappy couch which is next on my replacement list

Computer area. PC has an 8800gts and Turle Beach DDL sound card connected to main system via 50' DVI -> HDMI and Toslink cables.

Better shot of the behind the couch area.

Not pictured in all of this is a 12" JBL subwoofer that should be delivered today.

Edit: Sub just showed up, so one last pic

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 2, 2007

sl0hburn
Aug 3, 2006

I think fast track driving is a little like playing the bagpipes, you know, a gentleman can - but doesn't.
Finally got a better phone...err *camera* and got a decent shot. Cobbled together with a college students budget. Post earlier but can re-list the components. And yes that is a HTPC running everything.

Darw1N
Apr 28, 2004
I feel bad for some faggot that raped an old woman and beat her up with a crowbar. <3

I built the 1000 watt 15 inch subwoofer. =]

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Pics don't really do it justice, but I just moved into a new place and set this up.

This would be the central view, unfortunately I can't get a bigger one since I'd have to go through the wall behind me. Pic is taken from being sat on the couch.
The main items here would be:

-Samsung LNS4692D
-Sony 5.1 Home Theatre
-Gamecube
-PS2

This would be the left side. Note the laptop which essentially controls much of what's going on with the TV/home theatre system. With the flick of a button the laptop controls take over what's happening on the TV screen and can do whatever I want. It's a jukebox, it's a DVD player, it's a movie hub, it's a games machine, it's all kinds of incredible.
Also features a plant, because there's nothing wrong with owning a plant.

Finally the right side, with a better view of the DVD/Gamecube/PS2 combo, as well as a good look at the laptop that's hooked up to the TV. Eagle-eyed viewers will also spot a subwoofer, Guitar Hero 2 controller and this month's issue of Q...

All this is so much better when controlled from a massive L-shaped couch too.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
Nice use of those LED counter lights for ambient lighting! I use a pair of Halogens mounted in my speaker stands connected to an IR controlled dimmer. Works great. I really wish someone made some color cycling LED bars for use as AV ambient lighting.

joe87653
Jul 9, 2002

joe87653 fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 28, 2014

joe87653
Jul 9, 2002

joe87653 fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 28, 2014

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

I've always wanted to have a drywipe board too but cannot find one locally cheap enough at the right size :/

goat boy
Dec 28, 2006
I volunteered for Vietnam to get out of Alabama

mrk posted:

I've always wanted to have a drywipe board too but cannot find one locally cheap enough at the right size :/

Saw this on lifehacker a few days ago and I have been meaning to get around and build one.

http://lifehacker.com/software/weekend-project/gigantic-whiteboards-on-a-budget-273923.php

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

goat boy posted:

Saw this on lifehacker a few days ago and I have been meaning to get around and build one.

http://lifehacker.com/software/weekend-project/gigantic-whiteboards-on-a-budget-273923.php

Now there's an idea! if I can find a white panel or even a piece of perspex big enough I could make my own wall sized white board!

I'm going to be trawling local carboot sales and local places to see what I can find!

Thanks!

I've also had an idea to see if I can get a metal base of some kind so that I can also use it to pin up stashes of loose paper when needed like those magnetic whiteboards!

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Audio
Logitech Z-5300e 5.1 system

Video Displays
Mitsubishi HD1000 720p projector
BEHR SilverScreen 120" wall paintjob

Video Sources
Xbox 1 :)
Roommate's PC :downs:

We're only here for the summer, so we did a quick and dirty installation and setup. It's pretty awesome though.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

King Hotpants posted:

Exhibit A: A/V rack. From the top: Optoma H79 1280x720 DLP projector, Xbox360 (and wireless adapter), PS3, Oppo 971 DVD player, DVDO iScan VP50 video processor, Yamaha R-V1100 (I think) A/V receiver that is quite possibly older than me with a Minolta light meter sitting on top for no real reason. Not pictured: Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD player.

Exhibit B: Studiotek 130 100" 16:9 screen by Stewart and some Mitsubishi speakers that I picked up at a garage sale for $20.

EDIT: The Wii is downstairs on the main TV until my wireless sensor bar shows up.

My Optoma H79 lamp blew out, so I swapped it for a Sanyo PLV-Z5. I also added a Wii (thanks to a wireless sensor bar velcro'd to the bottom of the screen frame) and removed the DVD player in favor of using the HD DVD player or PS3 to upconvert. Now I have all three game systems and both HD formats on a 720p projector, and my audio system is still poo poo. :)

King Hotpants fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 9, 2007

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

Just a minor yay, I thought this would end up costing more but was lucky to get a last moment bid in and win at a super price of £8 !

Audiphile SA07 to bridge the preamp>poweramp on the NAD, there is slghtly more low range detail and bass punch over the Monster interlink 301 cable I used before whilst both offer more than the stock "Pins" nad use \m/

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

mrk posted:

Just a minor yay, I thought this would end up costing more but was lucky to get a last moment bid in and win at a super price of £8 !

Audiphile SA07 to bridge the preamp>poweramp on the NAD, there is slghtly more low range detail and bass punch over the Monster interlink 301 cable I used before whilst both offer more than the stock "Pins" nad use \m/

You have really good ears.

Modena
May 7, 2007

by Lowtax
Just finished mounting the RB3's to the wall in the new house. We moved a few weeks ago and I've been trying to get everything as well adjusted as possible. The family room is too damned small but I'm making it work. The rears aren't mounted yet, they will be ceiling mounted along with the projector.

My Elemental Designs A3-300 just came in, and is hanging out in a corner waiting to burst some tiles.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

Okay, old school audio.

Amp: Phase Linear 400 (Series I)
Preamp: Carver C-1
Speakers: Bozak Symphony 4000s
TV: Sony 51" HDTV (1080i)
XBOX softmodded for XBMC
Comcast HD box

I got a second system, but it isn't quite the same

Denon AVR-3200
KEF C10
Klipsch powered 10"
Optically connected to the computer with Envy24HT-S

Mysterious Aftertaste fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 15, 2007

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

Oh man, 2 things came in the mail today, Sennheiser HD555

And a set of NVA LS2 solid core speaker cables @ 3metres each and terminated by NVA

Today was an awesome day.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Modena posted:

Just finished mounting the RB3's to the wall in the new house. We moved a few weeks ago and I've been trying to get everything as well adjusted as possible. The family room is too damned small but I'm making it work. The rears aren't mounted yet, they will be ceiling mounted along with the projector.

My Elemental Designs A3-300 just came in, and is hanging out in a corner waiting to burst some tiles.

drat im always jealous of equipment racks that are just packed to the brim

looks like some monolith of home theater superiority.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

Modena posted:

sweet home theater set-up

Is that screen acoustically transparent or something?

Panoplied Platypus
Dec 21, 2005

Head-First into Glory!
I just set this up in the spare bedroom I've been using... McIntosh MA6100 driving the maggies.

Panoplied Platypus fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 26, 2007

Kinison Khan
Apr 14, 2006

From a hooker's heart I stab at thee...

MS Xbox w/320 Gig HD running XBMC
Sony DVD / VHS Deck
HTPC AMD64 X2 - 1 Gig Ram - 1.5 TB space, QAM Capture Card
Sony 7.1 Digital Surround Sound

Not Pictured: 42" LCD Hitachi 1080p. Cable Card, QAM, Etc.

I also have 3 additional PCs with a networked disc space of 1.6 TB. One of the PCs has a QAM Capture Card (Fusion RT Gold).

caldocane
Feb 25, 2006
Why we can’t have OTHER nice things:

TV-Mitsubishi Diamond 73” 1080P DLP (WD-73831)
Front/Center Speakers-Tannoy Sensys DC2/DCC
Surround- M&K Surround-55 MKII
Sub-Earthquake
Cable box-Retarded Comcast/Motorola HD/DVR.
Blu-Ray-Sony BDP-S300
HD DVD-Toshiba HD-A2
Power-Monster Power HTS 3500
Receiver-Onkyo Ingegra GTR 7.2
Console-Wii!!!!

COMING SOON-Harmony 890 or 1000 Universal remote, and either the Denon AVR-3808ci or the Onkyo TX-SR875 receiver to get my HDMI switching/HD audio on. Thinking of setting up an HTPC as well, due to above-mentioned retarded Comcast DVR.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Zvox 325 surround sound box
42" 1080p Vizio
Xbox 1.0 running XBMC
Xbox 360
Wii
Cablevision set top

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

caldocane posted:

Why we can’t have OTHER nice things:

Oh my gently caress. That's the biggest HD I've ever seen. Nice speakers too.

I'd put a rug down a couple feet in front of that stuff though, to reduce the first floor reflections from the speakers and improve the sound a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I need to throw something colorful in there.