Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iamstinky
Feb 4, 2004

This is not as easy as it looks.
I have 3 MySQL DB servers, one in the DMZ and 2 inside on VM sessions. Basically what is in the DMZ is a stripped down version of the production server on the inside (it only has the schemas and tables it absolutely needs to function). Of the course of time since before I started this job a few of the tables got out of sync with each other and because of seriously poor design on the part of my predecessor, I can't just pick a table that is the the definitive source and recreate the other with the "definitive" data. The reason being that some internal apps are built on the data on the internal DB that is different than the data in the external DB which has a separate app that is built on the same data.

I end up needing to do a row by row comparison of every one of the tables in the schema that is out of sync. Is there a better way to do this than to run a query for each DB, dump it to a csv and then diff the two csvs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I understand the idea of separating logic in a model-view-control system, but I don't understand the concept of separating the SQL with a templating system. I'm working in PHP, where can I find more info about how and why to do it?

Pi
Feb 15, 2001

Fly posted:

Does anyone here know whether Hibernate Query Language (and the JPA's QL implementations) supports the generation of dynamic multi-table queries with the correct JOINing of secondary tables?

I think you may want to look at Hibernate's criteria API for dynamically generating queries.

npe
Oct 15, 2004

fletcher posted:

I understand the idea of separating logic in a model-view-control system, but I don't understand the concept of separating the SQL with a templating system. I'm working in PHP, where can I find more info about how and why to do it?

I wouldn't sweat SQL templating, it's not a very standard approach and if you don't see the benefit then don't worry about it. For web frameworks, ORM classes seem to be more popular anyways.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

fletcher posted:

What do you mean by SQL templates exactly? I can interpret what you said in 3 ways:

1) Making a paramatized SQL query, then using "prepare(query)" and "execute(query_handle, parameters)" to actually execute it.

2) A set of common-place SQL tasks which have already been written for you, you just fill in the blanks. Kind of like a sample web-site layout.

3) Abstracting persistent record information away from the main code by using some sort of Persistence Layer (also known as ActiveRecord).

Or did you mean something else?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

minato posted:

What do you mean by SQL templates exactly?

Just separating SQL from the rest of my code. Somebody mentioned that it's important and helpful to do that, and I just wasn't sure why or how you do it.

npe
Oct 15, 2004
Ok, let me clarify on why we do it, maybe it will help.

In our particular case, we have an application backed by an extremely complex schema with quite a lot of rows (tables in the billions of records). Of course, we have a team of developers who focus on writing Oracle PL/SQL. In the same way that you might hire an HTML/CSS guy to do design and layout, we've hired developers who worry about the performance of the myriad queries we rely on.

Because of this we can't use an ORM approach, because query tuning on this scale is extremely finicky. For applications where all you do is CRUD operations, ORM's are fine, but that's not us.

For insert/update operations we naturally use stored procedures, so those aren't a problem, and for the more common complex queries they maintain views for us to use. But overall, there are probably hundreds of types of queries in use by various facets of our application, and encoding all of them into procedures or views would pose a different set of problems.

This originally meant that for the static, non-changing queries we pretty much just hardcoded them into the application source directly, and for dynamic queries we'd end up doing custom query building from string concatenation.

However, this meant working with the Oracle guys was a huge pain, because our queries were embedded in our application code (which was mostly perl). For the static queries it was more of a nuisance, but for dynamically generated queries it was a disaster. What would happen is an Oracle guy would see an inefficient query running, and send us a revised query that could replace it. But the revised query would involve completely restructuring the query building function, and usually we'd avoid doing that and just put up with crappy query performance when we could.

With templated SQL, it's very much like templated HTML. We can send the .sql files to the Oracle guys, and they can run the static queries through their query analyzers, and with a little extra effort they can pretty clearly do the same for the dynamic queries. They can now do this without having to worry at all about the application code itself.

Again, it's sort of specific to a situation where separation of application logic and database queries is important.

npe fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 30, 2008

jwnin
Aug 3, 2003

yaoi prophet posted:

Lots of great wisdom

I cannot agree more with this. I get uncomfortable with ORM after a certain load.

It really seems to me like there are two entirely different camps regarding databases:
1) Clean separation between the app tier and the database tiers. Enforced through by denying access to tables and driving access through stored procs, views, etc, allowing for a highly secure design and the ability to change the physical data model with no impact to the application tier.
2) The ORM camp. I hate to be short sighted, but it just seems like a pattern used by developers who see the database as nothing more than a file system. I know this is not correct, but there is some truth to it.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender

jwnin posted:

I cannot agree more with this. I get uncomfortable with ORM after a certain load.

It really seems to me like there are two entirely different camps regarding databases:
1) Clean separation between the app tier and the database tiers. Enforced through by denying access to tables and driving access through stored procs, views, etc, allowing for a highly secure design and the ability to change the physical data model with no impact to the application tier.
2) The ORM camp. I hate to be short sighted, but it just seems like a pattern used by developers who see the database as nothing more than a file system. I know this is not correct, but there is some truth to it.

We use ORM via a bespoke Persistence Layer mechanism, and for the most part it is great. It's so convenient to be able to write code like this:

php:
<?
$org_name = User::getByOID($user_id)->getOrganization()->getName();
?>
Internally, the first function call will get the row containing the user object, convert it into an object. The second "->getOrganization()" will use some shadow info to retrieve the row containing that user's organization, convert that into an object. And the final call "->getName()" will retrieve the Name of that organization. So internally, 2 SQL calls are made to retrieve the User and Organization rows respectively.

This kind of code is very clear, there's no SQL involved so it's more maintainable and there's less for the app developer to understand, and it's very easy to write.

But where it falls down is that it's very difficult to optimize without breaking the paradigm. Say I wanted to do this kind of thing in a loop:
php:
<?
foreach($user_id_array as $user_id) {
   $org_names[] = User::getByOID($user_id)->getOrganization()->getName();
}
?>
Internally that's still 2 SQL calls per user-id which is hardly scaleable. A SQL developer would know that he could get the entire list with just 1, but it's necessary to break out of the ORM system in order to do that.

My experience seems to jibe with that of jwnin's above, in that some of my co-developers are only willing to use ORM and will go to any lengths to avoid writing SQL (because they're not very good at it), rather than seeing ORM as just a convenient tool that should be abandoned once performance gets ridiculously slow.

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns
quick question, this is my query:

code:
SELECT DISTINCT manufacturer
FROM planes
WHERE pilot_id='5'
ORDER BY manufacturer
If the field is NULL, it has that at the top. How can I change it so that NULL to be sorted at the bottom? Adding DESC at the end will do this, but I want the rest of the items to be alphabetically sorted.

Victor
Jun 18, 2004
code:
order by coalesce(manufacturer, chr(127))
Use whatever function generates a character from its code. Increase the number if you're using Unicode.

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns

Victor posted:

code:
order by coalesce(manufacturer, chr(127))
Use whatever function generates a character from its code. Increase the number if you're using Unicode.

cool that worked. I couldn't get that char() thing to work, so I just used

order by coalesce(manufacturer, 'ZZZZZZZZZZZ')

and it worked fine.

Victor
Jun 18, 2004
I had "zzzzzz" written out, but then decided that was lame, breakable, and tried for something better. Oh well...

kalleboo
Jan 13, 2001

Hjälp

nbv4 posted:

cool that worked. I couldn't get that char() thing to work, so I just used

order by coalesce(manufacturer, 'ZZZZZZZZZZZ')

and it worked fine.
Ångström, or god forbid 甘い贅沢 will break your system ;)

I don't know about other DB systems, but MySQL lets you do

FROM planes
WHERE pilot_id='5'
ORDER BY manufacturer IS NULL, manufacturer

kalleboo fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 2, 2008

chocojosh
Jun 9, 2007

D00D.

kalleboo posted:

FROM planes
WHERE pilot_id='5'

If you can't do that, how about the union clause (yes, I realize that this is probably not the most efficient)?

FROM planes
WHERE pilot_id='5' AND
manufacturer IS NOT NULL
ORDER BY manufacturer
UNION ALL
FROM planes
WHERE pilot_id='5' AND
manufacturer IS NOT NULL
ORDER BY manufacturer

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

chocojosh posted:

If you can't do that, how about the union clause (yes, I realize that this is probably not the most efficient)?

FROM planes
WHERE pilot_id='5' AND
manufacturer IS NOT NULL
ORDER BY manufacturer
UNION ALL
FROM planes
WHERE pilot_id='5' AND
manufacturer IS NOT NULL
ORDER BY manufacturer

I think you meant to make one of those "IS NOT NULL"s an "IS NULL". Also, I think most DBs only let you have one ORDER BY clause which comes after all of the SELECT statments and orders the entire query.

kalleboo posted:

FROM planes
WHERE pilot_id='5'
In T-SQL you could do it that way, though you'd probably have to change it to

FROM planes
WHERE pilot_id='5'
ORDER BY CASE WHEN manufacturer IS NULL THEN 1 ELSE 0 END, manufacturer

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Lets say you have products in one table and votes for the products in another table. How do you get the products and total votes for each product?

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender

fletcher posted:

Lets say you have products in one table and votes for the products in another table. How do you get the products and total votes for each product?
code:
SELECT product_name, COUNT(votes)
FROM products
   JOIN votes USING (product_id)
GROUP BY product_name

chocojosh
Jun 9, 2007

D00D.

Jethro posted:

I think you meant to make one of those "IS NOT NULL"s an "IS NULL". Also, I think most DBs only let you have one ORDER BY clause which comes after all of the SELECT statments and orders the entire query.

Entirely correct; this is what happens when I post from memory (I don't use SQL every day at my job either).

Victor
Jun 18, 2004

Jethro posted:

ORDER BY CASE WHEN manufacturer IS NULL THEN 1 ELSE 0 END, manufacturer
Nice, this one is perfectly robust.

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March
code:
FROM planes
WHERE pilot_id='5'
ORDER BY manufacturer NULLS LAST
I like Postgres :)

Snozzberry Smoothie
Jun 27, 2005

by Fragmaster
Using MySQL, how can I update a table column to make all the data UPPERCASE?

noonches
Dec 5, 2005

It represents my lifestyle and stratus as a street savy irreverent youth, who lives large, and yet hungers for the next level in life.

Snozzberry Smoothie posted:

Using MySQL, how can I update a table column to make all the data UPPERCASE?

I believe upper() is what you are looking for.

ray2k
Feb 7, 2004

Puppet scum beware!
Alright, what's the norm for getting aggregate counts of 1:1 relationships? Like, if I have a Product table with a CategoryId that foreign keys to Category.CategoryId, how would I get the number of Products by CategoryId, including 0's for any CategoryId's not being used by a Product record? I'm looking for a single T-SQL query, I know I could just select the source data and aggregate programmatically in either a stored procedure using temp tables or in C# code, but I'm going to have to do quite a few that would make that approach too unwieldy.

kalleboo
Jan 13, 2001

Hjälp

ray2k posted:

Alright, what's the norm for getting aggregate counts of 1:1 relationships? Like, if I have a Product table with a CategoryId that foreign keys to Category.CategoryId, how would I get the number of Products by CategoryId, including 0's for any CategoryId's not being used by a Product record?
do you mean something like SELECT Category.CategoryId, COUNT(Product.ProductId) FROM Category LEFT JOIN Product ON Product.CategoryId=Category.CategoryId GROUP BY Category.CategoryId or is there some catch in your scenario I'm missing?

ray2k
Feb 7, 2004

Puppet scum beware!

kalleboo posted:

do you mean something like SELECT Category.CategoryId, COUNT(Product.ProductId) FROM Category LEFT JOIN Product ON Product.CategoryId=Category.CategoryId GROUP BY Category.CategoryId or is there some catch in your scenario I'm missing?

Yeah, I did some more googling and got something working similarly. I knew I would have a left join but I wasn't aware COUNT() was deterministic (I couldn't put two and two together). Thanks though.

Victor
Jun 18, 2004
kalleboo, where did you put the [code][/code] tags?

kalleboo
Jan 13, 2001

Hjälp

Victor posted:

kalleboo, where did you put the [code][/code] tags?
It was so short and simple I felt like it fit best inline. SA needs more \verb

Victor
Jun 18, 2004
Awww, I thought you were going to say that the forums were temporarily out code tags or something.

kalleboo
Jan 13, 2001

Hjälp
php:
<?
SELECT Category.CategoryId, COUNT(Product.ProductId)
FROM Category 
LEFT JOIN Product ON Product.CategoryId=Category.CategoryId
GROUP BY Category.CategoryId?>
Better?

Victor
Jun 18, 2004
It's blue! Prettttty...

increased
Feb 20, 2001
MySQL Indices

Can someone quickly summarize the difference between having an index on one field, and having an index on multiple fields?

Rumsfoord
Jan 29, 2005

Eat or Be Eaten

Filash posted:

MySQL Indices

Can someone quickly summarize the difference between having an index on one field, and having an index on multiple fields?

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/userguide/en/indexing-composite.html

increased
Feb 20, 2001

Big ups.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Can someone help me understand:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms186734.aspx

I am not getting what OVER does in this statement - I think I understand the remainder of how the paging works, but I'm somewhat new with SQL and I dont really "get" the OVER clause.

:confused:

edit: Or feel free to suggest me a paging solution for SQL Server 2005 - I'm trying to avoid using the ASP.NET PagedDataSource :downs:

Walked fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 7, 2008

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns
I have a PHP script that makes a few hundred mysql queries, then executes them one by one. All of these queries are INSERT queries. The way I way it is now, if one of those queries fails, it's a pain in the rear end to go through and fix whatever problem that may have occurred. I want to have it so the system does a dry run through each query, and only if every single query is valid, it executes them all. Is there any way to test a query against the database? It's probably very simple, but Googling gives me nothing.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender

nbv4 posted:

I have a PHP script that makes a few hundred mysql queries, then executes them one by one. All of these queries are INSERT queries. The way I way it is now, if one of those queries fails, it's a pain in the rear end to go through and fix whatever problem that may have occurred. I want to have it so the system does a dry run through each query, and only if every single query is valid, it executes them all. Is there any way to test a query against the database? It's probably very simple, but Googling gives me nothing.
Why would a query fail? If a query fails, that's a sign that either your data or code is broken.

Do you mean "Don't fail if the record is already there?". Because to do that, you can always do:

code:
INSERT INTO foo (foo_id, bar)
SELECT $foo_id, $bar
WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT 1
   FROM foo
   WHERE foo_id = $foo_id
   )

minato fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Feb 7, 2008

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns

minato posted:

Why would a query fail? If a query fails, that's a sign that either your data or code is broken.

Do you mean "Don't fail if the record is already there?". Because to do that, you can always do:

code:
INSERT INTO foo (foo_id, bar)
SELECT $foo_id, $bar
WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT 1
   FROM foo
   WHERE foo_id = $foo_id
   )

the user uploads a file that is transformed into about 600 queries. If one line of that data is not right for whatever reason, only 599 lines will get entered, and it'll be absolute hell to get things right. I need some way to ensure 100% of the queries are correct, or else it tells the user his data needs looking over.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender

nbv4 posted:

the user uploads a file that is transformed into about 600 queries. If one line of that data is not right for whatever reason, only 599 lines will get entered, and it'll be absolute hell to get things right. I need some way to ensure 100% of the queries are correct, or else it tells the user his data needs looking over.

You also sound like you might want to learn about transactions. That's where you run a "BEGIN" statement to take a snapshot of the database, run a bunch of SQL statements, and if any one of them fails you can "ROLLBACK" to the state of the database when you took the snapshot. If they all work and you're happy with it, you run "COMMIT" and it saves them all.

(Edit: transactions are only supported in relatively recent versions of MySQL, I don't think 4 supports them)

But really, you should be validating all data before it gets anywhere near the database before beginning any inserts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns

minato posted:

But really, you should be validating all data before it gets anywhere near the database before beginning any inserts.

I am, I just would like one last line of defence against total query entry, just for piece of mind against anything unforeseen... I tried running through each query once with "LIMIT 0" attached, but that didn't work. I'll look into the transaction thing.