Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

^^^ Thanks!!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2752934

EDIT:

Looks like amazon has the Harmony 880 for around 150$ or less.
Thinking about picking up a 880. Why would I want a 890 over a 880? Looks like not much difference for the price hike.

EDIT2:

Stupid question, but can I daisy chain receivers? My lovely receiver (built in to the subwoofer) does not have any video input/output . . . only audio.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 26, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

sigma 6 posted:

Why would I want a 890 over a 880? Looks like not much difference for the price hike.

RF.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

sigma 6 posted:

Stupid question, but can I daisy chain receivers? My lovely receiver (built in to the subwoofer) does not have any video input/output . . . only audio.

If you're buying a new receiver and want to keep the sub, you could just send the sub output on your new receiver to audio input of the old receiver/sub.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

.Nathan. posted:

RF.

Which isn't much of a reason, unless your components are going to be in a closet or behind/to the side of you. I just ordered an 880 myself. One other benefit of going with an RF remote is you don't have to keep the remote pointed at the components for a couple seconds while it goes through a script for turning everything on and changing settings. I say that's what couch arms were made for, but whatever.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
circuitcity also has the 880 for $150 right now, but only till the end of the day probably.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Owsla posted:

If you're buying a new receiver and want to keep the sub, you could just send the sub output on your new receiver to audio input of the old receiver/sub.

Nahhh can't do that. The plugs are proprietary. Basically I want a receiver to take the incoming signals from the DVD player, PS2 and possibly an xbox and route them to one single optical audio which will travel across the room to the receiver built into the sub in the front. Because all of this stuff is going to be under the ceiling mounted projector, I can then use the same receiver to route the various video signals into one HDMI or component cables.

Alternatively I could put EVERYTHING in the front and then just run video cables to the projector in the back. Sounds like either way would be viable but running the audio up front would be cheaper, with less chance of signal loss.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
Proof that if you work yourself to death you can still afford nice things while in college.

I have been putting off taking photos because I have been waiting weeks for my shelves and lamps to be delivered, but I am tired of waiting and decided to just post the AV part.

Media PC running media portal on my Sony KDL-V32xbr2

Panasonic SA-XR57 Driving my JBL E30's which probably won't win any awards but have served me well, and will eventually be my rear surrounds when I get a larger apt.

Some Samsung up converting Player that I completely forget the model number.

Of course the 360 and a ps2

Not pictured: MY inday component amp that is splitting the signal between the set and my not pictured Sanyo Z5 which is ceiling mounted(don't tell my landlord!). The screen is a pull down high contrast gray dalite placed above the picture frames. Makes fighting games fun as hell, and with a bit of work 4 v 4 halo2 in the same room makes for a good time.

All furniture was built and finished by myself and my father, and I like to think it looks pretty decent. Aluminum legs are courtesy Ikea. I would like to thank Ikea for saving me 50 dollars, the cost of similar legs from a furniture parts wholesaler. Pictures still need colored matting but I hate cutting them.

lovely cable management is because I just reorganized, and when I added the 360 I ended up 1 component input short. I am waiting for my matrix switch and cables before I bother cleaning it up.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

circuitcity also has the 880 for $150 right now, but only till the end of the day probably.

It's $150 at Amazon all the time and there's a 10% rebate available from Logitech.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

King Nothing posted:

Which isn't much of a reason, unless your components are going to be in a closet or behind/to the side of you. I just ordered an 880 myself. One other benefit of going with an RF remote is you don't have to keep the remote pointed at the components for a couple seconds while it goes through a script for turning everything on and changing settings. I say that's what couch arms were made for, but whatever.

Yeah, it can be handy depending on the set-up, though. I have an 880 that i love, but i set up my dad's 890. It's kind of neat to be able to stand in the kitchen and control the audio system that's a couple rooms away. Unless you have a multi room set-up then it's sort of pointless. And there's a very slight delay in the RF->IR conversion sometimes.

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

mattfl posted:

I've seen many TV stands similar to the one in this shot throughout the thread (the bottom half of it). I'm looking for something to hold my 40" LCD I just ordered, and am looking for something similar. Anything that meets the following criteria would be great:

- Black / Black and Silver / Dark Wood
- As minimalistic as possible, 1 - 2 shelves only
- Open back (for 360 and such)
- Not going to break my bank

Where is everyone getting their TV stands?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I picked up a Logitech Harmony 520 from Sears for $59 the other day, they put them at that price every once in a while if anyone is looking. It really does work loving awesome.

Other than bigger/color screens what do the higher end Harmony remotes do that this doesn't? I know some have a few more buttons but really everything that isn't a hard button is easily done with soft buttons on the LCD.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

DoktorLoken posted:

Other than bigger/color screens what do the higher end Harmony remotes do that this doesn't? I know some have a few more buttons but really everything that isn't a hard button is easily done with soft buttons on the LCD.

Not much really. Everything from the 880 on up comes with a nice Li-ion battery and a dock for recharging the remote. Some can handle a few more activities and devices as well i think, but not a big deal. Mainly just the nicer screens and such. Even the new Harmony One coming out doesn't seem to add much other than tons of sexiness and a touch screen. Personally their middle-of-the road remotes confuse me the most. None of them look as good as the 520/550 or 880/890 and they don't seem to do anything that the 520 can't do just as well for cheaper.

I think the problem is that they've been developing their line for the last couple of years and not really phasing anything out. So the remotes have just sort of piled up and none are really that different other than a few tweaks here and there. Hopefully the Harmony One is a sign of things to come and they'll be revamping their entire line-up into a more consistant approach.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

.Nathan. posted:

Everything from the 880 on up comes with a nice Li-ion battery and a dock for recharging the remote.

This is why I got the 880, one of my coworkers has a model without rechargeable batteries and he says he has to change batteries once a week. I guess if you already have rechargeable batteries it's not too big a deal, but I don't so an integrated system was worth it to me.

fliegenfischen
Jan 24, 2004

Overture posted:

crate and barrel. except the breaking bank part. buy solid wood!

you could try west elm

Eurekapile
Jan 9, 2008

don't horace around
I started with logitech z560 setup a few years back. Read some forums, got really excited, and came out 1700 dollars poorer for it.

Subwoofer.
Oh god it is loud. Clean too. Spent lots of time making this, it's a sonosub. Designed to be huge, it's large size of around 300L lets me tune it at 16hz. Tuning the sub this low pushes port noise to a frequency below the range of human hearing, and with the sonosub design I get the flat and powerful response above port tuning. The only trade off, pretty obviously, is the size. It's capable of pretty much flat 113dB from <20hz to 100hz, very rarely do I ever get that loud though. Other sonosubs that are designed for movies can go even lower, such as 110dB at 14hz with a 13hz tuning frequency. Mine can't go that far down into the sub-hearing range. Still though, it's yummy bass.

Tc Sounds TC-2000
4ohm SVC
800W (can handle 1000+)
Xmax 28mm one way
8" port
~300L internal volume
6' tall cardboard tube, sub is about 6 1/2' total.
22" diameter.
Tuned to 18hz

Equipment.
Got lucky twice on the prices for this stuff.

Panasonic SA-XR55 digital reciever
Bought it for $155
100Watt per channel, optical in and all those goodies.
All digitial (oh so important)

Buttkicker BKA1000 subwoofer amplifier
Found for $150
1000 watts at 4 ohms

optical connection to Asus p5b Deluxe onboard sound.

Speakers.
Me and my friend built 2 pairs of these speakers. Made the boxes, modified crossover and put everything together. High efficient proaudio 10" woofer with a coaxial compression driver. They model to do 114dB flat and are an absolute a joy to listen to. insanely loud and clean and detailed and pretty much everything I'd every want in a speaker. They image very very well and are just so fun to hear. We had quite a time figuring out proper crossover design, as it was the first time for both of us. We suck at building things with wood, and painting.

Eminence Beta 10CX coaxial speaker
Sensitivity (1W/1m) 93.3dB
Frequency Response 58Hz - 20kHz
RMS Power Rating 250 Watts
10" Driver
coaxial horn for screw-on compression driver

Eminence PSD2002 1" 80W Compression Driver:
Usable frequency range: 1.5KHz-20KHz
Sensitivity (1W@1M): 105dB

Eminence PXB2 1k6 2-way crossover
Modified with custom 16db attenuation and also a RC zobel circuit.

40L DIY box
Ported box, custom made with 3/4 MDF by me and my friend. Started with sheets of wood, ended up with shapes that are almost boxes. Slather some primer and paint on and it's good enough.

Eurekapile fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 29, 2008

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Overture posted:

I've seen many TV stands similar to the one in this shot throughout the thread (the bottom half of it). I'm looking for something to hold my 40" LCD I just ordered, and am looking for something similar. Anything that meets the following criteria would be great:

I paid $200 from American Signature Furniture for my shelf.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

King Nothing posted:

This is why I got the 880, one of my coworkers has a model without rechargeable batteries and he says he has to change batteries once a week. I guess if you already have rechargeable batteries it's not too big a deal, but I don't so an integrated system was worth it to me.

I've had the 550 for close to 2 months now, I use it just about everyday and have yet had to change the batteries on it.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Pottery Barn has a lot of really nice media tables. That is if you're willing to spend the money.

KillGizmo
Jul 11, 2001

Run you little bastard! Run!

Thoogsby posted:

Pottery Barn has a lot of really nice media tables. That is if you're willing to spend the money.

Yup they do, I paid 1200 for mine but I love it.

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

Thoogsby posted:

As much as I'd love a table from Pottery Barn or Crate and Barrel, I simply don't have the money to spend after purchasing the HDTV. I'm also in the middle of moving into a new apartment, so other furniture is coming first.

Anyone have any recommendations for someone with a $200 budget? Should I just go to Ikea and call it a day?

One of the reasons I wanted to start working on a kick rear end home theater is so I always have something I can upgrade and work on, I don't need the best of everything right now. That said, I don't want to set my $1,500 LCD on a TV stand that is going to fall apart.

Bumpon10s
Dec 9, 2004

Gentleman, we have seen the future.

Overture posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for someone with a $200 budget? Should I just go to Ikea and call it a day?

Hit IKEA for sure, great furniture to upgrade upon and will cost you no more than $250, that said, make sure you buy an entertainment center with high clearences for a tall AV reciever. I made this mistake and have no room now for a nice 7.1 setup.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Overture posted:

As much as I'd love a table from Pottery Barn or Crate and Barrel, I simply don't have the money to spend after purchasing the HDTV. I'm also in the middle of moving into a new apartment, so other furniture is coming first.

One of the reasons I wanted to start working on a kick rear end home theater is so I always have something I can upgrade and work on, I don't need the best of everything right now. That said, I don't want to set my $1,500 LCD on a TV stand that is going to fall apart.

This might sound crazy but walmart. At least over here they have a couple of very solid HDTV stands for around 150 that don't look half bad especially when you look at the cost of regular ones.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Juriko posted:

This might sound crazy but walmart. At least over here they have a couple of very solid HDTV stands for around 150 that don't look half bad especially when you look at the cost of regular ones.

Wal-Mart, Target, Ikea, etc. There's no reason to spend ridiculous amounts of money on furniture when it all looks fairly similar and that money would be far better spent on awesome gear. Of course i also like minimalistic modern poo poo; if you want some giant hardwood frilly old lady furniture then it's going to cost you real money.

Edit: The style i like most these days is just a simple shelfless TV stand - some nice coffee tables work really well for this - then keep all your equipment in a tall audio stand. Makes wiring a lot easier and looks nice and professional. Also keeps everything well ventilated and doesn't cause the bright lights on your stuff to draw your attention like they would if they were right below your TV.

.Nathan. fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 28, 2008

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Juriko posted:

Proof that if you work yourself to death you can still afford nice things while in college.

That's very nice! Do you also have a low-profile couch? The TV seems to be sitting a bit low.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Overture posted:

Check out this thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2704224

I built my entertainment center for just under $200 (including some tools) using ideas from there, and I thought it came out pretty well. You can look at the pictures I posted on the last page.

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

If I had an Ikea that wasn't in another country and 6+ hours drive away I would probably be thousands more in debt right now. Sure, you can order online, but shipping is not only almost as expensive as the item itself, but it takes a month or more to get here.

I ordered my Jerker from Ikea but, as mentioned, the shipping was almost as much as the desk and it took nearly a month to get here. Early in January I wanted to order 2 bookshelves and the site said they'd be ready to ship in February, and the shipping cost would have been way too high once again so I said screw it.

The closest Ikea is in Minneapolis which is 6 or 7 hours drive away. Otherwise, an Ikea in Canada is probably in Toronto, 18 hours drive away. My province is big :P

ScaryFast fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 29, 2008

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

gret posted:

That's very nice! Do you also have a low-profile couch? The TV seems to be sitting a bit low.

The bottom of the tv is about 14.5 inches off the ground. I keep it a bit low because the projector screen is right above it, since it is a secondary set the height isn't that big of a deal. It takes a slight adjustment but it isn't fatiguing like having a tv set too high, and it is great for when you have a bunch of people over sitting on the floor gaming.

The couch is fairly low to the ground too.

Juriko fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 29, 2008

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

A/V newbie checking in.

I am currently setting up my new TV stand, digital cable box, and cable modem so that everything is ready to go when my new LCD arrives tomorrow. Time Warner Cable gave me everything I needed, including what I thought was a proper splitter. I'm pretty sure it isn't however because I can't get the cable modem to pick up a signal at all when I use it (it works fine when it's directly connected to the main coax line coming from the wall), I've also tried both ends of the 2 way splitter.

Here is a picture:

Sorry about the fuzziness, phone camera kinda sucks. The labels above the outs read (from left to right): "TO TV" and "TO AMP", and the top in reads: "POWER IN".

After some googling it looks like this is an amplifier, not a 2-way splitter and the lady who handed me everything is retarded? I asked for a splitter specifically, not an AMP.

Any recommendations on what I should actually go get from Radio Shack? All I want to do is connect the one COAX line coming from the wall to both my cable modem and HDTV cable receiver (and then the TV via HDMI) with minimal signal loss.

Bumpon10s
Dec 9, 2004

Gentleman, we have seen the future.

Overture posted:

Any recommendations on what I should actually go get from Radio Shack? All I want to do is connect the one COAX line coming from the wall to both my cable modem and HDTV cable receiver (and then the TV via HDMI) with minimal signal loss.

Just find a cheap splitter. I am splitting off of another splitter and it does just fine. I bought a signal amplifier to see if it was any better, and all I did was waste $30.

Also, I don't mean to whore, but I am selling one of my Harmony 880's in SA*Mart for $120 if anyone is interested.

Fnord
Apr 20, 2001
WHAT

Overture posted:

A/V newbie checking in.

I am currently setting up my new TV stand, digital cable box, and cable modem so that everything is ready to go when my new LCD arrives tomorrow. Time Warner Cable gave me everything I needed, including what I thought was a proper splitter. I'm pretty sure it isn't however because I can't get the cable modem to pick up a signal at all when I use it (it works fine when it's directly connected to the main coax line coming from the wall), I've also tried both ends of the 2 way splitter.

Do it list a frequency range anywhere on it? If it only goes to 900mhz than that might be your problem. Try to find one that goes up to 1000mhz

Fit4130
Nov 5, 2007
Here's our setup. We're college students so it's nothing absolutely crazy. But I think we've done a drat good job on our little home theater. Between us we have 5.1 Terabytes of FORMATTED hard drive space.

Speakers:
*Left & Right - Klipsch RF-35s
*Center - Originally Klipsch surround put into a self made box
*Surrounds - Klipsch, not sure what they are exactly
*Subwoofer - RW10D

Reciever - Harman/Kardon AVR445

Sources:
*HD server - Audigy 2 Platnium Pro - Optical
*My computer - Audigy 2 Platnium - Digital
*My roommates computer - Razer AC-1 - Optical
*26" 720p Olevia Television - RCA analog :(
*XBox 360 - Optical

butterthatbacon
Sep 1, 2006

mmmmm.
Ah, dorms. This pic contains (more or less) everything I own that isn't clothes.

The speakers are my first attempt at microbes, they came out alright, although the finish came out a lot better on my next pair.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

butterthatbacon posted:

Ah, dorms. This pic contains (more or less) everything I own that isn't clothes.

The speakers are my first attempt at microbes, they came out alright, although the finish came out a lot better on my next pair.

I have a model receiver that's similar to that. Does it have the hilarious Help/Reset button that just seems to make the display say "operating correctly now" when you press it?

mo-
Apr 21, 2007

by Fistgrrl
What is that keyboard and where can I get it?

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

mo- posted:

What is that keyboard and where can I get it?

Apples bluetooth wireless keyboard. Get it online or at an apple sales place.

butterthatbacon
Sep 1, 2006

mmmmm.

grillster posted:

I have a model receiver that's similar to that. Does it have the hilarious Help/Reset button that just seems to make the display say "operating correctly now" when you press it?

Nah, it's got all the basic stuff you'd expect. I love this thing, cost me a whopping 35 bucks. (Technics SA-EX140 for the curious)

Oh and I got the keyboard for free, and even though I love it I'm not sure if I can advocate spending 80 bucks on it. The wired version is even better, though, and 30 bucks cheaper.

The Jizzer
Mar 19, 2003

...a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.

Overture posted:

I got mine from Best Buy -- I'll post pictures of the whole setup later. It's dark glass with dark cherry wood on the sides. Open back and hollow rear support beam for cable routing. Cost just about $200 IIRC. Looks drat good too.

If you're in the LA area, I'm actually planning on selling it so I can get one that matches the rest of our furniture from Crate and Barrel.

(To my surprise, Crate and Barrel has excellent, high quality, minimal-assembly furniture for excellent prices.)

daskrolator
Sep 11, 2001

sup.

Speakers - Creative Labs DTT3500
Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR505S
Source - Popcorn Hour A-100

The speakers are next to be replaced, they are pretty terrible.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

The Jizzer posted:

I got mine from Best Buy -- I'll post pictures of the whole setup later. It's dark glass with dark cherry wood on the sides. Open back and hollow rear support beam for cable routing. Cost just about $200 IIRC. Looks drat good too.

If you're in the LA area, I'm actually planning on selling it so I can get one that matches the rest of our furniture from Crate and Barrel.

(To my surprise, Crate and Barrel has excellent, high quality, minimal-assembly furniture for excellent prices.)

I think i have the same one as you, it was $252 but you can use any number of 10 and 12% bestbuy coupons floating around the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

butterthatbacon posted:

Nah, it's got all the basic stuff you'd expect. I love this thing, cost me a whopping 35 bucks. (Technics SA-EX140 for the curious)

I got the same receiver on Craigslist for the same price for my computer speakers. What are the odds?