Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Does the new firmware allow you to create playlists on the Touch? That was the most retarded lack of a feature, since I hadn't seen an mp3 player for years that couldn't make playlists.

Not that I'll upgrade until it's been jailbroken, but it's nice to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Y2JMatrix94 posted:

I can't help but feel I'm doing something wrong, whenever I have wifi on, my battery life just goes to poo poo. From a full charge, I can drop down to 3/4's full in about 45 minutes. Does the wifi really use that much power?

Do you mean with just the Wifi set to on, or actually using Wifi with an app?

If it's the latter, then yeah, four or five hour battery life is about what I see.

e: the old firmware let you make On-the-go playlists.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If it's the latter, then yeah, four or five hour battery life is about what I see.

It lets me make one On-The-Go playlist. I have to go back to iTunes on my computer to be able to give it a name so that I can clear On-The-Go and make a second playlist.

Y2JMatrix94
Aug 24, 2005

Working overtime, fighting crime!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Safari for example, just web browsing, no music or other apps.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
Is there a way to play internet radio on the touch yet?

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH

bakahams7er posted:

iRadio, and even though I have it I've yet to use it so I can't tell you how it well it works.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Zeph posted:

iRadio, and even though I have it I've yet to use it so I can't tell you how it well it works.

It works kind-of-well, but is pretty bare-bones.

There are two main "problems" with iRadio currently.

1) You have to pick from the provided list of stations (they copy some sort of Shoutcast list). That is, you can't enter a URL.

2) The volume control is odd. It's not the same volume level as your stored music; radio stations play much quieter. This can be "fixed" by starting a station, then (while it's playing) going to your music, and starting and stopping a song. The volume will jump up to normal levels. Putting the Touch into Sleep will set the volume back down.

Since iRadio was released by a software developer, I'd guess you won't see a more developed version of it until at least next month, when they can sell it.

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

bakahams7er posted:

Why doesn't anyone know about/use MobileScrobbler? It is, by FAR, the best radio app on the touch. If you don't use Last.fm, you are seriously missing out. Having Last.fm on the ipod touch is just too awesome.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I upgraded my mom's iPhone to 1.1.3 and played around with it for a while. My Touch is jailbroken, however, so I wont be doing the same.

The maps is cool. I like the interface more and the find me feature is nice. Too bad it doesn't work (as well) on the Touch. :(

The only thing I really want now on my Touch is the expandable Homepage with shortcuts. It is really usefull/needed/whydidtheywaitsolong.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

SuperCaptainJ posted:

Why doesn't anyone know about/use MobileScrobbler? It is, by FAR, the best radio app on the touch. If you don't use Last.fm, you are seriously missing out. Having Last.fm on the ipod touch is just too awesome.

Yeah, I can't believe I just learned about it yesterday.

Still waiting to hear some feedback on how the new Google Maps works without actually being on a wireless network.

dorkimoe
Feb 16, 2007

Vyze posted:

Does the new firmware allow you to create playlists on the Touch? That was the most retarded lack of a feature, since I hadn't seen an mp3 player for years that couldn't make playlists.

Not that I'll upgrade until it's been jailbroken, but it's nice to know.

You can do the on the go playlist. It's only one. But it's better than none.

I have yet to jailbreak my touch. I'm thinking I will pay for the upgrade. Mail sounds like it would be worth it.

Scratch2k
Jul 30, 2002
( . ) ( . )
With the $50 price drop and the additional apps I'm glad I waited until the keynote to place my order. I will soon be joining the ranks of regular lurkers in this thread.

What do people generally get engraved on their iPods, I thought about my name and phone number but that would screw me if I ever wanted to sell and upgrade. So I went with a Buckaroo Banzai quote /nerd.

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit
I bought the apps, but I have a question.

Say my computer crashes, and I reinstall, how do I reinstall the apps back on to my touch if I need to restore my touch later?

Can I re-download the apps for free?

dorkimoe
Feb 16, 2007

Axim posted:

I bought the apps, but I have a question.

Say my computer crashes, and I reinstall, how do I reinstall the apps back on to my touch if I need to restore my touch later?

Can I re-download the apps for free?

Normally I would say yes. But on itunes I went to the purchases tab and it told me you can only download something one time.

ALso this is a very stupid question, where are the apps at? I'm trying to get them.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Scratch2k posted:

With the $50 price drop and the additional apps I'm glad I waited until the keynote to place my order.

What $50 price drop?

Are you mixing up the Touch with the AppleTV (which went from 299 to 229)?

Scratch2k
Jul 30, 2002
( . ) ( . )

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

What $50 price drop?

Are you mixing up the Touch with the AppleTV (which went from 299 to 229)?

Sorry, should have clarified. Firstly, I'm in Australia, maybe the US didn't get the price drop. I was ready to buy yesterday and everyone had Touch 16Gb's for $550, including the Apple store online. Today when I went to look the Touch 16Gb was $499 and the 8Gb version had dropped from $419 to $399. I was on the fence about if I should get the Classic or Touch but that drop helped me decide.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Oh, I see.

Have fun with your new Touch.

(also, I've bought two iPods directly from Apple, but got no engraving)

dorkimoe
Feb 16, 2007
Where is the lyric feature?

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
For those of you going to 1.1.3, if you use the mail app for gmail, you may want to read this:
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=86615

Basically, 1.1.3 will switch gmail from POP to IMAP, so be careful what you delete on the touch, as it will delete from gmail as well (there are instructions to change that in the link).

satsu
Mar 29, 2004

It's a compulsion! I have my reasons.

Scratch2k posted:

What do people generally get engraved on their iPods, I thought about my name and phone number but that would screw me if I ever wanted to sell and upgrade. So I went with a Buckaroo Banzai quote /nerd.

satsu's iPod by way of Eno posted:

More fool me, bless my soul.

Also, I take it 1.1.3 works on previously jailbroken iPods fine, right? Or should I hide (delete) my jailbreaking activities on my piece of hardware that I should be able to do with as I please?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
A lot of fence sitting will be involved here, I suppose. The UIKit is basically reverse engineered headers to the code libraries, right? The official SDK wouldn't be too different. I wonder how the 3rd party application landscape will look like some time after the SDK has been released.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

whiskas posted:

There's a database of 23 million wifi hotspots. Based on the hotspots in your area and the signal strength (distance) to them, it can estimate your current location. The more wifi hotspots in your area that are also in this database, the more accurate the locator will be.

It's similar to the technology used on the iphone, except cell phone towers are used instead of hotspots.

That's not entirely reassuring

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I really must not be understanding something here...

-Why bother with the $20 apps? I can get them free via jailbreak. (and why would I want to give Apple more money, when all they do is continually gently caress me over for being an early adopter)
-What's the point in the SDK? It sounds like it will be tightly controlled, will cost money, and will load applications through iTunes and whatnot. I can get all the apps I want via jailbreak already, and Installer is honestly a far better program than iTunes.
-What motivation is there for choosing official apps over homebrew?

Is Apple being ignorant here or am I? :smith:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

kevdude posted:

Apple are employing the tried-and-tested business practise of "charge the user for a service that is inferior to what they are already getting for free". So clearly you're the ignorant one here. :v:

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
my touch is jailbroken, can i upgrade to 1.13 with no problems?

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
For anyone having trouble getting the Vista 64 version of iTunes 7.6, you have to go to Apple's site in Internet Explorer. Apparently if you use Firefox it won't realize you're running 64-bit and it'll give you the 32-bit version.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
I've heard many people feel screwed by buying any first generation Mac product. I personally think it's bogus they are making people pay $20, but whatever. My concern is if 16GB is really enough? I don't have a monster mp3 collection, but I would like to keep a video on there at all times on top of all my songs. I've talked with people and the like and they say 16GB is pretty small, but I don't know if I'd really run out of this? I can't even think if my collection has 2,000 songs.

I thought about it, and I really do want one and their next upgrade is probably just a larger hard drive. I think the only upgrade to it would would probably be storage, but I just am sitting here thinking if I want 16GB or if I'm going to nuke it faster than I think. I would just get a Classic and be done with it, but I really want to tinker with and fool around with something cool. Hell, the thought of sitting on my couch with an mp3 player on the INTERNET is cool, so I don't know. Seems so neat.

VibrioCholera fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 17, 2008

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

VibrioCholera posted:

I've talked with people and the like and they say 16GB is pretty small, but I don't know if I'd really run out of this? I can't even think if my collection has 2,000 songs.

I had a 30gb ipod before my touch and a 30gb zen before that, and I had both of them jam-packed. I never listened to %80 of the stuff on either. All the scenarios I envisioned where it would have been great to have some album never happened and I just listened to my favorite 30 or so albums all the time.

I got the 8gb touch for christmas and I think even that's plenty. I just checked and I've got 62 albums, 2 movies, and 6 episodes of Clone High on there. 8hrs a day of music is no problem for me with that selection. 16gb is more than enough if you ask me.

Owsla fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 17, 2008

pearofducks
Jan 21, 2003

quack?
I'm running through the jailbreak on a new ipod, i'm on 1.1.1 right now, but I can't get the 1.1.2 update. Anyone have a location to download it or can they send it to me from their iPod updates folder or something?

edit//nevermind, found it...christ this is a horrible process, i'm writing a guide and hosting all the updates when i'm done with this bullshit...

pearofducks fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 17, 2008

Justin
Jan 17, 2002

This campaign is SERIOUS BUSINESS

stoops posted:

Nope. I would really wait until they jailbreak 1.1.3.

Also don't even update to Itunes 7.6.

I hear some touches that are upgraded 1.1.3 before upgrading 7.6 are having serious problems.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

Owsla posted:

I had a 30gb ipod before my touch and a 30gb zen before that, and I had both of them jam-packed. I never listened to %80 of the stuff on either. All the scenarios I envisioned where it would have been great to have some album never happened and I just listened to my favorite 30 or so albums all the time.

I got the 8gb touch for christmas and I think even that's plenty. I just checked and I've got 62 albums, 2 movies, and 6 episodes of Clone High on there. 8hrs a day of music is no problem for me with that selection. 16gb is more than enough if you ask me.

Exactly. I keep thinking, "What if I want that comedy album of Tiny Tim? What will I ever do without having Tiny Tim on there? Oh wait, I'm just going to repeat that Who album anyways."

The fact is, I only really listen to so much music. 80s bands, 60s and 70s, I don't need it all at once. Hell, I replay the same songs year in and year out. I could probably fit every old song that I could possibly think of on there and still have room.

I might go pick one up because of this and the grand idea that I can do things on it while at school. Is the battery life on this thing human or will it die quickly?

pearofducks
Jan 21, 2003

quack?
Do notes sync on 1.1.2? I use notes a ton and don't see anything in iTunes about syncing them with notes in mail and don't see anyway for them to sync.

(I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, I figured between the 1.1.3 update and jailbroke 1.1.2 there might be different functionality, but I want to make sure)

Other possibly dumb question: Is there a way to directly add video to the touch without having to add it to the iTunes library first?

pearofducks fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 17, 2008

Scratch2k
Jul 30, 2002
( . ) ( . )

VibrioCholera posted:

I thought about it, and I really do want one and their next upgrade is probably just a larger hard drive. I think the only upgrade to it would would probably be storage, but I just am sitting here thinking if I want 16GB or if I'm going to nuke it faster than I think. I would just get a Classic and be done with it, but I really want to tinker with and fool around with something cool. Hell, the thought of sitting on my couch with an mp3 player on the INTERNET is cool, so I don't know. Seems so neat.

I feel your pain and went through the same thing over the last 24 hours.

I eventually decided on the 16Gb Touch because like most people, while my music collection is large (I was considering the 160Gb Classic) I really only listen to 30-40 albums regularly anyway. I am also never away from a computer for more than 8 hours so if I get a real desire to listen to something not already on the iPod I can easily move it over.

The tinkering factor also played a large part, I stood in the store for a good 30 minutes playing with the Classic and Touch, alternating between the two and I just kept going back to the Touch, the interface is so slick and intuitive and the screen is beautiful. The additional apps you can install and run are just gravy.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Videodora is pretty good wuith file sizes and the quality of what it looks like. Honestly you can use H.264, get a file of 300-500MB and it still is pretty high quality. so You can fit 15 movies on the touch and still have half its memory for music.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
Is the option to purchase the "January Software Update" down for anyone else right now? All I get is a button that says "Remind me later". This could be good for us Touch owners.

pearofducks
Jan 21, 2003

quack?

Stutes posted:

Is the option to purchase the "January Software Update" down for anyone else right now? All I get is a button that says "Remind me later". This could be good for us Touch owners.

Thats because you are running 1.1.2. Update to 1.1.3 and you'll get the option.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

kevdude posted:

I really must not be understanding something here...

-Why bother with the $20 apps? I can get them free via jailbreak. (and why would I want to give Apple more money, when all they do is continually gently caress me over for being an early adopter)
-What's the point in the SDK? It sounds like it will be tightly controlled, will cost money, and will load applications through iTunes and whatnot. I can get all the apps I want via jailbreak already, and Installer is honestly a far better program than iTunes.
-What motivation is there for choosing official apps over homebrew?

Apple is the one being ignorant, in my opinion, if you assume two things:

1) 1.1.3 (and future updates deemed "needed" by users) can and will be jailbroken.
2) People continue developing apps for jailbreak whose quality rivals or beats those available officially.

Who knows what'll happen, though.

edit: to actually answer your questions, the obvious answer for most people to the first and third is "to avoid piracy", both morally and hassle-wise. The answer to the second could be "the point of the SDK is to allow me (an app developer) to make some money".

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 17, 2008

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

VibrioCholera posted:

Is the battery life on this thing human or will it die quickly?

I think it's great. I listen to it all day at work and surf/watch video/etc all night after work, and the battery never gets below %18 or so before I throw it on the charger for the night.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
The only time I came close to completely killing the battery was when I spent all day ssh'ed into the touch without in being hooked up to a charging cable. I was down to <10% on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?

stoops posted:

Yes, you can. I did it yesterday. It won't be jailbroken anymore, though...

pearofducks posted:

Other possibly dumb question: Is there a way to directly add video to the touch without having to add it to the iTunes library first?

Again yes. If the file is the right format you can just drag it from your file explorer of choice into iTunes and drop it on the iPod.

• Locked thread