Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.
Derf. His name is a pun. Segata Sanshirou turns into Sega Sata-n shiro which means "Play Sega Saturn."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cha
Dec 10, 2006

I vote for Sumire. SHE HAS MONEY AND CLEAVAGE

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

TheGreenAvenger posted:

Derf. His name is a pun. Segata Sanshirou turns into Sega Sata-n shiro which means "Play Sega Saturn."

Shouldn't he have been named 'Segasa Tanshirou then? :confused:

Or would that have been too obvious.

Dominic Hokage
Nov 11, 2003

wdarkk posted:

Voting for Sumire. Karate-girl looks like a man.

It's the insides that count.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Dominic Hokage posted:

I'm all about the real estate.

Cha
Dec 10, 2006

Dominic Hokage posted:

No amount of shark-kicking is worth people looking at your girlfriend and doing a double-take because they think she's a man

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008

TheGreenAvenger posted:

It also refers to the, at the time of the first Segata commercials, new white Sega Saturns. At first in Japan, Saturns were a grey color; the better known white Saturns were released later.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
He's also supposed to be a ref to a person named Sugata Sanshiro, but my memory may be wonky.

Putting in an advance vote for Glycine. :awesomelon:

Schadenfraulein
Dec 23, 2006
a front row seat to the gun show

Cha posted:

No amount of shark-kicking is worth people looking at your girlfriend and doing a double-take because they think she's a man

At any rate, they'll never mistake you for a man.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Any idea yet when the next update's supposed to be?

It HAS been a while.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
I just discovered the wonders of the R button on the Dreamcast version of Sakura Taisen. Text goes by at light speed (about one screen per two frames), and most animations are sped up or skipped. It only took a few minutes to get to the first battle.

I rushed a bit though the battle, to get it all in YouTube's time limits, but it shows the entirety of the first battle using the grid based system. One notable difference is that in the Dreamcast version, the boss is sitting on the map from the start, while in the PS2 version you have to beat all of the Wakiji first.

I also piss off Sakura.

First Battle Dreamcast Version
Spirit Armor's PS2 video of the same battle Part 1 - Part 2

Kohran's minigame and the minigame win pictures come later. Kohran's will have to wait until next week, but I doubt that bothers anyone. I can probably upload the pictures within a few days.

For the record, here are the old videos.
Sakura's Minigame
Iris' Minigame
(Shooting) Hatsumode Minigame
Sumire's minigame
Maria's minigame
Kanna's minigame

Cha
Dec 10, 2006

Schadenfraulein posted:

At any rate, they'll never mistake you for a man.

Awww. :saddowns:

He's good at getting dressed, at least..?

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Wow, I accidentally came across a spoiler that will probably make a lot of people sad. So, er, don't read this unless you've played them, I guess. Ayame dies?

Schadenfraulein
Dec 23, 2006
a front row seat to the gun show

Revenant Threshold posted:

Ayame dies?

Long story short, yes. In the second game, Fujieda Kaede, Ayame's younger sister, assumes the role of Vice-Commander. Both characters are played by Orikasa Ai.

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.

Schadenfraulein posted:

Long story short, yes. In the second game, Fujieda Kaede, Ayame's younger sister, assumes the role of Vice-Commander. Both characters are played by Orikasa Ai.

And its as if nothing happened. Way to backpedal, Sega!

Morgenthau fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 22, 2008

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Love, Justice, and Mid-Season Upgrades Steam-Powered Robots.
Sorry for the delay; I got back into town yesterday and, for the most part, I've been sleeping since then. At least I'd gotten most of the next update and the most of the one after THAT finished, so I'll have something up tonight.

Also, I've tallied up the votes yet again, and here's where things stand. Also, this is now the preliminary round of voting- in a couple of chapters, the three characters with the LEAST amount of votes will be cut out, and everyone will end up voting on which of the top three will be the keeper.

So, uh, now that it doesn't really matter who's in first or second or third place, I'm hoping this will encourage some of you to change your votes so that you're trying to boost your favorite character into the Top Three instead of figuring that it's a forgone conclusion and voting for the bandwagon and/or voting "Anyone But X."

:frogbon:

If that doesn't take, I might just end up resetting votes after all.

The Top Three

[Sumire]

35 Votes

[Kanna]

26 Votes

[Maria]

24 Votes

The Bottom Three

[Kohran]

17 Votes

[Iris]

3 Votes

[Sakura]

0 Votes

Now then...

TapamN posted:

More Videos Than God

Holy poo poo, that's a lot of videos Thanks for uploading more videos! I safely say that I've finally seen the original version of Sakura Wars.

I'm still frightened that Sakura functioned as a mobile siege weapon. And with her unlimited final attack, it's not too difficult to tell which character was supposed to be Ogami's intended One True Pairing. :downs:

demota posted:

Putting in an advance vote for Glycine.

Vote noted, ye of good taste. :patriot:

Bobfly posted:

Shouldn't he have been named 'Segasa Tanshirou then?

The name 'Segata Sanshiro' is also a pun off of Sugata Sanshiro, the title Judo-obsessed character of Kurosawa's first directed film. It's no coincidence that Segata Sanshiro ALSO uses Judo.

Locus Cosecant
Jan 12, 2008
Way to be an update, Spirit Armor's post. :argh:

Changing my vote to Kohran.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Aww. I cannot sit while such a face exists!

My vote from Sumire to Sakura, at least until the next round of voting. Poor girl deserves at least one.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm voting for Kohran. Maybe twice.

I also wholly oppose your voting scheme because it will leave Kohran out. Just redo voting from scratch for EVERYONE and then runoff the top 2.

Also stop keeping running totals it encourages stupid strategic voting. :argh:

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008

Spirit Armor posted:

[Sakura]

0 Votes
Hey, I gave Sakura a pity vote, so she has at least one.

Ah, all of you people throwing spoilers around... I could beat you all in regards to who dies. Stuff that isn't on Wikipedia.

Heh, there's really only two who are going to be in ST3's top rankings... :black101: and :ssj: . Maybe a few votes for :blush: , with :catholic: and :pedo: relegated to Sakura's and Iris' places.

Anyways, here are the minigame win pictures. I took the screenshots with a composite cable, I couldn't find my real s-video cable, and when I tried my VGA box's s-video output, it was... sharper, but had a horrible dot pattern and random distortions. It was actually pretty cool, but not suitable for this. I haven't modified the win pictures other than fixing a contrast problem my TV tuner has, so if you want to try to clean up Sumire for wallpaper, all you have to deal with is a little JPEG compression.

Top floor of the old ST1 theather. It's missing the stairs to the attic and the game room. This screenshot is from the first chapter, so Kanna and Kohran haven't moved in yet. I find it odd that you can't see the first floor from the front, but can see the inside of the courtyard.

Ground floor of the old ST1 theather. The guest entrance and courtyards are not selectable locations; they first become selectable in ST2. It's also missing the music room.

This is what everyone was waiting for, wasn't it?

Reach for your dreams, kid.

:cry:

ET phone home... (You get... odd/amusing reactions after viewing the win pictures.)

TapamN fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 23, 2008

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

[Kanna]

Forget the "what's wrong?"! Look at this!!

[Ogami]

.... what?

[Sumire]

My oh my-- how can you be so carefree?! We are telling you to LOOK at this!

----
[Ogami]

What the hell are you guys TALKING about!?

[Kohran]

Oh, c'mon, Ogami-han, stop foolin' with us! THIS! LOOK at THIS!!

[Ogami]

For chrissakes, you've been thrusting a goddamn receipt for ten gallons of lard in my face for the past five minutes!

[Kohran]

What!? Pull th' other one, it's got bells on--

[Kohran]

-- oh, poo poo, yer right. Sorry, I must've grabbed th' wrong piece of paper. Hold on, I'll go get it.

[Sumire]

Ten gallons of lard? Wait... why does the theater need ten gallons of lard?

[Kanna]

Well, you know... I get kind of hungry at night sometimes.

[Sumire]

... that's disgusting.

[Kanna]

No it ain't! Look, my doctor told me that it was perfectly okay!

[Sumire]

Really now.

[Kanna]

Okay, fine, he REALLY said "oh god oh god okay fine you can eat whatever the hell you want, just stop kicking me in my brittle old man hip."

[Sumire]

... I suppose that a 500-pound gorilla CAN do whatever it wishes.

----

[Iris]

"Farewell. Iris will be living alone now.
I'm ten years old today. Don't look for me, okay.
Oniichan, you IDIOT!
~ Iris."

As Ogami looked at the piece of paper clutched in Kohran's hands, he noticed how... fresh the ink looked. Was it a forgery? No, that was Iris's handwriting, alright... only the things SHE wrote could glow like runes of demonic power, and--

Ogami's mind suddenly focused on one, terrible thought: when did Iris write this letter?

He'd sent her out of the theater with Ogami-Robo a little over an hour ago. He'd SEEN her take the trolley out somewhere into the city. Iris couldn't possibly have written that letter before she left- the ink was still drying, and besides, the little girl-thing looked happy enough. But then, Iris couldn't have come back into the theater this quickly- going into town wouldn't be too hard, but coming BACK to Ginza should have taken more time, given the traffic...

... what the hell was going ON here?

[Ogami]

Th... this is?

[Maria]

We tried searching within the theater, but... she isn't anywhere to be found.

----

[Ogami]

I don't know! She invited me out on a date with her, but as to WHERE she's gone...

[Ogami]

W... what do you mean, if I lie... come on, please trust me!

----
[Kanna]

Look, Captain, you're a great guy and all, but we're kind of worried that you're a, er...

[Sakura]

A flaming loliphile who's done horrible things to Iris.

[Ogami]

What!? Shouldn't you be worried that Kohran all of you SHE'S done horrible things to ME?

[Sakura]

Then why were you so sweet on her when you first came to the theater!?

[Ogami]

Look, I thought we were OVER that! It's not like I was HITTING on Iris when I first met her, it's just that the sight of blond hair does weird things to my mind, and--

[Maria]

[Ogami]

-- oooookay, so maybe that wasn't the best excuse. But believe me, I wouldn't lay a hand on Iris! SHE SCARES THE LIVING HELL OUT OF ME.

[Kohran]

Look, Ogami-han, you've jes' gotta remember that loliphilia is BAD. Think 'bout it this way: ya don't shovel spoonfuls of cookie dough into yer mouth, you've gotta wait 'til th' cookies have finished bakin' afore you eat 'em.

[Ogami]

What? That's a horrible metaphor, cookie dough is loving delicious--

[Ogami]

... wait, I--

[Ogami]

-- poo poo.

----

[Sumire]

What in the world could it be?

[Kohran]

You'll understand when ya see it! C'mon, Ogami-han, gimme yer head.

[Ogami]

Wh, what're you doing!?

(... a lot of struggling and a few tranquilizer darts later ...)

[Ogami]

Th... this is...!?

[Kohran]

It's my newest invention! Th' lie detector, "Mister Truth"!

[Kanna]

A lie detector!? That sounds kinda amazing!

[Kohran]

It's real simple to use! It can tell whether or not you're lyin' jes' from your answer to a question!

[Sumire]

As usual, it appears that making bizarre devices is your specialty.

[Sakura]

D, don't tell me... if you tell a lie, it'll explode or something...

[Kohran]

'Course it will. What else'd it do if it doesn't explode?

[Ogami]

H, hold on a second! You hadn't said anything about THAT!

----
[Ogami]

Couldn't you just, you know, make it do something like sound a buzzer? Or a cute little red flag? Or something that WON'T pulp my head like an overripe melon?

[Kohran]

Are ya kiddin' me? There ain't no fun in somethin' like THAT! Besides, yer exaggeratin'. At worst, it'll jes' punch a hole through th' top of yer head and ventilate things in there a little bit.

[Ogami]

Okay, fine, but I'm telling you that the end result will be the same no matter how much or how little explosive power you equip it with! Get this thing off of me!!

[Kanna]

Awww, c'mon, Captain, don't be such a little wuss! Besides, we want to see some blood!

[Ogami]

Excuse me?

[Sumire]

Kanna, would you kindly shut up!? You're going to give it away!

[Kanna]

Oh, er, whoops. I mean, uh, nothing! Nothing at all.

[Ogami]

GOD I can't wait 'til those restraining orders get through the system.

----

[Kohran]

Alright, let's hurry up and get started. In place of actually testin' out Makoto-kun, let's go with some easy questions.
Are you Ichiro Ogami?

----
[Ogami]

YOU HAVEN'T TESTED THIS THING OUT YET!?

[Kohran]

Pfff, details, details! You ARE th' test, man. Now answer th' question before yer head a splode.

----

[Ogami]

Yes!

[Kohran]

Well, ya passed that first one easy. If you'd said "no" here, it'd have exploded.

----
[Ogami]

Or it might have exploded if I'd said yes, because you hadn't actually tested the thing out yet.

[Kohran]

Well, aren't YOU Mister Anal-Retentive this morning.

----

[Ogami]

Oi, Kohran! I'm begging you, get this thing off of me!

[Kohran]

Here we go with the second question!

[Kanna]

Hold up! Let me bring up the next question!

[Kohran]

W, wait up, Kanna-han!

[Kanna]

C'mon, there aren't gonna be any problems, right? We're still testing this thing out!

----
[Ogami]

*whimper*

----

[Kanna]

... right, here's the second question. Do you like tomboyish women?

----
[Ogami]

[Ogami]

(Oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo I DON'T KNOW IF I DO OR NOT good god-- wait, wait, so if I answer 'yes', my head might explode, so maybe I should say 'no', which... would mean that my head might STILL explode AND piss off Kanna, who would pulverize--)

----

[Ogami]

Yes!

[Kohran]

It didn't explode... it looks like it wasn't a lie.

[Kanna]

I see... so you DO like tomboyish women, Captain.

[Sumire]

Well then, my trust in this device is dropping bit by bit. Is this thing actually functioning properly?

[Kohran]

Hmmm... that last question's gotten me pretty worried, too.

[Kohran]

Ah... the machine wasn't actually turned on! It wasn't actually workin'!

[Kanna]

Wh, what's up with THAT... that's just disappointing.

[Kohran]

There. Right, let's get down to th' main questions.

[Sakura]

[Kohran]

Do you know where Iris is right now?

[Ogami]

No!

[Kohran]

... it ain't explodin'.

[Maria]

If he answered "no" and it didn't explode...

[Sumire]

Then that means he REALLY does not know where she is... how boring.

[Kanna]

In the end, the Captain doesn't know either, huh... ch', can't be helped. Let's go, everyone.

[Ogami]

What's with that attitude? Even though I told the truth...

----
[Kanna]

Look, I'm telling you, we just wanted to see some blood.

[Sumire]

Do you have any idea how boring it gets around here in the morning?

[Ogami]

:cry:

[Ogami]

Even so... I'm also worried about where Iris has gotten off to.
In any case, I might as well search inside the theater.

What's really frightening about this event is...

... the fact that absolutely everyone seems to have disappeared...

... as if some sinister force is forcing Ogami to focus only on searching for Iris, blinding his feeble brain to anything else that might be going on in the theater.

:tinfoil:

----

For one thing, she had Ogami-Robo, and for another, she shouldn't actually be back yet.

----

You know...

I haven't really noticed this before, but I've come to realize just how many of the theater's windows are facing into the courtyard. The second that Ogami (or anyone else) steps into the courtyard, who knows HOW many people can see what he's doing?

And if you look closely at the second floor's map, you can see that Kohran, Iris, and Sumire's rooms all face the courtyard, giving them an unfettered view of anything that's going on down there, at any time of the day.

[Ogami]

... oh dear lord.

With almost indecent haste, Ogami rushed up the stairs and screeched to a halt in front of the door to Iris's room.

The door creaked open.

The tortured voices at the very edge of Ogami's hearing were louder than ever before, crowding into the ticket-taker's mind at every opportunity.

"... s... Iris Iris Iris Iris Ir..."

"... hurts... it hurts... Iris... n... o..."

"... ck... go back..."

"... ve me back... my body..."

Ogami gritted his teeth and forced his wandering mind to focus on the task at hand.

----

----

Ogami forced the book open, his fingers narrowly escaping the teeth set on the edges of the covers, and his eyes immediately started hurting as he looked at the pages within--

----

[Iris]

Tomorrow is Iris's birthday. I'm going to Asakusa, and go on a date with Oniichan.
Iris is really going to dress up, so Oniichan will surely melt in my hands.
And then in front of the fountain in the park, we're going to kiss. Hee-hee.

[Ogami]

Asakusa? I see! Iris was planning to take me on a date in Asakusa, huh?

----
[Ogami]

Hmm? There's something else under the sheets? It doesn't seem like a stuffed ani--

[Maria]

... what's that awful racket?

[Kanna]

Oh, that? It's probably the Captain screaming in a way that speaks of a complete and utter horror that has his tortured, scarred mind cringing in fear.

[Sumire]

What, again? ... Kohran, I believe it's your turn to see what's the matter with him.

[Kohran]

Right, right...

[Sakura]

Can I go with her?

[Maria]

Sakura, we forbade you from checking up on the Captain for the next three months because the LAST time you went, the screaming didn't actually stop.

[Sakura]

Eh, well, you can't blame me for trying.

[Sakura]

I'm killing YOU first, bitch.

[Maria]

Hmm? Did you say something?

[Sakura]

Nothing at all!

----

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 23, 2012

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So for extra veracity, can you say "yes" and have the lie-detector explode when asked if you know where Iris is?

Son Conan
Sep 25, 2007

Okay, this update just might be one of the funniest things I've seen today. The way that you handle all of the "unofficial" dialogue and characters is amazing.

My vote continues to go with Kohran.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
How can you not vote for Kohran after that!?

That was just about the only update so far where the in-character dialog was funnier than Spirit Armor's, and it was all thanks to her!

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Sindai posted:

How can you not vote for Kohran after that!?

That was just about the only update so far where the in-character dialog was funnier than Spirit Armor's, and it was all thanks to her!

EVERYTHING MUST EXPLODE. Vote Kohran.

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.
For explosions that produce more explosions, a vote for Kohran(not to mention chinese engineering.

Grunduggerer
Jan 20, 2007

Spirit Armor posted:

Why am I feeling bad for Iris now? Must change vote.... ahh... remember the huge tracts of land Grund...

whew... still voting for Sumire. That was a close one.

(and of course the lie detector should explode on the last question!)

Grunduggerer fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 23, 2008

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This thread has suddenly turned into The Terrible Secret of Sakura Wars.

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer
This is an amazing thread and I'm voting for Kohran

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Lockmat posted:

This is an amazing thread and I'm voting for Kohran

This makes you one of the most amazing people in this amazing thread.

Amazing!

Grunduggerer
Jan 20, 2007

Spirit Armor posted:

You know what she's thinking. "Come on, explode alllllll over me..."

GoodShipNostalgia
May 7, 2007

"The good ship Nostalgia for Infinity. Still very much as you left her."
n'thing the request that you show us what happens when Ogami lies. If it really explodes, Kohran so has my vote.

That being said, up until the big decision comes I'd like to see Ogami fail miserably as a be a pimp and go for everyone.

Dash Magnum
Jul 25, 2007

That's no moon...
It's a Face Station!
Ogami-Robooooo! Nooooooooooooo! :cry:

This was actually a really surreal update for me. Like someone already said, the actual dialog was nearly as awesomely crazy as the fake dialog; at times the whole thing seemed to blend into some sort of amazing brand of insanity.

I was kinda disappointed that there wasn't some catfight between Sumire and Kanna, like the end of the last update sort of hinted at. The lie-detector thing was amusing, but didn't really deliver in the explosion department (though everyone being there to see Ogami suffer rather than any concern for Iris' whereabouts was a hilarious touch).

Also was it just me or was the "Makoto-kun", spider-bot thing a reference to GITS? If so I think this game just took on a whole new level of :monocle: EDIT: Whoops...the character in GITS is named Motoko, but drat if that wasn't the first thing I thought of when I saw that.

Anyway, great update. Haven't really seen anything to make me want to change my vote yet though. Just have to wait and see though...

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
Putting in the 2nd-round vote for Kanna. Because Ogami does like tomboyish girls.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I love this thread.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

One Legged Cat posted:

Putting in the 2nd-round vote for Kanna. Because Ogami does like tomboyish girls.

He was obviously lying to end it all.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
What? What is this Kohran voting? How could we let this happen?

Comrades of the Soviet Union, this is no longer a battle for supremacy, but our very survival! The class struggle to dethrone the aristocratic Sumire is no longer important; we must defeat this influx of explosive maniacs if the proletariat is to be properly represented in the final vote! Stand together, comrades! We must not allow the Russian to be consigned to the dustbin of history! Make your voice heard in the Great Patriotic Election!

Also if we could nudge out the tomboy that would be a nice bonus, but survival comes first.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Grunduggerer posted:

This is the most disturbing post in the thread in many, many ways.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Sorry for the delay in, like, actually doing stuff. I've got the main bulk of the next update hammered out, and I should have something out by tonight, with any luck. Let's see how far I get running on two hours of sleep!

I'm both happy that the update seems to have gone down fairly well, and horribly amused that support for Kohran has, at least in part, gone up. WHY DO YOU ENJOY SEEING OGAMI SUFFER SO.

Glazius posted:

So for extra veracity, can you say "yes" and have the lie-detector explode when asked if you know where Iris is?

You know the answer to that question as well as I do. :colbert:

Bakanogami posted:

This thread has suddenly turned into The Terrible Secret of Sakura Wars.

As if it wasn't already?

Grunduggerer posted:

:gonk:

GoodShipNostalgia posted:

n'thing the request that you show us what happens when Ogami lies. If it really explodes, Kohran so has my vote.

I'll... get to that sometime after the next hyooj update. That, along with a few other extras that I've been meaning to get to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Spirit Armor posted:

I'm both happy that the update seems to have gone down fairly well, and horribly amused that support for Kohran has, at least in part, gone up. WHY DO YOU ENJOY SEEING OGAMI SUFFER SO.
What, like there is a possible outcome of the vote that does not result in suffering for Ogami?

• Locked thread