Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Revenant.Eagle posted:

Looking at kevlar reinforced jeans, and what the hell is the difference between the two:

http://www.dragginjeans.com/
http://www.dragginjeans.com.au/

Seems that the Australian site has different cuts that look alot more comfortable and like regular jeans. The price is pretty steep though.
Yeah, I've done a bit of looking around on both sites, and basically, the non-AU site has your basic jeans, and the AU one has a few different cuts/styles of jeans, as well as Khaki-style, zip-off pants, cargo pants and so forth. The shipping is moderately expensive ($30 to the east coast i think)..

There are a bunch of testimonials on the AU site.. and I think they'd handle alright if you hit the main covered areas (rear end, knees, etc).

I'm going to order a pair, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

BTW, thanks for the ideas for boots. I just haven't made up my mind what to get yet.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Great commuting/touring/over clothes/whatever gear:

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/

Don't mind the silly catalog models, they make some good, reasonably priced stuff and I haven't worn anything other than my Airglide jacket/pants since I got them.

I still have a leather 1pc for railin da twistiez and future track days but for everything else the olympia is awesome. The airglide I have is probably a little less protective than a Roadcrafter from 'Stich, but it cost around half as much and in my opinion it's much more useful for hot weather (removable liners are great, just don't get stuck without them in the rain...).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

pr0zac posted:

I think a lot of us are looking for something to wear around town and not have to carry when we get to our destination. When I ride to class I have to carry my gear around campus for 4 hours (leave helmet and gloves locked to bike) and so I wear jeans. Carrying my pants around also is just not feasible, people already get annoyed at me enough as it is for taking up an extra seat with my jacket. Having something more protective than jeans that are still comfortable to wear all day is the goal, one textile overpants don't meet. I don't think anyone asking about kevlar jeans is planning on riding at 80mph in them and expecting protection at the level of full gear, just an improved amount of abrasion protection at 30-40 mph around town.

I had the same problem...Then i realized that the kevlar jeans i had were cut funny and looked funny and felt funny when i was walking around campus. Couple that with the "pouch" on the knees for the hard armor and they just weren't very comfortable off the bike. I haven't used draggin jeans, and they may be cut better, but if i were to do it all over again, I'd just pick up some offroad knee braces and wear those under my pants, considering when i went down at 35 that was the only thing that took significant damage.

Furthermore, unless you like wearing the same pants every day, you're going to need a couple pairs to wear them regularly. That adds up to the point where i just figured i'd take my chances with my jacket, gloves, helmet, boots, and if i got some rash on my knees, oh well. In retrospect, i should have picked up some knee guards and just worn them under my jeans, and i'll probably pick up a set for riding from here on out as soon as i have some free cash.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 13, 2007

Juneau
Dec 18, 2006
Please do me in the butt, big daddy!
I just got my new helmet in the mail from ebay. It was sent via USPS from North Carolina to LA, so it was no surprise when the box was pretty beat up. It looks just as bad from the other side. Notice the helmet shaped bulge.

What was a surprise was that the helmet was packed in the box with no protection other than the helmet bag. I am one of the least confrontational people I know, so I'm really just posting to have someone tell me that it was ok for me to ask the seller to let me return it for a refund. I realize that shipping errors are the fault of USPS and not the shipper, but for Christ's sake you're sending a helmet (something that should be replaced even after a single solid drop) via USPS across the country. Anyone who has ever received a package through USPS knows that the box WILL look like it's been thrown, dropped, kicked, and run over by the truck a few times. :argh: I'm mostly pissed because I was so excited about coming home to my helmet today...

/rantoff

EDIT: grammar

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
That sucks. :( You're right in trying to return it for refund, goddamn. I sure wouldn't wear it.

-----

Speaking of, I bought an HJC CL-15 today, in silver. And a tinted visor, and a "Halo" thing, which is a reflective neoprene band that you put around the base of your helmet. I like visibility.

The silver of the helmet matches my scooter drat near perfetly :3:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

I had the same problem...Then i realized that the kevlar jeans i had were cut funny and looked funny and felt funny when i was walking around campus. Couple that with the "pouch" on the knees for the hard armor and they just weren't very comfortable off the bike. I haven't used draggin jeans, and they may be cut better, but if i were to do it all over again, I'd just pick up some offroad knee braces and wear those under my pants, considering when i went down at 35 that was the only thing that took significant damage.

Furthermore, unless you like wearing the same pants every day, you're going to need a couple pairs to wear them regularly. That adds up to the point where i just figured i'd take my chances with my jacket, gloves, helmet, boots, and if i got some rash on my knees, oh well. In retrospect, i should have picked up some knee guards and just worn them under my jeans, and i'll probably pick up a set for riding from here on out as soon as i have some free cash.

I've just decided I write code for a living so I don't need my legs. I really should get some knee guards for riding to class I guess considering how screwed up my knees already are from skating as a kid.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 14, 2007

Juneau
Dec 18, 2006

Juneau posted:

Helmet whine

Hey I got a message from the seller saying it was ok to send it back for a refund :awesome: I wonder if she will try to resell it...

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Juneau posted:

Hey I got a message from the seller saying it was ok to send it back for a refund :awesome: I wonder if she will try to resell it...

Put a sticker hidden on the inside that says "Hey, I bought this helmet and it was beat to poo poo by USPS, if you are reading this return it!"

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

Juneau posted:

I know it this sounds like an extra bit of hastle, but it would have been worth the $20 to ship out to Shoei for a once-over. I had a minor getoff where my helmet impacted grass at low speed, and I sent it out to Shoei for inspection. It came back under a week later (free return shipping) with an A-OK letter saying it was safe to wear. Some hospitals will also do X-rays to see if the shell and EPS liner are intact. YMMV with the later.

Juneau
Dec 18, 2006

Revenant.Eagle posted:

I know it this sounds like an extra bit of hastle, but it would have been worth the $20 to ship out to Shoei for a once-over. I had a minor getoff where my helmet impacted grass at low speed, and I sent it out to Shoei for inspection. It came back under a week later (free return shipping) with an A-OK letter saying it was safe to wear. Some hospitals will also do X-rays to see if the shell and EPS liner are intact. YMMV with the later.

Wow that's good to know for the future. However, I guess ultimately I'm cheap. I'm paying for return shipping to the seller anyways. That means I'm paying the $20 to ship once regardless. I guess if it's ok, I save the hassle of acquiring another new helmet (I'm borrowing a friend's right now--he's one of those helmet hoarders who buys new ones just cuz he likes the design more), but if it's not ok, I end up having to fork out an additional $20 to ship it back to the seller. Nonetheless, I'll definitely keep this in mind with my next helmet :)

EDIT: Ok, after trying on the helmet again, and pretty much falling in love with it (it's Shoei's RF-1000 Pink Flutter), I've decided I'll get the inspection.

Juneau fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 15, 2007

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
My gear came in today, I'm pretty stoked. All that's left is to get a bike, which should be handled by the end of the week(more on that possibly tomorrow evening)

The ensemble:

Vemar VSR helmet - I've actually had this for about 3 years now. Does anyone know where the hell I can get Vemar visors? The only distributor they have in North America is in Canada, which leads me to believe that the company my friend used to work for when he got me this thing went tits up

SetUp Vision boots:

Shift Dyer gloves:

What up.

Don't ask about the shades. It felt like a brilliant idea at the time.

I'm happy with how the jacket feels, nice and snug. A little loose in the belly - seems like its cut for guys with beer guts instead of skinny fuckers like me. I know there's no pants - I'm still sorting that situation out. Probably going to order some inexpensive mesh pants for commuting and then a proper set of leather ones later on when I have more money to work with.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I don't wear my leather pants when I ride into work and I don't think I'm going to start soon. As a consiquence, I don't ride into work that often. I was looking at some knee armor to wear under my jeans and it's shocking affordable. Any opinions on this stuff?

Alpinestars Reflex Knee Guards

Magwai
Aug 16, 2002
Snail Priest

Uthor posted:

I don't wear my leather pants when I ride into work and I don't think I'm going to start soon. As a consiquence, I don't ride into work that often. I was looking at some knee armor to wear under my jeans and it's shocking affordable. Any opinions on this stuff?

Alpinestars Reflex Knee Guards

I don't know about that particular one. One of my friends was complaining about some similar knee armor sliding around. With that picture I don't know how bad any sliding would really be though. Depending on how high your boots are I would expect them to help make sure it doesn't slide down too far.

I have some Dainese underpants that have the Knee Armor and Hip Armor and I love it ( However I cannot find a link for it to save my life, I bought it at Cycle Gear ). It is basically a thin mesh with lots of breathing holes and pouches for the armor. Still a tad hot in 100 degree weather, but I think Im hosed there any way I go about it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Magwai posted:

I don't know about that particular one. One of my friends was complaining about some similar knee armor sliding around. With that picture I don't know how bad any sliding would really be though. Depending on how high your boots are I would expect them to help make sure it doesn't slide down too far.

I don't think my boots are tall enough to stop that. It looks like a strap above the knee would help a lot.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Uthor posted:

I don't think my boots are tall enough to stop that. It looks like a strap above the knee would help a lot.

The biggest issue isn't impact protection its abrasion protection.

I'm in the same boat as you. I don't wear moto pants when commuting, but I ride pretty much everyday. I just can't find overpants that are worth a poo poo.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

redscare posted:

My gear came in today, I'm pretty stoked. All that's left is to get a bike, which should be handled by the end of the week(more on that possibly tomorrow evening)

Don't ask about the shades. It felt like a brilliant idea at the time.

Sunglasses + helmet + accident == cuts and black eyes.

I should know, i dragged a friend's bike out of the barbed wire yesterday and he was fine except for a massive gash on his forehead from his glasses (which didn't break). A friend of mine who rides with big, aviator style sunglasses under his helmet went down and got a huge shiner when they went into his face. Don't wear sunglasses and a helmet, if the lenses were to shatter you could say hello to cut eyes. Bad news. Just thought i'd mention this, as wearing sunglasses took what would have been a non-injury, 30mph lowside into a barbed wire fence from no injuries at all to a trip to the ER to get 8 or so stitches. Just buy the tinted visor. I'd check ebay, as vemar isn't exactly the most common helmet maker. Aren't they like, HJC knockoffs or something?

(Obviously, he had full gear on, and was lucky as hell he didn't get hurt otherwise. A* boots, teknic 2 piece, zipped together (important), HJC helmet, teknic gloves)

On knee armor, abrasion protection is what i'd be looking for, so something that had at least an over and under strap setup. If it slides off or to the side it's useless. On the flip side, in an accident you want to tuck all your parts in and try and roll if you don't have good abraision protection on, so they'd be taking random, rolling hits, not a impact+ slide. Either way, i'd prefer to have them very, very secure.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 20, 2007

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I don't think you should even bother with silly knee guards if you aren't wearing something that has some abrasion resistance. Chances are you'll slide on your hip areas as well during a crash, and you won't have any protection there.

In regard to wearing sunglasses under a helmet, I've never heard anyone say not to do it. If anything sunglasses may act as additional eye protection in situations where your visor fails.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

n8r posted:

I don't think you should even bother with silly knee guards if you aren't wearing something that has some abrasion resistance. Chances are you'll slide on your hip areas as well during a crash, and you won't have any protection there.

In regard to wearing sunglasses under a helmet, I've never heard anyone say not to do it. If anything sunglasses may act as additional eye protection in situations where your visor fails.

Had i been wearing knee guards in my last 35mph get off, i would have walked away with a tiny scrape on my side and some light bruising. Obviously, this is far from empirical evidence that knee guards are going to save your knees. But for me, more protection is always a good thing, especially convienent and cheap inconspicuous stuff, and they would have prevented me from hobbling around for a week like an invalid.

On the sunglasses thing...it's not going to be every crash that it happens. But it can and will happen if you're shoving them into a full face helmet, especially when your visor fails and poo poo comes through and breaks the glasses, or if it's loose enough for them to move around a bit. Ideally, though, you'd buy a helmet that the visor is not going to fail on, which is why i'm buying a Shark RSX. Their visor attachment system is amazing, not to mention the super thick/flexible visors, which you can bend them back on themselves and they won't shatter. The visor failed on my friend's helmet when he went into the barbed wire, and the glasses were apparently pulled out of his helmet a bit and then when he hit the ground the helmet shoved them into his head. Crazy poo poo happens in accidents, and even if your visor does fail, the chances of your sunglasses saving your eyes and not just making poo poo worse seem pretty minimal. Furthermore, expecting them to actually stay in place in case of an accident seems pretty absurd as well. If the visor, which is built into the helmet is ripped off, the chances of sunglasses staying in place seem pretty minimal. I don't think most people actually use shatter resistant sunglasses anyways, adding to the safety concerns.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
In a typical lowside situation one of your main points of contact is going to be your rear end/hip area. Obviously there are situations where if you have something like those shin guards they will help, but there are many that it won't. Frankly, a pair of overpants will be just as quick to put on and a lot safer. If someone wants to wear them, fine, but I don't think they should convince themselves they are wearing an appropriate amount of protection.

Actually I believe most sunglasses are quite shatter proof. I know Oakley and other brands like to brag about how their lenses can resist a shotgun shot.

Basically, you're citing two anecdotal situations that happen to support your claim. Frankly, I think there could be just as many anecdotal situations where knee guards don't do poo poo, or sunglasses save you from getting your eye gouged out. If knee guards were so awesome you'd see all sorts of people wearing them. If glasses/sunglasses were so horrible you wouldn't have helmet makers designing slots in their helmets so they can slide in easily.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

n8r posted:

In a typical lowside situation one of your main points of contact is going to be your rear end/hip area. Obviously there are situations where if you have something like those shin guards they will help, but there are many that it won't. Frankly, a pair of overpants will be just as quick to put on and a lot safer. If someone wants to wear them, fine, but I don't think they should convince themselves they are wearing an appropriate amount of protection.

Actually I believe most sunglasses are quite shatter proof. I know Oakley and other brands like to brag about how their lenses can resist a shotgun shot.

Basically, you're citing two anecdotal situations that happen to support your claim. Frankly, I think there could be just as many anecdotal situations where knee guards don't do poo poo, or sunglasses save you from getting your eye gouged out. If knee guards were so awesome you'd see all sorts of people wearing them. If glasses/sunglasses were so horrible you wouldn't have helmet makers designing slots in their helmets so they can slide in easily.

Helmet makers are designing slots in their helmets so that sunglasses can slide in? I've never heard of something like that, do you have a link or the like? The only things i can find on google are links to "free patent" type sites. I've seen helmets that are too loose that people fit sunglasses into, or ones that have pads happen to sit in a place that allows glasses, but i've never seen a helmet or helmet maker that encouraged doing something like this, or advertised this as a feature.

Yes, all i have is anecdotal situations...those happen to be the only situations where people i know have crashed and been wearing sunglasses, and it turned out badly. It makes sense that it would turn out badly though, given that you are, in essence, slamming your head into the ground. Having something there that's not padded or soft is going to suck.

Yes, people take damage to the hips as well, the point is: It's possible to have inconspicous armor that doesn't make you look like MC Hammer. Are textiles better? Yes. Is leather even better? Yes. But, I like to be able to walk around without getting stared at too much, or sounding like i'm wearing snow pants at work or school, or having to worry about where i'm going to stash a full suit of gear. On top of that, if you look at the construction of a modern suit, there's minimal protection (padding, or CE hard armor) in the hip areas. The knee/elbow areas, on the other hand, are heavily protected. This seems to indicate the importance of protecting the joints in an accident, especially the knees, elbows, wrists, and ankles. Knowing how to fall can help prevent damage to some of them, but if you're rolling down the street, you're going to scrape anything that sticks out, and typically that's your knees, elbows, hands, and feet. Your hips very well may take damage, depending on how you fall. However, that doesn't seem to be the direction that safety equipement makers take. If they did, we'd have some sort of form fitted hip guards made out of that memory foam stuff or some sort of CE armor.

There's a difference between "Shatter proof" and the rating that "approved motorcycle safety wear" is supposed to have. I didn't bother looking into it as i ride with a full face helmet and visor that's appropriate to the time of day. I can easily stash a visor in the back of the 929 or into a tankbag or the like. Visors may come off helmets, but they very rarely shatter or turn into metal frames that can gouge your face. That would be my concern in an accident, a piece of metal or plastic frame/arm that's being shoved into the side of your head or your face. If you don't feel that way, wonderful. But in my experience, it seems that sunglasses cause more problems then they protect against. As no one ever seems to talk about this, i felt it was worth mentioning.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 20, 2007

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

So, if I'm not supposed to wear sunglasses, how do I keep from being blind during the day and seeing at night or vice versa? If I get a tinted visor, I can't wear it at night, so am I supposed to carry my clear visor and stop at sundown and switch them?

Sunglasses just seem so much more convenient.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

n8r posted:

I'm not convincing myself of anything. I know leathers would be better, but I don't wear mine to work. I wear my overpants when it gets cold, but it's too hot these days for them, and maybe it's because they are heavy leather, but they take forever to put on and suck walking more than directly to the bike and back. I could get some mesh overpants, but that's another $125 and another thing to carry around. I'm willing to go with the knee armor for $25 if it's not completely useless. It'd be better than just jeans.

Cuchulainn
May 19, 2007
It's like hide and seek, only with guns.

Doctor Zero posted:

So, if I'm not supposed to wear sunglasses, how do I keep from being blind during the day and seeing at night or vice versa? If I get a tinted visor, I can't wear it at night, so am I supposed to carry my clear visor and stop at sundown and switch them?

Yes.

If you can't deal with a tinted shield at night, most helmets take 30 seconds to switch visors.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Cuchulainn posted:

Yes.

If you can't deal with a tinted shield at night, most helmets take 30 seconds to switch visors.

It's not hard, no, but it's more like how the gently caress do I keep it in my saddlebags without loving it up into uselessness.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Doctor Zero posted:

It's not hard, no, but it's more like how the gently caress do I keep it in my saddlebags without loving it up into uselessness.
That's the problem I have, as well, and I don't have the added benefit of saddlebags either.

My current situation is that I don't ride during that transitional time. Basically, I plan my biking such that I'll be home before my tinted visor is starting to be a problem.

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST

Doctor Zero posted:

You can always keep it in the helmet bag and put it in the bike trunk. Of course, I can't do this cause my bike trunk can only fit some sunglasses and a pack of cigarettes. That's it.

I did find somethign online that you could put an extra visor in and it slings around your shoulder and goes under your jacket.

Cedhed
Feb 27, 2006
Whee!
I have no choice but to wear glasses, and most helmets seem designed to accommodate this. I've never heard it advertised but I've also never had an issue slipping my glasses on.

If helmets are not designed to accommodate people who are forced to wear glasses I would say it is a huge failing of the helmet industry. Many riders need to wear glasses to see and there is a decent percentage that cannot or does not wear contacts. And to just ignore those riders safety is unthinkable.

That said the time I put my helmet to the test I suffered no injury from my glasses, my watch on the other hand left a pretty big scar on my wrist. Take that however you will.

Juneau
Dec 18, 2006

Cedhed posted:

I have no choice but to wear glasses, and most helmets seem designed to accommodate this. I've never heard it advertised but I've also never had an issue slipping my glasses on.

If helmets are not designed to accommodate people who are forced to wear glasses I would say it is a huge failing of the helmet industry. Many riders need to wear glasses to see and there is a decent percentage that cannot or does not wear contacts. And to just ignore those riders safety is unthinkable.

That said the time I put my helmet to the test I suffered no injury from my glasses, my watch on the other hand left a pretty big scar on my wrist. Take that however you will.

Yea, all this talk of sunglass dangers had me worried about wearing my glasses. I mean, I can't see without them, so obviously I would wear them, but I was still a little freaked out.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Cedhed posted:

Lee Parks talks about this in total control...now that i think about it, that's the only place that springs to mind where it was mentioned. Maybe in sport riding techniques as well...but lee parks was saying that he went in to surgery as a result of the dangers of riding with glasses, not to mention the issues with fogging. My friend who was learning how to ride started wearing contacts only when he was riding out of concern for this, not to mention the potential vision issues associated with wearing glasses (Getting moved around, frames blocking sight lines, etc). I stopped wearing sunglasses after i found that they'd move up and down in the helmet, making it difficult to see in some situations.

Not wearing glasses is the ideal for many reasons, as when you're talking about riding a motorcycle, your vision is very, very important. Anything that can obscure or block your vision should be done away with as quickly as possible. If you don't have an alternative to wearing glasses, there are a couple of companies out there that do use shatter proof, motorcycle specific glasses, with soft linings around the frames in case of an accident and to help them stay in place, and can order them with your corrective lenses built in.

Furthermore, a well fitted helmet should cause difficulty when it comes to getting glasses into them, if they have anything but very narrow or small arms. When it comes down to it, there is a significant potential for severe damage to the head and face when you've got a piece of metal and plastic shoved into your helmet, which will move around when you get into an accident, and could shove the arms or frames of the glasses into your face. Apparently shattering is less of a concern, as the glasses in my friend's accident didn't shatter, but did gouge the hell out of his face.

On the concerns of visors...

I have a dark tint shield. I love it because it's like wearing sunglasses. I can ride directly into the sun with minimal discomfort. I can't imagine riding without it for dusk/dawn riding. My g/f has a light tint on her scorpion and can ride with that without any issues during the day or during the night, however: A visor will slip around the side of your waist in your jacket almost unnoticeably. They make little visor holder things that you can wear under your jacket, if you don't have a tankbag or a place for it on your bike. Obviously, the ideal solution is to wear a clear visor at night and a tinted one during the day. The swap is easy and storing a visor is easy, if you wear a jacket or have a tankbag.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

If you don't have an alternative to wearing glasses, there are a couple of companies out there that do use shatter proof, motorcycle specific glasses, with soft linings around the frames in case of an accident and to help them stay in place, and can order them with your corrective lenses built in.

Do you have a name or a link? I'm not exactly about to run out and spend a couple hundred on new glasses, but I may in the future.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

with regards to glasses/sunglasses when riding, I don't see a problem even if there is a minor risk of damage. I ride with sunglasses when I wear my contacts because I haven't bought a tinted visor yet, but often I will ride with just my prescription glasses for any number of reasons. If I had a tinted visor, I would ride almost exclusively with my prescription glasses. Some people commute without riding pants, some people wear glasses. If a foreign object is hitting you with enough force to shatter both your visor and your sunglasses, your flimsy eyelids aren't going to offer enough resistance to prevent it from burying itself in the back of your brain. I wouldn't worry about it, but if you are I guess you'll have to spring for laser surgery. I hope to get some of that done in the near future but more for convenience than anything else.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
I must disagree with you on a few points here...

Z3n posted:

Lee Parks talks about this in total control...now that i think about it, that's the only place that springs to mind where it was mentioned.
Anecdotal evidence in this case is moot, scientific evidence is strongly preferred. If your glasses are moving around that much, you should get them checked out. Mine fit fine and rarely if ever move when I'm riding.

quote:

Not wearing glasses is the ideal for many reasons, as when you're talking about riding a motorcycle, your vision is very, very important. Anything that can obscure or block your vision should be done away with as quickly as possible. If you don't have an alternative to wearing glasses, there are a couple of companies out there that do use shatter proof, motorcycle specific glasses, with soft linings around the frames in case of an accident and to help them stay in place, and can order them with your corrective lenses built in.[quote] While I agree that vision is vital, to buy glasses specifically for motorcycling seems a bit much, and more likely than not out of the budget of many new drivers. If your glasses don't fit, get a new pair that does, they shouldn't be sliding around on your face as it is!

[quote]Furthermore, a well fitted helmet should cause difficulty when it comes to getting glasses into them, if they have anything but very narrow or small arms. When it comes down to it, there is a significant potential for severe damage to the head and face when you've got a piece of metal and plastic shoved into your helmet, which will move around when you get into an accident, and could shove the arms or frames of the glasses into your face. Apparently shattering is less of a concern, as the glasses in my friend's accident didn't shatter, but did gouge the hell out of his face.
All the lids I've tried on have no problems getting my glasses inside too. I've fitted HJC's, Shoei's etc, and they all fit my glasses (and my head). I would think contacts to be just as dangerous as glasses, especially if you have your vents open! If one wrong puff of air gets into your eyes, there's a chance that your lenses could 1. roll behind your eyelids, rendering you blind, or 2. get a bit of sand or dust etc between your lens and your eye, also rendering you blind. In either case (contacts or glasses), there is a risk, but if anything happens to your lenses, you have to pull over to fix it, glasses or otherwise. I have no comments on sunglasses though, because I can't wear them (and also I have a tinted visor which works wonders, and is cheaper than Rx sunglasses).

quote:

On the concerns of visors...
I totally agree with all this stuff. :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Uthor posted:

Do you have a name or a link? I'm not exactly about to run out and spend a couple hundred on new glasses, but I may in the future.

Bunch of links here:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/visors/

quote:

Anecdotal evidence in this case is moot, scientific evidence is strongly preferred. If your glasses are moving around that much, you should get them checked out. Mine fit fine and rarely if ever move when I'm riding.

Well, ok. Unfortunantly, there is no scientific evidence here. Just what i observed and have talked to other riders about in the last couple of days. The consensus is among about 20 riders that most don't wear glasses, and out of the 2 that do, one had just crashed and had stitches, and the other had gotten a massive black eye from having the frames shoved into his face. None of the other riders wore glasses regularly, and none of them had ever crashed with them in.

quote:

While I agree that vision is vital, to buy glasses specifically for motorcycling seems a bit much, and more likely than not out of the budget of many new drivers. If your glasses don't fit, get a new pair that does, they shouldn't be sliding around on your face as it is!

You buy motorcycle specific helmets with motorcycle specific visors, why not the same for eyewear? I think that some of those are designed more for use with open face helmets, but if i had to wear glasses, the problem isn't really with the lenses shattering, it's with the frame/arms being shoved into your face.

quote:

All the lids I've tried on have no problems getting my glasses inside too. I've fitted HJC's, Shoei's etc, and they all fit my glasses (and my head). I would think contacts to be just as dangerous as glasses, especially if you have your vents open! If one wrong puff of air gets into your eyes, there's a chance that your lenses could 1. roll behind your eyelids, rendering you blind, or 2. get a bit of sand or dust etc between your lens and your eye, also rendering you blind. In either case (contacts or glasses), there is a risk, but if anything happens to your lenses, you have to pull over to fix it, glasses or otherwise. I have no comments on sunglasses though, because I can't wear them (and also I have a tinted visor which works wonders, and is cheaper than Rx sunglasses).

I was not aware of those potential problems with contacts, but my friend who rides with contacts has never mentioned issues with that. For him, fogging was a big issue with his glasses, as well as visibility issues due to the frames. Contacts resolved both of these issues. Furthermore, I get crap in my eyes (most recently, ash from the fires over SB), and being slightly blinded by that for a couple of seconds isn't the end of the world. If you had to, you could pull over with visibility only in one eye. Fogging issues, when i've run into them with sunglasses on when i started riding, were pretty drat debilitating, as i lost vision in both eyes at the same time and couldn't see at all.

clockworkzero posted:

with regards to glasses/sunglasses when riding, I don't see a problem even if there is a minor risk of damage. I ride with sunglasses when I wear my contacts because I haven't bought a tinted visor yet, but often I will ride with just my prescription glasses for any number of reasons. If I had a tinted visor, I would ride almost exclusively with my prescription glasses. Some people commute without riding pants, some people wear glasses. If a foreign object is hitting you with enough force to shatter both your visor and your sunglasses, your flimsy eyelids aren't going to offer enough resistance to prevent it from burying itself in the back of your brain. I wouldn't worry about it, but if you are I guess you'll have to spring for laser surgery. I hope to get some of that done in the near future but more for convenience than anything else.

Now that I look at it more carefully the issue isn't them shattering, it's that you have a plastic and metal assembly that's between your helmet and your head. I assumed when he crashed that his lenses had shattered and cut him, but what had actually happened is when he lowsided, the glasses were pushed up on his face by his helmet, and then when he hit is head again, the helmet shoved the glasses into his eyebrow, causing an inch long gash, requiring a number of stitches. Had he not had his sunglasses on, there wouldn't have been need for the ER trip, as he didn't hit his head that hard. (No signs of shock/head trauma. Helmet was in good shape besides the blood splattered all over the inside from the cut on his head. EMT in our riding group checked him over and he was fine besides the cuts on his face/forehead) I should also note that he was wearing wire rimmed glasses, which probably contributed to the cut.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Maybe its just the weather here, but I've never had problems with my glasses fogging. My visor has fogged before, but never my lenses. Meh. :)

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

I'm not sure if it's because I rode for the first time today with honest-truth earplugs or what, but my helmet seems REALLY loud from the wind noise lately, and moreso in one ear than the other. Are the pads in my helmet settling in? I almost think I might have gotten a helmet one size too big.

Guess I'm kinda stuck riding with plugs from now on. :(

To be honest though, I'm kinda glad, as I honestly have been having kind of muddled hearing after a bit of sport last week.

Cedhed
Feb 27, 2006
Whee!
It's potentially a risk I guess. But that's not going to stop me from riding with my glasses. There really is no other way for me to see, I'm outside the limits of corneal thickness for RK and contacts are a very poor solution given my eye shape. So I'll stick with my glasses and not worry about it.'

They have anti fog coatings for glasses and my glasses take a great deal longer to fog than my visor does. On my HJC the chin vent seems aimed right up my glasses so they clear quickly and stay clear. And the frames on my glasses are very very thin. I would say I lose more visual range to the sides of the helmet or a bug on my visor than I do to the thin frames I use.

Also the frames are extremely flexible. They would be unlikely to break and more likely to bend. And the lenses are shatter resistant.

Frankly given what what is being said, my glasses would be no less of a risk in my car when the airbag goes off.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Seeing how everybody was against me getting just knee armor, does anyone have an opinion on Joe Rocket Phoenix 2.0 Mesh Overpants? I have the mesh jacket that I'm not too happy with, but mostly because it's way too big on me. However, I have some Joe Rocket leather pants I really like and these seem to be decent overpants for warm/hot weather.

What I'm wondering is how light are they. I don't want another heavy pair of overpants. Weight is the reason I don't like wearing my leather ones. I also don't like the 8" zipper vs. a full circumference zipper, but it'll attach to my jacket without modification.

The textile pants are supposedly for cooler weather, so I'm not interested in those.

Man, I really don't want to spend another $130.

spacepirate
Feb 7, 2005
Yarr mateys!

Cedhed posted:

It's potentially a risk I guess. But that's not going to stop me from riding with my glasses. There really is no other way for me to see, I'm outside the limits of corneal thickness for RK and contacts are a very poor solution given my eye shape. So I'll stick with my glasses and not worry about it.'

They have anti fog coatings for glasses and my glasses take a great deal longer to fog than my visor does. On my HJC the chin vent seems aimed right up my glasses so they clear quickly and stay clear. And the frames on my glasses are very very thin. I would say I lose more visual range to the sides of the helmet or a bug on my visor than I do to the thin frames I use.

Also the frames are extremely flexible. They would be unlikely to break and more likely to bend. And the lenses are shatter resistant.

Frankly given what what is being said, my glasses would be no less of a risk in my car when the airbag goes off.

What about overpants for skinny tall guys, I have a 34-36 inche inseam. So far I have had no luck finding anything that stands a chance of fitting. In the mean time I have draggin' jeans I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.
I am preparing to buy a bike again after a two year hiatus. This will also be my first non-cruiser. I'll be using my old gear, which I've been really happy with.

When I bought my first bike a few years ago I also picked up a PowerTrip "Top Gas" jacket. It's comfortable, breathes well, and offered in perf and non-perf versions. Power Trip's sizing is all over the place (my 3x fits fine, and is larger than a friend's 5x. I can't put both arms in a 2x it's so small). After a few months of riding the main zipper broke, but Power Trip shipped me a complete replacement jacket at no cost. Needless to say, I was impressed.

I've never had need to test the helmet, so I can't vouch for it's saftey. It's comfortable though, and though I know some people disklike it the flip-face works for me.

Power Trip "Top Gas" Jacket

Nolan N100E Flip-Face Helmet