Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Durkon should be high enough to cast resurrection

resurrection posted:

The condition of the remains is not a factor. So long as some small portion of the creature’s body still exists, it can be resurrected, but the portion receiving the spell must have been part of the creature’s body at the time of death. (The remains of a creature hit by a disintegrate spell count as a small portion of its body.) The creature can have been dead no longer than 10 years per caster level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

^^^ drat you, thats what I get for taking the time to find my PHB. :argh:

Your basic Raise Dead is limited to 1 day past death per caster level, which means that he's way past that. Its Cleric 5 so Durkon could cast it. The other choices are Resurrection and True Resurrection, both of which could bring Roy back at this point (the former as long as they still have part of his body, the latter regardless). Problem is that they are 7 and 9 level spells, which probably puts them out of Durkon's reach (I think the PCs are ~10? He'd need to be 13 for Resurrection)

There are probably other options, yea, but those are the most straightforward, and it means that things don't look that great for Roy. On the other hand, I guess that Durkon could have gained a level or two in that amount of time....

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
The party are all higher than 10, according to the OOTS forums, Durkon is supposed to be 13, so he can do resurrection.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.
I think the telling point is that it never once occurred to him that the others might have failed and be dead too, much less that he wasn't getting raised.

Man, he must have been playing blocks for a week.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

gothfae posted:

I think the telling point is that it never once occurred to him that the others might have failed and be dead too, much less that he wasn't getting raised.

Man, he must have been playing blocks for a week.

Calling next week's episode of "Traveling to the Upper Planes for Dummies": time moves faster than you think! :downs:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

gothfae posted:

Isn't Durkon LG too though?
I know the others are Chaotic and/or Not Good, but Durkon seemed to be of the Lawful Good persuasion to me.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Haley and Belkar are probably stuck in Azure city with Roy's corpse either waiting for everyone's favorite androgynous elf to contact them but Xykon has the entire city cut off magically or they are trapped there because Xykon's spell seals the city physically.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Oct 25, 2007

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I love grandpa's pride that Roy has made it as a single-classed fighter, like him. Makes perfect sense that a grizzled old-timer has no time for faggotty prestige classes or minmaxing.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

FMguru posted:

I love grandpa's pride that Roy has made it as a single-classed fighter, like him. Makes perfect sense that a grizzled old-timer has no time for faggotty prestige classes or minmaxing.

Plus the way the rules keep changing has been a running joke since strip #1. I'm guesing Grandpa was originally a 1st-ed fighter who still likes doing things the old-fasioned way.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

DoctorTristan posted:

Plus the way the rules keep changing has been a running joke since strip #1. I'm guesing Grandpa was originally a 1st-ed fighter who still likes doing things the old-fasioned way.

That makes me wonder: what was the world like before the D&D era? A fantasy war game-styled setting would be most likely, I'd say.

So would that make OotS perhaps the future of an Erfworld-like setting? :v:

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

They should not have slain the evil adventuring PLANE SHIFT dudes, just forced them to planeshift Roy back to the material plane. :smith:

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

the_steve posted:

I know the others are Chaotic and/or Not Good, but Durkon seemed to be of the Lawful Good persuasion to me.
If Durkon is a cleric of Thor I think he's required to be CG.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I think it's mention in Origin of PC's that Durkon is lawful.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Mirage posted:

If Durkon is a cleric of Thor I think he's required to be CG.
Unless there's some house rule in play, clerics are only required to share one aspect of their deity's alignment. So if Thor is CG any good or chaotic character could be one of his clerics.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

NorgLyle posted:

Unless there's some house rule in play, clerics are only required to share one aspect of their deity's alignment. So if Thor is CG any good or chaotic character could be one of his clerics.

I thought it was "within one step of your god", so that a cleric for a CG god would need to be CG, NG, or CN.

That's assuming the Thor in this world is CG. Durkon has proven to be so lawful it hurts.

Edit: Oh hey, strip #500 is coming up.

IMJack fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 25, 2007

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vanadium posted:

They should not have slain the evil adventuring PLANE SHIFT dudes, just forced them to planeshift Roy back to the material plane. :smith:

I'm almost positive there are some twenty different reasons why you couldn't do that.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

the_steve posted:

Durkon would end up in Valhalla or whatever though, even if it were the same 'heaven', he, like the the Azure City folks, would probably be on another side of the mountain.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm really starting to just get sick of Erfworld. If you're only going to update once a week, fine, but move the drat story along. This is like trying to eat a sixteen-course meal with a tweezer.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
I'm sick of Erfworld too, and I don't even read it!

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I've decided that the biggest flaw in Erfworld is that the writer, having been on Partially Clips for so long, feels like "[insert (internet) pop cultural reference here]" is a good way to fill dialogue or space 90% of the time. In addition, going from gag-a-day to overarching story means I don't think the author gets that you can't toss this many balls in the air at once, especially not when it's a once-a-week update. We're just getting introduced to new elements over and over again without any solid development of the things we've already got (we get it, there are cutesy gimmicks in this army, great), the premise itself doesn't seem to be evolving, the characters aren't remotely relatable or engaging, and the nature of the setting completely ruins any dramatic momentum or pathos with your dwagons and your boops and whatsis.

God that's too much analysis for not-a-good-comic.

So back to OoTS: What's Roy jumping out of the boat to run to? Is he thinking he'll appeal at the gates or try to manifest and be all, "Hey guys please raise me already," or what?

Using the word "manifest" reminds me, you know what book should get more love, anywhere? Ghostwalk.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Choke Babies Now posted:

So back to OoTS: What's Roy jumping out of the boat to run to? Is he thinking he'll appeal at the gates or try to manifest and be all, "Hey guys please raise me already," or what?

Well, I imagine that there is some means by which those on the other planes can loo on to the material world. I recall that his Dad was doing that, though it may have been a result of where he was stuck. But if characters retain their essential abilities on the plane (and Roy has apparently retained his, given his sword skills) then its not a big leap to think you might find a high-level mage or cleric capable and willing to do a little scrying or divination for you -- after all, everyone around here is good, right?

Honestly though, I don't think that's his plan. I think it can be simply explained as 'Panic'.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Vanadium posted:

I cannot begin to imagine what would happen if you planeshifted a spiritual manifestation of a dead person back to that person's original plane.

OR MAYBE THAT IS WHAT RESURRECTION IS?!?!

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm really starting to just get sick of Erfworld. If you're only going to update once a week, fine, but move the drat story along. This is like trying to eat a sixteen-course meal with a tweezer.

Yeah, I got into Erfworld when it was updating frequently enough that I actually noticed its existence.

Granted, Order of the Stick moves along roughly as slowly, but it has so much more backstory by this point that it is much easier to accept.

Choke Babies Now posted:

We're just getting introduced to new elements over and over again without any solid development of the things we've already got (we get it, there are cutesy gimmicks in this army, great), the premise itself doesn't seem to be evolving, the characters aren't remotely relatable or engaging, and the nature of the setting completely ruins any dramatic momentum or pathos with your dwagons and your boops and whatsis.

They did at least establish that the whateveromancer that Parson befriended died when the chain was broken, which is something. I am starting to wonder if Parson might not end up seeing if he can just switch sides to get out of this predicament, only to then have the battle actually end up somehow swinging in favor of Lord Stanley's army, forcing him to still actually pull the losing side out of the fire.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Quarex posted:

They did at least establish that the whateveromancer that Parson befriended died when the chain was broken, which is something. I am starting to wonder if Parson might not end up seeing if he can just switch sides to get out of this predicament, only to then have the battle actually end up somehow swinging in favor of Lord Stanley's army, forcing him to still actually pull the losing side out of the fire.

Depending on how epic they want it to be, I'm actually suspecting that Parson is going to end up evacuating entirely and Stanley's going to win. And then the real plotline starts.

I mean, we're creeping up on page 100, it's taken a dark turn, and it's on a site with a comic that is approaching page 500. Wouldn't surprise me at all if this is just the intro.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Gunjin posted:

The party are all higher than 10, according to the OOTS forums, Durkon is supposed to be 13, so he can do resurrection.

Yeah, it's pretty much canon at this point that at least V is level 13 or higher, because he can whip off two Disintegrates in a day.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Quarex posted:

I am starting to wonder if Parson might not end up seeing if he can just switch sides to get out of this predicament, only to then have the battle actually end up somehow swinging in favor of Lord Stanley's army, forcing him to still actually pull the losing side out of the fire.

Given that the good guys aren't that appealing either, I'm wondering if Parson isn't going to try to establish a third faction. Tool is evacuating the castle and there are still foreshadowed attacks on it that have not been triggered yet, so I imagine Parson will try to stick around with a [much diminished] fighting force.

The one problem with both our theories is that he's still considered a unit in Stanley's army, so I can't figure out how he could do either without being disbanded.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, it's pretty much canon at this point that at least V is level 13 or higher, because he can whip off two Disintegrates in a day.

Either that or level 11 with at least 22 int.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Shyrka posted:

Either that or level 11 with at least 22 int.

Totally plausible if she started with an 18 int. Or she could be 12th, started with a 17 and bumped up Int all three times.(+2 int for elf)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Isn't there a feat that allows you to cast more spells a day? I forget.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Bobulus posted:

The one problem with both our theories is that he's still considered a unit in Stanley's army, so I can't figure out how he could do either without being disbanded.

Combining what you and ZorbaTHut said, what I think might be in the near future is Parson figuring out that the "Ender's Game" strategy he can use is discovering that he, in fact, can take whatever role he wants in this entire war, so he just declares himself the leader of a third side, declares he has (X) amount of money (clearly based on how much he had in his wallet on Earth), and things get so meta that everyone stops reading.

No, really, I have no idea, but I do like the idea that unless the comic is going to end soon, this first battle is just going to be the set-up to the real plot.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

greatn posted:

Totally plausible if she started with an 18 int. Or she could be 12th, started with a 17 and bumped up Int all three times.(+2 int for elf)

Elves are +2 dex, not int. Unless V is a grey elf, which I don't recall being mentioned at any point. Of course, V could very easily have a +2 or higher headband of int at level 11, so 11 is still possible.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Sefer posted:

Elves are +2 dex, not int. Unless V is a grey elf, which I don't recall being mentioned at any point. Of course, V could very easily have a +2 or higher headband of int at level 11, so 11 is still possible.

Or a Sun Elf (Forgotten Realms).

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Sefer posted:

He's a High Elf according to the origins book.

If he were smart he'd be a Grey Elf and wouldn't have banned conjuration :colbert:

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
V at least is Level 13

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Sefer posted:

She looks kind of like a gray elf. Ah, but irrefutably a high elf.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
I wonder if there will be a strip whenever they level up or if it's just been happening silently. Belkar is confirmed to be 13 during the Mizo fight so I would assume since then he's gotten enough xp to be 14 or so.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Gassire posted:

I wonder if there will be a strip whenever they level up or if it's just been happening silently. Belkar is confirmed to be 13 during the Mizo fight so I would assume since then he's gotten enough xp to be 14 or so.

There was, Belkar was a little short and gave a weepy speech to earn the last few XP as a roleplaying award. Then he went to the Barbarian's Guild and had a side-plot there.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah, any comic where you see a 'ding' that is a level up.

Appalitch
Apr 25, 2007

SirDan3k posted:

Haley and Belkar are probably stuck in Azure city with Roy's corpse either waiting for everyone's favorite androgynous elf to contact them but Xykon has the entire city cut off magically or they are trapped there because Xykon's spell seals the city physically.

Another possiblity to consider is that they have already treid to summon him repeatadly, but they have been unable to do so. Keep in mind, Roy is in a land where he gets to meet his mother, granfater, and long lost brother for the first time in years. He is peaceful, content, around people who care about him. What if he subliminally doesn't want to be brought back, and thus their attempts have been unsuccesful?

Twerpling
Oct 12, 2005
The Funambulist
I think everyone died and there is no one left to resurrect him. The reason that he doesn't see any of them is because they all went to different planes (Weren't they all other alignments except for Durkon, who would probably go with Thor).

This is the pessimist in me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Appalitch posted:

Another possiblity to consider is that they have already treid to summon him repeatadly, but they have been unable to do so. Keep in mind, Roy is in a land where he gets to meet his mother, granfater, and long lost brother for the first time in years. He is peaceful, content, around people who care about him. What if he subliminally doesn't want to be brought back, and thus their attempts have been unsuccesful?

I get the feeling that the rez attempt won't be so subtle.
It'll be something like a bellhop showing up to Roy and saying he has a Resurrection request.

Or, he'll get to some receptionist desk and the person behind it will give Roy a list of missed calls and messages for him.