Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amorphous Bob
Sep 4, 2007

Buck up and be a man, ya' little bitch.
I got tickets for the Streetlight show this Christmas, and boy-howdy am I ever excited. Somewhere in the between is such a drat good album. Different, but good. I can't wait.

The Aquabats (the band that got me into ska) has disappointed me as of late. I saw them in concert three years ago, and--although it was drat good (the Phenomenauts and the Epoxies opened for them. Whoot)--My heart sank when they proclaimed themselves to be surfer rock. Losing the entire brass was painful enough, but Super Rad just wasn't Super Ran without the horns.

Backno posted:

I also enjoy The Specials some times but just something that I cant put my finger on prevents me from liking most of the 1st/2nd wave stuff

If your taste is Ska is anything similar to that of mine, it might be the tempo. I respect and acknowledge the 1st wave scene, but I just can't get into the reggae stuff. It's too slow for me. Second wave I like, but at the same time dislike a little bit. It's the rough, disorganized sounds that turn me off. Things definitely start to pick up near the end of that era, but it's the residual reggae sound and tempo that stifles my interest. I like 3rd wave the most because it's really fast-paced, and cleaned up a bit, but I still enjoy Catch 22, Streetlight's former stuff, and the gruff voice of the Bosstones. While the reggae roots are still apparent, and some bands still use the slow tempo and thumping bass, bands like Sublime, and the last few songs on the new Mad Caddies album which increase the tempo a bit have a good sound.

In summation, it's the speed of 3rd wave that attracts me to it the most. I can't speak for you, but I can add insight.

Amorphous Bob fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 3, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Amorphous Bob posted:

I got tickets for the Streetlight show this Christmas, and boy-howdy am I ever excited. Somewhere in the between is such a drat good album. Different, but good. I can't wait.
Okay, what? You're talking like you haven't seen them yet, but it's January 3 and they don't have tour dates listed past January.

SinSalvador
Dec 27, 2007

guppy posted:

Okay, what? You're talking like you haven't seen them yet, but it's January 3 and they don't have tour dates listed past January.

Yes. They do.

http://www.streetlightmanifesto.com/

Pres the picture, and then "Enter Site." They have tour-dates up til the 2nd of March.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Amorphous Bob posted:

If your taste is Ska is anything similar to that of mine, it might be the tempo. I respect and acknowledge the 1st wave scene, but I just can't get into the reggae stuff. It's too slow for me. Second wave I like, but at the same time dislike a little bit. It's the rough, disorganized sounds that turn me off. Things definitely start to pick up near the end of that era, but it's the residual reggae sound and tempo that stifles my interest. I like 3rd wave the most because it's really fast-paced, and cleaned up a bit, but I still enjoy Catch 22, Streetlight's former stuff, and the gruff voice of the Bosstones. While the reggae roots are still apparent, and some bands still use the slow tempo and thumping bass, bands like Sublime, and the last few songs on the new Mad Caddies album which increase the tempo a bit have a good sound.

In summation, it's the speed of 3rd wave that attracts me to it the most. I can't speak for you, but I can add insight.

You do realize that reggae was a product of ska and not vice-versa, right?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Mike_V posted:

You do realize that reggae was a product of ska and not vice-versa, right?

I think he might mean how first and second wave ska have a more of that sound that lead to reggae as opposed to third wave which is a lot more punk oriented. I may be wrong though because I am far from a skalor (pun!).

Amorphous Bob
Sep 4, 2007

Buck up and be a man, ya' little bitch.

guppy posted:

I live in Minnesota, and they'll be here on the 8th. So yes, I would be talking like I haven't seen them.

Because I haven't, yet.

mrfancycrackers
Nov 17, 2007

by Ozma

Amorphous Bob posted:

I live in Minnesota, and they'll be here on the 8th. So yes, I would be talking like I haven't seen them.

Because I haven't, yet.

Hey, I'm going to this show, too! I can't wait to see them headline, I have had the worst luck with that. At Ska Is Dead 2 the Voodoo Glow Skulls (awful, awful band) headlined because their van came late, so Streetlight only played a 30 minute set. Then I had to see them with Reel Big Fish twice. Ugh.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

mrfancycrackers posted:

Hey, I'm going to this show, too! I can't wait to see them headline, I have had the worst luck with that. At Ska Is Dead 2 the Voodoo Glow Skulls (awful, awful band) headlined because their van came late, so Streetlight only played a 30 minute set. Then I had to see them with Reel Big Fish twice. Ugh.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person on the planet that loves the Voodoo Glow Skulls :smith:

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

Receiving End of it All is still one of the best songs I have ever heard, period.

SM isn't coming south for leg 2 of the tour, disappointing.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Amorphous Bob posted:

Because I haven't, yet.
Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you meant you got tickets for a show that was scheduled for Christmas. Which, you know, is past already, hence my confusion.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

seventeen posted:

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person on the planet that loves the Voodoo Glow Skulls :smith:

Don't worry, I like them too... well, I probably could say I did, but I've only ever heard DD Don't Like Ska and I think it's really catchy!

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
The Voodoo Glow Skulls are completely badass if only for the fact that they are all ridiculously huge dudes and their singer sounds like a zombie. Honestly though VGS are awesome, although they are somewhat of an acquired taste.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

seventeen posted:

I actually wore out the record "Who is, this is" when I got it and then played the tape I made of it until it broke. After that I couldn't get into any of their later work.

I saw them with Skankin' Pickle and I was just amazed by how flawlessy SP blew them out of the water. I don't know what I expected from SP but I thought the Voodoo Glow Skull fans would be tougher and more energetic than a bunch of drunk guys screaming, "WHOODOO VOODOO WE DO?" over and over again. It was disappointing.

So I am with you on their first couple releases.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

Receiving End of it All is still one of the best songs I have ever heard, period.

I just heard the new CD yesterday and I can agree with this.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Josh Wow posted:

The Voodoo Glow Skulls are completely badass if only for the fact that they are all ridiculously huge dudes and their singer sounds like a zombie. Honestly though VGS are awesome, although they are somewhat of an acquired taste.

They're like the spanish bosstones.

Only better.

(yes i'm the only person in this thread that does not like the bosstones)

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Only better.

I don't like them either, and I think Dickie Barrett is a dick. :colbert: (No pun intended)

plumpy
Dec 5, 2005
Were any goons at the Salt Lake SM show last night? The venue was pretty small I thought, but Streetlight was still fantastic. The bands they had opening for them were quite a mess though. Being half and hour late I missed the first band. Second was The Stitch Up; I had never heard them before but holy poo poo they are awesome. The last "musical group" that opened was some hip-hop bullshit horrible band, "Grand Buffet." Someone threw a water bottle at them and one of the guys and he went totally nuts and was screaming about how he would beat him up after the show. Anyway good show overall though.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Only better.

Your Streetlight avatar is all that is stopping me from hating you forever.

SkaWes posted:

I don't like them either, and I think Dickie Barrett is a dick. :colbert: (No pun intended)

You, however, have no such luck. :colbert:

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

I NEED AVATARS. AVATARS OF HARDHAT SPIDER-MAN!
Man, Mad Caddies are coming back to Exeter next month and bringing Dropkick Murphys with them, but the friend I was supposed to be going with can't make it, so I might have to miss out. (Though if any Devon goons are reading this, you should probably IM me.) I'm seeing RBF/Streetlight/Sonic Boom Six the following fortnight though, so that's pretty awesome.

Does anyone know of any upcoming shows in the Boston area for March? I'm going to be there then, and it would be great to attend at least one.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Check out the Sad Cafe over in Plaistow. I mean there aren't any big ticket ska bands that I know of, but we just played a show there last night that was pretty kickin'.

I have no idea how NH has a ska scene though. Maybe i'm just nuts.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

Check out the Sad Cafe over in Plaistow. I mean there aren't any big ticket ska bands that I know of, but we just played a show there last night that was pretty kickin'.

I have no idea how NH has a ska scene though. Maybe i'm just nuts.

It's more of a Merrimack Valley thing. Alot of kids from Lawrence and Lowell areas make the drive up there. God you brought back such memories of my High school days seeing five o five and skankin pickle at the sad cafe.

BlandMan123
Nov 29, 2004
I guess the holidays are over for them.

Only better.

I'm with you, I never quite got the appeal of the Bosstones, although I haven't really heard much of their stuff. I'd be glad to try out more of it.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

I'm extremely pissed off right now. I had tickets to see Streetlight Manifesto at Pop's over in Sauget, Illinois (close to STL), but they canceled due to "transportation." I have no idea what that means, but I'm guessing they got stuck trying to figure out Highway 64's detours, said screw it, and just pulled over and got baked on local weed.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Knowing Streetlight, their van was probably stolen.

babyturnsblue
Jun 14, 2007

i used to dance before the discos came
If anyone is going to the Streetlight Manifesto show this thursday in Chicago, I'll be the one entirely out of my element looking confused. :toot:

Baron Patsy
Apr 9, 2006

I'M SPECIAL DAMMIT
Anyone else going to the show in Detroit tonight?

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

Anorexic Sea Turtle posted:

I'm extremely pissed off right now. I had tickets to see Streetlight Manifesto at Pop's over in Sauget, Illinois (close to STL), but they canceled due to "transportation." I have no idea what that means, but I'm guessing they got stuck trying to figure out Highway 64's detours, said screw it, and just pulled over and got baked on local weed.
Oh poo poo, I was almost going to go to that. Sucks that they didn't get to play. I had plans to drive there from Indiana, but my work schedule changed and I couldn't get out of it. I bet the transportation issues involved strippers in their van from the club that shares a parking lot with Pops. That area is seedy as hell.

Baron Patsy
Apr 9, 2006

I'M SPECIAL DAMMIT
I'm guessing that the transportation issues had to do with the fact that Thatcher apparently split one of his fingers open and had to have it amputated. Kalnoky said that they almost skipped Detroit because of it, but that Chris insisted they play the show anyway.

Baron Patsy fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 12, 2008

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

I don't think he had it removed... where is that report from?

Baron Patsy
Apr 9, 2006

I'M SPECIAL DAMMIT

I don't think he had it removed... where is that report from?

It's what Kalnoky said right before they played. He said we were lucky, because they were going to skip the show in Detroit because Thatcher had to have this finger amputated (and he used the word amputated) after shattering it, but that Thatcher insisted on playing the show anyway. He didn't sound like he was kidding at all, either.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

It's supposedly not even broken, he just severely cut it. Not amputated as far as I know.

Baron Patsy
Apr 9, 2006

I'M SPECIAL DAMMIT

It's supposedly not even broken, he just severely cut it. Not amputated as far as I know.

Hmm, interesting. Maybe he was being sarcastic and I didn't catch it.

Steve Beans
Jan 3, 2004

Baron Patsy posted:

Hmm, interesting. Maybe he was being sarcastic and I didn't catch it.

Kalnoky said the same thing in Chicago on the 10th, but if I remember correctly he said that Thatcher now had a prosthetic hand and it was pretty clear he was joking. He said the same thing about "I asked him if he wanted to cancel, but he said 'gently caress no!" or something like that.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Are there any areas in the US with a strong local ska scene anymore? A lot of bands skip Dallas altogether because nobody goes to the shows anyways.

Amorphous Bob posted:

The Aquabats (the band that got me into ska) has disappointed me as of late. I saw them in concert three years ago, and--although it was drat good (the Phenomenauts and the Epoxies opened for them. Whoot)--My heart sank when they proclaimed themselves to be surfer rock. Losing the entire brass was painful enough, but Super Rad just wasn't Super Ran without the horns.

I went to a show on this tour! Unfortunately the Epoxies didn't play here, but that show got me hooked on the Phenomenauts. Anyways, the Aquabats still put on a pretty kickin' show for a bunch of near 40 year olds in latex.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

not a dinosaur posted:

Are there any areas in the US with a strong local ska scene anymore? A lot of bands skip Dallas altogether because nobody goes to the shows anyways.

With the recent closing of the Avalon and Axis in Boston, I'd like to imagine that Massachusetts/Rhode Island is getting back into the swing of things. The Avalon and Axis were the two of the biggest "small" venues for concerts in the Boston area and recently they were both closed down to be combined, so now a lot of smaller venues like the Middle East, T.T the Bear's, The Paradise and Harpers Ferry are getting a lot more attention from a lot more bands. I've definitely noticed a much more frequent show schedule now without the "Big Two" than with them.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

seventeen posted:

With the recent closing of the Avalon and Axis in Boston, I'd like to imagine that Massachusetts/Rhode Island is getting back into the swing of things. The Avalon and Axis were the two of the biggest "small" venues for concerts in the Boston area and recently they were both closed down to be combined, so now a lot of smaller venues like the Middle East, T.T the Bear's, The Paradise and Harpers Ferry are getting a lot more attention from a lot more bands. I've definitely noticed a much more frequent show schedule now without the "Big Two" than with them.

They'll be back. They are just rebuilding. I liked the avalon though. It was so convenient being basically right next to a T stop.

And don't forget The Roxy. They are getting more shows too.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Well, that's good to hear. I might actually be living in Boston next year!

Meanwhile, can someone tell me which mu330 album to start with?

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist
I've been looking for the new Bosstones b-sides album and was very surprised that mainstream stores don't seem to carry it. I want the actual CD, not just a download, and even online, the only place that has it is a "Newberry Comics" in Boston. Did the band say it was going to be limited distribution? Can you get one anywhere else, or should I suck it up and have it shipped?

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

FateoMcSkippy posted:

They'll be back. They are just rebuilding. I liked the avalon though. It was so convenient being basically right next to a T stop.

And don't forget The Roxy. They are getting more shows too.

I've heard a lot of heavy rumors that the two are actually being combined though I really don't see how that would work. It would just be far too large of a venue.

How is the Roxy? I've never been there. What venues around Boston/Cambridge would it compare to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

seventeen posted:

I've heard a lot of heavy rumors that the two are actually being combined though I really don't see how that would work. It would just be far too large of a venue.

How is the Roxy? I've never been there. What venues around Boston/Cambridge would it compare to?

I would compare the Roxy to The Palladium in Worcester if you take out the balcony. Or does the Roxy have a balcony? I dunno.

I've heard that rumor too. What I heard is that they will have a movable wall that they can use to cut the club in half if they are having two separate events.