Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slap Happy
Apr 14, 2006

Maybe he likes surrounding himself with items that are significant to him instead of living in an Ikea catalog like some goons? It's pretty tacky sure, but it's his home and we don't know anything about all that stuff and why he has it.

Maybe his family is deeply rooted in Chinese history or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Black people should be rooted in black history. Katanas are retarded unless you are asian and at least 175 years old (and older).

fliegenfischen
Jan 24, 2004

Explosm posted:

Maybe he likes surrounding himself with items that are significant to him instead of living in an Ikea catalog like some goons? It's pretty tacky sure, but it's his home and we don't know anything about all that stuff and why he has it.

Maybe his family is deeply rooted in Chinese history or something?

You're right. It's not esthetically pleasing, but prob has sentimental value. Hey it's your house. Do what makes you happy.

Mike Hock
Jun 22, 2005

The gift that gives back.
Thanks, for all the compliments and criticism. Yeah, like someone already said, I really do need an interior decorator. This is my first house and I know nothing about most of that crap which is why some of it looks so thrown together and incongruous. I like Asian art which explains the stuff on the wall and the katanas were a gift so I like keeping them somewhere I can see them instead of cramming them in a closet somewhere. Yeah, I know I'm black and should have African art up or something, but I really like the vibe of the Asian stuff, really relaxes me.

Also, my tastes are a little weird, as I like some of the modern looking stuff like the TV stand but I also like some of that cozy old lady type poo poo, which explains the sorority for old bitches look. Once I get bored of this look I'll probably upgrade to something more dude-like and modern but for right now I kinda like the cozy feel.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mike Hock posted:

Yeah, I know I'm black and should have African art up or something

huh? gently caress that, it's your house. At the end of the day you should have whatever makes you feel comfortable, not design your house around what goons say.

If you like Asian art have you tried eBay? You can get some nice paintings for very cheap.

I think "cherry blossom" art like this is nice.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Nice equipment Mike and I like the fact that you put stuff in the room that you enjoy, It's nice to see someone's personality in their house.

Mike Hock
Jun 22, 2005

kylej posted:

huh? gently caress that, it's your house. At the end of the day you should have whatever makes you feel comfortable, not design your house around what goons say.

If you like Asian art have you tried eBay? You can get some nice paintings for very cheap.

I think "cherry blossom" art like this is nice.

Trust me, I really don't care. I understand that not everyone is going to like a certain look and some people might say oh, you're a black guy why do you have all this Asian stuff instead of some African art or something but I made my choice. I was going go with the African theme but I've always had an affinity for Asian stuff and I just dig the vibe when I walk into the house. It has a real calming effect on me.

There have been some kickass setups posted here with that clean post-modern look and some of them have looked really nice. Others just look too cold and barren to me, especially some of that Ikea stuff. I was raised by my grandmother so I guess that explains my love for the frilly poo poo. Plus the ones on the side tables hide my surround speakers since I can see them through the glass table and I didn't really like that.

Thanks for the links, I'll definitely check them out.

Mike Hock
Jun 22, 2005

Owsla posted:

Nice equipment Mike and I like the fact that you put stuff in the room that you enjoy, It's nice to see someone's personality in their house.

Thanks, I know to some people it might not seem to gel but like I said, I was raised by my grandmother so that explains how there are some modern items in the place surrounded by some of that "old lady" frilly poo poo.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Mike Hock posted:

Trust me, I really don't care. I understand that not everyone is going to like a certain look and some people might say oh, you're a black guy why do you have all this Asian stuff instead of some African art or something but I made my choice. I was going go with the African theme but I've always had an affinity for Asian stuff and I just dig the vibe when I walk into the house. It has a real calming effect on me.

There have been some kickass setups posted here with that clean post-modern look and some of them have looked really nice. Others just look too cold and barren to me, especially some of that Ikea stuff. I was raised by my grandmother so I guess that explains my love for the frilly poo poo. Plus the ones on the side tables hide my surround speakers since I can see them through the glass table and I didn't really like that.

Thanks for the links, I'll definitely check them out.

I wasn't even really thinking the stuff. You could take all of that stuff and arrange it in a less tacky way. 3 big things I can think off just strait off to make the room more presentable are painting the walls because the room is to light, dumping all this black and white modern stuff that looks tacky as hell, and rearranging the furniture to actually give the room movement.

Seriously the asian thing isn't the issue, the fact that it all looks like it came from the dollar bin of the asian flea market is. The eclectic look only works with nice pieces. Why buy a house if you aren't going to actually take the time to make it look decent. You don't have to live in an ikea catalog, and I would prefer if less people did, but this is an affront to interior design.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

I finally finished setting up my gear after my speaker stands arrived today. It's a fairly modest setup, compared to some of the stuff in this thread.

TV- Audiovox FPE3206
Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR705
Xbox 360 Elite on top of
Xbox
Slim PS2 on top of
Samsung DVD-1080P7
Comcast SA Explorer 8300HD that sticks out like a sore thumb
Gusdorf TV stand
Speakers are the Vifa Microbes from the DIY thread, sitting on top of Energy Audio CSB-1 (I think) stands

Also pictured:
Logitech Harmony 880
Optimus Prime, Mirage, and Smokescreen
A piece of petrified wood I found in a coal mine in West Virginia.
Cheap-rear end Walmart DVD stand

I like the stand, but the color doesn't really match anything at all in my apartment, but it will do until I buy a house and have the space to build one.

Mistaken For Bacon fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 23, 2008

GhostSeven
Apr 23, 2005

Yesterday Was A Million Years Ago
Right nothing to crazy, in love with my RA-04 and my new Dell monitor :D

RA-04 + Headbox MKII + Grado SR60's

Full shot showing iMac, second monitor is fat rear end Dell, next to that LG 19" LCD TV, used as primary monitor on cheep rear end vista box, second monitor from the vista box out of shot sitting on the wall.

Lots of poo poo under the desk should really fix that, under the desk is Xbox 360, PS3, Sky Box HD-DVD 360 add on drive. APC UPS. All the video feeds go to the Dell as it does 1080p native so games look great!

Front speakers are old Mission M74

Second set of speakers behind me, not surround sound just B set from the RA-04 they are Eltax Monitor III's

Shot of the vista box's second monitor crappy 15" LCD just displays weather, clock etc may make it do something more useful, any ideas?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I finally got a real TV so now I can post in this thread. :)

Just setup the Sony KDS-50A3000 50" SXRD rear projection TV, it goes along with:
Panasonic SA-XR55S receiver
Axiom Audio M3ti front speakers
Cheap JBL center, Acoustic Research surround, and Yamaha 8" subwoofer speakers (combined cost less than the Axioms but fill their role well for my room)
Xbox 360, Comcast digital cable DVR, and coming in tomorrow an Oppo 980H DVD player as sources

I'm really happy with the television, after doing a lot of research this Sony set has the least compromises and best picture quality of anything I could find for the $1299 price.

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.

Dr. Video Games 0027 posted:

I'm really happy with the television, after doing a lot of research this Sony set has the least compromises and best picture quality of anything I could find for the $1299 price.

That set was a goddamn steal at $1299. I paid $2300 for the A2000 two years ago. Good job. You won't find anything with a better picture, aside from plasmas starting over $2500.

RandomG
Mar 7, 2004
I LUV HONDA <3 ~<3 ~ <3 ~<3 ~ <3 ~<3 ~

Just setup the Sony KDS-50A3000 50" SXRD rear projection TV, it goes along with:

I was going to say, that's the only good excuse for leaving those stickers on.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Panasonic SA-XR55S receiver
Axiom Audio M3ti front speakers
Cheap JBL center, Acoustic Research surround, and Yamaha 8" subwoofer speakers (combined cost less than the Axioms but fill their role well for my room)
Xbox 360, Comcast digital cable DVR, and coming in tomorrow an Oppo 980H DVD player as sources

That's a nice loving deal.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007
If you take a look in Frys ads for whatever reason they are discounting the Sony a3000 TVs like crazy. I got my 55a3000 for $1399, not from Frys but price matched their ad at ABT. It is an unbelievable deal for the quality of TV if you ask me.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Supposedly Sony is discontinuing production of all RPTVs so they'll have some good deals now or in the upcoming months.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah I picked my 50A3000 up at Fred Meyer for the $1299 price. From what I read on slickdeals Sony sold a lot of these sets to Kroger for a special superbowl promotion. Some Krogers in the midwest are selling the 50A3000 and the Sony stand for $999. Unfortunately there are no Krogers in this area but Fred Meyer is owned by Krogers and seems to have picked up some of these sets to sell.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Yeah I picked my 50A3000 up at Fred Meyer for the $1299 price. From what I read on slickdeals Sony sold a lot of these sets to Kroger for a special superbowl promotion. Some Krogers in the midwest are selling the 50A3000 and the Sony stand for $999. Unfortunately there are no Krogers in this area but Fred Meyer is owned by Krogers and seems to have picked up some of these sets to sell.

Kroger, seriously? I've never seen a TV at a Kroger, they're grocery stores.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances

Sweet deal, but your audio configuration is giving me an OCD panic attack when I look at that image. One speaker inches from a rear barrier while the other is far from the wall. One closer to the TV while the other is father and closer to the viewer. The center channel off center?! I need to go lie down.

Of course, this is coming from someone who spent at least an hour with a measuring tape, adjusting and readjusting the positioning and angle of his speakers so they'd be PERFECTLY symmetrical in his room.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

vanilla slimfast posted:

TV: Samsung 40" 720p LCD (LNT-4042H)
STB: Motorola DCH-3200 (Comcast)
Receiver: Who knows, I suspect it's older than I am
Nintendo Wii
Sony PS2 (Slim model)
HTPC: Core2duo-based, running Linux/MythTV (build info here)

MythTV is running the MePo-Wide theme, and it looks loving great on this tv :)

Unfortunately, the TV stand we have currently has a closed back, so I can't put the HTPC in it or it overheats. I have a remote programmed for the HTPC, so the keyboard and mouse aren't used but I leave them plugged in just in case.

!UPDATE!

Got a new TV stand a few weeks ago and rearranged the room so the tv is now against the wall where the sofa used to be. Still need to get speaker stands, using tv trays as a stopgap for now :v:

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 24, 2008

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

vanilla slimfast posted:

!UPDATE!

Got a new TV stand a few weeks ago and rearranged the room so the tv is now against the wall where the sofa used to be. Still need to get speaker stands, using tv trays as a stopgap for now :v:

Okay, seriously, either turn on some lights, wait for daylight, prop the camera on something and use the timer, or don't bother posting pictures.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

ShaneB posted:

Okay, seriously, either turn on some lights, wait for daylight, prop the camera on something and use the timer, or don't bother posting pictures.

Took a better picture, that's as good as the lighting is going to get though (and the flash doesn't work very well)

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 24, 2008

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

vanilla slimfast posted:

Took a better picture, that's as good as the lighting is going to get though (and the flash doesn't work very well)

Much better! Apologies if I came across harsh before.

My setup (set seems to be blue with this white balance...):

Furniture: Vintage teak media center
LCD: Olevia 537H 37"
Integrated: NAD 312
Turntable: NAD 533 with Rega Elys cart
Speakers: B&W DM302 with lovely particle board stands
DVD: Denon DVD-900 that isn't even hooked up
Windows Media PC with suspended hard drives and essentially silent PSU/fans for HD content
Video games: Xbox 360, slimline PS2
Horrible Comcast HDTV/DVR box
Miscellany: Rockband mic, iPod, cell phone, pictures of recently deceased cat, framed picture of David Byrne, Candelas, drum, stuffed Pokemon received as gift and funny enough to leave chilling by the set.

I honestly don't know why I have that keyboard and mouse to the right of the PC - I have a wireless keyboard with a thumbstick mouse integrated into it. My cable management is "don't look behind the thing, okay?"

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

ShaneB posted:

Much better! Apologies if I came across harsh before.

My setup (set seems to be blue with this white balance...):

Furniture: Vintage teak media center
LCD: Olevia 537H 37"
Integrated: NAD 312
Turntable: NAD 533 with Rega Elys cart
Speakers: B&W DM302 with lovely particle board stands
DVD: Denon DVD-900 that isn't even hooked up
Windows Media PC with suspended hard drives and essentially silent PSU/fans for HD content
Video games: Xbox 360, slimline PS2
Horrible Comcast HDTV/DVR box
Miscellany: Rockband mic, iPod, cell phone, pictures of recently deceased cat, framed picture of David Byrne, Candelas, drum, stuffed Pokemon received as gift and funny enough to leave chilling by the set.

I honestly don't know why I have that keyboard and mouse to the right of the PC - I have a wireless keyboard with a thumbstick mouse integrated into it. My cable management is "don't look behind the thing, okay?"

I like those speakers a lot. You really shouldn't put your 360 vertical though if you can help it. Or on another piece of electronic equipment. They break at alarming rates and both of those can contribute to the problem.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Thoogsby posted:

I like those speakers a lot. You really shouldn't put your 360 vertical though if you can help it. Or on another piece of electronic equipment. They break at alarming rates and both of those can contribute to the problem.

I was under the impression that vertical placement was entirely unrelated to the heat issue. It's not any hotter vertical! It's just a manufacturing issue. And the top of the PC isn't really hot at all.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

ShaneB posted:

I was under the impression that vertical placement was entirely unrelated to the heat issue. It's not any hotter vertical! It's just a manufacturing issue. And the top of the PC isn't really hot at all.

I always heard that the vertical placement can speed up the process of the drive loving up. And it can scratch your precious discs.

:smith:

antix
May 20, 2003

Sharp 42" 1080p Aquos
Yamaha RXV1200
Xbox 360 (mine is more quiet when its vertical)
Toshiba DVD player
Soundstage 2x6" center channel (which I had to put behind the tv)
JBL studio series w/12" woofers in the front (S312SII)
JBL Northridge 8" rears (N28II)

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Your picture gave me a brilliant idea. Taxidermy'd house pets with speakers in them.

I like the stand and the coffee table.

wasp_f15ing
Feb 27, 2004

For once you must try not to shirk the facts: mankind is kept alive by bestial acts

Bah.. I upgraded to another 24" with 1:1 pixel mapping for my 360, I need to get rid of that 19" at the end, its just so nice to have itunes on it though :p

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

wasp_f15ing posted:

Bah.. I upgraded to another 24" with 1:1 pixel mapping for my 360, I need to get rid of that 19" at the end, its just so nice to have itunes on it though :p

Obligatory where did you get that wallpaper?

Sultry Fungus
Oct 29, 2006

Phallic Fungus make me happy.

wasp_f15ing posted:

What speakers are those? And what amp/receiver do you have powering them?

Tapeta
Aug 31, 2004
Ekaru Hoppa Do Pe Tapeta

wasp_f15ing posted:

What table is that? That's not the :fap: right?

wasp_f15ing
Feb 27, 2004

For once you must try not to shirk the facts: mankind is kept alive by bestial acts
The wallpaper comes from here:-

http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2007/02/10/300-gallery-frank-millers-300.htm

The speakers are Yamaha NS100 powered by a Naim Audio Nait 3, with a Yamaha YSTSW-800. The sound is phenomenal the Naim Audio. I was a huge fan of 5.1 but this naim and it's stereo imaging capabilities make me quake at how awesome audio can be. The amp is supposed to be quite pricey I got it off ebay in excellent condition from a real hi-fi fanatic.

The headphones are Sennheiser HD600 powered by a pro-ject headbox. I love my audio :)

I am happy with my current set up, not ultra hi-end but its just perfect for me. With good 1080p pannels in the UK costing so much I am staying with this monitor. I want to get an LCD 1080p with LED backlighting when they become cheaper!

Next upgrade? A nicer PC chair and a Sennheiser HD650.

That desk is 1.5m from Argos a UK chain dealer.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

wasp_f15ing posted:

The wallpaper comes from here:-

http://comicbooks.about.com/b/2007/02/10/300-gallery-frank-millers-300.htm

The speakers are Yamaha NS100 powered by a Naim Audio Nait 3, with a Yamaha YSTSW-800. The sound is phenomenal the Naim Audio. I was a huge fan of 5.1 but this naim and it's stereo imaging capabilities make me quake at how awesome audio can be. The amp is supposed to be quite pricey I got it off ebay in excellent condition from a real hi-fi fanatic.

The headphones are Sennheiser HD600 powered by a pro-ject headbox. I love my audio :)

I am happy with my current set up, not ultra hi-end but its just perfect for me. With good 1080p pannels in the UK costing so much I am staying with this monitor. I want to get an LCD 1080p with LED backlighting when they become cheaper!

Next upgrade? A nicer PC chair and a Sennheiser HD650.

That desk is 1.5m from Argos a UK chain dealer.

Thanks for the link, the shots are completely amazing and ridiculously high res.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I rearranged and upgraded some furniture since my first post, so here are some updated shots. With tax return monies I will be upgrading my main PC, and then using the guts of that to build an HTPC. This will let me finally sever the bundle of cables running from my desk to the tv. Speakers are next on the upgrade list after that.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

^^^^^ Nice! . . . I especially like the pipes. Shivadas? :420:

Can anyone who has a projector tell me how they solve their wiring issues?

I have the projector behind my head but of course a lot of the wiring needs to be routed up front. Here is what I have:

Behind me:
Benq W500 projector
Shuttle SFF HTPC (Dvo Series)
Pioneer 600W HTS-GS1 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System
potentially: DVD player, Playstation 2 and mebbe a Xbox

In front of me (everything else):
2x Samsung 225BW LCD monitors
3d workstation (FULL TOWER 2x xeon 2.8g)

The receiver is built into the subwoofer (made for Xbox) and really needs to be moved to the front. This way I can finally mount the speakers etc. Unfortunately, that would require running an optical audio cable to the shuttle in back OOOORRRR I could move the shuttle and soundsystem upfront and run the video cable back there. Unfortunately a VGA cable loses signal and a 35 foot HDMI cable is pretty expensive. I don't know how much 35 foot component cables cost but that is another option I guess.

So what should I do? Move EVERYTHING to the front and just run a some kind of video cable back to the projector? OOORRR keep the shuttle (DVD player and game systmes) in the back and run a 35 foot optical audio cable to the speaker system in the front?

Either way it seems like I have about a 35 foot span to deal with.
I DO have a slingbox but it is not HD and so useless :(

EDIT:
FRONT
This is me looking at the projection on my wall. I live in a tiny studio apt. so my options are pretty drat limited. I have since moved the tables with the monitor sideways, so they don't get in the way of the picture. I will be mounting the projector on the ceiling soooon.

EDIT2:
BACK
My tiny POS apt is nothing compared to most goon's setups but hopefully someday I will have some decent pics to show. In the meantime my projector is on a cooler. :-/

VVVV I have a 2 footer (cost me more money than I would like to divulge) and I am paranoid about it breaking. No idea how to store it in such a small room. I bought a soft case for it but that requires me emptying out the water each time I want to store it. Maybe find an old 3 foot high speaker cabinet and put it in there? I am at a loss. I think my waterpipe costs more than some stereo equipment.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 26, 2008

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

sigma 6 posted:

^^^^^ Nice! . . . I especially like the pipes. Shivadas? :420:

The bong peeking it's head out in the back corner is Shivadas, the bubbler on the desk is from a Phish show lot back in 97. Usually one or the other is sitting on the fold down console in the couch :420:

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

sigma 6 posted:

The receiver is built into the subwoofer (made for Xbox) and really needs to be moved to the front. This way I can finally mount the speakers etc. Unfortunately, that would require running an optical audio cable to the shuttle in back OOOORRRR I could move the shuttle and soundsystem upfront and run the video cable back there. Unfortunately a VGA cable loses signal and a 35 foot HDMI cable is pretty expensive. I don't know how much 35 foot component cables cost but that is another option I guess.

So what should I do? Move EVERYTHING to the front and just run a some kind of video cable back to the projector? OOORRR keep the shuttle (DVD player and game systmes) in the back and run a 35 foot optical audio cable to the speaker system in the front?

Either way it seems like I have about a 35 foot span to deal with.

If you are going to run 35 feet of cable, you definitely want to run digital if you can. VGA or component cables are analog and therefore subject to interference over longer distances. Based on pure cost, it looks like running an optical cable is the cheapest approach.

35ft TOSLink optical cable - 11 bucks at monoprice: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=2831&seq=1&format=2
A 50ft one would only cost like 2 bucks more, if you want to play it safe on distance

25ft HDMI cable - 40 bucks at monoprice (you'd have to couple two cables together they don't sell any longer lengths): http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10243&cs_id=1024001&p_id=3990&seq=1&format=2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

sigma 6 posted:

Can anyone who has a projector tell me how they solve their wiring issues?

We have a 2" plastic flex conduit running from the back of the wall unit to the projector. It's carrying a 50' length of component cable from bluejean cables and an hdmi cable to the projector. The HDMI is from the ps3 and the component is from our receiver that combines all the dvd players/consoles etc. That's all our sources right there, the only thing behind us is the projector and stand. We've experienced no interference for what it's worth.

The conduit is snaked behind lots of stuff (wall unit, dvd racks, absolutely gigantic tower subwoofer, couch, etc) so you can barely see it until it goes up the back of the projector stand. Even then it's all black conduit and we keep the room blacked out most of the time so while it's not perfect aesthetically, it's really not bad.

Owsla fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 26, 2008