Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I've heard that rumor too. What I heard is that they will have a movable wall that they can use to cut the club in half if they are having two separate events.

I guess that could appeal to both the smaller bands with two rooms and the bigger bands with one room. I hope the nostalgia of the Axis and the Avalon doesn't make most of the city turn against the new venue. It could definitely do a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

seventeen posted:

I guess that could appeal to both the smaller bands with two rooms and the bigger bands with one room. I hope the nostalgia of the Axis and the Avalon doesn't make most of the city turn against the new venue. It could definitely do a lot.

I don't think bands will turn away from this venue. It's one of the biggest general admission venues around. I know Dropkick Murphys were having real problems finding places big enough to have their annual St. Patrick's Day shows that they usually have at the Avalon.

Although now that the Avalon and Axis have closed, it has forced me to check out other venues and I have really gotten to like some of them.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Although now that the Avalon and Axis have closed, it has forced me to check out other venues and I have really gotten to like some of them.

Personally I love the Middle East downstairs. It's got such an underground feeling to it (no pun intended). When I saw Streetlight there about two months ago, it was so packed and so hot that the sweat in the room was actually collecting on the ceiling and raining back down onto the crowd. Definitely my favorite venue

Raxe
Oct 8, 2004
And if we die, before the battle's through, tell your mom, tell your dad we were super rad

seventeen posted:

Personally I love the Middle East downstairs. It's got such an underground feeling to it (no pun intended). When I saw Streetlight there about two months ago, it was so packed and so hot that the sweat in the room was actually collecting on the ceiling and raining back down onto the crowd. Definitely my favorite venue

Yeah, I think the Middle East downstairs venue might be my favorite at the moment. You don't have to be right up front to get a good view of the stage. Although I do like Harper's Ferry as well. Westbound Train is playing at Harper's Ferry next Friday, though they aren't headlining. The Slackers are playing at the Middle East downstairs on Feb 14th. Anyone else know of any ska shows in the Boston area in the near future?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

seventeen posted:

Part of me was disgusted by this, and part of me wished I was there :).

:argh: Why does Streetlight hate Toronto!?

VVVV EDIT: Yeah but at least you don't talk funny?

Moist von Lipwig fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 21, 2008

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
yet another reason to hate the boston area...you get all the cool events/bands etc...if its ska and i want to see it im pretty much driving from indianapolis to chicago or cincinnati

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Backno posted:

yet another reason to hate the boston area...you get all the cool events/bands etc...if its ska and i want to see it im pretty much driving from indianapolis to chicago or cincinnati

I'm sorry you live in a lovely area?

;)

Chuck U. Farley
Jan 5, 2008
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.
I have to say, out of all of the ska bands that I have seen in concert, the best would have to be Streetlight manifesto, and reel big fish

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Chuck U. Farley posted:

I have to say, out of all of the ska bands that I have seen in concert, the best would have to be Streetlight manifesto, and reel big fish

Than I'm sorry that you have never seen The Mighty Mighty Bosstones in concert.

Chuck U. Farley
Jan 5, 2008
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.
ohhhh dude I love the mighty might bosstones, and they are one of my favorites, I have just never seen them live! In fact they are my song on my myspace right now. The song "The Impression That I Get"

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The Skatalites are the best live band, hands down.

70 year old dudes rocking for over 2 hours straight? How the gently caress are you going to beat that?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Mike_V posted:

70 year old dudes rocking for over 2 hours straight? How the gently caress are you going to beat that?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pR4N5rKEtAs

With a little something I call Dr. D

act five
Jul 13, 2007

the industry is a fagfest, rappers wearin they boxers backwards for easy access
Anyone else gonna be at the Big D show in Lowell on 3/15?

Nevermind, just read it was sold out. :(

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Lazlowrocks posted:

Anyone else gonna be at the Big D show in Lowell on 3/15?

Nevermind, just read it was sold out. :(

The Big D show? You mean the Dropkick Murphy's show where Big D is opening? Then yes, yes I am.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
You get to see Dropkick Murphy's AND Big D in one night!? :( That's not fair!

act five
Jul 13, 2007

FateoMcSkippy posted:

The Big D show? You mean the Dropkick Murphy's show where Big D is opening? Then yes, yes I am.

Yes, that one. :downs:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

mix.lunar posted:

You get to see Dropkick Murphy's AND Big D in one night!? :( That's not fair!

And Everybody Out! too! But most people don't know who Everybody Out! is :(

edit: http://www.myspace.com/everybodyoutband they aren't ska at all. Everybody Out! is Sweeny Todd (The Dead Pets) and Rick Barton (old school Dropkick Murphy's) band.

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 24, 2008

act five
Jul 13, 2007

I don't think I do either. Any suggestions?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

As much as people think Streetlight Manifesto is overrated, I really really enjoy their hornlines. Especially on the last album the hornlines just totally get me. Its almost brass choir-ish on a lot of their breakdowns, which is really pleasant. I mean there's nothing I like more than really strong horns. I mean I love Less Than Jake a ton but they're not the go-to guys when I'm feeling horny.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

Well, I'm the first one onto the SM bandwagon then. I do not consider them overrated at all.

Bosstones, now that's an overrated band :colbert:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

I let the first comment go, but now it's on. Prepare to throw hands.

edit: If I had to pick between going to one last Bosstones show and Streetlight would disband, or missing the show and Streetlight would stick around, please tell me where to buy my Bosstone's ticket. :colbert:

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 29, 2008

act five
Jul 13, 2007

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

...Oh no he didn't.

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

As much as people think Streetlight Manifesto is overrated, I really really enjoy their hornlines. Especially on the last album the hornlines just totally get me.

I've always found their horn lines to sound like anthems for super heroes. :sax:

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Ska is a little guilty pleasure of mine, but I just can't help but love bands like Mu330, Fishbone, Skankin' Pickle, Suicide Machines, Coquettish, Kemuri, Potshot, etc.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

As much as people think Streetlight Manifesto is overrated

I don't think many people think that at all. As far as I know, I'm pretty much the only ska listener I know of who doesn't think they've descended from heaven or something.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

My friends who listen to ska all like them but they liken SM to Radiohead.

I am so not going down that road, though.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

My friends who listen to ska all like them but they liken SM to Radiohead.

But Streetlight is awesome and Radiohead sucks I don't get it.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
You can now listen to our new album in its entirety online!

http://tajmoteltrio.com/part-of-the-problem.html

There's 12 songs total and I'm not sure if it'll be like this for everybody but for me I can only see the titles of the first 5 although all 12 songs play. Enjoy.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

Josh Wow posted:

There's 12 songs total and I'm not sure if it'll be like this for everybody but for me I can only see the titles of the first 5 although all 12 songs play. Enjoy.

Awesome, thanks!

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Josh Wow posted:

I can only see the titles of the first 5, until I use the scroll bar. :)

Also I love it.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I can only see the titles of the first 5, until I use the scroll bar. :)

Also I love it.

Yea the scroll bar isn't working for me, glad it is for other people though.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Josh Wow posted:

Yea the scroll bar isn't working for me, glad it is for other people though.

I seriously love your band. Come to Massachusetts now please.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I seriously love your band. Come to Massachusetts now please.

We're setting up a Boston show for our next real tour, it's not confirmed yet but if it happens it'll be the week of march 10th-15th or so. Haha, now if we go to Massachusetts and you don't show up you'll look like an rear end!

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

I just found out that Westbound Train is playing LIKE RIGHT NOW within driving distance of me but now it's too late for me to go :(

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Josh Wow posted:

Holy poo poo, this is really good. The title tag of the store page says that you're taking "preorders" on the new album -- is that the case, or is it actually for sale now? And is the sound of the previous albums similar?

EDIT: Oh, out since December 18th according to the newspage. I'll have to see about getting this.

guppy fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 31, 2008

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

Josh Wow posted:

We're setting up a Boston show for our next real tour, it's not confirmed yet but if it happens it'll be the week of march 10th-15th or so. Haha, now if we go to Massachusetts and you don't show up you'll look like an rear end!

Keep us Boston people updated! I'd love to see you guys. Just added you yesterday on myspace complete with a note.

Carl with a K
Dec 25, 2006

Late Fees posted:

I just found out that Westbound Train is playing LIKE RIGHT NOW within driving distance of me but now it's too late for me to go :(

I saw Westbound Train when they opened for Streetlight Manifesto and they kicked rear end but then i listened to some of their songs on cd and they were boring

Also, I have no clue if they're actually considered ska but it's close enough. Anyone listen to Pain?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

guppy posted:

Holy poo poo, this is really good. The title tag of the store page says that you're taking "preorders" on the new album -- is that the case, or is it actually for sale now? And is the sound of the previous albums similar?

EDIT: Oh, out since December 18th according to the newspage. I'll have to see about getting this.

Yea it's for sale now. I think right now you can only buy it through our webstore, but that's pretty much the best way to buy it since we get all the money and ship it out ourselves so it doesn't take long. It'll be up on interpunk sometime in February I believe and we're working on getting it available on Itunes. Our last album Life of the Party is pretty similar sounding although not quite as many good songs, and Feels the Force is kind of the same thing just not as good. It's basically all the same type of sound but it just gets better with each record! You'd probably enjoy Life of the Party though, and we only have like 3 copies left so if you want one I'd order it now because I'm not sure how quickly we'll reorder. It is up on Itunes though so there's always that.

Carl with a K posted:

I saw Westbound Train when they opened for Streetlight Manifesto and they kicked rear end but then i listened to some of their songs on cd and they were boring

Also, I have no clue if they're actually considered ska but it's close enough. Anyone listen to Pain?

Pain is not a ska band but they are amazing. Plus, they're from Alabama which just strikes me as ridiculous for such an awesome and different band.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Josh Wow posted:

Oh I'll be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Josh Wow posted:

Yea it's for sale now. I think right now you can only buy it through our webstore, but that's pretty much the best way to buy it since we get all the money and ship it out ourselves so it doesn't take long. It'll be up on interpunk sometime in February I believe and we're working on getting it available on Itunes. Our last album Life of the Party is pretty similar sounding although not quite as many good songs, and Feels the Force is kind of the same thing just not as good. It's basically all the same type of sound but it just gets better with each record! You'd probably enjoy Life of the Party though, and we only have like 3 copies left so if you want one I'd order it now because I'm not sure how quickly we'll reorder. It is up on Itunes though so there's always that.
Okay, I just ordered both. Thanks!