Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
And seriously, without the Erfworld and Goblins discussion, (and with the way OOTS has updated recently) this thread would end up pretty much dry, like the Dresden Codak thread. I like the variety of fantasy webcomics here, just talking about one plot gets boring after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Aaaand a new strip is up!

Not much to discuss in this one I feel, though hopefully the next strip might (finally) start the main plot arc rolling.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I think Roy is about to discover whatever rules exist that force ghosts to be all cryptic.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I'm kind of curious as to what Haley (and possibly Belkar) will think about Roy visiting them at this point. I forget exactly how long has passed, but Haley has been on her own basically setting up her own resistance, steering Belkar, dragging around Roy's body, I don't think that she's going to be all that willing to drop what she's been doing and chase around after Roy's ghost anymore. The other half of the Order has basically kept on playing followers (to the Lord) but Haley has become a leader.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
She doesn't seem too thilled about it, she's mostly in it for the loot and the SNEAK ATTACK and while she does seem to like authority I think she'll be happy to have someone else around to shift blame onto and deal with messes ie Belkar

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Maldraedior posted:

She doesn't seem too thilled about it, she's mostly in it for the loot and the SNEAK ATTACK and while she does seem to like authority I think she'll be happy to have someone else around to shift blame onto and deal with messes ie Belkar
Plus she's in love with Elan.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
I'm betting anything there will be a "Mr Scruffy has been using my skeleton for WHAT?" type joke.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Jonked posted:

Plus she's in love with Elan.

Exactly. He's smart enough to manipulate her by simply dangling the Elan carrot in front of her. Wonder if we're gonna get a joke with one of the low level azure clerics spotting roy and trying to turn him, only to have him make some sarcastic comment about hit dice.

Also, I don't know how the rules work in OotS's world, but in D&D if you die and go to whatever plane your alignment matches, you're a petitioner (which I believe is technically an outsider), whereas if you appear as a ghost you're undead, with the whole negative energy bit. I wonder if Roy is some kind of incoporial outsider, rather than a true undead that would be susceptible to necromancy stuff, like turn undead and whatnot. It would be unusual if residents of the lawful good realm can just randomly pop down to the prime material by becoming negative energy powered undead.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
They could also just use the 3.5 'Deathless' template.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
How about we just make a NEW thread that is 'Fantasy comic time! OOTS, EW, Goblins, YAFGC, and more stupid letter combinations!'. This is pretty big and a name change/new thread with new rules might make everybody happy. Or everybody unhappy. Which is almost as good.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

None shall taint my favorite thread's purity of essence! The rivers will flow with the blood of Erfworld fans!

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The Werle posted:

None shall taint my favorite thread's purity of essence! The rivers will flow with the blood of Erfworld fans!

Oh great, now you've posted too much and people will think there's been an update, jerk <:mad:>

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
there has, just not to OotS,,,

xenosauridae
Apr 26, 2006

His sun sets and night falls in my heart.

RentACop posted:

Oh great, now you've posted too much and people will think there's been an update, jerk <:mad:>

It's true. I saw 16 replies and thought "Hot drat, must be a good one!"

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
New Comic!

http://xs124.xs.to/xs124/08055/oots_526447.gif

For when the site goes down.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Maybe I'm crazy, but the comics have seemed to be slowing down in frequency during the last couple weeks. I wonder if Burlew's health is flaring up again.

This comic disappointed me a bit. While I'm all in favor of running gags like the poof monsters, I'm really eager to see the plot moving and the band back together.

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.
I liked the "Ground: 1, Roy: 1" joke in this one.

BondageHoudini
Jul 12, 2006

this debate lacks any sexual intrigue so I am not even paying attention

KOraithER posted:

I liked the "Ground: 1, Roy: 1" joke in this one.

Yeah, this was a funny comic generally. I thought that was the best joke though!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
"Hey I wonder if this means my crap really does smell better than everyone else's?" Cracked me up :)

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

The Werle posted:

This comic disappointed me a bit. While I'm all in favor of running gags like the poof monsters, I'm really eager to see the plot moving and the band back together.
I'll go the opposite direction; I'm happy to see it get back to jokes, because lots of comics don't survive the transition from "funny" to "serious".

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Robot Bastard posted:

I'll go the opposite direction; I'm happy to see it get back to jokes, because lots of comics don't survive the transition from "funny" to "serious".

Seconded. I thought this was a great new iteration of the "flumph gets squashed" gag.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

I'm not saying I want things serious, far from it. I just would have preferred 3 panels max of flumph and then Roy somehow trying to grab Haley's attention instead of half flumph half offhand air freshener joke. The story needs to move on, I dont want this to be all DBZ with Roy being dead for 3 years.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Now, now. It'll only be DBZ if V's power-up to a spell takes ten months and features more grunts than a hog farm.

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite
Goddamn. I don't believe it hasn't occurred to me until now, but after seeing Roy's corpse, I really want to see action figures.

Actually, I want customizable blank vinyl OotS figures. Right the gently caress now.

e: and Werle, I liked the air freshener joke!

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

LuchadoresDelNixon posted:

Goddamn. I don't believe it hasn't occurred to me until now, but after seeing Roy's corpse, I really want to see action figures.

Actually, I want customizable blank vinyl OotS figures. Right the gently caress now.

e: and Werle, I liked the air freshener joke!
Wait...you want a Dead Roy action figure with removable air freshener and ka-rotty chop action?

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Nomenklatura posted:

Wait...you want a Dead Roy action figure with removable air freshener and ka-rotty chop action?

Punners go to Hell :colbert:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So since the Flumphs are a recurring lame monster feature I wonder exactly how lame are they in game terms?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Sylphosaurus posted:

So since the Flumphs are a recurring lame monster feature I wonder exactly how lame are they in game terms?

They're a lawful good race of floating intelligent jellyfish that fly by shooting out small blasts of air, and talk by wheezing out same. And if they're flipped upside-down, they're entirely helpless. They're lame more in terms of concept than in stats, although I've always had a soft spot for them and some of the other wackier 1e creatures, like the flail snail or the gorbel. Some of them were just too silly to hate.

They were never converted to 3.5 in any of the books, but Dungeon converted them for an adventure some time back. I've got a transcription of those stats, but I'm not sure if I should post them, since it's kind of a topic derail.

Idran fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 3, 2008

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Idran posted:

flail snail

There is no way that can be as awesome as it sounds. Please tell me I'm wrong.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Big Mad Drongo posted:

There is no way that can be as awesome as it sounds. Please tell me I'm wrong.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I'd be intereted in flumph stats. What would be the LA if you were to make them PCs?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Piell posted:

I was wrong. I was expecting one flail for its head, which makes it even more awesome than it sounded! :dance:

If it actually does good damage with those things and regrows heads like a hydra, I'm very, very sorry these things aren't in 3E.

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I was wrong. I was expecting one flail for its head, which makes it even more awesome than it sounded! :dance:

If it actually does good damage with those things and regrows heads like a hydra, I'm very, very sorry these things aren't in 3E.

It's a giant snail that bashes you. Here are some potential converted stats.
http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/vermin/flail_snail.htm

and some for the Flumph

http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/aberration/flumph.htm

edit: those should be 3ed conversions, not 3.5 or 4
edit deux: And if you care Flail Snails are CR 3, Flumphs are CR 2

gothfae fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 4, 2008

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

gothfae posted:

and some for the Flumph

http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/aberration/flumph.htm

That's actually a different conversion than the one I've got. Here's the one from Dungeon (With an LA!):

http://www.mysidia.org/flumph.txt

gothfae
Mar 28, 2004

There seems no plan because it is all plan. There seems no center because it is all center.

Idran posted:

That's actually a different conversion than the one I've got. Here's the one from Dungeon (With an LA!):

http://www.mysidia.org/flumph.txt

Yay, I get to start off two levels in debt, to be something that can be flipped on it's back and baked in the sun. Leon killed a guy over that.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
Actually weren't both of them in the Fiend Folio that got re-released about 4-5 years back?

plastickiwi
Dec 19, 2001

Tickled purple
The original Fiend Folio is a treasure. It introduced the drow (for whose later indulgences it is not responsible), as well the githyanki and githzerai, the slaad, the deep gnomes and the kuo-toa.

Among these now-iconic D&D staples we find creepy, bizarro poo poo like the pennangalan (flying female vampire head with viscera hanging from it) and the yellow musk creeper (mind controlling plant recently seen in the Goblins webcomic).

... and the flumph, the flail snail and several other awesomely laughable (or laughably awesome?) creatures. The whole book is one gigantic hardcover "WTF?"

I remember springing some of that crazy poo poo on players back in 1981. They begged me to go back to the Monster Manual but they still thought the drow were cool, and that was before the whole race was issued dual scimitars.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

Idran posted:

They're a lawful good race of floating intelligent jellyfish...

By the way, that's the answer to the trivia question, "What is the only lawful good monster in the original Fiend Folio?" Full of evil and ugly, that book was.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

gothfae posted:

Yay, I get to start off two levels in debt, to be something that can be flipped on it's back and baked in the sun. Leon killed a guy over that.

The worst part is that it can only attempt to flip itself over once per day. I think turtles have a better shot at righting themselves. Any PC would need to pump up Escape Artist as much as possible...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

gothfae posted:

It's a giant snail that bashes you. Here are some potential converted stats.
http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/vermin/flail_snail.htm

I don't care what anyone says, the idea of a giant snail oozing over to something then beating it to death with its (equivilent of) eyestalks is awesome and should be put in the Monster Manual. :colbert: