Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit

bilperkins2 posted:

You're probably gonna want to edit those links out, as that's gonna get you probation or banned for :filez:

If I am not mistaken, NES and Sega ROMS are okay on SA due to age, if not, then sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Axim posted:

If I am not mistaken, NES and Sega ROMS are okay on SA due to age, if not, then sorry.
GBA, on the other hand...

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

bilperkins2 posted:

You're probably gonna want to edit those links out, as that's gonna get you probation or banned for :filez:

Ok, I did. But they are simply forums discussing GBA and NES emulators. I don't think there are really any direct ROM links, ah well.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Christoff posted:

Ok, I did. But they are simply forums discussing GBA and NES emulators. I don't think there are really any direct ROM links, ah well.

Oh, if they didn't have direct links to ROM's then they're probably okay. I clicked and looked for a few seconds and thought I saw something resembling links to ROM's, but I can't double check because the links are gone.

Also, even if there are ROMs, the NES ones are okay apparently.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
Anyone have a problem clicking links in Safari? I just realized today I can't click anything hotlinks in Safari at all and I have no idea. why. :(

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

VibrioCholera posted:

Anyone have a problem clicking links in Safari? I just realized today I can't click anything hotlinks in Safari at all and I have no idea. why. :(

Hold down the home button until Safari closes out. If that doesn't work, restart the whole Pod.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Is there any word on EAP support for the iPhone or iPod Touch's wireless? I'm still kinds surprised this wasn't included from the start, wifi at places like universities and businesses useless for some people (like me!). Even a 3rd party program would be fine.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

GigaPeon posted:

Hold down the home button until Safari closes out. If that doesn't work, restart the whole Pod.

This worked, had to give it some time and I think it took a restart. I just realized I never restart this thing and have to realize it is sort of a mini-computer. I just have it on the charger forever, my pocket, back to the charger.

Thanks!

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Forgive me if this has already been answered, but since I upgraded from jailbreaked 1.1.1 to jailbreaked 1.1.3 on my iPod touch, I haven't been able to play any music that I downloaded from iTunes. Is there a fix for this?

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

How do you install whatever you've put in Installer's queue?

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?
Click the little button that says "Install" on the top right of the screen.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sweet, the Touch comes in 32G flavor now, I was waiting for that. Think it's about time to upgrade from my trusty old 4th gen grayscale 20G. HD's been a bit clicky at times (although slapping it helps each time, it's annoying as hell).

YancyDCjew
Feb 28, 2002

My name's Spagett, I do parties, and you just take my card, and if you need someone to spook ya-

Lemons posted:

Forgive me if this has already been answered, but since I upgraded from jailbreaked 1.1.1 to jailbreaked 1.1.3 on my iPod touch, I haven't been able to play any music that I downloaded from iTunes. Is there a fix for this?

Yep, don't skip over 1.1.2. Going to have to start over if you want to play DRM'd content.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Carthag posted:

Sweet, the Touch comes in 32G flavor now, I was waiting for that. Think it's about time to upgrade from my trusty old 4th gen grayscale 20G. HD's been a bit clicky at times (although slapping it helps each time, it's annoying as hell).

Yeah I love the idea of a 32GB touch too but $500 seems a bit much. I was hoping the smaller ones would at least drop in price some.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
One more update of the touch to 64gb and I'll bite. I just can't go from an 80gb to a 32gb.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Go figure I wait for macworld and the 32gb still comes out. $500 is a bit much though so I suppose I didn't make a bad choice with the 16gb. Ah well.

RiSK
Dec 9, 2006

The Red Rocket Rifle

LordOfThePants posted:

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=580

This tutorial is very detailed with screenshots but it's for a Mac, not a PC. The two major differences are you hold the Shift key on a Windows pc instead of the Option key, and you run Jailbreak.bat instead of Jailbreak.jar.

He has a Windows one here, on the same site.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

Christoff posted:

Go figure I wait for macworld and the 32gb still comes out. $500 is a bit much though so I suppose I didn't make a bad choice with the 16gb. Ah well.

I feel the touch has to drop in price quite a bit for me to pay for a 32GB or a 64GB one. That and it needs more features, I just imagine the next generation to have many more options on board.

The $500 price point for it almost makes it not worth it. I love my iPod touch, but the hell with one costing the same price as a laptop without adding any other features. I just can't help but to think the next one will have a camera on it.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I will preface this by saying that I am expressing my personal opinions about this new iPod Touch. I hope this does nto become an out and out rant, but I am sorry in advance if it does. I think it's a great idea in theory, one that I dont need but others could. Hell I wouldn't mind one with that, as 30 gigs was the sweetspot for the fullsize iPods of yore. However, I think they mis

I got the Email from Apple portraying it as a Valetine's Gift. I think for $500 you could get your signifigant other some signifigant jewlery; of course, this presuposes this is a longstanding and loving relationship. Who the Hell spends that much coin on a girl if they haven't been together that long? Ok, what SANE person who is also not trying to buy love. I am always amused by some of the more outrageous advertising schemes and this is certainly one of them.

Anyhow, beyond my rant on how Apple is advertising it, I am actually glad this is not a case of them dropping the price. I understand that it is 1st Gen Apple gear, but you expect your top of the line product to be top of the line for 6 months. It was released in September or October, so that window is almost up. I have the 16 gig and love it (and my parents gave it to me for Christmas). Nonetheless, I expect my bofo product to maintain its value instead of dropping so quickly. Look at the iPhone price drop. I understand this window of oppertunity is important, but Apple has to realize that they sold a lot of these because of Christmas. They can't just rub a price drop now in the face of the people who got it for Christmas. I believe this Christmas factor ought to add at the very least 2 months to this window of oppertunity, if not more. I think March is a reasonable time if they wanted to drop the price.

Sorry guys, if the 32 gig debuted at $399 (dropping the 16 gig to $299) I'd be pissed that I could have waited to save my parents some money or gotten more. $100 premium is not worth a little over a month of "extra" usage. For the record I'm gonna disregard the iPhone apps and/or jailbreaking. When the price drop comes, probably sometime between June to September, perhaps I'll be irked but more importantly I'd be glad I had my beloved product for several extra months. March would be the earliest for this, for me, of course. That access can, at least in the tech world, cost something extra and this is a product that deserves it. It's the cost of doing business. The thing is, Apple cannot just devalue that without warning.

In all seriousness I think 16 is enough for me, though mileage for others clearly varies.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Holy crap! Someone put all of wikipedia in a file and you can put it on your touch/iphone. Awesome! I'm downloading the 2 gig file now.

Let you guys know how it goes. I don't think there is pictures though.

Matt Gloss
Aug 30, 2004
Touch dry in four hours!

YancyDCjew posted:

Yep, don't skip over 1.1.2. Going to have to start over if you want to play DRM'd content.

I appear to be in the same boat - bollocks. How do I go about downgrading to 1.1.2?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Christoff posted:

Holy crap! Someone put all of wikipedia in a file and you can put it on your touch/iphone. Awesome! I'm downloading the 2 gig file now.

I was excited when I first read about this, until I realised that, at 16Gb, it was really pushing it to have to pick and choose what music I want on it, and I couldn't afford 2Gb of space for wikipedia.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Christoff posted:

Would linking us to this be :filez: ? If not, do it! :)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

sirbeefalot posted:

Hrm, not quite sure. I don't think so. Here ya go!

http://collison.ie/wikipedia-iphone/

Weedle
May 31, 2006

sirbeefalot posted:

Well, Wikipedia is free, so no.

Cush Bowl
Jul 25, 2007
Is there any way to run flash on safari yet?

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

LaptopGun posted:

Pricing and fairness rant

I'm sorry but I think people bitching about companies dropping prices too soon after whatever are warrantless and pointless. Yeah it's right after Christmas which means they're not gonna move nearly as much hardware. What better way to revitalize sales than a price drop/memory increase? There is always something right around the corner regardless of how close it is to a product launch and iphone owners bitching about price were no different to me than ipod owners bitching they bought theirs a week before the new model. You're not rubbing the price in the face of anyone. Owners already bought one, you're not selling to them.

But whatever I think the $20 more apps for old users tax is bull too. And yeah dropping that kind of money for an ipod for a girl for Valentine's Day is rather odd but I'd imagine it's more marketing towards women for men since men tend to lean more towards gadgets. If anything the pink nano is what is for guys to get their girlfriends. $200 believe it or not is rather reasonable for a Valentine's gift for a couple that's been together and has disposable income.

YancyDCjew
Feb 28, 2002

My name's Spagett, I do parties, and you just take my card, and if you need someone to spook ya-

Matt Gloss posted:

I appear to be in the same boat - bollocks. How do I go about downgrading to 1.1.2?

Try this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YakjwxB3nQU Note: I haven't, but I followed his videos for something else.

It'll downgrade you to 1.1.1, getting to 1.1.2 is easy, and then up to 1.1.3 is done right in installer. This guy, despite having a terrible nerd voice, lays everything out pretty well.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Question:

Manual media management is nice and all. But trying to add podcasts manually seems to make them go under in a blackhole, I can only see them on the Recently Added list. Pictures and wallpapers cannot be transferred manually at all.

What if I enable automatic sync for Podcasts and Photos only, leaving the music sync alone, would it blow up my music collection if I try to sync?

pearofducks
Jan 21, 2003

quack?

Toiletbrush posted:

Question:

Manual media management is nice and all. But trying to add podcasts manually seems to make them go under in a blackhole, I can only see them on the Recently Added list. Pictures and wallpapers cannot be transferred manually at all.

What if I enable automatic sync for Podcasts and Photos only, leaving the music sync alone, would it blow up my music collection if I try to sync?

I have everything but Podcasts and Movies automatically syncing, so I don't think it would. It considers audiobooks, podcasts, and all that other stuff separate from music, so you should be good.

Matt Gloss
Aug 30, 2004
Touch dry in four hours!

YancyDCjew posted:

Try this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YakjwxB3nQU Note: I haven't, but I followed his videos for something else.

It'll downgrade you to 1.1.1, getting to 1.1.2 is easy, and then up to 1.1.3 is done right in installer. This guy, despite having a terrible nerd voice, lays everything out pretty well.

Cheers for this. I had trouble jailbreaking 1.1.2 because I was using iTunes 7.6, which apparently causes problems with the 1.1.2 jailbreak. Some people reported that using iNdependence fixed it, but I had no luck, so I ended up doing the 1.1.2 jailbreak on a computer with iTunes 7.5. After that, the 1.1.3 jailbreak was easy! Finally I can play purchased music again :)

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

Kaleidoscope posted:

Price drop, early adopter rake for the apps, and advertizing

I like your analysis.

Fair enough. I didn't say I had the moral high ground. The thing is Apple usually doesn't intro major iPod releases even after Mac World. I and I'm sure many others breathed a sigh of relief (beyond those apps and 1.1.3, both of which didn't bother me all that much for my jailbroken status). Wiki says it's only the 2nd gen iPod Mini and offical Windows support (through that Jukebox program) that came immediately post Christmas. I kinda laughed at the early adopters for the iPhone more than anything.

It's looking I reacted a bit too much to targeted advertizing- Apple knows I'm a guy somehow and tailored the spam accordingly. I ordinarily block their stuff, but this one slipped through. The e-mail I got specifically slanted to "guy buy girl iPod Touch." That seemed far and away beyond my decsion making progress- if I dont know what to buy a girl I sincerely love for V Day, then I'm hopeless. No $500 amazing gadget (that's the one it was explicitly pushing, with the other ones below it) is going to help. What you say how they are advertizing the iPod family as a whole is correct. $200 for that pink Nano is certainly reasonable for that special someone.

bbdmonkey
Oct 22, 2006

by Ozma
I was wondering if someone could help me out with a problem. Just recently (15mins ago)tried to hook up my itouch to my computer to sync and charge. The problem with this is that my computer is recognizing the itouch as a camera, and as such, i can't get itunes to locate it. I tried restarting my computer/itouch, and it continues to send me to the camera and scanner setup wizard. Does anyone have any ideas how I can fix this? Thanks in advance!

pearofducks
Jan 21, 2003

quack?

bbdmonkey posted:

I was wondering if someone could help me out with a problem. Just recently (15mins ago)tried to hook up my itouch to my computer to sync and charge. The problem with this is that my computer is recognizing the itouch as a camera, and as such, i can't get itunes to locate it. I tried restarting my computer/itouch, and it continues to send me to the camera and scanner setup wizard. Does anyone have any ideas how I can fix this? Thanks in advance!

Run system profiler and see what its really detecting. Do you magically have 2 iSights or cameras when you connect your touch?

edit//lol its windows, yeah you're on your own there.

pearofducks fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 8, 2008

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
How much of a battery draining effect does the EQ have?

I was considering to enable it because the low frequency reproduction on the iPod seems to be a bit strange. Songs that have a rather strong bass line on my soundcard with neutral settings and regular headphones sound a little meager on my iPod with in-ear phones, which are supposed to have stronger bass.

bbdmonkey
Oct 22, 2006

by Ozma

pearofducks posted:

Run system profiler and see what its really detecting. Do you magically have 2 iSights or cameras when you connect your touch?

how do I do that >.>

that's what it does when I connect my itouch.

bbdmonkey fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 7, 2008

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
^ That happened to my dad too. Turns out he hadn't installed itunes yet. If you've already installed it try a reinstall.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Just an FYI but the SNES emulator is out

bbdmonkey
Oct 22, 2006

by Ozma

Owsla posted:

^ That happened to my dad too. Turns out he hadn't installed itunes yet. If you've already installed it try a reinstall.

i uninstalled and reinstalled itunes and it still does the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

bbdmonkey, is autorun enabled? Perhaps autorun has it logged as a camera.

• Locked thread