Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Danzig
Mar 1, 2007

pimpology 101 posted:

Good god that Firebird is just beautiful. I always had a soft spot for the VII's.

Next week. I'm still torn between feeling guilty about it and giddy with anticipation but leaning more towards the latter. I had the guy pull it to make sure the finish was dark red and not the lighter more metallic red, cause I don't trust photos, and he said the case is really weird and cool too so I'll definitely post some pics next week when it shows up. :D

Gah... can't wait.

And, yeah, me too with the VII's. It's funny because I don't much like the Firebird shape with one or two pickups in it when there's a lot of wood showing, but as soon you slap the big 'lyre' taipiece and three buckers in 'em, they become the most beautiful guitars on the planet. Plus, I grew up on a lot of southern rock, so Firebirds just scream awesome to me cause I always have visions of Skynyrd and poo poo when I see them. Christ, I'm all worked up over here. Hah.

Lil Danzig fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 6, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spartak
May 12, 2007
what matters most is how well you walk through the fire

Lil Danzig posted:

Christ, I'm all worked up over here. Hah.

You should be, that is an incredibly beautiful guitar.

When I get some cash I'm thinking of picking up an Epiphone Thunderbird bass. Because I love the shape, and because they are going cheap at the moment.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Spartak posted:

You should be, that is an incredibly beautiful guitar.

When I get some cash I'm thinking of picking up an Epiphone Thunderbird bass. Because I love the shape, and because they are going cheap at the moment.

You can get a Clearance/Blemish Thunderbird IV bass at Musicians friend for $228.74: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Thunderbird-IV-Bass?sku=518391X

Aeon_
Jan 6, 2002

See you, space cowboy.
No pictures yet, but a preliminary look at the custom guitar I'm going to be building over the next few months:

-USACG Jazzmaster Alder body, rear routed
-cut for a Jazzmaster neck pickup, Telecaster bridge pickup and bridge assembly

Not sure what color I'm going to finish it in, or what sort of neck I want to put on it. I'll be sure to make a build thread when the materials start arriving here (about two weeks from now).

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Lil Danzig posted:

Welp. I went and did it. The backstory here, if you're curious, is that my company was recently acquired by a 'big name' and I ended up getting to cash in my stock options for a little chunk of change. After a week of debate, I decided that my happiness is worth a splurge, so I just got off the phone from ordering this:

Oh my dear lord, I cannot wait for it to show up. Drool.

Beauty. Sweetwater is cool and all, but if you aren't already aware, be prepared to get a phone call from them about every two weeks to a month to see if you want to buy anything else :)

It's no pressure at all, they just like to check in with you a lot.

Lil Danzig
Mar 1, 2007

3toes posted:

Beauty. Sweetwater is cool and all, but if you aren't already aware, be prepared to get a phone call from them about every two weeks to a month to see if you want to buy anything else :)

It's no pressure at all, they just like to check in with you a lot.

Yeah, I've done business with them before so I know how it goes. Honestly, I've been buying from the same dude there since I was 21 or so, so he tends to cut me pretty good deals on stuff. I got this for quite a bit lower than it was listed for, so it's worth the annoying calls. Unfortunately for these guys, though, purchases like this one are pretty few and far between for me. Heh. :D

sailorjosh
Apr 23, 2006

Peanut butter, mother fucker.
A hondo II les paul copy from the late 70's. It's a sweet guitar, The pickups are garbage and I will be replacing them. I paid like 100 bucks for it.

A Harmony from the 50's. It was given to my dad. It's pretty cool. There is something wrong with the electronics, and it has a wierd buzz at the bridge, but other than that it's fine. Need to clean the dirt of it though.

sailorjosh fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 9, 2007

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

my new Markbass amp. 500 watts, 7 pounds. I carry it to shows in my bag. Sounds amazing.

pedalboard from NYC Pedalboards. Hooray for convenience!

pimpology 101
Aug 6, 2006
Pimpin' ain't easy.

My first bass. It came in last night and I had plenty of fun learning the Seinfeld theme.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

sailorjosh posted:

A Harmony from the 50's... There is something wrong with the electronics...
Don't you dare pull out those pickups and replace them but if you do, send them to me. <:mad::fh:

Tek
Mar 18, 2004

It must be my birthday!

pimpology 101 posted:

My first bass. It came in last night and I had plenty of fun learning the Seinfeld theme.

nice dude, I got a red one myself the other day from a buddy. seems like a really good bass for the price.

I never thought of learning the seinfeld theme, awesome.

sailorjosh
Apr 23, 2006

Peanut butter, mother fucker.

Uncle Caveman posted:

Don't you dare pull out those pickups and replace them but if you do, send them to me. <:mad::fh:

haha I'm not replacing the pickups, I think some of the wiring just needs re-soldering

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

ScooterMcTiny posted:

You can get a Clearance/Blemish Thunderbird IV bass at Musicians friend for $228.74: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Thunderbird-IV-Bass?sku=518391X

I did not need to click that link. Goddamnit. :(

sizemon
Jun 16, 2003

Where would we be without vasoline?
My paycheck today included a few dollars for vacation pay, so I decided to put it to use all at once. I'm going to have loads of fun with this baby as my first effects processor. I didn't want to drop the same amount of money for only one effect since I'm still a novice, and it makes my Squire strat sound a lot better with a noise gate and such built into it already.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

zorander
Mar 27, 2004

GLASSES

AKG 271 Studio Headphones. To replace my 5-year old 240s that died.

I've never had an interface with "real" drivers before. It's dramatically worth it.

This is my first pseudo-analog toy. I'm going to reserve judgement for a few weeks (I've never met anyone who wasn't totally in love with a new piece of gear for at least a little while), but it's been a lot of fun so far.

I think I have an addiction.

Lil Danzig
Mar 1, 2007

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

I did not need to click that link. Goddamnit. :(

If they had that blue finish in stock that's pictured there, I don't think I'd be able to resist. Luckily for my wallet, it looks like just red and black at the moment.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

zorander posted:

This is my first pseudo-analog toy. I'm going to reserve judgement for a few weeks (I've never met anyone who wasn't totally in love with a new piece of gear for at least a little while), but it's been a lot of fun so far.

I think I have an addiction.

I like how it is called creamware because I would cream all over it.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

dancehall posted:

pedalboard from NYC Pedalboards. Hooray for convenience!

Nice pedalboard. I was wondering about your Sansamp, though. My brother got one of those not too long ago and has yet to really use it. Do you tend to use yours more for the overdrive capabilities, or mostly just for the DI?

I've been trying to get him to use it a little bit more - he likes a lot of treble in his mix, but with a fretless it can be a bit harder to get the clean tones - but he seems unwilling to take it gigging.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

Walter posted:

Nice pedalboard. I was wondering about your Sansamp, though. My brother got one of those not too long ago and has yet to really use it. Do you tend to use yours more for the overdrive capabilities, or mostly just for the DI?

Neither, especially. It's a tone shaping tool. It makes you sound like you're playing through a big tube amp, which entails a little breakup, but I don't think this is good to use as an overdrive stomp box. It changes your sound too radically -- I want a stompbox effect to add overdrive to my sound, not change it completely. The SABDDI is something you pretty much want to leave on, if you're going to use it.

It definitely seems to be best for rock music. It gives you a very heavy, edgy sound. I'd be reluctant too if I were your brother, because a mid bump is important to bring out the nuances of a fretless and to hear your intonation better, and the SABDDI takes out a lot of those frequencies in favor of others.

Daryl Fucking Hall
Feb 27, 2007

Daryl ohhhhhhhh Daryl
Sadly, I don't have pictures, but a friend of mine gave me his discount at the local music shop, and I picked up a nice Ibanez Tube Screamer and a Crybaby. This makes my setup (in order):
Fender American Stratocaster -> Tube Screamer -> Small Clone -> (Boss CE-20 sometimes) -> Crybaby -> Boss DD-6 -> Session Amps Sessionette 75

I'm very happy with it right now.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I've finally plucked up the courage, and spent the money that was reserved for carpeting my new flat on a Yamaha DGX-620 digital stage piano. gently caress the flooring... I made the right choice :)

Atomic Monkey
Jul 27, 2006

HIS AVATAR IS BEN AFFLECK BUT HIS NAME IS ATOMIC MONK.. OH WAIT, I GET IT
I bought a Jackson RR (JS30 model) guitar to replace my epiphone demon which seemingly has disappeared off the face of the planet. Im gonna put duncan JB/Jazz pickups in the guitar because the stock ones are horrible but otherwise i like it alot.
It's a pretty nice instrument all up for the cost (I got it for around 200 used and only damage was a small crack on the big wing).

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
uuunnnggggghhhh my Stambaugh finally came

:fap:

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

warwick5s posted:

uuunnnggggghhhh my Stambaugh finally came

:fap:

That's loving gorgeous dude, I want to lick the fretboard

Also what's up with the tuning machine on the low e?

MrWeight
Dec 9, 2006

by Ozma
What do all the knobs and buttons do?

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha

Engine Fortegue posted:

That's loving gorgeous dude, I want to lick the fretboard

Also what's up with the tuning machine on the low e?
I really have no idea but I'd guess it drop D's you.

Atomic Monkey
Jul 27, 2006

HIS AVATAR IS BEN AFFLECK BUT HIS NAME IS ATOMIC MONK.. OH WAIT, I GET IT
Dude, thats a pretty sweet bass if I do say so myself

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Came without a power supply so I have to contact all the dealers in Australia and ask if they can sell me one. As I bought it second hand I don't know if it was originally purchased here or overseas. The main distributor won't allow anyone to buy power supplies if they're purchased overseas because of the volume of people buying them there and the local dealers losing business. :(

having heaps of fun with this so far.

A classic

Something basic for now until I get the hang of things and require better equipment

titpussyasscum
Dec 2, 2004

every time i come here i get lost as fuck
I love these threads x3

warwick5s that bass looks like tits

atomic monkey i had a guitar disappear for no reason also

edit removed picture of laptop purchase because it doesnt make a very musicaly interesting picture

titpussyasscum fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 12, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Capitan Dad posted:

I really have no idea but I'd guess it drop D's you.

:black101: Drop A's me. :black101:

Knobs are neck volume, bridge volume, passive tone, treble, mid, bass
Switches are coil tap, mid shift, and active / passive.

I can't recommend Chris enough. $2000 and an 11 month wait for that, and getting a whole lot crazier wouldn't cost you that much more.

The_MeatOne
Dec 4, 2005

I just wanna touch you.
Just picked up a Carvin 4x10 bass cabinet from my sisters boyfriend, he had recently purchased a new cabinet and was using the 4x10 for practice. I got it from him in real good condition, it was just dirty and so I had to clean it up a little before using it but it sounds great! The best part is that he wanted to give it to me for free, He said "I never use it, it just sits in my basement so you can have it". I feel wierd about accepting something like that for free so I paid him about $150 for it because he said he didn't want to take anymore than that for it.

Daryl Fucking Hall
Feb 27, 2007

Daryl ohhhhhhhh Daryl
Have any of you guys seen the new special Fender that came out with the Roland synth pickup that changes tunings with the flick of a knob? That thing looks pretty tits.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

russia is HERE posted:

Have any of you guys seen the new special Fender that came out with the Roland synth pickup that changes tunings with the flick of a knob? That thing looks pretty tits.

There's one in this thread with mp3s recorded with the features and it sounds pretty drat awesome. Not envious of it in the slightest... :buddy:

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

keratas posted:

Came without a power supply so I have to contact all the dealers in Australia and ask if they can sell me one. As I bought it second hand I don't know if it was originally purchased here or overseas. The main distributor won't allow anyone to buy power supplies if they're purchased overseas because of the volume of people buying them there and the local dealers losing business. :(

Yeah it sucks hey. Maybe if they didn't mark stuff up so much people would buy off them more. I hear awave will generally match internet prices if you ring them up and hassle them.

For your power supply, http://www.oatleyelectronics.com/ or http://www.accesscomms.com.au/catalogcurrent/adaptor.htm will probably be able to sort you out.

Pod's are sweet too, I have a 2.0 as well. Can be a bit noisy but overall I really like mine.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

unixbeard posted:

Yeah it sucks hey. Maybe if they didn't mark stuff up so much people would buy off them more. I hear awave will generally match internet prices if you ring them up and hassle them.

For your power supply, http://www.oatleyelectronics.com/ or http://www.accesscomms.com.au/catalogcurrent/adaptor.htm will probably be able to sort you out.

Pod's are sweet too, I have a 2.0 as well. Can be a bit noisy but overall I really like mine.

Thanks for that help but I read that the Pods accept 1.2A minimum and 2A maximum when it comes to power, I'm not sure if 2.2A will blow it up to kingdom come, the 1A won't power it ive been told.

Occupy Japan
Feb 4, 2005

I've spent so much time clopping to fillies that my joints have locked up!

zorander posted:

I've never had an interface with "real" drivers before. It's dramatically worth it.

I've had my eye on a Firepod for a while now. Is it good? A little review would be very helpful. Thanks!

C.C.C.P.
Aug 26, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

w00trow wilson posted:

I've had my eye on a Firepod for a while now. Is it good? A little review would be very helpful. Thanks!

That was me. Bastard Mr. Wilson forgot to log off on my computer!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

keratas posted:

Thanks for that help but I read that the Pods accept 1.2A minimum and 2A maximum when it comes to power, I'm not sure if 2.2A will blow it up to kingdom come, the 1A won't power it ive been told.

A transformer's amp rating is the maximum it will put out, but it only puts out as much as needed.

:commissar:
(Formerly Colonial Air Force)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

warwick5s posted:

:black101: Drop A's me. :black101:

Knobs are neck volume, bridge volume, passive tone, treble, mid, bass
Switches are coil tap, mid shift, and active / passive.

I can't recommend Chris enough. $2000 and an 11 month wait for that, and getting a whole lot crazier wouldn't cost you that much more.

Huh, I've never seen coil-taps on soapbars before. Cool deal man, looks like it'll play awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

3toes posted:

Huh, I've never seen coil-taps on soapbars before. Cool deal man, looks like it'll play awesome.

They're dual coil Bart Classics. Not my favorite pickups in the world, but they'll do until the Nordstrand dual coils come in. :supaburn: