Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Wanderer posted:

Wow, he's been punching 'em out lately.

I really hope the next strip's another one of those long Haley fight sequences.

Haley justt drank a bunch of potions.

Haley with the win by KO in the second round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Haley justt drank a bunch of potions.

Haley with the win by KO in the second round.

I haven't played D&D in quite a while, do they still have that "random effect when drinking multiple potions" thing?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Davethulhu posted:

I haven't played D&D in quite a while, do they still have that "random effect when drinking multiple potions" thing?

Not unless it's a random effect potion.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Davethulhu posted:

No, not really. I guess you could house rule it in, but generally it's treated like a spell in a bottle. They don't interact with each other, exactly the same as if you had just cast those spells on the person.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Thank God for the end of potion miscibility tables.

Speaking of which, any idea what will happen in June when 4E hits? What I've seen of the rules seems like it will seriously overhaul and change the D&D ruleset to the point where, say, OOTS wouldn't be easily convertable.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I recall reading on ENWorld's summary page that 4E wouldn't allow conversion from 3.5E - there's a lot of similarity, but some things just don't convert. I'm expecting a series of jokes about broken stats, but with style.

At least Belkar's a halfling - I gather gnomes have been removed as a default starting race. He'd probably be pissed if he was nerfed out of existence.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Pope Guilty posted:

Thank God for the end of potion miscibility tables.

Speaking of which, any idea what will happen in June when 4E hits? What I've seen of the rules seems like it will seriously overhaul and change the D&D ruleset to the point where, say, OOTS wouldn't be easily convertable.

That's it, I couldn't remember the name. Here's a link describing the effects for you poor folks who never played AD&D.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

Davethulhu posted:

That's it, I couldn't remember the name. Here's a link describing the effects for you poor folks who never played AD&D.

Is that table at the bottom an actual copy of a D&D 1 or D&D 2 table? If so, man, the twink possibilities!

"Okay, the first thing I'm going to do is get a potion of fly and a potion of bull's strength, mix them up, and drink them." *rolls dice* "75. I'm gonna make a new character and try again."

Several hours later he finally rolls a 00 and has permanent fly, and all it took was creating about a hundred different characters!

Although, honestly, few of those results are really all that bad - if you were high-level enough that you could withstand the "explosion" and "lethal poison" results, you could just keep trying until you got permanent results.

What does a permanent Cure Serious Wounds do, anyway?

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

ZorbaTHut posted:

Wizards.com posted:

Case 2: You drink a potion with a duration that is not instantaneous. Then you drink a second (different) potion. You need to check for compatibility unless the second is a curing potion (e.g., a potion of cure light wounds, etc.). Curing potions always work and never interfere with other potions; we don't need to complicate the process of healing during a battle.

In other words, permanent Cure potions aren't possible.

evilsake
Oct 25, 2004

by Fragmaster
Haha, the wight got the paladin's shoes between comics

Looks like he's happy with his acquisition too :)

evilsake fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jan 3, 2008

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

ZorbaTHut posted:

Is that table at the bottom an actual copy of a D&D 1 or D&D 2 table? If so, man, the twink possibilities!

"Okay, the first thing I'm going to do is get a potion of fly and a potion of bull's strength, mix them up, and drink them." *rolls dice* "75. I'm gonna make a new character and try again."

Several hours later he finally rolls a 00 and has permanent fly, and all it took was creating about a hundred different characters!

Although, honestly, few of those results are really all that bad - if you were high-level enough that you could withstand the "explosion" and "lethal poison" results, you could just keep trying until you got permanent results.

Miscibility rules recommended that once a '75' or whatever, always a '75', unless a different formulation of the potions was somehow discovered and used. So sure Fly and Invulnerability may always create permanent invulnerability, but then it becomes a permanent part of that world, and something alchemists and wizards work to counter.
I had a basic program once that generated an entire miscibility chart. I was bored.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

gothfae posted:

I had a basic program once that generated an entire miscibility chart. I was bored.

I wrote a program for my TI-83+ that would roll up a complete character sheet for any class and level, skill points, ability scores, number of feats, and spells per day.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

bgaesop posted:

I wrote a program for my TI-83+ that would roll up a complete character sheet for any class and level, skill points, ability scores, number of feats, and spells per day.

Feats? You're way too 'nu-tech' :)

Sock
Oct 8, 2001
Do me. Do me.
:siren: NEW STRIP :siren:

So what's the spell description of "Electric Orb"? It looks pretty nasty.

edit: Oops :downs:

Sock fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 3, 2008

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Orb spells are from the Complete Arcane, and they can die a horrible death for all I care. They require a ranged touch attack to hit, and since most everything save crazy monks have absurdly low touch AC's, it isn't hard to hit with them. The lesser orbs are available at level 1, and do 1D8 right off the bat. Normal orbs are a D6 with extra goodie effects. Easy to hit with and good damage. Meh.

Since you asked:
Orb of Electricity
Conjuration
Sorc/Wiz/Warmage 4
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1SA
Range (25' + 5'/2Levels)
Save: Fort Partial

1D6 per caster level, max 15D6. A creature wearing metal armor must make a Fort save or be entangled for 1 round.

I had a warmage lobbing these around all over the place. There's no good reason not to use them.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
I love the use of the infinite canvas or whatever the hell its called.

Break them borders! Whoo!

Jon
Nov 30, 2004
Orbs are usually a d8, but since it's sonic it's a d6, right?

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

bgaesop posted:

http://www.theonlysheet.com/ is super complex but it'll literally do anything for D&D 3.5

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Anyone happen to save the latest comic? GitP is being hammered too hard right now for me to see the latest.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

The Midniter posted:

Anyone happen to save the latest comic? GitP is being hammered too hard right now for me to see the latest.

:)

Now if only I could see the latest Erfworld.

Also my Something Awful Secret Santa Present arrived today, and it was Start of Darkness. It's absolutely brilliant and proves that Rich can do plot and character with a webcomic, or at least a book spawned from one. I had thought about getting one of the prequel books, and this has made sure I'll buy Origin of PCs too.

My Santa is awesome.

Amused Frog fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 3, 2008

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Amused Frog posted:

Now if only I could see the latest Erfworld.

Here you go, I guess.

Altamir
Aug 8, 2007
It's all my fault!
I think 4E will be great for OotS. It will be able to bring back some great jokes about the rules again. Rich has a great ability for poking fun at the rules, and having fun with them. As much as WotC has promised, 4E will be just as messed up as 3E and 3.5E, plenty of great ammo for great comedy.

Amused Frog, Start of Darkness is amazing, the last few pages and "X's" monologue about evil is some amazing writing. Some of the best work Rich has done. Origin of PCs is also great, and well worth the money. It defiantly is more of an "older school" feel to it though. It is more about gags and jokes than drama.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

ZorbaTHut posted:

It's a conversion to 3.x, and I don't have my 2e books handy to make sure it completely matches up, but yeah, that's basically how it works.

That wasn't even the worst way someone could randomly become way more powerful than they should; you should see the psionic wild talent rules they had in 2e...

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
Are there actually rules for an attack knocking your weapon out of your hand? I know that it's more dramatic that way, but there might be a quick comedy bit there.

Imaginary OotS Comic posted:

Tsukiko: Give it up! You haven't even got any weapons! (motions to the Wight) Get over here, bub. You handle the sucky-sucky, and then I'll make with the--

(Haley shoots the Wight with an arrow.)

Tsukiko: Wha--I saw you drop your bow!

Haley: Not in the rules, sister. You could Disintegrate me and I wouldn't drop anything I was holding. (shoots Tsukiko with four arrows at once.) And I still haven't decided what orifice. Maybe I better try them all, just to be sure...

ZorbaTHut posted:

I think I saw that in a "Knights of the Dinner Table" strip.

Robot Bastard fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 4, 2008

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Robot Bastard posted:

Are there actually rules for an attack knocking your weapon out of your hand?

You're right about the comedy aspect, but there are rules for disarming someone. Ironically, Roy is probably better at it than V, who can literally burn your arms off.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

NutShellBill posted:

You're right about the comedy aspect, but there are rules for disarming someone.
I don't mean intentional disarming, I mean "involuntarily drops weapon due to massive damage" like we see in the latest strip.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Robot Bastard posted:

I don't mean intentional disarming, I mean "involuntarily drops weapon due to massive damage" like we see in the latest strip.

Maybe she's sweet-talked the GM into allowing Rolemaster damage tables into the game...

Altamir
Aug 8, 2007
It's all my fault!

Robot Bastard posted:

I think I saw that in a "Knights of the Dinner Table" strip.

The KoDT potion mixology gag was fantastic. Brian basically figured out the entire table, and which potions, when drank at the same time, had the highest chances of causing magical explosions. They then hired a bunch of unwitting henchmen and torch bearers, fed them the explosive mix of potions, telling them it would make them strong and mighty, and then had them charge into combat with monsters like a pack of suicide bombers. BA was not amused...

As far as being forced to drop your weapon outside of disarming, I think only being "panicked" causes you to drop your weapon. Even death (strictly according to the written rules) doesn't cause you to drop your weapon. I'm pretty sure rich is just using artistic license here.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Altamir posted:

The KoDT potion mixology gag was fantastic.
I liked the time when they bought a herd of pigs and drove them through the dungeon ahead of the party to set off any traps. "Oooh, giant falling block! Looks like it's bacon for lunch today!"

I have to say, I was worried there that OotS was going to go the same was as KoDT--that Rich would drink the "dramatic plot" Kool-Aid and ditch the Murphy's Rules jokes in favor of interpersonal drama. I gave up on KoDT months ago.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Robot Bastard posted:

I have to say, I was worried there that OotS was going to go the same was as KoDT--that Rich would drink the "dramatic plot" Kool-Aid and ditch the Murphy's Rules jokes in favor of interpersonal drama. I gave up on KoDT months ago.

They seemed to be on the right track for a while with "Retro KODT" or the one-off gag stories they do, but yeah, a good chunk of the book is devoted to a story that moves at a glacier's pace.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I missed what Arcane Spellcaster class the flying wonder is that she can cast Cure Critical Wounds on herself and still be a passable necromancer. The best she could do would be to be a Cleric 7/Wizard 7 (for Orb of Electricity), and I'm not really well sold on the notion of any decent necromancer who isn't pure something into a Prestige Class.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Cabbit posted:

I missed what Arcane Spellcaster class the flying wonder is that she can cast Cure Critical Wounds on herself and still be a passable necromancer. The best she could do would be to be a Cleric 7/Wizard 7 (for Orb of Electricity), and I'm not really well sold on the notion of any decent necromancer who isn't pure something into a Prestige Class.

She's a Mystic Theurge http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/mysticTheurge.htm

editL and this is where it states she's a theurge http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0446.html

rocketrobot fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 5, 2008

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

So, she's essentially a necromancy-focused Cleric/Wizard.. who has crippled her ability to Rebuke/Bolster Undead. :raise: I think I am going to invoke my suspension of disbelief on this one.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
I don't see why you'd need to, Mystic Theurge is a ridiculously broken class. Arcane and Divine classes get like 95% of their abilities at 1st level so you don't lose anything besides the almost non-existent ability to turn undead and your wizard half covers that by giving you a bunch of control/destroy undead spells. In return you basically get 2 levels every time you gain 1.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Gassire posted:

I don't see why you'd need to, Mystic Theurge is a ridiculously broken class. Arcane and Divine classes get like 95% of their abilities at 1st level so you don't lose anything besides the almost non-existent ability to turn undead and your wizard half covers that by giving you a bunch of control/destroy undead spells. In return you basically get 2 levels every time you gain 1.

Mystic Theurge is a pretty lovely class actually. You are 3 caster levels behind in each of your classes, meaning you are losing out on higher level spells. For example, a wizard 13 could cast 7th level spells - a wizard 3/cleric 3/mystic theurge 7 would only have 5th level spells. Also, your save DC's will probably be lower since you need to focus on 2 stats instead of 1. You get lots more flexibility, but you lose out on a lot of power.

Consider that the 13th level wizard could have taken Leadership and gotten an 11th level cleric as his cohort, and mystic theurge doesn't look that good.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Gassire posted:

That was what I thought until I played one.

Piell posted:

Mystic Theurge is a pretty lovely class actually. You are 3 caster levels behind in each of your classes, meaning you are losing out on higher level spells. For example, a wizard 13 could cast 7th level spells - a wizard 3/cleric 3/mystic theurge 7 would only have 5th level spells. Also, your save DC's will probably be lower since you need to focus on 2 stats instead of 1. You get lots more flexibility, but you lose out on a lot of power.

Consider that the 13th level wizard could have taken Leadership and gotten an 11th level cleric as his cohort, and mystic theurge doesn't look that good.

This is correct. In theory, they seem super powerful. In practice, lots of versatility, no bite.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

And Rebuke/Command Undead, which she'd improve further as an Evil Cleric, is an incredibly useful trick for somebody going the whole Necromancy route-- if only for something Xykon illustrated earler: undead beasties that follow your mental commands are a might bit more useful than ones who follow spoken commands.

Plus, there's the whole bolstering against/reversing the effects of Turn Undead.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Cabbit posted:

And Rebuke/Command Undead, which she'd improve further as an Evil Cleric, is an incredibly useful trick for somebody going the whole Necromancy route-- if only for something Xykon illustrated earler: undead beasties that follow your mental commands are a might bit more useful than ones who follow spoken commands.

Plus, there's the whole bolstering against/reversing the effects of Turn Undead.

She seems to be mostly focused on combat magic, particularly direct-damage spells, and the Mystic Theurge approach gives you a lot of those. Those undead aren't important to her character beyond the whole necrophilia joke.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Cabbit posted:

Xykon can't turn undead, though, and he was telepathically commanding that dragon. What's funny is that actually rebuked undead are worse than the other kind - you have to take a standard action to send rebuked zombies telepathic orders, but speaking is a free action. Really, turning undead is often a crapshoot because the monster manual only vaguely relates the hit dice of an undead monster to how powerful it is. That character is probably better off using her Turn attempts to power cheesy Divine feats.

As people have said, the real problem with the mystic theurge is that while it is more versatile than either a wizard or a cleric, it is considerably weaker than a wizard or a cleric (definitely a cleric).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

As people have said, the real problem with the mystic theurge is that while it is more versatile than either a wizard or a cleric, it is considerably weaker than a wizard or a cleric (definitely a cleric).

As a PC. As an NPC that flexibility is king, because she can sit on her rear end and make undead and magic items, and learn spells specifically to target the PC's weaknesses. Which is just what she did.