Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Dominic Hokage posted:

That would probably just turn Sakura into a furry.
DAMMIT! She'd probably turn the boxers into some cat ear thingy.

TapamN posted:

I don't have good recordings of the other minigames yet, but you can look at Sumire in a bikini and watch me poison Maria.

Sumire's minigame
Maria's minigame
Kanna's minigame
Sumire's game is pretty good because it's all actiony. And what Sindai said, although when it's SD like that it's just weird. Maria's game had the best music, and facial expressions. I have no idea about Kanna's because I had no idea what was going on, and if she was beating up kids then they would have no chance. And Kanna's not mean like that anyways, she just beats up on sharks and Ogami.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Dash Magnum posted:

I don't suppose you'd happen to know what was the point of Kanna's minigame? Because for a second there, I almost thought the goal was to beat up children.

Which would have been AWESOME! :madmax:

It looks like Kanna is doing some kind of daycare thing in her game. You're given to the name of each kid (which you have to memorize), someone asks you to find a particular kid, and you have to select them with the box. You have three chances to guess right.

Of course, I can't read a speck of Japanese, so take that description with a heap of salt.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
In the Kanna minigame, you need to memorize the kids'/dog's names. Then people will come by and ask for someone by their (Japanese) name. You then go and pick the correct wrong person.

As I said before, the ST1 minigames are all pretty crappy. Only the shooting game, Sakura's, and Sumire's could be considered entertaining. ST3 has some really good ones... a fast QTE minigame, a simple Smash TV style shooter, and a beat'em up!

(Heheh. Sumire's has the most views out of all of them. Gee, I wonder why?)

Grunduggerer
Jan 20, 2007

Locus Cosecant posted:

Chalk me up as another person who registered just to say that he registered just to say what a good job you're doing. I'm enjoying the hell out of this LP.

I'm beginning to think Lowtax needs to pay Spirit Armor commissions.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
Sakura's Minigame
Iris' Minigame
(Shooting) Hatsumode Minigame

Sakura's minigame occurs during the event where Oogami helps Sakura clean backstage. It apparently has been replaced by a QTE in the PS2 version.

I'm skipping Kohran's (the card game) since it's also in the PS2 version. But her SD sprite can be seen in the Hatsumode minigame.

All of the minigames display some special picture when beaten with a certain score. In the videos, I only get the picture for Sumire. I'll post all of the pictures at some other point (Friday or Saturday, likely.) in 640*480.

I thing worth mentioning is that I skipped a... easter egg deadly land mine in one of the minigames. It's in Iris' minigame. I hope I don't need to elaborate. You should all be thanking me for not subjecting you to it.

Since someone commented on the music...

The music used for the minigames are remixes of the character's theme music, sometimes sounding drastically different from the real song. This are videos of performances of the character's themes:

Sakura's ST1 Theme - Big changes between the minigame remix and the real thing.
Sumire's ST1 Theme - A very well done performance.
Maria's ST1 Theme - The official recording sounds much, much better. Maria has a lot of good songs... but the voice actor does poorly here.
Kanna's ST1 Theme - Kanna has some trouble with the microphone.
Kohran's ST1 Theme - The motions are a bit distracting, but the singing ok.
Iris' ST1 Theme - Urg... they gave the actress oversized clothes to make her seem smaller. The song is nothing special, otherwise.
Ayame's ST1 Theme - Another very well done performance. The song is a bit different than the official recording... I like this version more. If you can understand Japanese, the lyrics are kind of spoilery.
Shooting game music (Ai Wa Daiya) - The part you hear in the minigame doesn't start until about one minute in.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Love, Justice, and Mid-Season Upgrades Steam-Powered Robots.
For once, I'm making pretty decent time on that update- I should be able to get it out tomorrow evening.

In any case, I've got a lot of replying to do.

Pendragon posted:

I've been reading this thread for a while and loving it. I've heard so much about Sakura Wars but have never been able to see it. Thanks a ton for playing and translating it for us.

Glad that you're enjoying it! I just figured that it was a drat shame that they'd released all these Sakura Wars movies and OVAs in the U.S., most of which require that the viewers are actually familiar with the games themselves. This didn't help Sakura Wars' prospects in the U.S.

It's made even more frustrating because (the original) Sakura Wars was just one of the many gems of the 32-bit era that was passed over for an American release because of 1) genre and 2) not being revolutionary and 3D.

Objective Action posted:

I haven't posted very often since I bought my account, but this LP has dragged me from obscurity in that glorious proverbial trawling net that is a woman who delivers a flying kick to a shark.

What makes it all the more amazing is that it shouldn't even have been physically POSSIBLE. How the hell do you get a running start when you're treading water?

Dash Magnum posted:

I'm beginning to think Yoneda is at least a little like Popeye...only instead of spinach, he requires sake. It's not a perfect analogy but for some odd reason it was the first thing to come to mind.

If ever a character needed a theme song, it's Yoneda and the Popeye theme.

Dash Magnum posted:

And for God's sake...who would willingly choose to read "War and Peace"? See that's why Maria never really held my interest. It's like she purposefully tries to suck the fun and enjoyment out of a scene by being as ridiculously serious as possible. She only really gets a chance to shine in combat, which makes up...maybe half the game?

Hey, give her a chance, man. She's only just started to not be a horrible combat machine who shoots people in the knees and calls them a dick. :frogbon:

Sindai posted:

Wait, I HAVE to know what Yoneda says if Ogami claims to be Sakura.

... so do I, come to think of it.

I'll try to get it out sometime after the next update (i.e. tomorrow).

Glazius posted:

I'd say "the bureaucrats can't shut down the Flower Division. What would they replace it with?" but then I remember: bureaucrats. Japan could be consumed in flames but as long as the coffers are full there's no problem.

In this case, I'd think that the Flower Division would be the CAUSE of Japan turning into a giant hotpot.

CannonFodder posted:

I just hope "Meow" shows up as another choice later on.

"Onii-chan! You have to go on a date with me! Will you?"
"Uhh... meow?"

God, I hope so. I honestly can't remember it popping up very frequently, though, which is a bleeding shame.

TapamN posted:

I don't have good recordings of the other minigames yet, but you can look at Sumire in a bikini and watch me poison Maria.

Sumire's minigame
Maria's minigame
Kanna's minigame

Thanks for putting these recordings up! :patriot:

Huh, I never knew that they'd completely overhauled the graphics between the Saturn/Dreamcast versions of Sakura Wars 1 and Sakura Wars 2. That's a lot of neck. And a lot of mines. Why do they make Ogami suffer so? :smith:

... somehow, I'm not surprised that they'd flaunt Sumire fanservice as the carrot-onna-stick for completing her game. The first game's instruction booklet goes so far as to give out each pilot's three sizes, after all. :gonk:

Locus Cosecant posted:

Chalk me up as another person who registered just to say that he registered just to say what a good job you're doing. I'm enjoying the hell out of this LP.

Awesome! Glad to have you on board. :patriot:

Everyone posted:

Stuff about the mini-games

Sumire's game was pretty simple- swim to the other end in under twenty seconds, and you get a bikini Sumire CG. :v: yaaaaaay

Maria's game was a cooking game: chop the carrots, poison Maria add seasoning, don't turn the pot into a magma-spewing volcano. Then she rates your cooking and probably takes you out back and shoots you dead if you score too low and ruins your taste buds.

In Kanna's game, you had to reunite all of the lost kids with their parents by the one-minute mark: they start by giving you his/her name, and then start throwing out hints like "he's wearing yellow" or "stop confusing my son with that dog, you twit." ... yeah, it relies pretty heavily on reading comprehension.

TapamN posted:

(Heheh. Sumire's has the most views out of all of them. Gee, I wonder why?)

She's one helluva landowner.

EDIT: Oh hey, more updated videos! Sakura's minigame is kind of neat, though you have to wonder how the theater manages to go into infinity like th- oh god no, Iris's minigame :cry:

Also, I'm a fan of whoever it is that composed all the music for the Sakura Wars series, but the performances have always caused my mind to shut down and boggle due to how meta it is to have voice actresses dressing up as their characters. Maybe it's just me.

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 14, 2008

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008

Spirit Armor posted:

The first game's instruction booklet goes so far as to give out each pilot's three sizes, after all. :gonk:
The ST4 manual has sizes, too. But not for the Paris girls for some reason. And, in a surprising display of decency, none are listed for Iris and Reni.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

TapamN posted:

The ST4 manual has sizes, too. But not for the Paris girls for some reason. And, in a surprising display of decency, none are listed for Iris and Reni.

Only because the ST1 characters originally had 'em, IIRC. Thankfully, they stopped doing that for the new characters at ST3 and STV.

... I'm surprised they didn't do it for Iris and Reni. I mean, if they're creepy enough to do the slots game...

Schadenfraulein
Dec 23, 2006
a front row seat to the gun show

TapamN posted:

I thing worth mentioning is that I skipped a... easter egg deadly land mine in one of the minigames. It's in Iris' minigame. I hope I don't need to elaborate. You should all be thanking me for not subjecting you to it.

Ah, I think I see it. The bunnygirl costume, right?

I'm 85% sure someone linked to this site already, but there's a similar, fan-made flash game with Maria.

The costumes take a turn for the :nws: later in the game.

However, they take a turn for the :nms: from the get-go.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I've been reading this on and off for about a month and I'm very pleased with how this is going. Even with my vast amounts of patience I'd never be able to read over a game in a different language without wanting to club myself. Good show, goon sir.

Also, my vote. Kanna has far better tracts of land than Sumire. Top that off with shark kicking and you have my vote. A vote for Kanna is a vote for the subjugation and annihilation of all sharks. And that's all right by me. :colbert:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Schadenfraulein posted:

I'm 85% sure someone linked to this site already, but there's a similar, fan-made flash game with Maria.

The costumes take a turn for the :nws: later in the game.

However, they take a turn for the :nms: from the get-go.

Ayup, I was the one that linked it. There's also some sort of RSI-inducing 'scratch' game with Maria in a nurse costume.

Also nice, if a weee bit late for Christmas: http://urc.sakura.ne.jp/hp/playroom/snow/snow.htm

I stand by my vote for Maria. :colbert: I shall be unmoved!

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jan 14, 2008

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Casting a vote for Sumire.

Schadenfraulein
Dec 23, 2006

Spirit Armor posted:

... wait, there's a third choice:

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008

Schadenfraulein posted:

If only that was it. The thing I was talking about is far, far worse.

Keep in mind the phrase, "Curiosity killed the cat."

Dire
Dec 31, 2007

Just finished reading this from the start - :iia: - and I'd like to cast my vote for Maria.

Grunduggerer
Jan 20, 2007
I just thought of something. Could Yoneda just be pretending to be drunk all the time as his "theatre manager" cover?

Schadenfraulein
Dec 23, 2006

TapamN posted:

If only that was it. The thing I was talking about is far, far worse.

Keep in mind the phrase, "Curiosity killed the cat."

Great, now I have to know what it is.

Dash Magnum
Jul 25, 2007

That's no moon...
It's a Face Station!

Grunduggerer posted:

I just thought of something. Could Yoneda just be pretending to be drunk all the time as his "theatre manager" cover?

I think that's exactly what he does...it's part of his act to keep up the facade of the Imperial Theater. Who would suspect the drunken theater manager was actually a brilliant military commander tasked with protecting the capital.

Still it's amusing to think that part of the reason he's so good is because he's completely smashed. :cheers:

Thanks again TapamN for going to all the trouble of putting together those minigames and character theme videos.
Even the :cry:-worthy Iris minigame.

Keter
Jul 25, 2007
Switching my vote from Iris to Maria. When will I give a vote for Kanna? Когда рак на горе свистнет!!! :ussr:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Grunduggerer posted:

No, Yoneda is definitely at least two sheets to the wind at most if not all times. However, he is capable of temporarily going through drunkenness and coming out the other side, into a world entirely free of comfortable delusions.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Grunduggerer posted:

Of course. How else can he explain "accidentally" stumbling into the dressing rooms? "Hic, shorry there girlsh..." and then he wanders downstairs to check the mid-tunnel cameras.

He is a model to everyone :patriot:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Keter posted:

Switching my vote from Iris to Maria.

I'd ask why in the hell you voted for Iris in the first place, but I'm just glad that Maria isn't hemorrhaging votes anymore.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Canuck-Errant posted:

I stand by my vote for Maria. :colbert: I shall be unmoved!

Stay strong comrad! We will provail!

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Spirit Armor posted:

How the hell do you get a running start when you're treading water?

Although I guess it is entirely possible that she simply got a running start from the side of the pool and made some sort of 3rd edition D&D monk style flying leap, I like the mental image of her simply hopping out of the water by moving her feet so fast that physics just says "gently caress it, do what you want...I need a drink" and lets her get away with it.

Objective Action fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 26, 2011

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I registered just for this LP, it's that awesome. Also, after weighing all of the relevant facts and conducting a thorough investigation into each girl's character, I... ah, screw it, shark kicking > all. Voting for Kanna!

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Well, it seems young, beautiful, rich, NORMAL Sumire is sunk, so I may as well jump on the :bandwagon:

Switching my vote from Sumire to Kanna. I may be doing this just because when they finally :huh: Ogami is going to get permanently and hilariously injured.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Since the Iris vote has been removed, I no longer have to stick to my ridiculously circuituous plan to get her total below Sakura's.

Switching my vote from Kanna to Sumire.

Grunduggerer
Jan 20, 2007

Adahn1986 posted:

Switching my vote from Sumire to Kanna. I may be doing this just because when they finally :huh: Ogami is going to get permanently and hilariously injured.

Because Kanna's on top.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

----
"... as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced..."

Pfft, that's nothing. Imagine if millions of voices suddenly started screaming in your mind for you to club one of your co-workers in the head and drag her back to your room.

Yeah, I bet THAT wasn't too hard to imagine, because most of the time, it's your libido screaming at you. No, I'm talking VOICES, the type that'll drive you madder than Iris taking control of your mind. Now, imagine if those voices started banding against each other, arranging themselves into groups like "the Shark-Kicking Worshippers" and "She Who Holds Vast Tracts of Land" and "Cult of SCIENCE :science:"... and then started taking votes.

That'd be bad enough on its OWN, but I'm already living in a place where everyone's eager to plug as many objects into as many of my orifices as physically possible. Between getting punched to a pulp and living in fear of anything with two X chromosomes, there are days when I don't think I can take it anymore...

[Ogami]

... which is when I go for some spiritual guidance.Ayame-san's the hottest thing ever to wear a military uniform, but she's completely inaccessible and none of my voices are voting for her. Thus, she's an anchor for my vote-wracked mind.

----

[Ayame]

It's not really a problem. I was writing reports, but I was just about finished with them.

[Ayame]

And? Did you need me for something?

It's always nice to hear what people think of your driving, AND it gives you a really nice burst of the Red/Blue/Yellow stuff next to your portrait.

[Ogami]

That's because it was only the warehouses that got hit hard, I suppose.

[Ayame]

And the enemy man... Setsuna, was it? This is a first- that you've defeated a leader of the Hive of Darkness without having him flee.

And so on and so forth. At least we got bonus points for taking down the punk kid, though I sincerely doubt that the Hive of Darkness is any worse off WITHOUT Setsuna.

I mean, what the hell did he contribute to the team, anyway? Well-done nails and a mime's face paint?

[Ayame]

Right, right, about Maria... you've noticed, haven't you, Ogami-kun.

[Ogami]

Eh? Noticed what?

[Ayame]

That girl... she's started calling you "Captain" instead of "Ensign."

[Ayame]

And don't you think that her overall demeanor has become gentler?

----
[Ogami]

I don't know about that... I mean, she pulled a gun on me during a card game.

[Ayame]

Oh my. That's a good thing, isn't it?

[Ogami]

Huh?

[Ayame]

That you're still alive, I mean. If it had been the OLD Maria, you'd still be spitting out lead.

[Ogami]

... that's certainly true.

----

[Ayame]

Maria's starting to change. And there, Ogami-kun, you've been a large influence.

[Ogami]

Eh...

[Ogami]

I only did what was natural as captain!
Because I think that guiding one's members is also a captain's responsibility.

----
[Ayame]

Awww, lookit the cute widdle captain trying to be -cool-.

[Ogami]

At least I'm not a team-killing trigger-happy blimp driver.

[Ayame]

... did you say something, Ogami-kun?

[Ogami]

Nothing at all, ma'am.

----

[Ayame]

But you know, you really don't need to be that stiff.

[Ayame]

The Flower Division is different from a normal brigade.

----
[Ogami]

Thank you, Ayame-san. Between the psychotic stalkers and the vast amount of physical violence visited upon my body, I never would have been able to notice that on my own.

[Ayame]

... let me finish.

----

[Ayame]

I'd rather you not face them as a leader to his subordinates, but as person-to-person.

[Ogami]

Ayame-san...

----
[Ogami]

... but they always jump me from behind.

[Ayame]

Look, you know very well what I mean.

[Ogami]

AS DO YOU.

[Ayame]

Okay, fine, touche.

----

Well, after THAT, there's really not all that much left for me to DO here.

----

What there is to SEE, however, is a different story altogether. Of course.

[Ogami]

Th... these clothes... could it be that Ayame-san's taking a bath!?

[Ogami]

Oh, oh no... my body's moving towards the bath on its own...

[Ayame]

Whew... this bath is wonderful...

[Ogami]

A, Ayame-san...

Now, I DID have the choice to turn his gaze further downward.

I'd not seen this CG before, sooooooo I erred on the side of caution and didn't want my already-average rating with Ayame to hit rock bottom.

[Ogami]

(Ayame-san... she's so pretty...)

... what IS he, five years old?

[Ayame]

... Ogami-kun. It's not good to peek in on peoples' baths.

[Ogami]

Eek!? Y, you noticed me!?

----
[Ayame]

Well, you were speaking out loud, and you weren't making any effort to be hidden, so--

[Ogami]

Yes, I was!

[Ayame]

You weren't making ENOUGH effort, I mean.

[Ogami]

How could you see me!? I was perfectly camouflaged!

[Ayame]

... call it a woman's intuition.

----

[Ogami]

Y, yes! I'm sorry!!

(CRASH, THUD, CLATTERCLATTERCLATTER)

[Ogami]

Uwaaaah!!

[Ayame]

My oh my...

[Ogami]

Ah... er...

That's... that's a shitload of bizarrely mixed signals right there. :gonk:

[Ogami]

No, um... I couldn't... take my eyes away from your face...

[Ogami]

Er...? Ahahahahaha....

----
[Ayame]

... but that won't stop me from turning your rear end into grass, soldier.

[Ogami]

Hahaha... ah ha... aah poo poo.

----

[Ayame]

Now then... I'll be leaving now.
Don't think about peeping in a second time. Do you understand, Ogami-kun?

... normally, I'd poke fun at such a general statement, but as it is, I don't know anymore.

The best thing to do about a worried mind is to cram it full of food. :colbert:

----

[Ogami]

No... I was just passing through.

[Kanna]

Really? Well, it ain't good for your body if you don't eat a proper breakfast.
Say, what DO you usually eat, Captain?

[Ogami]

Rice and miso soup. As expected, that's what I gotta have in the mornings.

[Kanna]

You too, Captain!? Man~, that's sensible.

[Kanna]

I don't feel so good if I don't eat ten bowls of rice every morning, you know? Ah hahaha!

[Ogami]

W, well, I don't think we're too similar THERE...

----
[Ogami]

I mean, that's enough to feed a small country. Before you came to the theater, how the hell did you even get enough money to PAY for all that food?

[Kanna]

Oh, Pops registered me as being a prefecture in and of myself. The government sends me food!

[Ogami]

What!?

[Kanna]

You're lookin' at Kirishima Prefecture, population: 1,421! I'm the only mobile population center in the world.

[Ogami]

But, but... HOW!?

[Kanna]

Weeeeell, I'm a traveling demolitions crew with the strength of 1,421 people, and that kinda thing's pretty useful when you're tryin' to lay down railroad tracks and things like that.

----

(DONG DONG DONG)

----

----

... nevermind the fact that it's only 10 am...

[Ogami]

Now then... what should I do from here on out.

I have a couple ideas about that.

(KNOCK KNOCK CRASH SLAM)

He could get mobbed by a bunch of fairly irate women.

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 23, 2012

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Spirit Armor posted:

"Tell those goons to pick between us, already!"

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
Hm, the winds of change seem to have started blowing. Very well, I shall pre-emptively ride them.

Switching my vote from Sumire to Kanna to Kohran to Maria to Sumire.

See? Things are going to go back to that point, in the end. So be like me, and beat the winds of change to the punch. You don't want the winds to make you look stupid, do you?

Dominic Hokage
Nov 11, 2003

Only Kanna can switch from Pleasant Breakfaster to Fighting Ready at the speed of light.

Irrational Man
Aug 10, 2004
voting sumire

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

linall posted:

Stay strong comrad comrade! We will provail prevail!

Well, I'm sending Spirit Armor a bribe and/or threat, so we'll see.

Terashell
Dec 19, 2007

Gaben-chan~

Greaseman posted:

Hm, the winds of change seem to have started blowing. Very well, I shall pre-emptively ride them.

Switching my vote from Sumire to Kanna to Kohran to Maria to Sumire.

See? Things are going to go back to that point, in the end. So be like me, and beat the winds of change to the punch. You don't want the winds to make you look stupid, do you?

I will never sway from the path of :science:, glasses, purple hair, and chinese dresses. Kohran forever!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...sweet monkey Jesus. If Kanna and Sumire can present a united front, Ogami's really in for it.

JimmyT64
Oct 27, 2007
I'm Special!
Maybe they just need a referee for whatever weird rear end challenge they've come up with to decide between them.

Or they've finally gotten sick of Ogami, and are going to "dispose" of him.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
Mweheh...

Mwheheheheh...

MWAAAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH!

IT BEGINS!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Okay that's it. I'm now changing my vote to Ayame. You've brought this upon yourself you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabachinova
May 6, 2007

You say...

You say you'd still rather wear the outfit.
I have been following this great LP for a time now, and i didn't vote because i didn't know you could vote for her.
Ayame :swoon:

• Locked thread