Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Hobbs

"I don't know if its dead. Our priority is to get everyone behind the barrier. Someone help her get Raymond in here. I'll cover you."

Hobbs aims at the corpse on the ground.

Speed 6

Guns/TL8 (Rifle) 14 for the shot. Aiming for the vitals again.

AR-15 rifle with scope (Assault rifle 5.56mm) 30 rounds
dam 5d pi acc 5 range 500 rof 12

With the scope he gets a +2 acc bonus. He's doing an Aim maneuver followed up by an all-out attack (determined). +1 for all-out attack determined and trying to aim at least for two seconds (+1). Also he's bracing the rifle on his wall (+1)

If I got everything right, then he has a +10 bonus. This is assuming he has time to aim and make the shot. He'll take a quick shot if the thing starts moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
Brandon

Brandon steps briefly out of cover to help Jennifer drag Raymond's prone body to safety, pausing for a moment to fire off a parting shot from his revolver before making sure Raymond is behind the inside wall of the hospital's lobby.

Without a word to Jennifer, he tears open Raymond's shirt and douses the wound in peroxide and staunches the bleeding before more carefully examining the back of his head. God, please don't have a skull fracture. Brandon picks very carefully through the author's hair, trying to determine through the profusion of blood whether or not Raymond's skull is more or less intact.

First Aid 17, Diagnosis 14, Handguns 12, Speed 5.5

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jennifer

"Jesus, don't you have any latex gloves? Aren't you going to WASH YOUR HANDS?" She sounds a bit disgusted.

If there's any kind of synergy bonus assist-type roll I can do to help Brandon in diagnosing and taking care of Raymond, I'd like to do so.
13 Diagnosis, 13 First Aid, 12 Physician, Speed 5.25 Move 5

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Becky watches over Brandon and Jennifer, hands clasped over her mouth. Slowly she shakes her head, tears running down her cheeks. Brandon finds the gash to run from hip to collar bone, deep enough that it has left chips in the ribs on Raymond's right side. It looks bad, real bad--stitches aren't nearly the half of it; the man was going to need a body cast around his chest once the wound was cleaned, disinfected and sutured closed. To make matters worse, the bladed implements were rusted, flecks of the oxidized metal still scattered along the trench of the injury.

Hobbs maintains a vigil over the now-prone Rick. After a time, the body spasms sharply, coaxing a reactive shot from the readied militiaman--and seeming to 'still' the corpse once more. Jennifer and Brandon go to work quickly--and the nurse immediately finds the second pair of helping hands invaluable. Raymond can scarcely stay coherent by virtue of the pain alone--and overhead, the foggy vapors seem to warp and shift, forming grotesque images for the man's addled mind. Brandon's fears are founded in part upon the discovery of a hairline fracture in the back of Raymond's skull.

Brandon's 11 and Jennifer's 10 help fully diagnose Raymond's potential for tetanus and other infections, a fracture to his skull, and rather vicious dermal tissue damage. An 8 and 10 respectively follow up for first aid, managing to halve the bleeding of Raymond's injury. Raymond bleeds for another 3 hit points before the two fully seal up the wound--he is reduced to 0 FP, and is experiencing excruciating pain without painkillers, and very likely a concussion.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Hobbs

"Fucker won't die," Hobbs mutters. "Might want to torch the body. Be safe."

Hobbs keeps a watchful eye on the body. He doesn't look to see the work being done on Raymond.

"Did he make it?"

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
Evan Douglas

Seeing that Raymond is being tended to, and not wanting to get in the way, Evan grips his flashlight in his left and his revolver in his right and, keeping both trained on the fallen form of Rick, steps out to take a closer look. "Cover me," he says to Hobbs.

code:
HP 10/10
Will 13
Per 12
FP 5/10

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Evan's closer observation of Rick's mangled corpse finds much now that he can get near him with a fair amount of light. His head, dashed by Becky's rifle butt, seems to be more or less empty save for slick liquid gore and a shriveled up brain stem. Intertwined with the exposed portion of spine within the back base of the skull are wiry black tendrils--even as he watches, they're drying out and beginning to flake away into...ash? Perhaps more unsettling is the large seam which has been formed in the deceased man's back, now open like a baked potato, innards crisscrossed with a network of the same veins of blackened sludge. Much of the man's bone structure seems infested with the stuff, and where it has been concentrated at the joints has become charred and dried of bone marrow.

Though fairly well shredded from gunfire, Rick's flak vest is salvageable, as is the mesh vest bandolier worn over it. Four additional topped off spare clips for his MP5 are present, as well as what appears to be a fragmentation grenade. In a satchel dangling from a nearly-severed strap are three road flares, a can of bug spray, several candy bars and a sealed packet of travel-size Kleenex.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jennifer

Luckily Jennifer isn't the type to be grossed out by medical issues. After a certain point they all just become inhuman lumps of flesh, pieces and parts to deal with one by one. She points out a few things (mostly related to cleanliness and infection), hands over what's asked for, and finally looks around the hospital proper, then back to Brandon, eyes wide and solemn, face still a mask. Brandon should know the look. Its the same look the doctors used to give when a particular patient was probably not going to make it. But she assumes they are friends at least so doesn't voice what is obviously going through her mind. She keeps her voice low and private.

"Penicillin'll work, Valium'll do in a pinch and also help the pain. What we really need is some metronidazole, should cover just about anything that might've gotten in there. You raided the pharmacy closet here I suppose." She sighs, looking out quickly as a shot rings out again, finally noticing Markson on the bed, swathed in bandages. "Jesus, they're picking you off one by one. We need to get out of here, wounded or no. Please tell me you have a working vehicle large enough for you all."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Doc

"Get what you can off him and if you can take the flak jacket off. I want to put a round or two into the chest to make sure he stays down."

Mr. Horyd
Jul 17, 2001

REDHEADS WILL BE MY DOWNFALL!
Raymond

First there's just the darkness, deeper than that Raymond's eyes had adjusted to in the hospital, as he struggles to help the two women get into safety ahead of him. The piercing wail of whatever is inside of Rick now makes him tense up profoundly, leaving him wide open for the attack that tears his torso open. Then a sense of falling, and suddenly another jolt that finally forces him to let go of any sensation beyond the experience of pain. He thinks he hears his name in the distance, but that must only be his imagination as it fades into the background.

After that, there's only a ghostly white in his field of vision, his eyes unable to focus except to reveal the ghastly cast of his own nightmares hounding his shattered mind. A horrible ringing in his ears overwhelms anything he might hear around him, and his body feels reduced to nothing but the jagged flesh around his wound. He has a vague sensation of things happening to him, but it's just more torment to add to this personal hell.

Why is his mind still holding on to that last thread of awareness, when the only perception is agony?

There is no thought left within Raymond's head. He can't even summon to his consciousness the consideration of whether or not this is going to kill him.

code:
HP: -7/10

Wutasumi
Apr 25, 2006

AG: 8ut I was such a confused kid! I didn't know anything a8out what killing really means.
Markson

"Yea," Markson says, trying to keep a brave face in spite of Raymond's obvious injuries, "they do seem to just be going for us one by one. Honestly though, does anyone else find it odd that these... things... are so insanely agressive? This is the first time I can think of where there was even an obvious parasitic influence in it, most of the time they just go for outright..."

Trailing off his sentence on that note, Markson shuts his eyes, and tries to go to a happier place and time, where one of his only friends isn't bleeding on the floor in front of him, and he wasn't nearly killed by some loving dog... only to find that he can barely even imagine that anymore, and what he can imagine is just as a dream.

I hate this place.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
Brandon

Brandon glances at Jennifer, holding up one still-gloved hand in momentary exasperation before going back to examining Raymond's chest wound and skull. He finds, much to his surprise, that she is both willing and able to assist him, and quite capably--it is a bright spot in the otherwise grim series of discoveries as the two quickly determine that Raymond's wounds are severe indeed.

Brandon regards Raymond's body for a few precious moments, considering what to do next. "There wasn't much left in the dispensary here, no, but we have some Valium," he says, drawing what little of it remains into a syringe and administering it. There was no metronidazole, but he did still have a modest supply of penicillin.

"What we need, though, is surgical plaster, a lot of it. We can't really move him until I get a body cast around this wound or it'll just tear itself open again. There should be some still in the dispensary." He cradles Raymond's head in his arms, examining the skull fracture more closely. "Could you please go get it."

She doesn't know where the dispensary is, idiot. She's never been in this building before in her life. Brandon looks up for a moment. "It's down the central hallway, second door on the left, or maybe the third."

He resumes his examination of Raymond's skull. Can't be too serious, since there's minimal bleeding. Seems like it might just be a hairline fracture. Should heal on its own eventually. That wasn't the real problem, of course. Even though the fracture itself might be comparatively minor, there was a real chance of a hematoma forming in his brain below it. With no power, an X-Ray or CT scan of his brain was out of the question.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jennifer

Jennifer looks at Brandon for a long moment.

"You are in-loving-sane if you think I'm going anywhere in this deathtrap by myself." She glances at the front door where the men with guns are. "Can I get an extra pair of hands to find the dispensary? Or two?"

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Hobbs

"The lady has a good head on her shoulders. I'll go with her if someone wants to keep watch here." Hobbs says. He tries not to take his eyes away from Rick's body.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
June 29th, 1:20 A.M.

Jennifer and Hobbs proceed into the hospital, making haste down the entry hallway and towards the dispensary. From beneath the Prius emerges Lucky, snuffling along the felled Raymond and whining quietly, diminutive tail waggling. Rick's corpse does not move from the spot--though Evan observes, then, as those ebony eyes gradually melt away, leaving blackened and empty sockets in their wake. Slowly, a new downfall of gray 'snow' begins to flake about the hospital entry awning, the occaisional flake straggling in to dirty a surface beneath. John feels a fresh headache brewing now, as well as the pangs of a strange sense of vertigo. "He will come soon." a voice seems to implore of no one in particular--though for its audience, John is the only in attendance.

Raymond can scarcely feel it as the dog begins to lick at his cheek--consciousness wanes away, in spite of Brandon's best efforts to keep the man roused and aware of his surroundings. No sooner does the blackness overcome him than Raymond finds himself standing beneath a great gnarled tree, black clouds roiling overhead in a torrential storm yet brewing. Perched atop a low-hanging branch nearby is the largest blackbird he has ever seen, staring solemn and silent with ruby eyes. Emerging from the shadow of the tree is a strangely dapper man in a bowler--his features are hawkish, but half of his face seems deadened of nerves and partially burned, the eye there glass. For a moment, the man watches the horizon to the east, wherein great arcs of lightning dance the expanse in thunderous display. "The child is threat enough with the touch of decay." Reaching into his breast pocket, the man produces a silver pocket watch to check. "The albino is relentless."

Brandon feels Raymond's pulse thrumming quickly along, and checking his eyes finds them rolled back in his head. Working at rousing his friend to awareness again proves difficult, and while he makes a renewed effort at it Boris hears the faint distant sound of music coming from the parking garage; soon, so too does Evan.

The man turns to Raymond. "Few will live. I will help. Take this." a gloved hand extends, holding the pocket watch, its silver chain unfastened from his vest. It feels real enough in Raymond's palm, the metal cool to the touch, and the faintest vibration of the inner mechanics churning away. "You musn't read the journal." the man holds a finger up. "You musn't look her in the eyes."A second finger. "Above all, you musn't tel--"

Brandon manages to revive Raymond with a sharp gasp, with Jennifer and Hobbs returning with the necessary cast ingredients and articles. As reflex prompts, Raymond's searching hand finds a rounded metal shape in his pocket.

Raymond may now purchase off his stuttering disadvantage.

GaistHeidegger fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 10, 2007

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
Evan Douglas

"Don't worry Hobbs, this thing isn't going to be moving again -- save your ammo. It seems to be disintegrating into...ash. Strange."

A shudder goes down his spine as Evan begins stripping Rick's body of useful items. He tries to avoid contact with the inky tendrils inside, turning the body over with the toe of his boot to remove the flak vest and tattered fatigues.

Evan examines the ash forming in Rick's body and compares it to the ash that has started falling, wondering if they're the same substance, or somehow related. Of course, it would be difficult to make a proper comparison without a microscope or even reasonable lighting, but Evan wants to know all he can about these things.

Mr. Horyd
Jul 17, 2001

Raymond

Raymond's mind is somewhere between the full consciousness of the fact that he's dreaming and the soft numbness of nightmares forgotten. He is aware of his body standing on the ground, can see through his eyes, and can hear the distant thunder, but his actions feel choreographed, and he can only play his part as it has been written.

He feels the blackbird's piercing gaze, but rather than turn to the ave his eyes make their way to the base of the tree, where the man in the bowler appears. He turns to face the same direction as the man, to the lightning cracking across the sky as though some celestial dome is shattering into pieces.

A storm is coming.

Without a choice on his part, Raymond turns again to face the man, and in another situation he might feel terrified, disgusted, or perhaps pitiful at the face he meets, but there is nothing right now. It simply is what it is. The man starts to speak, and something makes these words seem very important. He listens carefully, making sure to burn the nuances of every syllable into his memory. He only looks down for a moment as the watch is put into his hand, then snaps his eyes back to the half-ruined face to continue listening.

The words "Above all" ring in his ears, indicating that the following words may well be the sole purpose for his coming here, and he listens well...

As a loud, painful gasp interrupts the message, and it takes Raymond a moment to recognize that it's emanated from him. There are different voices here, more familiar, and shapes moving in dim light. Every breath he takes make the wound in his chest burn as if on fire, and slowing his breathing to reduce the movement of his chest only makes that gasp for fresh air even more unbearable.

He recognizes a face hovering over him, that of Brandon. Slowly, between painful gulps of air, he manages to mutter, "Figures... I finally get some sleep... and you have to wake me up." As though still in the dream, his left arms seems to move of its own accord, reaching into his pants pocket and resting on a familiar shape. The words of this last dream, which had already been fading as most dreams do, gel into something he will never forget. He's brought something back with him, it seems.

However, there's something else he has to know for certain before this most recent impossibility. "Are Becky... and the other woman... okay?" he says with gnashed teeth and closed eyes.

As discussed with Gaist, raising Nightmares back to a '12 or lower' disadvantage, and then using 2 CP to buy off the balance for Stuttering. Not that Raymond is feeling particularly fluent at the moment with all the gasping and wincing.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Brandon

Brandon jumps a bit as Raymond suddenly comes awake with a grimace, rummaging around in one pocket for a moment. Must have been dreaming...hallucinating? Still, it was a good omen. If maintaining consciousness wasn't too difficult for him, the concussion probably wasn't a life-threatening one and there were lesser odds of a hematoma forming.

He ignores Jennifer's parting shot and leans in forward over Raymond's face. "They're fine, man. Perfectly safe. Probably would have been dead if it weren't for you." He puts his hands over his shoulders if he exhibits the slightest sign of movement. "Listen, your chest is in bad shape. You'll pull through, but, and I can't emphasize this enough, you cannot move at all. Can't turn your body, can't scratch your chest, in fact, don't even move your neck too far to the left or right. I've got you sutured up but you're going to need a chest cast or it'll split right open again and you will die."

"Your head's pretty banged up too, but again, it doesn't look life-threatening. Just make sure you don't feel around back there at all. Keep your head still and just don't move around at all unless I ask you to. Ok?"

What skill would it be to make a body cast for Raymond? My first aid is at 17 and the other medical skills are all at 14.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Boris

Boris walks over to Brandon and Raymond, checking over his shoulder for any terrible critters. There could be more out there, and Boris really didn't want to be on the recieving end of one of their blades. He touches the pistol in his pocket for a moment, thinking that its power seeemed so weak now.

I guess we're stuck here for some time... with whatever else lurks in here... That's not good.

"Is he okay, Doctor?" he asks, "Is there anything I... I can do to help?"

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Brandon

Brandon winces a little bit at "Doctor," but doesn't say anything about it. "Not really, not here at least. Why don't you go ahead and help Jennifer and the others find that surgical plaster? The sooner we get that here the better he'll be."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Hobbs

"We got the stuff." Hobbs says as he brings an arm load of it in with him.

"How long do you think this'll take?"

Hobbs sets the stuff down on the table and moves back to the barrier.

"So that corpse is disintegrating? That's good, I'd rather not waste ammo or fuel on it."

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
Evan Douglas

"Yeah, disintegrating. Well, the black stuff inside is. The corpse part seems normal, but the thing that was moving him around is turning to ash."

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Brandon

"The cast itself doesn't take long, but he'll need to stay absolutely still for at least an hour while it hardens."

Mr. Horyd
Jul 17, 2001

Raymond

"That's great," Raymond mutters with a sense of relief as he learns that the women had escaped unharmed, and he repeats it once again, though this time with the addition of some heavy sarcasm, as he hears the extent of his own injuries and imagines his own immobility for the foreseeable future. I don't want to be a burden. It would have been hard enough just dealing with John, but I'm just dead weight now.

"Brandon," he whispers after a minute or two of silence spent trying to block out the pain and failing miserably. "I had another dream... he told me... about them..." he mutters, trying to speak during the briefest interludes in this symphony of suffering. Despite the agony, there is room for his expression to grow darker as he adds, "We... must leave... as fast as we can."

Then, startlingly enough, Brandon might be able to recognize a smile shining through clenched teeth, teary eyes, and features otherwise wrinkled in distress. "I think this time... he might really help us... he gave me advice..." He looks Brandon in the eye, then shifts his gaze as far downward as he can, toward a fist clenched around something in his pocket which he shakes lightly using only wrist motion. "And... something I... brought back with me."

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
June 29th, 1:36 A.M.

Rather late, you return inside--at least, for the time being, out of necessity. Brandon and Jennifer again collaborate to apply a cast about Raymond's torso; it makes for an uncomfortable and immediately itchy affair, but it's better than having one's torso split open like a baked potato. Between John and Raymond there are debilitating injuries aplenty--and were it truly the design of a malevolent force to wreak havoc upon the survivors one by one, it had gone swimmingly so far. At the very least, all seems to have quieted down outside now that Rick had been put down quite brutally. His corpse, once looted, lingers limp and loose, and the only thing out of the ordinary from that point is that rigor mortis never seems to finally set in. Becky sits beside Raymond as he rests, the remnants of John's rifle laid across her lap as she watches the fog outside with a glassy-eyed expression. Lucky, in the meantime, finds it amicable to curl up beneath the waiting room bench upon which Raymond lay. If nerves could not be settled, it was going to be a -very- long night.

Successful application of the body cast, though it knocks Raymond with a -2 to his DX needs and move speed while in place. Evan finds the ash to be similar as he can tell without lab equipment--though the ash which had been in Rick, as it melts away, becomes somewhat gelatinous.

GaistHeidegger fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Nov 11, 2007

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
Evan Douglas

"Come on, let's get inside and get some shuteye. I'll take the first watch. When it's light again we can reevaluate, maybe try and get back on the bus and get out of here."

Turning to Jennifer, Evan says, "You're more than welcome to join our little band, uh...I didn't quite catch your name. Mine's Evan. This is Hobbs, Brandon, Boris, Becky, John, and Raymond who you already met." Evan feels like he's forgetting something, but shrugs it off. He feels like that a lot sometimes.

"We're pretty low on supplies, but I think I speak for all of us when I say we'll be happy to share what we have with someone as capable as yourself. It looks like you're not too hard up yourself though, your car looks pretty packed."

code:
HP 10/10
Will 13
Per 12
FP 5/10

Absent-Mindedness

Mr. Horyd
Jul 17, 2001

Raymond

Laying on the hard plastic of the bench, Raymond's breathing is now labored by the constriction of the cast around his torso as much as it is by the dull, throbbing pain that manages to come through even despite the pain killers he had received. He hears the periodic scratching of the floor under him, and wonders what kind of dreams Lucky and the other animals of the world are experiencing. Their lives seem to have been spared to some extent, perhaps they are still truly free in sleep as well?

So tired... I should just try to close my eyes, block everything out. There's no pain in sleep. No! I want to see it first, to see it with my waking eyes.

With attention to Brandon's instructions on how he can and cannot move while recuperating, his fingers drag his hand down into his pocket, and slowly, halting whenever the movement becomes painful, he drags the round shape out. Keeping the weight of his forearm resting on his elbow, he lifts the object up just until it lies within his peripheral vision, so he can examine it in the dim light, and explore every facet of its form.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jennifer

Jennifer gives Evan the same penetrating look that Becky and Brandon got -- she's obviously checking eyes for signs of infection -- as she removes a package of wet wipes from the zippered pocket on the front of the poncho and wipes her hands thoroughly clean, using up several in the process. She nods briefly at the mention of names, giving a quick glance around the room as he goes through them, then says, "I really, really don't think this is the best place to spend the night, honestly. If they are movable at all I really want to encourage you people to get the hell out of Dodge. I know..."

She glances at the man in the body cast, "Raymond, right? I know Raymond can't be moved until the cast sets, but that doesn't mean we should be lying around here. Where's your vehicle? We can at least bring it to the front door along with mine so that as soon as he's able to move we can do so. I can drive you to it so noone has to walk around out in the fog, it'll give some measure of protection at least."

She glances around the room again, then back to Evan. "I heard you trying to raise someone on the radio on my way into town. Did you ever reach them?" She moves towards the front doors, looking out. "If not I think your best bet is to-" She stops, cocking her head and frowning.

"What's that noise? Is that... music?"

code:
      WILL: 12
      PER: 14  
      HP: 13/13 
      FP: 9/13

Danger Sense

Oracle fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 12, 2007

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Hobbs

"I don't know if moving is a good option right now. The main threat's been eliminated. I'd rather just stay here for the night and set off in the morning."

Hobbs looks at the new comer and then adds, "Unless you know something we don't. Like why we shouldn't stay here."

Does Hobbs hear this music that Jennifer does?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Boris

"Music?" blurts Boris, looking around suddenly, as if broken out of a moment of deep thought, "What music?"

I knew it! We can't trust her! It was all too convenient, wasn't it... Look at them all, they're all so blind. Can't they see? They HAVE to be infected. No, I can't trust them, can I?

Boris takes a step back from Jennifer, eyeing her with suspicion.

Wutasumi
Apr 25, 2006

AG: 8ut I was such a confused kid! I didn't know anything a8out what killing really means.
Markson

"Glad that you're ok Raymond, I was worried when I saw you were unconcious..."

As he hears Jen remark about music, John listens intently to see if he's just missing it, then looks at her.

"I don't hear a thing? Sure it's not just your ears ringing from firing that machine gun?"

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

From Gaist's second-to-last post:

GaistHeidegger posted:

and while he makes a renewed effort at it Boris hears the faint distant sound of music coming from the parking garage; soon, so too does Evan.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
Evan Douglas

"The radio's been shot to hell for us. I'm surprised you heard us. We've barely been able to get a signal from a hundred yards or so."

Turning to Hobbs, Evan says, "I'd say the immediate threat has been eliminated, but there's still more of those things out there."

Back to Jennifer, he says, "Yeah, what is that? It sounds like it's coming from the garage."

code:
HP 10/10
Will 13
Per 12
FP 5/10

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Hobbs

"I don't hear anything. Then again my ears aren't as good as they used to be. If there is music, I don't like it. I really hate this weird poo poo."

Hobbs nervously peers into the darkness. Wondering about the music he doesn't hear.

Thanks Oracle.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jennifer

She listens to the men talk back and forth with half an ear, trying to make out what the music might be. "Did you have something in the parking garage?"

She looks fully at Hobbs, eyes narrowing. "I have a few good reasons for leaving here. One: you've been attacked at least twice. Two, its a hospital. They aren't exactly germ-free zones in the best of times, and this is not the best of times. And three..." she nods towards Evan as he confirms what she'd feared. "You don't know how many of these things there are out there or if daylight might even keep them away. Good enough reason for me to leave."

She turns back towards Evan, surprised at this. "I heard it on my way into town. Crackly but definitely audible."

She hesitates as he mentions her car and the supplies therein. "I'm alright for right now. As far as joining you, that depends. If you're headed south and west, sure. If not, well, here's where we part ways. I've got a family to get back to. I'm still willing to help you get to your vehicle if you want to go now, but otherwise... this whole place freaks me out, and I'm leaving shortly. I think you'll all be dead by dawn if you stick around, to put it bluntly. Call it a hunch."

She looks at the machine gun, then at Markson. "Yeah, speaking of which... does this belong to one of you? It was just lying around outside, but its empty now." She swings it around her shoulder by the strap, holding it up by the barrel as she speaks.
code:
      PER:  14  
      HP:   13/13 
      FP:    9/13

Danger Sense

Oracle fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 12, 2007

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Brandon

"That was Rick's gun, I think." Brandon volunteers this information before turning back to Raymond. "What do you mean, brought back with you?" he asks quietly, looking at the pocket watch. "Where did you get that?"

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jennifer

She pauses at the owner of the gun's name, mentally going through the list he gave her just a few minutes ago. Evan, Hobbs, Brandon, Boris, Becky, John, Raymond...

"Who the hell is Rick?"

Wutasumi
Apr 25, 2006

Markson

John gives a slight pause, before responding with, "You met him. Nice guy, before he got magical flying powers and tried to kill Ray, you and Becky."

Then, with another pause, John states "I don't know what is making me believe you so much, especially given Ray's condition, but I'm pretty sure you're right. We need to get the hell out of dodge, where there's one of these flying... things... there could be dozens."

code:
HP:4/8 (I think..)
FP:5/8

intuition

Wutasumi fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 13, 2007

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jennifer

She takes a moment to catch up, glancing out the double doors at the presumably still-flaking corpse, then at John, mask sticking to her features as she inhales sharply, eyes bugging out in disbelief.

"You KNEW that guy?? He was one of yours? Christ, so that's... they've attacked you... three times tonight? And you want to stay here? Have you lost anyone else I should know about?"

She looks at Evan. "Was he who you were trying to get on the radio?"

She seems confused and incredulous at this situation, the sarcasm in her voice masking her fear, which is growing as much at the obvious and apparently rising danger in this situation as well as the apparent lack of concern by those still left.

Then John speaks some reason, and a bit of tension goes out of her shoulders.

Maybe they've just been through too much and are ready to lie down and die. Or maybe they're all in shock and just need a kick in the pants. Or a goal. I've got that, at least. Come on, people, wake up. I've got a baby to get home to, and it'll be a hell of a lot easier with your help. If you can just pull yourselves together.
code:

PER:  14  
      HP:   13/13 
      FP:    9/13

Danger Sense

Oracle fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 13, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Hobbs

"I don't think we're planning on spending a lot of time here, maybe a few days. We were planning on heading out west. See how things are out there. Maybe its not as bleak as it is here. We only stopped here because Markson got injured. He got attacked by some freaking monster. This place seemed safe at the time we showed up. Only after we got here some other monster attacked some of us in the garage. They were taking care of transportation at the time."

Hobbs turns around. He sighs.

"If our resident doctor says we can move our wounded, then I'm O.K. with us leaving. But only if he says its o.k."