Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Jizzer
Mar 19, 2003

...a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.
Here's mine:

TV: Panasonic 50" 720p plasma
Speakers: Vandersteen 1C
Subwoofer: Hsu VTF-3 Mk. 2 (not pictured)
Game consoles: PS3, Xbox360, Wii
DVR: Dish Network ViP622
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR805
Furniture: Cherry/glass stand from Best Buy

The Jizzer fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 1, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supermercado
Aug 6, 2003
Was just delivered this morning. Been waiting for a few weeks to get it so I could post it here. Not the best picture but my camera's not the best. It's all video for now, going to look at sound sometime in the future, not sure when yet.

TV: 50" Pioneer, PDP-5080HD
DVR: Scientific Atlanta 8300HDC
Consoles: Xbox 360
DVD player: It's old and not upconverting, but I needed something for the bottom shelf, heh.
Stand: Bush Midnight Mist from Walmart

In the hour or so I've been watching, I'm quite pleased with it.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances

The Jizzer posted:

Here's mine:

Hot. I really want to demo some Vandies (specifically 2CE Sig IIs) but there's no dealers around. How are your 1Cs? Too bad you couldn't give them more room to breath. I like how those end caps match your TV stand though.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The Jizzer posted:

Here's mine:

TV: Panasonic 50" 720p plasma
Speakers: Vandersteen 1C
Subwoofer: Hsu VTF-3 Mk. 2 (not pictured)
Game consoles: PS3, Xbox360, Wii
DVR: Dish Network ViP622
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR805
Furniture: Cherry/glass stand from Best Buy

I have to say, am I the only one who thinks that in a scenario like this wall mounting just looks worse? You have a stand right there underneath it, you might as well make the TV eye level and get rid of that bad looking huge chord that hangs down the wall.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

The Dave posted:

I have to say, am I the only one who thinks that in a scenario like this wall mounting just looks worse? You have a stand right there underneath it, you might as well make the TV eye level and get rid of that bad looking huge chord that hangs down the wall.

I agree. In fact, I think it's kind of silly most of the time, especially in home theater type applications.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

The Dave posted:

I have the same stand and its pretty tall all on its own. That tv must be pretty drat high up.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Here's what I have going now, in my cluttered apartment.

You can see pretty much everything here, the computer of course connects to the TV as well via HDMI

A better view of the TV and such. On the left I have an upconverting DVD player, receiver, MOXI (a.k.a. DVR) and my printer.

View while on the computer

Obviously I have much to improve, but I really like what I have so far, considering my budget.

The Jizzer
Mar 19, 2003

Pibborando San posted:

Hot. I really want to demo some Vandies (specifically 2CE Sig IIs) but there's no dealers around. How are your 1Cs? Too bad you couldn't give them more room to breath. I like how those end caps match your TV stand though.

I love the poo poo out of these 1C's. I wouldn't MIND the 2CE's but they wouldn't fit where the 1C's are. They're much better at filling the room than my old bookshelf speakers.

And actually the endcaps don't quite match the AV stand, but they DO match all the other furniture in the house (Coffee table, end table, dining room table) EXACTLY. It astounded me when I unpacked them, and makes the wife happy.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

The Dave posted:

I think wall mounts, in general, look bad. They obviously have applications, and can look slick, but most people end up with a tv mounted near a boxy stand which looks silly and looks bad. Those stands with an arm that you mount on are pretty slick though.

I think you need slim component shelves that can float below the set, inset shelves near the tv or a component closet for it to actually look good.

The Jizzer
Mar 19, 2003

The Dave posted:

Routing the cord in the wall is my next project, along with getting in-ceiling surrounds installed.

Also having the TV on the stand makes it harder to see from the rest of the house (it's viewable from the kitchen and dining room this way).

Finally, that's not the "final" AV cabinet; we're getting a taller one that matches the other furniture.

edit: Oh, also forgot to mention that the top of the AV cabinet will be where the center channel sits. The one I'm getting is 32"x9.5"x5" so it can't very well fit anywhere else.

The Jizzer fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 4, 2008

BOOTY PIRATE
Jun 24, 2007

by Ozmaugh

not the best but im still in school so it isn't bad

42" philips 1080p LCD
ps3
sony bravia 5.1 surround

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

My old setup; (in college now.. sigh)

Yamaha HS80M self powered monitors
EMU 1616m PCI
My out of frame Beyerdymanic DT880's and Singlepower PPX Slam
Blue Bluebird mic for anti-geek internet talking

Only registered members can see post attachments!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Juriko posted:

All furniture was built and finished by myself and my father, and I like to think it looks pretty decent. Aluminum legs are courtesy Ikea. I would like to thank Ikea for saving me 50 dollars, the cost of similar legs from a furniture parts wholesaler. Pictures still need colored matting but I hate cutting them.

For what it's worth, your handmade AV furniture looks as good as or better than any other setup I have ever seen. I would easily pay through the nose for furniture that looks like that. I'm actually looking for something similar.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Martytoof posted:

For what it's worth, your handmade AV furniture looks as good as or better than any other setup I have ever seen. I would easily pay through the nose for furniture that looks like that. I'm actually looking for something similar.

Thanks a a lot. I actually study painting right now in college, and do design work and programming at the college too, so I like to think I have some eye for these things. The actually construction of it is really simple to the point that if you didn't mind wasting a lot of board you could get the things ripped for you at the store with no hassle and just assemble them. As it is the entire thing was done with a chop saw and a skill saw. The finishing is only so-so but most people don't notice. I was getting ready to move so We moved it before the clear-coat fully set which cause mottling. I also should have spent way more time sanding it.

Eventually I would like to redo them and actually spend more than a day on the construction. They look good enough as is, but could be dynamite with real craftsmanship. I am getting the matching shelves in tomorrow which I am excited about.

GreenaBoy
Jan 7, 2005

I like to fart in the bathtub and bite the bubbles...GRAVITAS!!!

Don't have too much going on right now since my wife and I are stuck at my parents until we can get on our feet.

Vizio 37inch with Wii, 360 and PS2. As for sound I got a free Cambridge SoundWorks amp/speakers.

I've got some Logitech 5.1 speakers hooked up to my computer for music listening.

This chair is awesome because it swivels great for when we have company over.

And my lovesac closet. It's not the prettiest but I took the two extra Logitech speakers and stuck them up in the corner of the closet. It's really nice to watch movies or play video games with the 5.1. It's great to lay back and listen to some music in my little corner since we live with my parents and can't play music too loud.

the letter b
Apr 21, 2003
...no more disruptive than Insight.
Finally got sorted in the new house. Now the coffee table doesn't match. :(

42" LG LCD
A pair of Wharfedale Xarus 4000 speakers (eh)
Sony DG510 Receiver
Original Xbox (now replaced by the HTPC)
Xbox 360
HTPC in a Silverstone LC16M (Core 2 Duo 2.33/2GB/~1.2TB of storage/ATI 2400Pro/Dual Tuners)

the letter b fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 12, 2008

Bumpon10s
Dec 9, 2004

Gentleman, we have seen the future.

the letter b posted:

Your gear is nice, but I really think a large rear projection TV would be awesome in that room.

Moreso, I love those loving floors. Were they just put in, or just refinished?

stfuDonny
Jun 20, 2005

Inconceivable.
Fun Shoe
the letter b, where on earth did you get that stand/console? I love it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

the letter b posted:

Time to take the table apart and paint the main piece black! You can probably get away with removing the glass, masking the legs, and spraying it like crazy.

Your TV area is also screaming to have a rug.

the letter b
Apr 21, 2003

Bumpon10s posted:

Your gear is nice, but I really think a large rear projection TV would be awesome in that room.

Moreso, I love those loving floors. Were they just put in, or just refinished?

Funny you mention the TV. Where we were living the TV was way way way way too big for the living room. Now with the high ceilings and large living room it really does feel small.

The floors were refinished nearly 12 months ago - I'm just very anal about keeping them nice.

stfuDonny posted:

the letter b, where on earth did you get that stand/console? I love it.

Believe it or not - Ikea. I think its called the 'Leksvik' or something close to that. It required a bit of reinforcing to cope with the weight but for less than $200 all up it's a pretty nice piece of furniture.

The Dave posted:

Time to take the table apart and paint the main piece black! You can probably get away with removing the glass, masking the legs, and spraying it like crazy.

Your TV area is also screaming to have a rug.

Good idea - for some reason I didn't even think about painting it. Good idea about the rug, too - I think I'd like something small for under the table but that's about all. I really like my floors and don't particularly want to cover them up a great deal.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

the letter b posted:

Good idea - for some reason I didn't even think about painting it. Good idea about the rug, too - I think I'd like something small for under the table but that's about all. I really like my floors and don't particularly want to cover them up a great deal.

It is more about visually breaking up the space. By getting a rug for the area between the couch and the TV that space will feel more uniform and solid. The trick is getting a color and shade that enhances the look of the surrounding hardwoods.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
I agree get a rug between couch and TV because that hardwood floor is awesome but theres just tooooo much of it.

Slap Happy
Apr 14, 2006

the letter b posted:

Funny you mention the TV. Where we were living the TV was way way way way too big for the living room. Now with the high ceilings and large living room it really does feel small.

I think its a perfect living room TV. If it were bigger it would become the entire focus of the room. Nice house by the way. Just from that one picture it looks really nice.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I agree. I wouldn't put anything larger than a 50" in that room for fear of it taking focus.

That is a fantastic looking room, but I'm all about open, airy, and minimalist (which may or may not be your intended look :haw: )

blue vein steel
Feb 5, 2004

i am the video word made flesh
living room (yes, it is dusty): Denon DVD player and receiver, Samsung CRT HDTV, Timeframe TF400 loudspeakers, Denon center, surrounds and subwoofer, XBox 360

bedroom: Yamaha CA-800 integrated amp (being used as a pre-amp since my Citation 11's phono inputs are hosed up), Harmon/Kardon Citation 12 amp, Technics SL-1500 turntable with a Grado Red cartridge and APL-101 speakers

blue vein steel fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 12, 2008

the letter b
Apr 21, 2003

Explosm posted:

I think its a perfect living room TV. If it were bigger it would become the entire focus of the room. Nice house by the way. Just from that one picture it looks really nice.

I was considering maybe 50" at the most - it's 50% for TV size 50% because I'd like to put this TV in the bedroom :D.

Martytoof posted:

That is a fantastic looking room, but I'm all about open, airy, and minimalist (which may or may not be your intended look :haw: )

Thanks. Open and airy is definitely something we're trying to achieve - the high ceilings were what drew us to this house in the first place and are definitely a factor in 'open and airy'.

Minimalist is often accidental for me - I like to keep things neat and in setting something up that allows me to keep things neat and tidy with little work I end up with minimalist a lot of the time.

giundy
Dec 10, 2005
About time to do mine. Moved back in with my parents after college. Spending money is really tempting now that I make in two weeks what used to take a year at my part time job. So bought a TV, everything else was carried over from college.

View from the bed

Toshiba Regza, 42" 720p. No idea what the contrast ratio is, there are no specs available. Great tv options and remembers things like channel preferences and you can set colors for each input.

The stack:

Pioneer VSX D411 (Got this in HS 6 years ago before HDMI, works but could have more options)
Sony C350z 5 disc CD changer (hardly gets used)
Generic DVD player
Xbox, broken. (Media center project replaced by computer)

Nothing special here, Logitech Z-5300 5.1 speakers
Computer however has Vista Ultimate and media center, pretty awesome with the tv. Also has an optical out to the receiver.

The pride of the operation: Sansui series 6SP-1700 (6 was the reciever), straigh out of the 70s. These are 5 speaker 3 way, 12" sub, 2 5" mid, and 2 1.5" tweeters in a solid oak case. They sound beautiful. Used to have a matching receiver but a channel went out.

Regarded as the ugliest sub ever made, the Sony SAW M500 12" 150 watt sub. I bought it when at college and didn't have the Sansuis with me. The speakers I had were terrible so this was necessary. Now its good for just shaking the room. Watching 1408 in HD over the weekend was awesome when you could feel the cheap shock scenes.

Just for surround. These served as normal speakers in college but back to satellite duty. Regular book shelfs will take their place, along with a better way to mount them. Not sure how long I'll stay at home so this isn't a priority.

Not even used. 15" 3way Fischer
Pretty good quality, just no place for it in use.

Thats about it. No plans except bookshelves when I move out. If I can't take the Sansuis then those will get replaced as well.

giundy fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 13, 2008

the letter b
Apr 21, 2003

giundy posted:

The pride of the operation: Sansui series 6, straigh out of the 70s. These are 5 speaker 3 way, 12" sub, 2 5" mid, and 2 1.5" tweeters in a solid oak case. They sound beautiful. Used to have a matching receiver but a channel went out.

Wow! My Father had a pair of these that I used daily and they were absolutely amazing. I'd love a pair for nostalgic purposes.

giundy
Dec 10, 2005
I'm surprised, eBay has a set up right now:http://cgi.ebay.com/Sansui-SP-1700-...7QQcmdZViewItem

If I knew they were in the same condition I'd buy another pair just to have. Thats the price my dad paid per speaker 35 years ago.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Pibborando San posted:

Vandersteen.com lists a dealer in Eugene, OR. Yeah, it's not particularly close, but it would still only be a day trip to go out and audition the speakers. I personally my 1Cs, but I would love to upgrade to the 2CEs. I consider those the least expensive speaker that I could live with forever. Smooth sound, good resolution, great bass extension. There's a reason the Vandie 2 is one of the best-selling speakers ever.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances

TheMadMilkman posted:

Vandersteen.com lists a dealer in Eugene, OR. Yeah, it's not particularly close, but it would still only be a day trip to go out and audition the speakers.

Oh nice. Why didn't I see that before? And they have Era speakers too which I've been wanting to hear. Might have to take a little trip soon...

Hockeyman
Dec 19, 2003

I'm sorry, I wasn't listening.
Finally got around to posting this.

My Setup:

Samsung 56" DLP
Onkyo TX-SR 875
7.1 Setup with speakers made from TyroneShoes designs in the Build your own speakers thread.
lovely Motorola digital cable/DVR with HD pack
PS3
PC connected via HDMI and digital coax in other room (50 ft runs) (my main machine that I wanted in the other room)

Everything in the setup is connected via HDMI and I'm trying out the video upconversion on the Onkyo, and aside from the SD cable, works pretty well.

Some of my collection on a rack my mom got for me. I didn't realize how bad a shot this is, and you can't see some of the Blu-Ray collection. Planet Earth and a few others. Also, roommate is borrowing season 1 of the office. :argh:

The shots don't include much of the surrounding area because I live in a lovely college apartment and will be moving out in a few months. There isn't much to look at, and really the only redeeming aspect of the apartment is the stuff that I've got.

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!

the letter b posted:

Throw a rug under there to pull everything together.

the letter b
Apr 21, 2003
There's a few rug suggestions about my loungeroom, and I'm wondering what your guys thoughts are on this.

I'm struggling to think of how I can put a rug in there that wont make it look unbalanced or off centre. Are you suggesting something small under the coffee table or something big enough to encompass couch/table/cabinet?

I do get the feeling that there's something missing from there but I would like some advice!

the letter b fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 28, 2008

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I feel as a graphic designer I should come up with a better mock-up but my photoshop color manager is all hosed up with my monitor and I can edit much at home.

That being said I would probably do something roughly like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sexellent
Mar 28, 2004
yes... very sexellent
I install AV systems for a living...

Here is my set up:

Downstairs:

Main Zone:

Samsung LN-T5265F 52" 120 hz refresh 1080P LCD flat screen
Yamaha RX-V861 Full HDMI 1.3 support with Full Upscaling (uses the newer processor for no motion blur or video lag/speed catch up)
Logitech Harmony 1000 LCD touchscreen IR/RF remote
Polk Audio TC series in wall box speakers and an LC series for center
Polk PSW505 subwoofer with a PSW1000 on the way
Yamaha integrated Ipod Dock
Sandisk digital media server dock
DirecTV HR21-700 HD HDMI DVR
Playstation 3 80 gb model
Xbox360 Elite 120 gb HDMI
Nintendo Wii
HTPC built to play 1080P feeds via the gigabit network from the media server (3.5 tb, need to upgrade to more space)
Wireless bluetooth laptop replica keyboard w/ touch pad

Zone 2:

Pair of Channel Vision IC-801 8" round in ceiling speakers and Russound ALTX Decora Volume Control in: Garage, Laundry Room, Master Bedroom, Master Bath, Kitchen.
Pair of Jamo outdoor 8A2 8" speakers and Jamo Weather Proof volume control on back patio.
Russound SS-6.2 6 speaker selector

Upstairs:

Sony STR-D715 (old throw away, just using as a stereo amp in the mean time)
Audio to Sony feeds from: 1/8" audio jack for any mp3 player, from a computer upstairs for mp3 play lists and from the Yamaha downstairs for full home audio
Linksys WRT600N gigabit 4 port switch built in with wireless N in 2.4 and 5 ghz frequency bands
Netgear JGS524 - 24 ports of gigabit connectivity and lifetime warranty
Pair of Channel Vision IC-201 8" round in ceiling speakers and Russound ALTX Decora Volume Control in: Loft, Bedroom 2, Bedroom 3, Bathroom 2.

**The entire house is wired with RJ45 x (2) at each volume control for a full home automation system to be installed at a later date.**

And so begins the pictures -

Everyone needs seating - extra long 4 person couches with recliners, back row on custom built 1.5' tall platform carpeted for comfort:

TV front wall with custom built in cabinet and wall mounted TV/Spkrs. Blue back lighting in cabinet thanks to aftermarket LED strip on PS3:

TV back wall - note immense wiring coiled on the left for full home automation. DVD case wall mountable brackets on the right, after a long search, were located at Walmart:

If I could have made the wires disappear I would have, unfortunately I couldn't do that so I settled for zip ties and a lot of tedious wire management:

Volume control and speakers in the kitchen for house parties (no I'm not going to take a picture of every speaker in every room damnit):

Back patio for the cooking of food and rocking of music:

Upstairs media niche where upstairs sound is distributed along with DirecTV and Internet/Network/Files:

What the rest of the volume controls in the house look like since the kitchen has the only black face plates:

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
That is amazing. Maybe one day when I'm older, I'll have a setup like that :).

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
that wiring is super clean, looks nice

how does full house audio work, mainly the russound speaker selector, is that remote controlled or do you have to switch it manually?

also im guessing by the polk gear you must get that stuff HEAVILY discounted?

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

sexellent posted:

Samsung LN-T5265F 52" 120 hz refresh 1080P LCD flat screen

Nope...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexellent
Mar 28, 2004
yes... very sexellent
Phillyt- you don't have to wait that long, I'm only 24. You can do it!

Omegaslast- The russound volume control is an analog multi-switch, the control will change when the full house automation goes in. For now I leave all the volume controls turned down and only turn up the rooms I want sound in.

.Nathan. The whole main board and a few minor parts were replaced by Samsung along with a firmware update. I watch glorious blue ray all day long without stuttering or TBE. Why the "Nope..."?

sexellent fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 28, 2008